HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

OT: Sundin (UPDATE: signs w/Vancouver)

Old
12-07-2008, 05:41 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Depends, definitely worth looking at if he's not gone by the trade deadline. If he can get out of this slump that he seems to be in, then he'd be worth keeping around, otherwise, he's a waste of money, trade him for what you can get.
I think they move him even if he ends up with 40 goals this year. They just have to clear out some forward costs over the next two seasons, because the cap is not going to go up, and could well come crashing down.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 05:44 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
I think they move him even if he ends up with 40 goals this year. They just have to clear out some forward costs over the next two seasons, because the cap is not going to go up, and could well come crashing down.
I wouldn't go as far as crashing down, but I'd expect it to go down this year because of a crappy worldwide economy.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 05:47 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
So this is really a Garrioch rumor thread, with Spector floating is inane assumptions.

Pierre LeBrun said on Hotstove last night that the league does not anticipate the cap to go down.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 05:52 PM
MountainHawk

Flat this year, but without a minor miracle, 2010-11 is going down.

Old
12-07-2008, 06:13 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
So this is really a Garrioch rumor thread, with Spector floating is inane assumptions.

Pierre LeBrun said on Hotstove last night that the league does not anticipate the cap to go down.
I've been hearing that from all the major companies in the last 6 months and yet things just keep going down. They could anticipate all they want, but at this rate anticipating means jack-****.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 06:19 PM
MountainHawk

It'll probably be flat for 2009-10. So much of the revenue is gotten early in the season (July-August) so that they won't feel TOO much from the credit crisis this season. Even if they come up a little short, they can jigger the inflation percentage to keep it flat it order to give teams more time to sort it out.

Old
12-07-2008, 06:21 PM
MountainHawk

One interesting possibility is that the NHLPA could not want to see the cap go down at all, and they would keep agreeing to bump up the inflation factor year after year to keep the cap flat, until revenues caught back up to the cap level. The escrow hits would be huge, of course, but it would somewhat avoid the flood of available players with no cap room to sign them.

Old
12-07-2008, 06:23 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
One interesting possibility is that the NHLPA could not want to see the cap go down at all, and they would keep agreeing to bump up the inflation factor year after year to keep the cap flat, until revenues caught back up to the cap level. The escrow hits would be huge, of course, but it would somewhat avoid the flood of available players with no cap room to sign them.
This is how I see it playing out.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 07:26 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
or maybe at the draft/trade deadline when people are looking for scorers. i'd love to get another 1st rounder at this draft (i know, pipe dream that lupul gets a 1st). look what happened the last time we had 2 firsts in a deep draft
You never know. Lupuls scores 8-10 goals in playoffs and we may land a high pick.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 07:46 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
or maybe at the draft/trade deadline when people are looking for scorers. i'd love to get another 1st rounder at this draft (i know, pipe dream that lupul gets a 1st). look what happened the last time we had 2 firsts in a deep draft
Well apparently Steve Eminger and RJ Umberger are worth 1st rounders so who knows.

However, unless we're planning on replacing him with Shanahan or something and are very confident that JVR or Giroux will be ready to seriously contribute next season, then I wouldn't just give him away. The Flyers have the talent to be serious contenders this year, and if Biron (or Nitty) goes on a hot streak during the playoffs, we'd have a good shot. No sense in dumping NHL players for prospects that won't be ready for several years.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 10:29 PM
Jester

Quote:
It'll probably be flat for 2009-10. So much of the revenue is gotten early in the season (July-August) so that they won't feel TOO much from the credit crisis this season. Even if they come up a little short, they can jigger the inflation percentage to keep it flat it order to give teams more time to sort it out.
Indeed, season tickets for this year were already bought...merchandise will be down some, but they've already sold everything. If the job market continues to plummet, one would expect ticket revenue to get hit hard next year.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 10:53 PM
IrishSniper87

As much as I like Lupul, I don't see how he fits with the team next year.

I see JVR taking Lupul's roster spot.

Gagne-Richards-Knuble?
Upshall-Carter-Hartnell
JVR-Briere-Nodl/Giroux
Cote-Metro-Asham

Briere could be moved to wing and have some AHL'er center 4th

Gagne-Ricards-Hartnell
Upshall-Carter-Briere
Nodl-Metropolit-Giroux
Cote-AHL'er-Asham

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 11:12 PM
mm6492

Lets sign Shanny, and sundin
Trade for gaborik and J-Bo

gagne-Richards-Gaborik
Upshall-carter-shanny
Briere-sundin-lupul

timmoen-coburn
j-bow - vananen
jones-parent
sbisa-alberts

maybe we can even throw a trade in for luongo

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 12:38 AM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post

Dunno how significant it is but JVR is a left wing, Lupul is a right wing and unlike Upshall or Hartnell I have never really seen Lups play the left.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 01:50 AM
letsgoflyers75

Send a message via AIM to letsgoflyers75 Send a message via MSN to letsgoflyers75
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post

gagne-Richards-Gaborik
Upshall-carter-shanny
Briere-sundin-lupul

timmoen-coburn
j-bow - vananen
jones-parent
sbisa-alberts

There's a salary cap.

letsgoflyers75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 02:59 AM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgoflyers75 View Post
There's a salary cap.
I think he meant it sarcastically.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 03:02 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post

gagne-Richards-Gaborik
Upshall-carter-shanny
Briere-sundin-lupul

timmoen-coburn
j-bow - vananen
jones-parent
sbisa-alberts

I wish we could do that. But there's a salary cap.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 08:20 AM
DUHockey9

What is this salary cap everyone keep's mentioning?

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 08:31 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
Dunno how significant it is but JVR is a left wing, Lupul is a right wing and unlike Upshall or Hartnell I have never really seen Lups play the left.
It's not significant. I know Lupul plays the right side, but if we have JVR replace him, how does that have anything to do with Lupul playing on the left? If we replace Lupul, he is gone, meaning his new team can put him on the right. Upshall and Hartnell can play either side, so we put JVR on the left and Harts on the right. Problem solved.

Gagne Richards Briere
JVR Carter Hartnell
Upshall Metro Nodl/Giroux
Cote AHL'er Asham

These are not lines as much of a depth chart. I think Briere might be good on Carters wing actually.

Gagne-Richards-Knuble
Upshall-Carter-Hartnell
JVR-Briere-Nodl/Giroux
Cote-Metro-Asham

????

Lupul is gone, playing whatever side he wants.

Old
12-08-2008, 08:37 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
Well apparently Steve Eminger and RJ Umberger are worth 1st rounders so who knows.

However, unless we're planning on replacing him with Shanahan or something and are very confident that JVR or Giroux will be ready to seriously contribute next season, then I wouldn't just give him away. The Flyers have the talent to be serious contenders this year, and if Biron (or Nitty) goes on a hot streak during the playoffs, we'd have a good shot. No sense in dumping NHL players for prospects that won't be ready for several years.
i agree. a draft-day deal would certainly work- use him in the playoffs, hope he inflates his value by scoring a boatload of goals, then trade him to a team desperate for some scoring. regardless of when we deal him, someone needs to go if we're going to be able to work under the cap next season.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 09:45 AM
DUHockey9

Why does everyone forget we got a 3rd rounder along with Eminger? So we didn't really trade a 1st for him, we traded down and got him as compensation. Granted picks aren't worth as much as in say, Football...but still.

Old
12-08-2008, 09:49 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:

Quote:
i agree. a draft-day deal would certainly work- use him in the playoffs, hope he inflates his value by scoring a boatload of goals, then trade him to a team desperate for some scoring. regardless of when we deal him, someone needs to go if we're going to be able to work under the cap next season.
The thing about Eminger is that he isn't worth a 1st, but thats not all that was apart of the deal. People forget that we traded our 27th overall (bottom first round, glorified 2nd rounder actually, John Carlson) for Steve Eminger AND 84th overall (3rd round, Jacob Deserres). So in essence, Steve Eminger was more of a way for the Caps to move up 60 spots in the draft.

RJ was traded with our 4th rounder (Drew Olson) for the 19th overall pick (Luca Sbisa) and a 3rd rounder (Marc-Andre Bourdon).

So actually, RJ was worth a 1st AND the ability to swap a 4th for a 3rd. So RJ was worth MORE then a first. Eminger was worth much less, as he was traded with a 3rd for a 1st.

I think if Lupul has a good end to the season, we can trade him for a 1st and bring up JVR, which would make my pants tighter!

Old
12-08-2008, 09:56 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
The thing about Eminger is that he isn't worth a 1st, but thats not all that was apart of the deal. People forget that we traded our 27th overall (bottom first round, glorified 2nd rounder actually, John Carlson) for Steve Eminger AND 84th overall (3rd round, Jacob Deserres). So in essence, Steve Eminger was more of a way for the Caps to move up 60 spots in the draft.

RJ was traded with our 4th rounder (Drew Olson) for the 19th overall pick (Luca Sbisa) and a 3rd rounder (Marc-Andre Bourdon).

So actually, RJ was worth a 1st AND the ability to swap a 4th for a 3rd. So RJ was worth MORE then a first. Eminger was worth much less, as he was traded with a 3rd for a 1st.

I think if Lupul has a good end to the season, we can trade him for a 1st and bring up JVR, which would make my pants tighter!
Thank you! Someone else realizes this!

Old
12-08-2008, 11:58 AM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
I wish we could do that. But there's a salary cap.
I was kidding

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 01:13 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Moving Lupul is still the most sensible option, but it's to clear cap space for reasons other than Sundin.

Even though Garrioch is full of **** most days, this same information was on tsn.ca the other day...for what it's worth.
I am not opposed to moving Lupul, however, I hestitate to do it until next season, unless we have to. We were banking on Giroux being ready this year and he wasnt. Who is to say that he and JVR are ready next year???

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
moving knuble is a mistake. the man is a stabilizing force in the locker room and he does his job well, for relatively cheap. moving lupul is fine, i don't want knuble gone.
Agreed. I will not go as far as saying he is untouchable, but I think he is a much more important part of this team than people think.

Quote:
Personally, I think move Lupul after the season for a pick.
Quote:

Quote:

Gagne-Richards-Knuble?
Upshall-Carter-Hartnell
JVR-Briere-Nodl/Giroux
Cote-Metro-Asham

Briere could be moved to wing and have some AHL'er center 4th

Gagne-Ricards-Hartnell
Upshall-Carter-Briere
Nodl-Metropolit-Giroux
Cote-AHL'er-Asham

Quote:
It's not significant. I know Lupul plays the right side, but if we have JVR replace him, how does that have anything to do with Lupul playing on the left? If we replace Lupul, he is gone, meaning his new team can put him on the right. Upshall and Hartnell can play either side, so we put JVR on the left and Harts on the right. Problem solved.

Gagne Richards Briere
JVR Carter Hartnell
Upshall Metro Nodl/Giroux
Cote AHL'er Asham

These are not lines as much of a depth chart. I think Briere might be good on Carters wing actually.

Gagne-Richards-Knuble
Upshall-Carter-Hartnell
JVR-Briere-Nodl/Giroux
Cote-Metro-Asham

????

Lupul is gone, playing whatever side he wants.
Enough with the Briere to wing stuff, it was tried at the beginning of this season and failed. As much as I wanted to see him tried with Carter if he was moved to wing, I am beginning to think Carter just needs wingers to do some dirty work in the offensive zone, not one that is going to want the puck as much as he does.

And again, Metro is not a 3rd line center on a cup team IMO.....If we have a better 3rd line center than fine.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote