HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Driving Test

Old
11-28-2008, 12:16 PM
Prudentius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Since I'm old....the only thing that I remember is that you go down a street and then the street becomes one-way facing you.....but obviously the guy doesn't say anything about it....

Read the signs carefully....never forget to look at your side mirrors when you change lines.....they look at that a lot.
They're not allowed to do it anymore.

As for the driving license, I got it sucessfully on the first time. I completely failed my parking and even hit the band a little while turning the corner(nervosity) but everything else I did successfull. Blindspots is easily the most important thing. Whenever you change line or turn somewhere, even if you know there isn't anyone because you were just there, you still need to do blindspot, flasher, blindspot, mirror on the left, mirror middle, mirror on the right and blindspot again. That's the correct way to do it. Seems impossible when you are not used to it but it's not that hard and don't let anybody tell you it's not that important. It is THAT important and you need to do it the way I described it.

Prudentius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 12:20 PM
vesperal

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
-Make sure that before you start the car, you both have your seatbelts on. The person testing you might purposely not put it on.
They shouldn't do that. I'm pretty sure that a tester doing that is overstepping his boundary and his opening himself for sanctions.

Something important to remember is that all routes are predetermined, they won't deviate from that and will not try to trick you.

vesperal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 12:20 PM
Fido22

I recommend 20 dollar bills.

Or fifties, a bit flashier...but you won't have as many.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 12:32 PM
Stradale

First thing you get in the car, after fixing the seat and mirrors. DONT FORGET THE HAND BREAK.

I pass my exam on my first attempt because i was going at 40-45km/h it gives you way more time to think and react. Check blind spot, flasher, 3 seconds stop, drive between the line etc. It shouldnt be that hard. Just take your time and stay calm.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 01:12 PM
Shred

I failed that test the first time because at some point you have to turn left and there was an incoming car that was pretty far. Idiot said I should have waited (there was a lot of time to turn though). That was about 10 years ago, I'm still bitter though as you can see. Also, if you're a girl, I don't think you can possibly fail unless you're really fat.

Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 01:46 PM
Hezza

i passed

thanks for all the tips
the test was really straight forward, managed my parallel park, so it was fine

Hezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 01:47 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergzandreikostitsyn View Post
So, I have my driving test at Henri-Bourassa on Dec 8th are am wondering how I should prepare for it because I don't really know that area. Does anyone know what their test route(s) are?

Will there be a lot of traffic at 11h40, which is the time of my exam.

Any tips/help/comments about tests/examiners over at H-B would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
HB is the worst one, good luck.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 01:51 PM
neofury*

Oh also wanted to mention, a friend of mine did the test at HB and passed. He never recieved his license went back to complain. They apparently had no record of him ever doing the test. Showing them the temporary license wasn't even enough. He got ****ed over completely and had to redo the test. No joke if I'm not mistaking he even had an interac receipt to prove he had paid for everything. HB is a joke rofl. Most ppl I know went to valleyfield or hymus to avoid going to HB.

Old
12-08-2008, 01:53 PM
prevail

Quote:
i passed

thanks for all the tips
Congrats, now just don't hit me...ever...

prevail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 01:55 PM
Sir Jacques Demers

congrats. The key to this test if to remain calm regardless of what happens.

My dude made me so nervous I ended up failing my parralel park, even though i did a stand up job on the rest. Was pretty frustrating.

The next time around I was fine, but my guy was much calmer

Sir Jacques Demers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Passchendaele

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
HB is the worst one, good luck.
What?

There was little to no traffic at all when I did my test. Couldn't be easier.

The guy looked like a total ****** when I first got in the car thought.

Passchendaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 02:07 PM
vesperal

Quote:
i passed

thanks for all the tips
Congratulation Sergzandreikostitsyn !

vesperal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 02:36 PM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you, tomorrow, I'll miss you.
While I'm away, I'll write home every day.

Congrats on passing the test dude!

Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 02:50 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passchendaele View Post
What?

There was little to no traffic at all when I did my test. Couldn't be easier.

The guy looked like a total ****** when I first got in the car thought.
lol dude maybe for people from centre-ville there is no traffic, try hymus or valleyfield and compare the traffic and tell me there is more lmao.

Old
12-08-2008, 02:52 PM
neofury*

grats man, glad to hear you past. When I went I failed the first time because I ****ed up the parallel parking. Then I really practiced parallel went back and got the SAME guy

He's also known to be the only hard ass of the 4 instructors at Hymus. The 2nd time he made me back in which I didn't practice enough but I drove better overall that time and he passed me.

It's funny because now I find parallel parking the easier one to do and I find the methods the driving school tells you to use for parallel are just overall dumb and confusing, it's easier to just learn it your own way rather than using their rules/tricks.

Old
12-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Ryan O'Byrne

vCash: 1169
you should do a circle check of the car before you get in as that should help too. you approach the car from the front passenger side and then walk slowly down the passenger side checking the tires and for oil leaks. then continue doing that around the back and up the drivers side making sure to look at the front tire before entering the car. It'll show them your a safe driver ;-)

lol well I guess I was a little late with my tip congrats on passing

Ryan O'Byrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 03:37 PM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

vCash: 50
i did that test about 7 months ago.. the guy was pretty cool, just dont forget to put your flashers for EVERY turn... check your blind spot... and dont drive too slowly, cuz thats what i was doing and the guy told me to drive at a normal pace.. so just dirve normally and youll be ok

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 03:48 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan O'Byrne View Post
you should do a circle check of the car before you get in as that should help too. you approach the car from the front passenger side and then walk slowly down the passenger side checking the tires and for oil leaks. then continue doing that around the back and up the drivers side making sure to look at the front tire before entering the car. It'll show them your a safe driver ;-)

lol well I guess I was a little late with my tip congrats on passing

LOL I was told to do that by my driving school, then when I went to do that the guy looked at me blankly and asked me wtf I was doing and told me to get in the car lmao.

Old
12-08-2008, 03:49 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARTONK View Post
i did that test about 7 months ago.. the guy was pretty cool, just dont forget to put your flashers for EVERY turn... check your blind spot... and dont drive too slowly, cuz thats what i was doing and the guy told me to drive at a normal pace.. so just dirve normally and youll be ok
Yeah couldn't think of better advice then that. It's all about blind spots to these guys, that and full stops and blinkers. I drove too slowly my first time too (nervousness).

Old
12-08-2008, 07:08 PM
Ryan O'Byrne

vCash: 1169
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
LOL I was told to do that by my driving school, then when I went to do that the guy looked at me blankly and asked me wtf I was doing and told me to get in the car lmao.
Well did you say you were doing a quick inspection of the car or just say nothing and get in lol
and was it a quick check or did you walk really slow bending over to check stuff ? because it's just a quick walk around the car ;-) I don't see how he really had time to comment if you did the quick walk around ? it should take 5 secs or so ;-)

Ryan O'Byrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 08:23 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
i passed

thanks for all the tips
Congrats!

Now, do not think you are the world's best rally driver Yet....

Take your time. When you want to "experiment"... do so when ONLY you are at risk.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 09:01 AM
mrCoffea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prudentius View Post
They're not allowed to do it anymore.

As for the driving license, I got it sucessfully on the first time. I completely failed my parking and even hit the band a little while turning the corner(nervosity) but everything else I did successfull. Blindspots is easily the most important thing. Whenever you change line or turn somewhere, even if you know there isn't anyone because you were just there, you still need to do blindspot, flasher, blindspot, mirror on the left, mirror middle, mirror on the right and blindspot again. That's the correct way to do it. Seems impossible when you are not used to it but it's not that hard and don't let anybody tell you it's not that important. It is THAT important and you need to do it the way I described it.
I'm a horrible driver, and I always appear nervous behind the wheel because I don't drive often. My driving instructor even suggested I take extra classes before my driving exam, but since I had an appointment already I figured I'd give it a shot

To this day, I don't know how I did it, but I managed to pass first try. I don't remember much about the test, it went by so fast that I can't remember if I changed lanes properly, if I always looked at my blind spot, if I always used my flasher, etc...

All I know is that the pedals of the car were really stiff, and it helped me control my acceleration and keeping a constant speed better, so I was ALWAYS at the right speed (I was obviously paying attention to the speed limit changes). I had ****ed up a right of way during a stop intersection, went first when the other guy should have gone first, and during my parallel park, one of my wheels barely touched the curb and the instructor ****ing yelled at me like I had just killed someone (I still parked it properly, but touching the curb a bit was apparently a big no-no). The worst part was that it had started raining during my test, and the examiner told me to put the windshield wiper on, and I had never used that car before so it took me like 5 seconds to figure out (which seems like an eternity when you have someone watching you like a hawk). I managed to get it right first try, I would have been so embarrassed had I not been able to turn the wipers properly!

I think the way I drove in the parking lot and the way I perfectly parked the car at the end of the exam gave me some extra points. I was also very respectful towards the examiner. When he yelled at me or told me off, I stayed calm and acknowledged my mistake, I never spoke back at him or told him that what he was saying wasn't true or that what I did was right

Just be very respectful, watch out for your speed limit and the various other stupid little things like mirrors, blind spots and flashers, and you should be able to pass

The only intimidating part of taking the exam at Henri-Bourassa is getting out of the parking lot at the beginning of the test. Everything after that is easy.

mrCoffea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 12:25 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan O'Byrne View Post
Well did you say you were doing a quick inspection of the car or just say nothing and get in lol
and was it a quick check or did you walk really slow bending over to check stuff ? because it's just a quick walk around the car ;-) I don't see how he really had time to comment if you did the quick walk around ? it should take 5 secs or so ;-)
Yeah it took about 5 secs, I just walked around the car checking it quickly. Obviously if my driving school told me to do it I had been shown how to do it. But the guy was looking at me like "wth, just get in the car, wth are you doing".

EDIT: Also wanted to mention that the second time I did the test I didn't do the inspection as I had the same guy and he didn't say anything.

Old
12-09-2008, 03:40 PM
Pascal

Quote:
So, I have my driving test at Henri-Bourassa on Dec 8th are am wondering how I should prepare for it because I don't really know that area. Does anyone know what their test route(s) are?
i took the test 2x and failed.. they're SUPER picky and one of their agents is a total ****ing ***** that will almost scream at you if you do anything wrong. (she has shoulder length blonde hair and glasses.. if you get her ask to change)

the route is always the same.. a bit of boulevard time and then residential and then boulevard again back to the mall.

It's fairly simple stuff, there's no parallel parking. They do look for every detail though, especially the "angles morts" checking and being aware at all times. The 2nd time I failed because I went on the yellow light and as I crossed it it turned red. They never forgive you that one.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 09:56 PM
Hezza

my examiner on monday, at first glance, to me looked like some sort of nazi. he was hardcore french, spoke to me all in french before switching to english when he realised i wouldnt reply to him in his native tounge. he told me there would be no tricks and we were off. i didnt do the check around the car because when i was about to he told me just to get the **** in and lets go. first 2 minutes were really tough mentally, but then i got the hang of it. he got pissed coz i drove 40 instead of 50 in some areas. aced the parallel park and then also had to do a forward park. overall the examiner was kind of an *******, but i dont care anymore, i passed.

i had to drive to abbott today in these horrible conditions, almost crashed about 10 times.

Hezza is offline   Reply With Quote