HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Proposing a new look...(all "solutions" here)

Old
12-08-2008, 04:38 PM
Vitto79

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyGSpot View Post
How to fix the Rangers.

1. Fire Tom Renney.
2. Hire Torts. Let's see what a high energy guy can do.
3. Trade Rosival , Gomez, and Kalinin for whatever you can get. Draft picks, players for the AHL, whatever you can get. Dump the salary and the players.
3.a - Sign Shanny
4. Call up Potter, Fahey.
5. Insert all players into Lineup. Yes they are young, but you gotta keep playing them, they will get better. And rotate lines for christ's sake.

Naslund - Drury - Callahan
Shannahan - Dubi - Zherdev
Dawes - Fritche - Prucha
Voros - Betts - Sjo
Extra Korpedo
D.

Mara - Staal
Girardi - Redden
Fahey - Potter

6. Throw out the old system. Play a puck possession game, cycle the boards, sneak in a dman and crash the frekin net. Old school, Eddie Shore baby.
7. Throw out the old PP system, stop trying to force shots from the point while people aren't moving, cycle the puck down low, sneak a dman in for free shots. This forces the defenders to watch them more closely freeing up your forwards for quality chances.
8. Instill the idea that shots aren't the goal, quality shots are. Start taking quality shots, in tight, down in the slot.
9. D strategy, one man back that can play defense. Staal, Mara, Potter are the only dmen allowed to stay back as they are good dmen and can break up two on ones.

This will cause higher scoring games, but also get us on the board a lot more. Today.
guys they have had a some bad games yes but they still sit at the top of the division................the others still have to play games to jump over them..................patience is a virtue

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 04:38 PM
brettholmesx

any chance we could get brad boyes?

brettholmesx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 04:39 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyGSpot View Post

Torts was run out because he didn't play Lightning politics. That's the guy I want. Anyone But Renney. He has proven after 3 seasons he is not the guy for the job. And you will say but the playoffs, yeah losing the playoffs is still losing in my book.

Some of us hold our Franchise to a higher standard than others. You want to keep the bar low, that's fine by me.
You should put on a big red nose and enroll yourself in clown college with statements like these.

I used to be a pessimistic loudmouth like you when it came to the Rangers...the only difference is that was 5-10 years ago when they actually sucked.

I learned a lot from those years...and the #1 lesson was never take a consistent playoff team for granted, which you obviously are.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 04:42 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

ATL: Prucha, Dawes

NYR: Colby Armstrong + 3rd 09

I know, I know. A true blockbuster deal.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 04:44 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post

i would do that.....armstrong has some size and the 3rd is a plus IMO considering neither of those players are really contributing a whole lot

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

Its fine with me as long as you dont mind being labeled an outcast for actually putting something realistic here

Old
12-08-2008, 04:46 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
i would do that.....armstrong has some size and the 3rd is a plus IMO considering neither of those players are really contributing a whole lot
Bingo. Armstrong is another Ryan Callahan type, only 3 inches taller. Great team guy too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Its fine with me as long as you dont mind being labeled an outcast for actually putting something realistic here
Already way beyond that.

Old
12-08-2008, 04:46 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
W...T...F ?

Dude, Renney has a great jump shot.

EvilCorporateLawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 04:48 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Bingo. Armstrong is another Ryan Callahan type, only 3 inches taller. Great team guy too.

Already way beyond that.

LOL!!

yea, i agree, he and callahan would be very good together....IMO he would work well with dubi as well instead of needing to play voros out of position

Old
12-08-2008, 04:49 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Dude, Renney has a great jump shot.
HAHAAHA....nice

Old
12-08-2008, 04:59 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
LOL!!

yea, i agree, he and callahan would be very good together....IMO he would work well with dubi as well instead of needing to play voros out of position
Posted it in the Trade forum, so we'll see what kind of response it gets. Probably nothing because it doesn't involve Kovalchuk.

Old
12-08-2008, 05:03 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Posted it in the Trade forum, so we'll see what kind of response it gets. Probably nothing because it doesn't involve Kovalchuk.
Exactly. That is the type of deal i could see sather pulling very soon. Something smaller for a player with a bit more size and grit for the lower lines who is a good team guy. I mean the guy can score some goals and just play an in-your-face style of game.

Old
12-08-2008, 08:37 PM
JKDR1

Quote:
You should put on a big red nose and enroll yourself in clown college with statements like these.

I used to be a pessimistic loudmouth like you when it came to the Rangers...the only difference is that was 5-10 years ago when they actually sucked.

I learned a lot from those years...and the #1 lesson was never take a consistent playoff team for granted, which you obviously are.
If you think these guys are good, well, you might need to enroll in some clown classes yourself big fella, these guys are pathetic and it will be a matter of time before their division leading record is middle of the pack...at best...wait and see. I have seen enough to know some changes are necessarry...one way or another!

JKDR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 08:53 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKDR1 View Post
If you think these guys are good, well, you might need to enroll in some clown classes yourself big fella, these guys are pathetic and it will be a matter of time before their division leading record is middle of the pack...at best...wait and see. I have seen enough to know some changes are necessarry...one way or another!
Thats just it. I dont think they're that good, I dont think they're that bad...I think they're right where they should be. I think this team is good enough to use a fast start to get into the playoffs, and once they're there with one of the best goalies in the league, absolutely anything can happen.

I just cant relate with the people that complain all the time "Fire him, trade him, get rid of him, change this, tweak that"...I mean, do you think this is a surefire Stanley Cup team without Tom Renney? Then whats the point of always being miserable and missing the ride?

Old
12-08-2008, 08:58 PM
MikeyLikesHockey

fgsafsd

Quote:

Hey you know what I was a Ranger fan then too.

But unlike you, I didn't get complacent or let my expectations fall to the point of actually being happy we are behind Boston by two points ahead of Pitt by 4 with them having 4 games yet to play. In the meantime we are now 77 GF and 76 GA. Which is horrible.

I'm supposed to be happy that we will make the playoffs. Forget you, I WANT THE CUP. But as Renney said,"this team is designed to go deep inthe playoffs."

When will someone with some ballz in the org come forward and say, "we play for the cup every year, anything less is not acceptable".

I'm supposed to be happy that we lost last night and my team is sitting there giving each other pats on the back for a well played game. Where is the person in the org that says , "Hey we need to start scoring on the PP,and stop getting SHGA . I mean come on, one of the best PKing teams getting that many Shorties against us."

The expectations of not this teams record,but how they have played to date should always be brought into question. And they should always be doing things to improve themselves.

I wonder if they will be smiling and laughing when they get knocked out of the playoffs because they played a good game...or laughing his way to the penalty box during the playoffs, he laughed his way right off the Rangers.

We have played an even .500 with horrendus play. We lose again we will be the only division leader with more goals against than goals for. We have been lucky thus far, pucks have fallen our way, and when they start falling for the opposition and not us, we will feel it. When Hank gets hurt or can't withstand the assault, we are screwed. I rather be working on gathering a team that will be able to stand strong with Vally in net or Hank in net. Right now we aren't.

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 09:15 PM
funky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter35 View Post
sign sundin for $5 mill

trade gomer to LA for o'sullivan, priessing and the right to swap 1sts this year

trade/waive fritche and kalinin

gives you something like this up front

naslund-sundin-zherdev
o'sullivan-drury-callahan
voros-dubinsky-prucha
sjo-betts-orr
dawes

preissing on the back end would be a million times better than kalinin and he's an option on the PP to get this piece of crap going. we save a couple of mill going forward as well.

You are hilareous. Gomez has what many consider the worst contract in the NHL. He provides very little defence, he is a puck hog this year, not good for a passer.

O'Sullivan is an offensive 23 year old winger that puts up the same amount of points as Gomez while playing better defence. Yet you want to swap 1st rounders and take Preissing on top of unloading a crappy contract.

Look at the other team before making crappy proposals. Our centers are as follows:

Kopitar, Stoll, Handzus, Boyle, Armstrong plus Moller and O'Sullivan both can play pivot.

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 10:44 PM
Bury Your Head

Quote:
Exactly. That is the type of deal i could see sather pulling very soon. Something smaller for a player with a bit more size and grit for the lower lines who is a good team guy. I mean the guy can score some goals and just play an in-your-face style of game.
Do we really need more 3rd liners? We need to start scoring. Unless you want to check the opposing team's players into their own net while they carry the puck, getting another third liner doesn't solve anything.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 11:08 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Considering this is a suggestion thread, how about try Voros on a line with Gomez and maybe Zherdev? My reason is during the last Olympics Gomez clicked with a bigger body on his line (Tkachuk) and a speedy rw (Gionta). I don't know just a thought, it's not a bad one.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 12:17 AM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers32185 View Post
Considering this is a suggestion thread, how about try Voros on a line with Gomez and maybe Zherdev? My reason is during the last Olympics Gomez clicked with a bigger body on his line (Tkachuk) and a speedy rw (Gionta). I don't know just a thought, it's not a bad one.
Please tell me you didn't just compare Aaron Voros to Keith Tkachuk...

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 02:58 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR6814 View Post
Do we really need more 3rd liners? We need to start scoring. Unless you want to check the opposing team's players into their own net while they carry the puck, getting another third liner doesn't solve anything.
No, but losing some salary in dawes and prucha fora bigger body player who could help solidify the third line would help.

Old
12-09-2008, 10:05 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR6814 View Post
Because trading two guys that aren't accomplishing anything while clearing salary at the same time is a bad idea? An extra 1 mil in space might not seem like much to you, but it can mean the difference between 4 mil and 5 mil to a player.

It's amazing that all of you want the Rangers to play an "upbeat, hard fore-checking game" yet you don't want a player who fits that mold perfectly. You put a guy like Armstrong on a line with Callahan and Dubi or Fritsche and you've got a fast, tenacious group of forwards to go out and battle opposing team's. They aren't going to make tic-tac passes through the neutral zone, but they'll wear the other team down in their own end and generate turnovers.

Old
12-09-2008, 10:15 AM
Jackson Ranger

Put Staal on the point on the power play.

Play pairs consistently changing the third player on the line: Gomez/Zherdev; Dubinsky/Naslund; Drury/Cally

Make the Drury/Cally line a defensive shut down line to "match up" against the other teams top line.

Get more to more rebounds on the offensive side.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 10:58 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
Put Staal on the point on the power play.

Play pairs consistently changing the third player on the line: Gomez/Zherdev; Dubinsky/Naslund; Drury/Cally

Make the Drury/Cally line a defensive shut down line to "match up" against the other teams top line.

Get more to more rebounds on the offensive side.
Totally in favor of that.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 03:25 PM
Sheriff

Here are my suggestions to improve the situation:

1.) Trade either Roszival or Redden for a defensive dman who is mean and hard-hitting - at same time you can give Staal more time on the PP and make him more offensive-minded
2.) Trade Drury and bring in someone who can score goals
3.) Hire an assistant coach to teach the boys how to play on the PP and how to avoid shorthanded goals by the opponent
4.) Trade Kalinin,Dawes, Rissmiller and Fritsche for some depth players/prospects
5.) Give Anisimov a chance to show if he's ready to play NHL hockey yet
6.) Hire a mental coach to give Dubinsky (and other players) his self-confidence back
7.) Tell the players to shoot the puck and go for second chances
8.) Make every player work hard on every shift or bench them if they don't

There's probably more but that's all that comes to my mind right now.

Cheers
the Sheriff

Sheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 03:36 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Heres the best solution I can give:

Stop *****ing about every little thing, because for better or for worse, this is the team you've got until the summer.