HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal Power Play. Any solutions?

Old
12-08-2008, 03:30 AM
Jean Beliveau

vCash: 500
Montreal Power Play. Any solutions?

2008-2009 - REGULAR SEASON (after 26 games played)
POWER PLAY GOALS= 17 (pro rated over a full season= 53)
POWER PLAY % = 13.9

2007-2008 - REGULAR SEASON
POWER PLAY GOALS= 90
POWER PLAY % = 24.1

2006-2007 - REGULAR SEASON
POWER PLAY GOALS= 86
POWER PLAY % = 22.8

WTF is BG doing?

Address the problem already.

Tanguay, Brisebois, Lang, Gorges are not adequate replacements for the likes of Streit ot Souray. (IT'S NOT WORKING)

Bring up Weber. Let's see what he can do. We all know that he 's got the big slapper. He may be young but boy can he fire the puck.

If not Weber. How about a trade?

Let's go after Barker or Seabrook from Chicago.
What about MA Bergeron or S Salo. Maybe Gilbert or Visnoky from Edmonton.

We clearly have the talent to be at the top again but we need that missing piece.

This is clearly a responsibility of Gainey, Gauthier and maybe even Timmins to solve.
Maybe the solution is in Europe a la Streit or in a trade but it cannot be ignored much longer.

How many more points would we now have with a top power play.

Thoughts.

Jean Beliveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 05:47 AM
MonacoBlue

Barker and Seabrook aren't available.
MA-Bergeron can't play defense and, because of his chemistry with Zidlicky, will cost far more than he is worth (not much).
Salo, not a bad idea, but he is injury prone. Do you want a guy tying up cap room through 2011?
As for Gilbert and Visnovsky, well Vis is too expensive contract-wise but Gilbert is probably available at the right price.

If there is a solution, Gainey will find it, but, for the most part, players generally don't move until after Christmas. After that, better options will become available. Of all the options you listed, only one is possibly a good solution and I don't doubt Gainey's thought about it. There's probably a reason this team is stuck with Lang as triggerman.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 05:48 AM
Prudentius

Mark Streit

Prudentius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 06:21 AM
HockeyF3ind

His name is Andrei Kostitsyn.....he has a boomer.....and we should use it...i know carbo is scared ****less of short handed goals....but with the power play this crappy he should just suck it up and put A kost there...and yes on the 5 on 4....

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 06:22 AM
Riverside Habs Fan

Send a message via AIM to Riverside Habs Fan Send a message via MSN to Riverside Habs Fan
Start Praying...

Riverside Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 07:26 AM
theboss*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside Habs Fan View Post
Start Praying...
I only do that in the playoffs

theboss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 07:47 AM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyF3ind View Post
His name is Andrei Kostitsyn.....he has a boomer.....and we should use it...i know carbo is scared ****less of short handed goals....but with the power play this crappy he should just suck it up and put A kost there...and yes on the 5 on 4....
Kostitsyn on the point is the answer, if you're worried about SHG you should learn to fear Lang out there playing "defense".

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 07:59 AM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
Kostitsyn on the point is the answer, if you're worried about SHG you should learn to fear Lang out there playing "defense".
Don't get me wrong I love Carbo...think he's done some pretty great work.....but he's a total vagina (excuse the misogyny) when it comes to doing the aggressive risky things that you sometimes need to succeed. Not putting A Kost on the point in the PP is a huge glaring gaff IMO, especially this late in the season. His other problem is his total lack of balls when it comes to pulling the goalie (when we are losing) in the last minutes of the game....he almost always does it entirely too late, and surprisingly not even when we have a pp and only minutes to go...you don't get any points for a loss....Carbo should remember that when he pats himself on the back at the end of the season for having few empty netters scored on his team.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 08:04 AM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyF3ind View Post
Don't get me wrong I love Carbo...think he's done some pretty great work.....but he's a total vagina (excuse the misogyny) when it comes to doing the aggressive risky things that you sometimes need to succeed. Not putting A Kost on the point in the PP is a huge glaring gaff IMO, especially this late in the season. His other problem is his total lack of balls when it comes to pulling the goalie (when we are losing) in the last minutes of the game....he almost always does it entirely too late, and surprisingly not even when we have a pp and only minutes to go...you don't get any points for a loss....Carbo should remember that when he pats himself on the back at the end of the season for having few empty netters scored on his team.
I mostly agree, but there were times last season when we pulled the goalie with 2 minutes to go if my memory is correct. And hey, he sure has the balls to play grinders where they shouldn't, I don't understand why he doesnt take the same risks, like you said, of trying something that WORKED against the Rangers. And I'm talking about the point situation where Kostitsyn fired a couple booming shots on goal from the blue line whenever the puck came to him.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 08:11 AM
tchendoh

Send a message via ICQ to tchendoh Send a message via MSN to tchendoh Send a message via Yahoo to tchendoh
Sergei Zubov!!

tchendoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 08:24 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Right now it's just making the simple play,put the puck on net and make the 2 wingers crash for rebounds.The 2 wingers are way out of the play and allows their D to clear the puck easily

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 08:54 AM
Habs178

I just feel like they need to shoot at the net, To me it feels like they spend their 2 minutes setting themselves up and passing the puck around. You aren't going to score on your power play if you aren't shooting the puck.

Habs178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 10:29 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Markov is more than capable to shoot the puck the way Souray and Streit did. There are two problems right now in my opinion:
  1. Markov misses the net too often
  2. there is no one in front of the net to screen the goalie and take rebounds

So my quick fix is to get Latendresse back in the line-up and clearly explain to him that his role on the PP is to get his big body in front of the net, period. The same goes for Higgins or Lang on the other PP unit.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 10:32 AM
rheroux

I think the PP is doing okay, they just aren't burying their chances. How many times has Markov missed his little backdoor shot in the past couple of games? I'd say at least 3.

Last season they were converting on those chances, this season they're missing a lot of open cages (Lang has missed more than his fair share as well).

rheroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 10:32 AM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Markov is more than capable to shoot the puck the way Souray and Streit did. There are two problems right now in my opinion:
  1. Markov misses the net too often
  2. there is no one in front of the net to screen the goalie and take rebounds

So my quick fix is to get Latendresse back in the line-up and clearly explain to him that his role on the PP is to get his big body in front of the net, period. The same goes for Higgins or Lang on the other PP unit.
If only they did

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Magic33

I think its just cold right now. They're in a slump. Im sure its in their heads right now as soon as we get a PP. They're nervous. When you have skilled guys like Kovalev, Tanguay, Koivu, Markov .... eventually they will start scoring. They are all too good not to. Once it heats up, it will stay hot. They need to get on a roll

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 10:48 AM
Pr3Va1L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Right now it's just making the simple play,put the puck on net and make the 2 wingers crash for rebounds.The 2 wingers are way out of the play and allows their D to clear the puck easily
Wut?! "Crash" the net?

Never heard of it.

Pr3Va1L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 11:26 AM
la25ecoupe

Step 1. Shoot the puck.

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Here's one way to keep the boys in front of the net...

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 11:27 AM
la25ecoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheroux View Post
I think the PP is doing okay, they just aren't burying their chances. How many times has Markov missed his little backdoor shot in the past couple of games? I'd say at least 3.

Last season they were converting on those chances, this season they're missing a lot of open cages (Lang has missed more than his fair share as well).
Markov needs to LIFT the puck!!

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 11:32 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr3Va1L View Post
Wut?! "Crash" the net?

Never heard of it.
Are you a player on the Habs?

Old
12-08-2008, 11:32 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Here's one way to keep the boys in front of the net...

Tabarnac now that's hot!!!!! You can add her picture in the why everyone hates us Thread!!!

Old
12-08-2008, 11:37 AM
Yanic

Since Kovalev's no longer effective on the half boards, Tanguay's not working as a pointman and Markov prefers the left point, how about this:

1st Wave
Lang-Koivu-Tanguay
Markov-Kovalev

The PP starts in the o-zone so it's important to have two centres on the first wave in case one is thrown out of the draw. Also good to have a right shot on the left side and vice-versa for cross-ice feeds/one timers. Koivu is one of the few willing to pay the price in front of the net. Kovalev has a good one timer/slapper, so I think it's worth trying him on the right point as the trigger man - he will have a lot more net to shoot at then from the half boards/right circle. He can deke or give and go with Markov and move into the high slot if he is pressured. I think the other teams will have a lot of trouble against this formation.

2nd wave
D'Ago/Lats/SK74-Pleks-Higgins
Hammer-AK46

Yanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 11:39 AM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

When a Penalty is called on the Opposition, Montreal should decline the penalties

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 11:41 AM
gillyguzzler

On every PP, you need a passers (our best are Koivu, Tanguay and Markov), shooters (our best are Kovy and AKost) and some traffic in front of the net.

If we have Koivu and Markov on the left side feeding either Kovy (right wing) or AKost (right point), one of the two should be open for the one timer.

Who do we have that can stand in front of the net, take the abuse, deflect the shots, put in the rebounds,...??? Lang's big but stands to the side. Lats is eating poutine with OB and doesn't seem to want to take the abuse when he's there. 4th liners have no hands. Truth be told... we don't really have one. Higgins maybe? D'Ago?

Last edited by gillyguzzler: 12-08-2008 at 11:42 AM. Reason: ...
gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote