HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How much do you think Price would get on an extension today?

Old
12-08-2008, 01:33 PM
TCIH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
Yeah, you guys should be able to get about 3 more years of him under $4mil before the big bucks kick in. Much like we did with Miller.
That's what I was thinking. Going from a rookie contract, to ~4 million, and then a top starter's salary when he hits UFA.

TCIH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 01:33 PM
7th Player

Let him walk!!!!!!

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 01:37 PM
totalrecall

Let's give him 100 Million for life

totalrecall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 01:41 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Hab_Fan View Post
Look where the Islanders are now, long term deal and Dipietro is a regular on IR list...no thanks on the long term deals.
What does a long term deal have to do with IR? Any player can get hurt, if he suffers a career ending injury his cap hit doesn't count like Rathje last year in Phillie.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 01:43 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Don't get hissy. He was merely pointing out the guy's record.
He was trying to downplay the value of Luongo by implying his bad playoff record.
Not just ''merely pointing out'' the guy's record as you say.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 01:51 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Price wouldn't cost us more than 3M as of today. He hasn't done anything yet and his playoff performance, which is the most important thing, is still a question mark. Nobody would invest 6M in an unproven Playoff Performer.
If Dustin Penner can get $4.2M a year, nothing would surprise me.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if a team would throw $6M a year at Price.

Do I think he is worth that yet??? No.
Do I think goaltending is always a premium, and a bunch of desperate teams would overpay for a good young goalie??? YES.

12-08-2008, 02:05 PM
vesperal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
What does a long term deal have to do with IR? Any player can get hurt, if he suffers a career ending injury his cap hit doesn't count like Rathje last year in Phillie.
Some people don't seem to understand that behind cap hit, there's a little called money. Learn about insurance then we'll talk.

vesperal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 02:14 PM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesperal View Post
Some people don't seem to understand that behind cap hit, there's a little called money. Learn about insurance then we'll talk.
For the uninformed, it's a little thing called hockey is a business. And smart businessmen don't like paying their employees to do nothing. So they get insurance for IR players, but no one will insure a 10 year contract like DiPietro's, so when he goes on the IR, the team's still paying. So even if a player's cap hit doesn't count, it's not like the team is happy to pay him for nothing.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:
He was trying to downplay the value of Luongo by implying his bad playoff record.
If you say so. I thought his post was pretty innocuous.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 02:38 PM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
That's where we differ, there is no way I'd do a long term deal involving a goalie or any player for that matter...Theo come to mind? Brad Richards, St-Louis let alone Dipietro.

That's just some very bad business decisions.

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 02:56 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
If Dustin Penner can get $4.2M a year, nothing would surprise me.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if a team would throw $6M a year at Price.

Do I think he is worth that yet??? No.
Do I think goaltending is always a premium, and a bunch of desperate teams would overpay for a good young goalie??? YES.
Penner was signed to an offer sheet.

So if we want to start going into different scenarios, then sure he'd get a big raise.

But the thread was about Price getting an extension today..not quite the same situation as Penner.

Old
12-08-2008, 03:10 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
I think he was merely pointing out that you were wrong when you said he took crappy teams to the playoffs.

Apparently, you don't like it when you're proven wrong.

Edit: Also note that Luongo had never made the playoffs at the time he signed his contract.

You're downplaying Price's value as he is an unproven playoff performer, yet you're praising Luongo despite the fact that he has won as many playoff games as Price in the 9 seasons he has played.
I agree the team he plays for has something to do with it, but you don't need to see a guy in the playoffs to determine his worth, especially when he's proven to win under pressure at other levels.

Last edited by fufonzo: 12-08-2008 at 03:18 PM.
fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 03:38 PM
Maxpac

well think about it this way, if i'm Brian Burke, i would easily give Price 8-9 mil a season for the next 10 years. He is far and ahead the NHL's most promising goaltender for the future. Right now now you guys are right, he is not worth more then 3-4 mil, but if Bob expects to sign him at that price he better do it fast!

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 04:23 PM
shealy04

As much as it takes to keep him here for a very...very...very long time.

shealy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 05:01 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
I think he was merely pointing out that you were wrong when you said he took crappy teams to the playoffs.

Apparently, you don't like it when you're proven wrong.

Edit: Also note that Luongo had never made the playoffs at the time he signed his contract.

You're downplaying Price's value as he is an unproven playoff performer, yet you're praising Luongo despite the fact that he has won as many playoff games as Price in the 9 seasons he has played.
I agree the team he plays for has something to do with it, but you don't need to see a guy in the playoffs to determine his worth, especially when he's proven to win under pressure at other levels.
I was wrong?..How so?..
The Canucks were not a good team. They missed the POs the following year when Luongo couldn't do miracles due to his personal life.

I'm downplaying Price's value?..again, how so?..Were he to sign today (that means an extension with Habs), I don't think he'd get more than 3 or 3.5M at most.

The kid has played 62Games, and collapsed in the PO last year. I fail to see how anybody can compare him to Luongo who was brilliant in his sole PO performance. Whether he only reach the POs once is completely irrelevant when we talk about Luongo.

We're lucky if Price gets to be as good as Luongo. If we miss the POs for the next 4-5years but Price is dominant during the regular season, then yea, he'll be worth 6-7M.

But a kid that doesn't even have a full NHL season of experience, with a bad PO performance doesn't come close to the value of Luongo. I don't see how anybody can dispute that fact.

Old
12-09-2008, 10:30 AM
Darz

Quote:
Penner was signed to an offer sheet.

So if we want to start going into different scenarios, then sure he'd get a big raise.

But the thread was about Price getting an extension today..not quite the same situation as Penner.
Well, maybe I read the whole thing wrong, but we can't extend a player until he is in the final year of his contract, so I based my idea of the fact that he would be a pending RFA.

Darz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Well, maybe I read the whole thing wrong, but we can't extend a player until he is in the final year of his contract, so I based my idea of the fact that he would be a pending RFA.
and that's why i hope we extend him to a very long contract ASAP, it woudn't surprise me at all if 1 team would decide to offer him something like 80 mil for 10 seasons, he's one of the 3, 4 players that's worth the gamble.

Old
12-09-2008, 10:41 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
6M?..lolll

Actually, we could have resigned Streit at about 2.5-3M had we signed him to an extension during the season.
I know his gf. Before last season, he was trying to sign an extension for 2M.

So you're wrong on both counts.

Price wouldn't cost us more than 3M as of today. He hasn't done anything yet and his playoff performance, which is the most important thing, is still a question mark. Nobody would invest 6M in an unproven Playoff Performer.
Fire Glenn Sather!!!!!!!

Joking aside, 4 mil per year for (7 years) until he is 30 (although rather unlikely he'd agree).

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 10:43 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
and that's why i hope we extend him to a very long contract ASAP, it woudn't surprise me at all if 1 team would decide to offer him something like 80 mil for 10 seasons, he's one of the 3, 4 players that's worth the gamble.
Honestly, I wouldn't want to see the habs EVER give out a 10 year contract. Waaaaaay too long. Too many things can happen over that kind of span. People were talking the same way about Theodore in '02 ish, and can you imagine if we gave him a 10 year extension!!!!!1

I would be happy to see Gainey go 3 years, so he is still an RFA when the contract expires.

Darz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 10:46 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
We will be able to re-sign him on July 1st 2009, as his first contract comes to term on July 1st 2010.

So basically, at the end of this season, the Habs could offer an extention to Price, without any other teams able to make offers to him (until July 2010 if not signed).

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 10:46 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Honestly, I wouldn't want to see the habs EVER give out a 10 year contract. Waaaaaay too long. Too many things can happen over that kind of span. People were talking the same way about Theodore in '02 ish, and can you imagine if we gave him a 10 year extension!!!!!1

I would be happy to see Gainey go 3 years, so he is still an RFA when the contract expires.
Well Crosby,Ovechkin are probably exeptions but ya I kinda agree with you.But players like Komisarek and Kostitsyn's should at least be signed to a 5-6 year deal.

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 10:53 AM
Maxpac

Quote:

Me neither, and i was talking about Price getting an offer sheet from another team, like Toronto who has loads of free cap space and no franchise goalie.