HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nedved not signed yet?

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2004, 06:16 PM
momentai

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
I would disagree with igor on that, he can throw all the stats he wants but you can't deny the skill, shot and offensive prescence that Nedved brings to the line. Sometimes offence is the best form of defence to use an old cliche
What you are talking about is the impact on the powerplay where his offense and shot are the most viable portions of his game for our team. I think Igor was merely stating that 5 on 5 he isn't a great player by any stretch of the imagination. We could definitely use him on the powerplay for the shot alone at least.

Old
07-19-2004, 06:17 PM
Big T

Quote:
I would disagree with igor on that, he can throw all the stats he wants but you can't deny the skill, shot and offensive prescence that Nedved brings to the line. Sometimes offence is the best form of defence to use an old cliche

I think that the difference of opinion lies in how each one of you look at the player. The good rabi is looking at the things that are more a personal opinion, while igor is looking at the numbers.

While Nedved does possess all the raw skils that you suggest rabi_sultan, if those skills don't put more pucks in the net than the other team, then Nedved is actually hurting this team if he stays.

Now igor is using EV+/- to base his descision on. And if I understand it correctly, any powerplay points Nedved puts up are completely ignored. (is that right igor???) If that's the case, how many points does Nedved have to create while on the PP to overcome his rather average EV+/-????

I have don't have the proof, but I wonder if this paints a slightly better picture of Nedved than his EV+/- numbers would???

T

EDIT: momentai beat me to the punch

Old
07-19-2004, 06:20 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T
EDIT: momentai beat me to the punch

Sorry. I'm a little quick off the draw.

Old
07-19-2004, 06:57 PM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T
I think that the difference of opinion lies in how each one of you look at the player. The good rabi is looking at the things that are more a personal opinion, while igor is looking at the numbers.

While Nedved does possess all the raw skils that you suggest rabi_sultan, if those skills don't put more pucks in the net than the other team, then Nedved is actually hurting this team if he stays.

Now igor is using EV+/- to base his descision on. And if I understand it correctly, any powerplay points Nedved puts up are completely ignored. (is that right igor???) If that's the case, how many points does Nedved have to create while on the PP to overcome his rather average EV+/-????

I have don't have the proof, but I wonder if this paints a slightly better picture of Nedved than his EV+/- numbers would???
Nope, not really.

I'm not a Nedved fan. When he was first traded here I thought "you've gotta give a guy a break, fresh start and all that". First game in STL, both Markannen and Osgood play terrific. Ends in a 1-1 tie. The first goal is scored by Khavanov, somebody (probably Demitra or Weight) throws the puck across to him as he's pinching in, wide open, and he one-times it to the corner. Which is freakin strange, because that's Dvorak's zone, and he never makes a rookie mistake like getting drawn in. And Horcoff is fully 10 feet behind Khavanov chasing him. So I step back (TiVo) to see what the heck happened. The Oilers only had 4 men back, Dvo had taken the centre's role ... you can see Nedved at the bottom of the frame, almost resting in the high slot in the defensive end, then he coasts towards the bench, like a figure skater at the end of a disappointing routine. Horcoff flies off ... (way too soon, coulda been too many men) ... but it's too late, he doesn't have a hope in hedes of covering Khavanov. A NYR moment if I ever saw one.

Later Nedved would block a shot in OT and be hailed as a hero on HF and OilFans. Sweet Jebus.

That's the tip of the iceberg. Mostly I don't like Nedved because he won't pay the price to keep the cycle going ... and since the best defence is offence ... that's a terrible crime. My favourite (though there were many) is the COL game where Nedved is skating towards the puck in the corner, Blake about 6 to 10 feet behind him. I don't know what Blake said to him, but Petr just peels away and leaves the puck for Blake, who ices it without hesitation. Petr had fallen back into an offensive-zone-defence of his own invention. its the same over and over with him, though this one was special because the clever producer cut to MacTavish right away after ... who was stoic. :lol

And if you play the game like that ... it is going to show up in your numbers eventually. And it has.

The Oilers caught some breaks in that stretch, and had some good goaltending, when they didn't --- usually the other guys didn't either. Quite a few people would comment on this obvious fact after games (probably reviewing the posts of Digger or Matts or oilswell from this stretch would freshen memories). But Nedved made them a contender??? ... gimme a break, what games were people watching? :lol

The numbers back up a point of view (one that, quite frankly, I'm really surprised wasn't obvious) ... not vice versa.

Old
07-19-2004, 07:50 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
you really can't always measure the prescence which is what Nedved provides, I never said for a moment or implied that Nedved was a saviour, but he's much better than what else is out there and he does have that raw skill that our team is lacking. I had a feeling that this would happen where the Oilers have the player that they need a excellent raw skill player that is capable of turning the game on its head. I can live with his inconsistencies and his defficiencies in defence because he is a threat out there and he will cause a problem for other defences, that stuff isn't even measure and igor i would be so suprised if you pick up stats that can accurately measure prescence of a player on the ice. Its like Gretzky when he was on the ice every one knew something was coming, just like the year where he scored 50goals, defencemen were giving him space so that he doesn't pass, well ok he then scored 50 in 39 and defencmen were still closing down the passing lanes purely because of the prescence on ice of Gretzky. Now before someone goes mental I AM NOT COMPARING THE TALENT OF THE TWO but Nedved does bring a prescence and a cutting edge that is sorely lacking on the Oilers roster. Who else got 20 this year? Smyth, Torres and Moreau....there's no firm guarantee of the latter ever being able to do it again in their careers let alone next year, plus all three were very streaky.

All i guess is what i'm trying to say is that numbers dont tell the whole truth and that Nedved is not going to be horrible for this club and he will slot in nicely as he did in the run in of last season

Old
07-19-2004, 08:50 PM
igor*

Quote:
you really can't always measure the prescence which is what Nedved provides, I never said for a moment or implied that Nedved was a saviour, but he's much better than what else is out there and he does have that raw skill that our team is lacking. I had a feeling that this would happen where the Oilers have the player that they need a excellent raw skill player that is capable of turning the game on its head. I can live with his inconsistencies and his defficiencies in defence because he is a threat out there and he will cause a problem for other defences, that stuff isn't even measure and igor i would be so suprised if you pick up stats that can accurately measure prescence of a player on the ice. Its like Gretzky when he was on the ice every one knew something was coming, just like the year where he scored 50goals, defencemen were giving him space so that he doesn't pass, well ok he then scored 50 in 39 and defencmen were still closing down the passing lanes purely because of the prescence on ice of Gretzky. Now before someone goes mental I AM NOT COMPARING THE TALENT OF THE TWO but Nedved does bring a prescence and a cutting edge that is sorely lacking on the Oilers roster. Who else got 20 this year? Smyth, Torres and Moreau....there's no firm guarantee of the latter ever being able to do it again in their careers let alone next year, plus all three were very streaky.

All i guess is what i'm trying to say is that numbers dont tell the whole truth and that Nedved is not going to be horrible for this club and he will slot in nicely as he did in the run in of last season
Well, I'm going to make this my last point on the issue. But to compare Nedved to Gretzky is a tad silly, no? But, right now, I think most posters here agree with you.

MacTavish isn't "defense-mad" as some suggest. As long as the good outweighs the bad, you play.

It's no mystery which players make you win ... and its NOT an invisible aura than can only be seen with special glasses ... it is outscorers. Even though I barely remember seeing Bobby Orr play, the numbers say that he was the best ever at it, either that or terrifically lucky for many years in a row. And Gretzky was close.

Old
07-19-2004, 09:07 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor
Well, I'm going to make this my last point on the issue. But to compare Nedved to Gretzky is a tad silly, no? But, right now, I think most posters here agree with you.

MacTavish isn't "defense-mad" as some suggest. As long as the good outweighs the bad, you play.

It's no mystery which players make you win ... and its NOT an invisible aura than can only be seen with special glasses ... it is outscorers. Even though I barely remember seeing Bobby Orr play, the numbers say that he was the best ever at it, either that or terrifically lucky for many years in a row. And Gretzky was close.
I think you're making excellent points, keep going.

As talented as Nedved is he doesn't really do any of the dirty work and that really stands out on a MacT team. I've said this before, but in a game this past season Nedved waited for a defender to engage an opponent instead of doing it his own damn self. If I can see that from the stands, then MacT can sure as hell see it and there are other examples.

If he signs, I'll certainly be happy about it (the Oilers simply MUST get that pp going) but it does make working Hemsky into the top 6 mix more difficult imo. You'd have a small center (York), a center who was defensively indifferent (Nedved) and a kid overwhelmed by the learning curve.

Doubt all three would play in the top 6.

Old
07-19-2004, 10:45 PM
oilers24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
I believe it's zilch.
No there will be conpensation but depending on how much $ he signs for

Old
07-19-2004, 11:43 PM
Bob Mooseknuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeySense85
I have been thinking about this myself, and I keep wondering if the Oilers should give Isbister a shot at Center.
I'm not 100% sure if Isbister is the right guy to play centre in the absence of a #1 or 2 guy (Nedved, Nylander, Allison, etc.) but I think you are on the right track. There is something about opportunity and confidence that brings out the best in athletes. If Isbister is one of those guys that needs to be told he is "the man" he just might turn into that Todd Bertuzzi we are waiting for.

Sometimes you have to think outside the box to improve. 'Hockey Sense' you have the right idea though. I don't believe we NEED Nedved to win a few playoff rounds, or the Cup. To take a line from Miracle , We don't need the best players. We need the right players.

Old
07-20-2004, 06:48 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Stanley
I'm not 100% sure if Isbister is the right guy to play centre in the absence of a #1 or 2 guy (Nedved, Nylander, Allison, etc.) but I think you are on the right track. There is something about opportunity and confidence that brings out the best in athletes. If Isbister is one of those guys that needs to be told he is "the man" he just might turn into that Todd Bertuzzi we are waiting for.

Sometimes you have to think outside the box to improve. 'Hockey Sense' you have the right idea though. I don't believe we NEED Nedved to win a few playoff rounds, or the Cup. To take a line from Miracle , We don't need the best players. We need the right players.
It's funny, the limited times I've seen Isbister at centre, he's won the faceoff and played fairly well.

Old
07-20-2004, 09:37 AM
Oilers Ent

Send a message via MSN to Oilers Ent
We should avoid more experiments if at all possible. Last year's experiment with Smyth at centre didn't exactly work out very well.

Old
07-20-2004, 09:54 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 6000
Izzy is now with his 3rd organization--Phoenix. NYI and now Edmonton--he is starting to look like Chad Kilgar lazier twin

Old
07-20-2004, 11:27 AM
copperandblue

Going back to the posts questioning the wether Nedved truly is the answer; (warning - this may ramble a bit)

I have concerns wether Nedved has the desire/heart to do what is needed here. I had/have him labelled as a bit of a malcontent and selfish (not so much in how he plays but general in phylosophy) and question wether he will stay motivated if he came here.

That said, of the guys out there that are available I think that he is the best option. Not the best character, not the best talent, not the best rounded, not the most dynamic but the best fit for what the Oilers need.

I know that there is quite abit of debate about how good or bad the Oilers actually are. A few of the critisisms levied towards them are - No top end talent, to many 2nd/3rd line players, MacT coaches the team in too safe of a manner....

For me, looking at the forward corps of this team I see a lot of depth, alot of above average talent (a debate for another time perhaps), no stars, good team work, a decent work ethic....

I think this make up can be very successful. I look around the league and see teams like - for example - Calgary where they have one of the brightest stars in the game. They also have a team that lives and dies with that one player (no Calgary / Edmonton debates please). If Iggy goes down, the team goes down with him...even if they manage to tread water for a while. This is not uncommon with a lot of teams. Vancouver is in trouble with out Bertuzzi or Naslund and so on. Teams with top end talent rely mainly on those same couple players. It makes for some dynamic play but it also makes for a fragile team. One ill timed injury and ....

Now with Edmonton's make up - and no, I am not suggesting they are going to take the league by storm - there are at this point 9 or 10 players that that have the ability to pick up slack for different players on the team, play in different situations and so on (obviously to varying degrees but I think moreso than most other teams). It gives this team a real opportunity to compete through possible hardships that come over the course of a season.

That said an offensive center is sorley missing and needs to be addressed and this brings us to Nedved. Finally.

There are two options available to fill the center position. Sign a free agent or trade for one. Considering the posibilities that are now in the system do they need a guy for a couple years or for 6 years? With varying opinions many feel that a couple years should bridge the gap until they can replace from within. Why give up an asset or even a couple assets when it may not be needed for a long term solution. Couple that with the fact that the Oilers need a player that is performing now. Not a player that is potentially rounding into form. That makes the age, asking price and future contract amounts all factors in the decision making.

That makes the trading scenario plan B in my opinion.

And brings us to plan A, signing an affordable UFA and choosing within that price range who is the best fit. Some guys names have popped up like Allison and Lindros who are top rate talents when healthy but also command the spot light. Something I am not convincd is necessary to make this team better. Other guys like Weimer or Cullen who are very very safe but that flies in the face of the idea that the Oilers need a guy that can provide a different dimension, a different look to the way the Oilers play. They don't need more guys that are defensively reponsible first / offence is a bonus type player.

Then there is a guy like Nedved, for all his shortcomings and yes he has them, he is an offense first player that can create with the puck. Moreso, possibly even more important, he has never been the guy that has demanded to be relied upon. He doesn't steal the spot light, he has always fit best on a team where he is playing his offensive role but not demanding to play ahead of the rest of the group. That, to me, is what this team needs. They need a guy that will take a regular shift, play on the power play and can be used in critical situations such as at the end of a game when pressing for a goal. Not a guy that the team revolves around.

This team doesn't need an all star to carry them. Despite all the problems this team had last year, they were 5 wins away from a 100pt season. Can better goaltending, a better PP and a guy that can create one or two more last minute opportunities over the course of an entire season make up 5 more W's on the year? I would say so.

Until proven otherwise, I would say that the goaltending is already better this year and based on what Nedved had shown at the end of last year (not that I would expect an 80pt season) I would say that at the very least he povides a different dimension to the offense.

That, too me, makes him a very nice fit here. He does not overpower the team, he is not a guy the team would become dependent on, he does provide a missing ingredient and if he signs for 3 mil as anticipated he fits the budget.

The Oilers don't need a saviour (something he is sorta getting billed as) because they don't need saving. All they need is a guy to compliment what is already here, something I think he does.

All that said I would be leary in seeing a long term contract and at most would like to see 2 + an option.

Flame away....

Old
07-20-2004, 11:43 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
Going back to the posts questioning the wether Nedved truly is the answer; (warning - this may ramble a bit)

I have concerns wether Nedved has the desire/heart to do what is needed here. I had/have him labelled as a bit of a malcontent and selfish (not so much in how he plays but general in phylosophy) and question wether he will stay motivated if he came here.

That said, of the guys out there that are available I think that he is the best option. Not the best character, not the best talent, not the best rounded, not the most dynamic but the best fit for what the Oilers need.

I know that there is quite abit of debate about how good or bad the Oilers actually are. A few of the critisisms levied towards them are - No top end talent, to many 2nd/3rd line players, MacT coaches the team in too safe of a manner....

For me, looking at the forward corps of this team I see a lot of depth, alot of above average talent (a debate for another time perhaps), no stars, good team work, a decent work ethic....

I think this make up can be very successful. I look around the league and see teams like - for example - Calgary where they have one of the brightest stars in the game. They also have a team that lives and dies with that one player (no Calgary / Edmonton debates please). If Iggy goes down, the team goes down with him...even if they manage to tread water for a while. This is not uncommon with a lot of teams. Vancouver is in trouble with out Bertuzzi or Naslund and so on. Teams with top end talent rely mainly on those same couple players. It makes for some dynamic play but it also makes for a fragile team. One ill timed injury and ....

Now with Edmonton's make up - and no, I am not suggesting they are going to take the league by storm - there are at this point 9 or 10 players that that have the ability to pick up slack for different players on the team, play in different situations and so on (obviously to varying degrees but I think moreso than most other teams). It gives this team a real opportunity to compete through possible hardships that come over the course of a season.

That said an offensive center is sorley missing and needs to be addressed and this brings us to Nedved. Finally.

There are two options available to fill the center position. Sign a free agent or trade for one. Considering the posibilities that are now in the system do they need a guy for a couple years or for 6 years? With varying opinions many feel that a couple years should bridge the gap until they can replace from within. Why give up an asset or even a couple assets when it may not be needed for a long term solution. Couple that with the fact that the Oilers need a player that is performing now. Not a player that is potentially rounding into form. That makes the age, asking price and future contract amounts all factors in the decision making.

That makes the trading scenario plan B in my opinion.

And brings us to plan A, signing an affordable UFA and choosing within that price range who is the best fit. Some guys names have popped up like Allison and Lindros who are top rate talents when healthy but also command the spot light. Something I am not convincd is necessary to make this team better. Other guys like Weimer or Cullen who are very very safe but that flies in the face of the idea that the Oilers need a guy that can provide a different dimension, a different look to the way the Oilers play. They don't need more guys that are defensively reponsible first / offence is a bonus type player.

Then there is a guy like Nedved, for all his shortcomings and yes he has them, he is an offense first player that can create with the puck. Moreso, possibly even more important, he has never been the guy that has demanded to be relied upon. He doesn't steal the spot light, he has always fit best on a team where he is playing his offensive role but not demanding to play ahead of the rest of the group. That, to me, is what this team needs. They need a guy that will take a regular shift, play on the power play and can be used in critical situations such as at the end of a game when pressing for a goal. Not a guy that the team revolves around.

This team doesn't need an all star to carry them. Despite all the problems this team had last year, they were 5 wins away from a 100pt season. Can better goaltending, a better PP and a guy that can create one or two more last minute opportunities over the course of an entire season make up 5 more W's on the year? I would say so.

Until proven otherwise, I would say that the goaltending is already better this year and based on what Nedved had shown at the end of last year (not that I would expect an 80pt season) I would say that at the very least he povides a different dimension to the offense.

That, too me, makes him a very nice fit here. He does not overpower the team, he is not a guy the team would become dependent on, he does provide a missing ingredient and if he signs for 3 mil as anticipated he fits the budget.

The Oilers don't need a saviour (something he is sorta getting billed as) because they don't need saving. All they need is a guy to compliment what is already here, something I think he does.

All that said I would be leary in seeing a long term contract and at most would like to see 2 + an option.

Flame away....
Great post. I think your analysis of the Oilers situation is right on the mark. Also, I believe that a player like Nedved may be helpful to the development of players like Hemsky. It would be intersting to see Hemsky in a secondary scoring role for an extended period of time. The thinking is that it may take some pressure off of the kid, and allow him to find his place. Having Nedved might allow that to happen.

Old
07-20-2004, 12:46 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
There are two options available to fill the center position. Sign a free agent or trade for one. Considering the posibilities that are now in the system do they need a guy for a couple years or for 6 years? With varying opinions many feel that a couple years should bridge the gap until they can replace from within. Why give up an asset or even a couple assets when it may not be needed for a long term solution.
Excellent post copperandblue and I would say that I agree with the general conclusion but I have a small quibble with the reasoning. You ask why give up an asset or even a couple assets but that is not how I view trading. We do not give up, we exchange. And whenever we are able to say that our young, homegrown assets are superior then we trade again. The only time when signing a UFA is superior is when you don't actually have enough quality assets (23) to fill out the roster. In my opinion we have a couple of extras laying around and if they could be translated into a first line centre then I say go for it. The only thing worse for a team than not having enough players is having too many. (IMO the surplus on wing was a problem last year for a lot of those guys.) If not then try to get Nedved as he is the only UFA out there that I would consider to be attractive for the job.

Old
07-20-2004, 01:56 PM
sorgs20

I think all this talk about Nedved being a liability defensively are really exaggerated. He kills penaltys, and while not physical he uses his smarts and is fine in his own end. I remember a play shortly after he arrived when he slid to block a shot and it more or less hit him in the chest, that is not a play that a heartless player makes.

If Lowe is going to sign someone he has to swing for the fences, which means Nedved or a gamble on Lindros or Allison. Not simply pick up stop gaps such as Cullen who is a less gritty model of Horcoff. If you can not grab 1 of those playes then he should save his money and hope that someone that fits the bill comes up for trade.

Old
07-20-2004, 04:27 PM
CanmoreMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Stanley
Hi everyone. This is my first post, but I've been reading the discussions on the Oilers for the past year or so. I've been an Oil fan since 1986 (yes a rough year to start).

I'd love to see Nedved back next year, but what if he isn't? I mean, we can all play GM and look for other players to take over (and we do need a #1 centre). Suppose Lowe can't get anyone. What does MacT do? What would you do if you were the coach of the Oilers and had the same players in game #1 as we do today? (Assume Reasoner is good to go if you want to).
The only thing we can do - we trade from our depth and make something happen there. I've suggested Joe Thornton, others have suggested Joe Thornton, maybe there are other bodies out there that will be tempting but right now I say he's the best fit for us on the market.

Him and Lecavalier - but then K-Lowe has missed that window at least twice now.

Old
07-20-2004, 04:30 PM
CanmoreMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorgs20

If Lowe is going to sign someone he has to swing for the fences, which means Nedved or a gamble on Lindros or Allison. Not simply pick up stop gaps such as Cullen who is a less gritty model of Horcoff. If you can not grab 1 of those playes then he should save his money and hope that someone that fits the bill comes up for trade.
I'd be intrigued on at least Allison coming to the Oilers - but only if the contract was a management friendly one.

Like 750K base plus bonusses for play. If dude can score like he did in 2001, or even 2002, then we have a keeper. Maybe the second and third years are team options but become guaranteed if Allison hits certain bonusses. No insurer will handle his contract now, but I'm guessing if he can return to old then it won't be out of line to think the 2nd and 3rd years are insured.

Old
07-20-2004, 05:54 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil
Excellent post copperandblue and I would say that I agree with the general conclusion but I have a small quibble with the reasoning. You ask why give up an asset or even a couple assets but that is not how I view trading. We do not give up, we exchange. And whenever we are able to say that our young, homegrown assets are superior then we trade again. The only time when signing a UFA is superior is when you don't actually have enough quality assets (23) to fill out the roster. In my opinion we have a couple of extras laying around and if they could be translated into a first line centre then I say go for it. The only thing worse for a team than not having enough players is having too many. (IMO the surplus on wing was a problem last year for a lot of those guys.) If not then try to get Nedved as he is the only UFA out there that I would consider to be attractive for the job.
That's a fair point, I actually have a personal tendancy to see more as better especially when many of the more have not quite rounded into form yet and I am not sure what they may ultimately become.

But your right, if your too overloaded then that can be just as bad because one or more of the players is likely not progressing as you need them too.

I have never been opposed to a trade if it is well done, if that is the route that Lowe takes here then that's fine.

I would hate to see Lowe overpay though (goes for any trade I guess) should it come down to that. Like I said earlier, there is a definate need to get that type of player but I am convinced that the need is simply a compliment to the current make up of the team not a need that demands any desperate deals on Lowes part. What ever is done I would like to see Lowe have good guys left - even if they good guys to deal later because a hockey season throws a lot of twists and turns at a team and I would hate to see Lowe jeoprodize his future options.

Closed Thread