HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal Power Play. Any solutions?

Old
12-08-2008, 11:43 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
On every PP, you need a passers (our best are Koivu, Tanguay and Markov), shooters (our best are Kovy and AKost) and some traffic in front of the net.

If we have Koivu and Markov on the left side feeding either Kovy (right wing) or AKost (right point), one of the two should be open for the one timer.

Who do we have that can stand in front of the net, take the abuse, deflect the shots, put in the rebounds,...??? Lang's big but stands to the side. Lats is eating poutine with OB and doesn't seem to want to take the abuse when he's there. 4th liners have no hands. Truth be told... we don't really have one. Higgins maybe?
A.Kost did it all of last year. But for a guy to stand in front, you need to get point shots on net and other guys going in for rebounds. After a point shot, the 4 PK guys usually collapse down to recover the puck.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 02:43 PM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
A.Kost did it all of last year. But for a guy to stand in front, you need to get point shots on net and other guys going in for rebounds. After a point shot, the 4 PK guys usually collapse down to recover the puck.
I agree but they haven't used him there much this season and I'd like them to give him a shot at the right point. Lang certainly isn't the answer there. A good shooter at the right point helps open up the lane for Kovy also on the right side. I don't think the opposition is too afraid of Lang's one timer.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 04:14 PM
Santino

carbo has to be smarter who he puts on the power play, putting Laraque on your power and keeping Brisebois at the point will not gernerate you goals. My suggestion would be to bring up Webber, he has a great shot and i think would be able to contribute more than anyone else has been contributing at the point.

Santino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 04:38 PM
Plekanetzz

Weber can't be worst then O'Byrne....

Plekanetzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 07:01 PM
madbox

I like Tanguay, I really do, but he's f-terrible on the point. PKers knows damn well he's no threat back there, it's too easy for them.

If Carbo doesn't start putting A-Kost on the point 5-on-4, I'm gonna have a fricking aneurysm.

madbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 07:08 PM
Lone Rogue

Solution: Continue to improve on the PK and 5 on 5.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 07:40 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Solution: His name is Ilya Kovalchuk.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 07:51 PM
Lone Rogue

The teams powerplay is struggling and we're still Top 5 in most NHL stats.

The teams top scoring line last season doesn't exist anymore and has been completely shuffled, yet we're still scoring at a solid pace.

Our penalty kill has improved and our 5 on 5 has improved, two areas we had to work on. We're no longer waiting for the other team to mess up just to get a goal. Once Komisarek returns, out PK will be even better.

Just because we're not first in everything in the NHL doesn't mean we need to panic. It's just the season. Stop worrying about the Bruins either, Joe might be gone, but he learned to choke from wearing yellow and black.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 07:55 PM
Chomsky

Akost at the Point would be a starter.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 07:56 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post

The teams top scoring line last season doesn't exist anymore and has been completely shuffled, yet we're still scoring at a solid pace.

Our penalty kill has improved and our 5 on 5 has improved, two areas we had to work on. We're no longer waiting for the other team to mess up just to get a goal. Once Komisarek returns, out PK will be even better.

Just because we're not first in everything in the NHL doesn't mean we need to panic. It's just the season. Stop worrying about the Bruins either, Joe might be gone, but he learned to choke from wearing yellow and black.
Komisarek won't help our PK, he's been strictly a hitting machine this year for us, not very good on the defensive side since the season started. And I would say our scoring is worrysome compared to last year unless someone can bring up season last year to date stats. We're a better team but underperforming even more than last season.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 08:35 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post

Old
12-08-2008, 08:46 PM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

kovy at the point... plain and simple

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 08:54 PM
la25ecoupe

Dandenault at the point and Laraque the QB

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 08:55 PM
LedZeppelin

Bring in Belle and Subban, then with Price between them we could have a defensive oreo line. That would set up Price to pull off the unstoppable knucklepuck from the red line. If Mighty Ducks taught me anything it would work like crazy.

P.S. - Kovalev, start practising the triple deke

LedZeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 09:01 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

I FOUND OUR ANSWER!

All we need is Markov to drag it from point to Point, and load it, and clean it etc.... But It will work.. Esp with this baby

Old
12-09-2008, 12:19 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
Komisarek won't help our PK, he's been strictly a hitting machine this year for us, not very good on the defensive side since the season started. And I would say our scoring is worrysome compared to last year unless someone can bring up season last year to date stats. We're a better team but underperforming even more than last season.
Won't help the PK? He was one of the top shot blockers in the league before he went down. If he kept the same pace up without the injury he'd have 93 blocked shots, good for 3rd in the league. Plus he has a long reach to disrupt passing. To say he would not help the PK is ridiculous.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 05:55 AM
HABitual Fan

Play the PP like 5 on 5, keep the lines and defense pairings intact, if it works 5 on 5 then let them take advantage of the extra space on the ice on the PP. Stacking the PP is clearly not working so it is time to let them try to generate something with guys they are comfortable with.

HABitual Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 07:23 AM
kovalost27

The Canadiens need to be mobile on the powerplay. Thats the difference between last year and this year. The Canadiens used to take advantage of their speed by getting the defence off guard and then jamming the net with shots.

We just need to click.

kovalost27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 07:32 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Hab_Fan View Post
When a Penalty is called on the Opposition, Montreal should decline the penalties
Or just, you know, not dive.

Seriously, does Montreal hire an extra coach for training in how to flop?

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 08:40 AM
Nyclaus

the problem with every player mentionned before is that they're all left handed... Matt D'Agostini could be a fit with Markov: he's responsible and has a good shot!

A right-handed pointman would be more useful.

D'Agostini-Markov
Hamrlik-AKost

Nyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 09:32 AM
skipp18

The Powerplay troubles started in the playoffs last year, when the opposition started to overplay Kovalev's side. Since Streit was awful in the playoffs we basically had no point shot from that spot either.

This season Kovy is in a goal scoring funk, mostly due to the fact that he's not getting the space he was used to on the PP.

The solution that will free Kovalev and be our point shot on the right is..... ( wait for it)
Move Kovy to the point.

To me this seems like quite a simple solution, Im not sure why Carbo is so reluctant to use him there.

skipp18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 10:11 AM
RC51

Hey Wilber, I think the habs should simply score more on the PP.
Your right Orvil, that would solve the problem

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 12:45 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyclaus View Post
the problem with every player mentionned before is that they're all left handed... Matt D'Agostini could be a fit with Markov: he's responsible and has a good shot!

A right-handed pointman would be more useful.

D'Agostini-Markov
Hamrlik-AKost
No way Josť, D'ago is the only one willing to stick in front of the net, AND who's able to burry garbage goals. Akost and Skost at the point for wave 1 and 2 would be nice.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 12:54 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Here's a novel idea :

Kovalev is constantly checked on the right side. To make him room, they should divert back to plays they had with Ryder (right handed) on the left side, but instead put Dagger at his place on the left side. Once he starts scoring from there, this will give more space on the right side fro Kovalev.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 01:38 PM
keepcalmandbeninja

I believe the missing piece if you will is a left handed shooter from the right point position.

We have internal solutions. I would put our best left handed slapshot guy on the RD position, perhaps A. Kostitsyn. would be a good solution.

I would also mention Hamrlik however I supposed he is rested for more defensive duties...he logs minutes aplenty.

I am not too keen on the double playmaker at the point..ie Markov,Lang...although Lang likes to launch his wrister of hope lately from the point...sometimes something happens but I think Lang is not the solution for the PP. Again a left handed slap shooter guy at RD is my proposal.

keepcalmandbeninja is offline   Reply With Quote