HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Zack Kassian

Old
12-09-2008, 03:03 AM
Ched Brosky

vCash: 500
Zack Kassian

Can someone give me a scouting report on this guy? I noticed he has been considered as a top 10 pick who will likely be picked around 15. I was wondering if he is as good as his stats this year imply because his stats from the season before make it look like that he was a completely different player last season

Ched Brosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 05:35 AM
glucker

I'm pretty sure there are other threads about him, from what I've read, a better version of Lucic

glucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 08:59 AM
Ten

Look for more of his fights on youtube.

Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 10:08 AM
Ched Brosky

Quote:
Originally Posted by glucker View Post
I'm pretty sure there are other threads about him, from what I've read, a better version of Lucic
Damn, if thats true, I'd love for the Nucks to draft him with their pick if Ryan Ellis is already taken. Vancouver's two needs are a big bruising power foward (that can actually finish) and a offensive dman that can carry the puck end to end.
I was a bit pissed the Nucks passed on Lucic and took Taylor Ellington that year with the 32nd over pick, hell even more pissed that they took Pat White in the first round over Lucic.

Anyone think he would be available around the 20th pick?

Ched Brosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 10:13 AM
Ten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback91 View Post
Damn, if thats true, I'd love for the Nucks to draft him with their pick if Ryan Ellis is already taken. Vancouver's two needs are a big bruising power foward (that can actually finish) and a offensive dman that can carry the puck end to end.
I was a bit pissed the Nucks passed on Lucic and took Taylor Ellington that year with the 32nd over pick, hell even more pissed that they took Pat White in the first round over Lucic.

IMO honestly, no. I think he's a Top 10 pick (although, I can't put him in the Top 9). If he's still on the board at 15, I'll be surprised.

But the draft happens in June, who knows.

Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 10:45 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Offensively, yes (it seems at least - like he'll develop into a better offensive player). Physically... hard to say. Lucic is a guy who stepped in at age 19 and was beating up grown men.

I'm not sure if Kassian will be able to do that, and win as handedly as I've seen Lucic beat up on players.

I think Lucic is a stronger player, but Kassian should have the higher offensive output. And his skating is not nearly as bad as Lucic's was at the same time. Though Lucic's skating IMO has improved greatly since coming into the NHL.

As for Kassian, he's a big, strong player, who's fearless and knows how to use his size to his advantage, and is not afraid to drop the mitts at all. He's a well spoken, nice kid and will protect his team mates and himself at all costs. He's been accused (from what I remember reading/hearing) of not picking his battles wisely.. in that he can get pulled into no use fights easily, or retaliate. But in the last game I saw vs. Windsor, Greenop tried to taunt him into a fight but Kassian knew it wasn't a fair trade off.

He has deceptive speed, and has powerful strides. He could work on his first couple steps, but what player that size doesn't need to work on that area? But he moves well for a big guy, and his technique is very good. Better then say.. Greg Nemisz, a big 6'3 player taken 1st round by Calgary last year.

Kassian also has some strong on-ice awareness and good offensive instincts. I believe he had an A last year at certain points of the season (he has one this season) which displays his leadership abilities. He also sees time on the PK if I'm not mistaken.

Overall he has a great package that I wouldn't be surprised to see taken in the top 10. If someone really likes what they see with him then I can see him taken early. If not I'd be shocked to see him last past 15th pick. He has the tools you don't really see in todays NHL. He seems like a players coach. In that, he'll play the type of game that the coach wants him to. He can be an energy guy, a scoring forward, a two-way guy... seems to have everything a team would want. He is a bit raw, but most players his size are.

So in conclusion:

Assets: Solid NHL frame, aggressive and strong on the forecheck, fearless, great on ice vision, and strong offensive instincts. Good leadership skills (from my perspective). Fan favourite.

Flaws: Needs to work on his acceleration and first steps. Also needs to continue to fine tune his overall raw game, which shouldn't be a huge problem.

Potential: Power Forward (in the truest sense)

Definately shaping up to be one of the more intriguing draft day picks IMO. But that's just my perspective, I'm sure some more dedicated OHL junkies can give a better view of him.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 10:48 AM
Ryan Van Horne
aka Scribe

Send a message via ICQ to Ryan Van Horne Send a message via Skype™ to Ryan Van Horne
Quote:
Can someone give me a scouting report on this guy? I noticed he has been considered as a top 10 pick who will likely be picked around 15. I was wondering if he is as good as his stats this year imply because his stats from the season before make it look like that he was a completely different player last season
Don't pay too much attention to the statistics of 16-year-old major junior players. Some get more playing time than others and more get opportunities. Also, it's a big adjustment and it takes some kids a full year to get used to the faster pace of play.

Loves to throw body checks. Loves to fight and is good at it. Not afraid of anyone. Dropped the gloves with Richard Greenop of Windsor last week and although it wasn't much of a fight, it shows Kassian won't back down from anyone. He has a mean streak, too.

He's a good playmaker and has a good shot. He's the prototypical power forward, the old-fashioned kind that doesn't come along very much anymore.

Quote:
He's certainly doing better at the age of 17 than Lucic did, but I'm not sure we can say for sure that Kassian will be better than Lucic. One thing that sets Lucic apart is his work ethic. As was mentioned in a recent feature on him in The Hockey News, Lucic's work ethic is unparalleled. He made himself the player he is today.

Kassian has more natural ability than Lucic does, but he has a lot of work to do before he accomplish in the NHL what Lucic has.

I'm not betting against him or anything, just saying, it's an even bigger step to the NHL from junior than it is from midget to junior. You've got to put the effort in.

Ryan Van Horne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 10:52 AM
Ryan Van Horne
aka Scribe

Send a message via ICQ to Ryan Van Horne Send a message via Skype™ to Ryan Van Horne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho99 View Post
Offensively, yes (it seems at least - like he'll develop into a better offensive player). Physically... hard to say. Lucic is a guy who stepped in at age 19 and was beating up grown men.

I'm not sure if Kassian will be able to do that, and win as handedly as I've seen Lucic beat up on players.

I think Lucic is a stronger player, but Kassian should have the higher offensive output. And his skating is not nearly as bad as Lucic's was at the same time. Though Lucic's skating IMO has improved greatly since coming into the NHL.

As for Kassian, he's a big, strong player, who's fearless and knows how to use his size to his advantage, and is not afraid to drop the mitts at all. He's a well spoken, nice kid and will protect his team mates and himself at all costs. He's been accused (from what I remember reading/hearing) of not picking his battles wisely.. in that he can get pulled into no use fights easily, or retaliate. But in the last game I saw vs. Windsor, Greenop tried to taunt him into a fight but Kassian knew it wasn't a fair trade off.

He has deceptive speed, and has powerful strides. He could work on his first couple steps, but what player that size doesn't need to work on that area? But he moves well for a big guy, and his technique is very good. Better then say.. Greg Nemisz, a big 6'3 player taken 1st round by Calgary last year.

Kassian also has some strong on-ice awareness and good offensive instincts. I believe he had an A last year at certain points of the season (he has one this season) which displays his leadership abilities. He also sees time on the PK if I'm not mistaken.

Overall he has a great package that I wouldn't be surprised to see taken in the top 10. If someone really likes what they see with him then I can see him taken early. If not I'd be shocked to see him last past 15th pick. He has the tools you don't really see in todays NHL. He seems like a players coach. In that, he'll play the type of game that the coach wants him to. He can be an energy guy, a scoring forward, a two-way guy... seems to have everything a team would want. He is a bit raw, but most players his size are.

So in conclusion:

Assets: Solid NHL frame, aggressive and strong on the forecheck, fearless, great on ice vision, and strong offensive instincts. Good leadership skills (from my perspective). Fan favourite.

Flaws: Needs to work on his acceleration and first steps. Also needs to continue to fine tune his overall raw game, which shouldn't be a huge problem.

Potential: Power Forward (in the truest sense)

Definately shaping up to be one of the more intriguing draft day picks IMO. But that's just my perspective, I'm sure some more dedicated OHL junkies can give a better view of him.
Nice read, Jericho. Thanks.

As for Kassian and where he'll go, it's difficult to predict. I mentioned this in another thread about Kassian, but because of his style of play, he could be a draft-day wildcar.

By that I mean he could go higher than many people rank him because a GM could decided he just has to have him and doesn't want to risk not getting him because he's a singular commodity. How many other true power forward types are there in the first round? If the Leafs pick in the 5-10 range, I could see Burke taking Kassian and relishing it.

Ryan Van Horne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 12:42 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Where would he be ranked if he didn't like to fight and hadn't been in one yet? Top OHL picks in recent years generally seem to have much better offensive statistics. I know he's a big kid, and big kids take a little longer, but still. Any insight, there?

In 1995, Steve Kelly was taken sixth overall, followed by Shane Doan at seventh and Terry Ryan at eighth. All were big strapping wingers who liked to mix it up and had big-time powerforward potential. What makes Kassian more like Doan and less like Kelly and Ryan? Also, Brad May, out of the OHL, many years ago put up amazing numbers in both points and PIMs. He was selected 14th overall and has been nothing more than a middle-weight enforcer/energy player throughout his career. I'm not saying Kassian will fall into that same role, I've never even seen the kid play(outside of highlights), but I'm just wondering what it is about him that makes people so confident that he'll be a success. I'm curious becuase I can see my Coyotes falling in love with him, and being in a position to draft him.

Last edited by rt: 12-09-2008 at 01:06 PM.
rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 10:06 PM
timw33

Quote:

Way to go buddy, but check your facts.

Milan Lucic, 2006 Draft.

Ellington/White, 2007 Draft.

Also, Lucic was coming off a 9 goal 19 point WHL campaign and was pegged for the 3rd or 4th round of the draft. Getting taken in the 2nd round was a surprise to many.

Enjoy the wonders of hindsight, I'll give you some help, when someone says Ellington or White you say (in a whiny voice) PARRREEE-ONNNNN Mauuuuuulleeeeer or Repppppiiiiiikkkk

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 10:55 PM
daethfromabove1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Way to go buddy, but check your facts.

Milan Lucic, 2006 Draft.

Ellington/White, 2007 Draft.

Also, Lucic was coming off a 9 goal 19 point WHL campaign and was pegged for the 3rd or 4th round of the draft. Getting taken in the 2nd round was a surprise to many.

Enjoy the wonders of hindsight, I'll give you some help, when someone says Ellington or White you say (in a whiny voice) PARRREEE-ONNNNN Mauuuuuulleeeeer or Repppppiiiiiikkkk
i was gonna call this guy out on being pissed on draft day for the canucks not taking lucic(who as you said was a surprise to go as high as he did, great pick boston) but was going to give him the benefit of the doubt because he goes for vancouver and lucic played in vancouver in the dub so he have seen him play in junior, but getting the years mixed up for ellington and white is just poor

daethfromabove1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 12:10 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
I'm absolutely overjoyed to see all these true power forwards starting to show up in the leagues. Lucic is already here, Beach is on the way and now Kassian, hopefully power forwards will start showing up again and become truely popular.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 09:12 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Where would he be ranked if he didn't like to fight and hadn't been in one yet? Top OHL picks in recent years generally seem to have much better offensive statistics. I know he's a big kid, and big kids take a little longer, but still. Any insight, there?

In 1995, Steve Kelly was taken sixth overall, followed by Shane Doan at seventh and Terry Ryan at eighth. All were big strapping wingers who liked to mix it up and had big-time powerforward potential. What makes Kassian more like Doan and less like Kelly and Ryan? Also, Brad May, out of the OHL, many years ago put up amazing numbers in both points and PIMs. He was selected 14th overall and has been nothing more than a middle-weight enforcer/energy player throughout his career. I'm not saying Kassian will fall into that same role, I've never even seen the kid play(outside of highlights), but I'm just wondering what it is about him that makes people so confident that he'll be a success. I'm curious becuase I can see my Coyotes falling in love with him, and being in a position to draft him.
Because he brings a total package. It's hard to explain I mean, I can't compare him to a 1995 draft because I was 7 at the time lol.

His fighting ability isn't what makes him a great prospect, it's just an added bonus. He has a great phyiscal game and uses his body wisely. He has an under-rated offensive game, and see's the ice very well.

He's not a sure lock to be a success but due to his overall skill set, and size he's almost a lock to make the NHL IMO. How much of an impact he'll have depends on how his game develops in the years coming.

No one can dictate that type of careers NHL'ers will have. He may turn into Brad May, he could turn into Shane Doan. But the gamble from what I see right now from him, is well worth it. Especially from a team like Phoenix who has enough young talent as is.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote