HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Who do you want to sacrifice when Komi is back.

Old
12-08-2008, 02:43 PM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Godamn are you ever beyond clueless about hockey! I bet you more then half a dozen teams would be willing to give us there 1st round draft pick and then some for Sergei Kostitsyn. Sergei is a potential 1st line gritty playmaker with top notch vision and speed to sell. Many players have alot of difficulties in their second seasons because 1) They are more looked for then their rookie seasons and 2) They're desperately looking to surpass their stats, sometimes losing alot of confidence just like Sergei has. Next year when Alex Kovalev will probably be gone, Sergei will become our primary RW with vision, and by that will had gotten back on his feet. Weither or not he needs to go to Hamilton right now is another question, personnaly i think he does, but top give him up for nothing, keep reading and start learning before you post more BS like that to real smart hockey fans like we have here
err, wasn't he talking about Latendresse and not Sergei?

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 02:45 PM
TrueHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Godamn are you ever beyond clueless about hockey! I bet you more then half a dozen teams would be willing to give us there 1st round draft pick and then some for Sergei Kostitsyn. Sergei is a potential 1st line gritty playmaker with top notch vision and speed to sell. Many players have alot of difficulties in their second seasons because 1) They are more looked for then their rookie seasons and 2) They're desperately looking to surpass their stats, sometimes losing alot of confidence just like Sergei has. Next year when Alex Kovalev will probably be gone, Sergei will become our primary RW with vision, and by that will had gotten back on his feet. Weither or not he needs to go to Hamilton right now is another question, personnaly i think he does, but top give him up for nothing, keep reading and start learning before you post more BS like that to real smart hockey fans like we have here
I never said anything about giving Sergei up for nothing, read my post.

TrueHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 02:45 PM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
Clowe is 29 BTW, it took him 7 seasons at least to settle to his actual level

and the sharks kept him
By Golly, I sure hope the kids coming up the ranks aren't god awful that the Habs would put up with 8 years of what we've seen in the first 3 years with Latendresse.

Old
12-08-2008, 02:47 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueHabsFan View Post
Tool, lol, listen clown, there is a reason why he is a healthy scratch. Cuz he stinks. If hadn't played enough games, he would already be in Hamilton. If he were not a local boy, he never would have made the team. What do you not understand about that. Since when is 16 goals something to praise. He does nothing. Wow, 53 hits. Wow. Hits that do not cause turnovers, hits that take him completely out of the play. What game are you watching. He cannot play defense. He cant skate, deke or pass. He has great hands but a 8% shooting percentage. Almost the wrorst on our team. He has been given chance after chance and cannot capitalize. He cant put himself in front of the net cuz he a p...y. What do u see in him? Maybe you like his boyish looks? It cant be because of the untapped talent he will never have. The guy is useless. He skates around the neutral zone like a lost case. He doesnt even come off in time for his line changes. He Sucks. Plain and simple
Patience is the key, I've seen too many guys get traded then reaching their full potential the year after to let go on any of our prospects/players/NHLers.

Ribeiro

Hainsey

Beauchemin

Leclair

(to a lesser extend) Grabovski

then on the other side you have the organisations that persisted on players like

Ryan Clowe: it took him 8 years from the junior but he is now a PPG player

Jeff drouin deslauriers: it took him 6 years after his juniors days and he looks like the starter that oilers will be able to rely on for the next years

Devin Setoguchi: the guy was drafted 1 round ahead of Latendresse, was not looking too nice until this year, he is clearly blossoming

All the examples stated and people still just wanna dump him for good?

and I'm called a clown?

I must have forgot to take off that silly makeup

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Hab_Fan View Post
The point is, Latendresse has been soooooo overblown over his potential it ain't funny. There is no way I'd compare Latendresse to any young star in this league, Devin??? Clowe??? Get a grip.
Typical clueless living by the moment Habs fan, the day you will eat your words will be a happy day for the rest of us.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
I don't think this is even an issue. O'Bryne will be sent down.
Words of wisdom.

To those who want to put Latendresse on waivers and lose him for nothing, you'll be the first ones to pounce on Gainey when Latendresse turns out to be a pretty good player. Shame on you.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 02:49 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
err, wasn't he talking about Latendresse and not Sergei?
Well it applies to both of them, where i stand my comment still holds

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 02:57 PM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

Quote:
Patience is the key, I've seen too many guys get traded then reaching their full potential the year after to let go on any of our prospects/players/NHLers.

Ribeiro

Hainsey

Beauchemin

Leclair

(to a lesser extend) Grabovski

then on the other side you have the organisations that persisted on players like

Ryan Clowe: it took him 8 years from the junior but he is now a PPG player

Jeff drouin deslauriers: it took him 6 years after his juniors days and he looks like the starter that oilers will be able to rely on for the next years

Devin Setoguchi: the guy was drafted 1 round ahead of Latendresse, was not looking too nice until this year, he is clearly blossoming

All the examples stated and people still just wanna dump him for good?

and I'm called a clown?

I must have forgot to take off that silly makeup
Don't know who called you a clown, Rib is back to what he truly is...Primadonna 20 points minus 7 3 whopping goals to boot.

Hainsey - isn't worth the money his making.

I didn't like the Leclair trade, loved his performance in the playoffs.

Latendresse is no Devin - btw Devin only played 44 games prior to this season.

Edit: My feelings are known, Latendresse is way over blown on this board.

EDit to the edit - Ryan Clowe...16 goals career mark and 11 goals so far this year....and no he isn't a PPG player.

Last edited by Arctic_Hab_Fan: 12-08-2008 at 03:07 PM.
Old
12-08-2008, 03:37 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post

The Habs can lose any of the following on waivers and it would not significantly impact the team and in some cases might improve the team based on the replacement in Hamilton:

Brisebois
Begin
Dandenault
Kosto
Latendresse

In most case the real problem would be, with the exception of Latendresse and Kosto, they would clear waivers and then you would have to pay them full salary in the AHL.
If Kosto and Latendresse would not clear waivers, and both make $900k or less, then they should not be put on waivers, period. They are the best two in terms of value for the money.

Personally, I would send down Sergei and O'Byrne and bring up Chipchura for a while to give him a chance to show what he can do as well.

We are able right now to test out a couple of players (specifically D'Ago and Chips) and still have time to send one or both down and recall Sergei or anyone else Don Lever deems ready.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 03:39 PM
HCH

The Montreal Canadiens do not exist for the sole purpose of providing Latendresse a place to play hockey. If the team could be improved for the long term by trading him, I am sure it would happen.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 04:08 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
The Montreal Canadiens do not exist for the sole purpose of providing Latendresse a place to play hockey. If the team could be improved for the long term by trading him, I am sure it would happen.
But there's a world of difference between getting rid of an asset by trade, and losing an asset for nothing through waivers, and that's what some posters here don't seem to understand. Putting Latendresse on waivers would be incredibly moronic. Big young guys with good hands aren't a dime a dozen around the league! You can be certainly that a load of mediocre teams with no depth would be thrilled to take their chance on him and give him a lot of ice time. With his current performances, it is doubtful that he'll be able to get a significant raise anyway, and with a bit of luck he'll develop into a very nice physical players in a few season.

Latendresse could CERTAINLY fetch us a pick or, hopefully, he could be part of a bigger deal as a wildcard. But losing him to waivers? What would be the point?

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 04:13 PM
Andy

It's nice to pull out all these players who are doing well, but what about the countless players who never amounted to anything. Just to name a few...

Marcel Hossa(some serious potential)
Chad Kilger(Great Junior career)
Michel Ouellet(some decent seasons, where is he now? He's being juggled around like crazy)
Steve Bernier(good rookie year, inconsistent like crazy, still has trouble finding his spot in a team in terms of what line he plays on, yet still better than Lats)

These are all guys Lats build and guys who everyone hoped to be "powerforwards"

Last edited by Andy: 12-08-2008 at 04:23 PM.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 05:10 PM
mariolemieux66

Send a message via Skype™ to mariolemieux66
Yvon Pednault just said that O'Byrne does'nt need to go throught waiver if sent to Hamilton.

mariolemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 06:35 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariolemieux66 View Post
Yvon Pednault just said that O'Byrne does'nt need to go throught waiver if sent to Hamilton.
It must be true because Pednault said it...

Seriously, that's what we've been saying for a while now. O'Byrne only played 52 NHL games. You need 160 to have to clear waivers. So that's our best option when Komo comes back.

Old
12-08-2008, 06:53 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
It must be true because Pednault said it...

Seriously, that's what we've been saying for a while now. O'Byrne only played 52 NHL games. You need 160 to have to clear waivers. So that's our best option when Komo comes back.
Actually, O'byrne will be eligible if he plays 8 more NHL games.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 09:19 PM
Brisk-Illusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
The problem is that the organization has handcuffed itself by keeping Lats in the NHL when he wasn't meeting their exceptions.

They took a chance on a 19yr old on a mediocre team, he didn't play very well outside of a few bright spots with Koivu.

He made the team at 20 on a better team, and still had the same weaknesses than he did his first year.

Now he's 21 and is still essentially the same player that played his first game for us. He's still a slow, soft, forward who can't string more than a few decent games together unless he's playing with Koivu. The problem, is, while Lats has not gotten any better, our team has, players in Hamilton have improved and are now better than him.

Lats is not really to blame for his lack of development, few players grow at the NHL level, when a player is brought up to play a role, it is assumed he's ready to fulfill it, he wasn't. He was a project who never really improved, and just played well enough to stay in the lineup, without taking any risks or building his game, he played the only way he could to stay on the team. Now that we are a better team, his efforts are not good enough anymore, and no one knows what to do with him, if you send him down, you lose him for nothing, and if you keep him in the lineup he hurts your chances of winning because he's not the best man for the job.

From a neutral outlook it would seem trading him would be the best option for the team, and for him.

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post
The problem is that the organization has handcuffed itself by keeping Lats in the NHL when he wasn't meeting their exceptions.

They took a chance on a 19yr old on a mediocre team, he didn't play very well outside of a few bright spots with Koivu.

He made the team at 20 on a better team, and still had the same weaknesses than he did his first year.

Now he's 21 and is still essentially the same player that played his first game for us. He's still a slow, soft, forward who can't string more than a few decent games together unless he's playing with Koivu. The problem, is, while Lats has not gotten any better, our team has, players in Hamilton have improved and are now better than him.

Lats is not really to blame for his lack of development, few players grow at the NHL level, when a player is brought up to play a role, it is assumed he's ready to fulfill it, he wasn't. He was a project who never really improved, and just played well enough to stay in the lineup, without taking any risks or building his game, he played the only way he could to stay on the team. Now that we are a better team, his efforts are not good enough anymore, and no one knows what to do with him, if you send him down, you lose him for nothing, and if you keep him in the lineup he hurts your chances of winning because he's not the best man for the job.

From a neutral outlook it would seem trading him would be the best option for the team, and for him.
Trading him? Latendresse has no value. Gilbert Brule was traded for Raffi Torres, and Brule could actually be sent down to the AHL without having to clear waivers.

Whoever deals for Latendresse is stuck with him at the pro level.

For the record, I don't think Latendresse is half as bad as people thinks. Send the struggling Kostitsyn to the AHL, and ACTUALLY PLAY LATENDRESSE FOR 10+ GAMES WITH EITHER KOIVU OR PLEKANEC AS HIS CENTER. Tell him to play hard, throw his body around, use his size and his shot.

Make a decision after 10+ games. I guarentee no one would want to trade him then.

Everyone was written off Andrei Kostitsyn at the start of the year. Those kids are young, some of them can have slow starts. I think Tender has understood that he needs to work his butt off NOW if he wants to have a shot at a career in the NHL.

The kids a goal scorer, put him with a playmaker, give him ice time on the PP (something Carbo has never done) for gods sake. Last game Carbo tried LARAQUE on the fricking PP. WHAT A JOKE. If he wants a big body presence in front of the net for the PP, use LATENDRESSE. Just tell him what you want from him on the PP.

I remember last year Tender had a shift on the PP in which he played the perimeter while Koivu was getting cross checked in front of the net. IS THIS A ****ING JOKE? Carbo, you're the coach, this is your job. Tell Guillaume to stand in front of the ****ing goalie and put the rebounds home.

There I said it.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Rayne*

Quote:
His worth nothing!
GTFO N00B!!

*hopes he didn't infringe on Chezz's copyright*

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 09:47 PM
mrCoffea*

we can put Latendresse on waivers, because no team in their right mind would pick him up hahaha

And if one team is retarded enough to do so, they'd be doing us a favor more than anything

mrCoffea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 09:48 PM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post

The Habs can lose any of the following on waivers and it would not significantly impact the team and in some cases might improve the team based on the replacement in Hamilton:

Brisebois
Begin
Dandenault
Kosto
Latendresse

In most case the real problem would be, with the exception of Latendresse and Kosto, they would clear waivers and then you would have to pay them full salary in the AHL.
I would bet one of those Ottawa Senator Loonies that only Lats will be with this team next year to start the season.

Nitehowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 09:52 PM
Brisk-Illusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
For the record, I don't think Latendresse is half as bad as people thinks. Send the struggling Kostitsyn to the AHL, and ACTUALLY PLAY LATENDRESSE FOR 10+ GAMES WITH EITHER KOIVU OR PLEKANEC AS HIS CENTER. Tell him to play hard, throw his body around, use his size and his shot.

Make a decision after 10+ games. I guarentee no one would want to trade him then.
Here's the thing, you don't give a player more ice-time because you think he'll play well, you do it because he's earned it.

Lats hasn't been good enough to earn a regular spot on the top two lines for the last two and half years, what makes you think he would be able to advantage of it now, when he's not even able to stay in the lineup as a 3rd/4th liner ? Do you believe our coaching staff is so stupid that they've been ignoring Lats' natural talent for this long ?

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Lol, you are such a clueless tool, I really hope that you never ever get into a GM job, If you were on the sharks you would probably already have waived Ryan Clowe and Devin Setoguchi and lost them for nothing because "they werent producing enough"

now, Clowe is a PPG player and Setoguychi is awesome
LOl..and he was also one that wanted John LeClair gone cause a "power forward" should develop as fast as a "half=pint"

Nitehowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 09:56 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post
Here's the thing, you don't give a player more ice-time because you think he'll play well, you do it because he's earned it.

Lats hasn't been good enough to earn a regular spot on the top two lines for the last two and half years, what makes you think he would be able to advantage of it now, when he's not even able to stay in the lineup as a 3rd/4th liner ? Do you believe our coaching staff is so stupid that they've been ignoring Lats' natural talent for this long ?
Yep I agree. He did get chances but was a short time do to his consistency.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 10:09 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
Actually, O'byrne will be eligible if he plays 8 more NHL games.
Source?

Everything I've read mentioned the 160 games land mark...

Old
12-09-2008, 12:59 AM
Noldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Source?

Everything I've read mentioned the 160 games land mark...
The only factors that affect players waiver eligibility are:
1.) Position (different rules for skaters and goalies)
2.) Age at the time of signing their entry-level contract
3.) Years from signing their entry-level contract
4.) Number of NHL games played

The 160 games applies only to players signed to their first contract at age of 18, 19 or 20. For older players (at the time of signing their first contract), the games played limit is lower. See page 66 of the CBA for details.

Noldo is offline   Reply With Quote