HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nathan Horton on the trade block?

Old
12-08-2008, 08:49 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I love how when a player gets in a slump he is suddenly very expendable, does no one remember that Plekanec was our best overall forward last year?
No, we don't forget(mind you, our best forward overall was kovalev). It's just, IMO, I never saw him as a first line center, never will. Talented two-way player, but he lacks size, grit and if we can get a player who's just as talented but more gritty, why not? I don't want to see him go, but you gotta give something to get something. We're not prepared to send koivu, tanguay and the kostitsyns. Lang and kovalev don't have value for a rebuilding team. Besides our 4th liners there's only really higgins, plek, latendresse to send there. Personally, I like higgins, so that leaves the other two. Like i said, this is my opinion though, others will say trade higgins or even trade markov for all I know.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Kaptain Bégin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Honestly.....and I'll be blasted for thinking it.....but I would seriously think about a package involving Plekanec.
I like that. I like Plekanec, but Horton could become the big center we need. With Maxwell a couple of year away to become as good as Pleky, why not.

I think Plekanec is a Jacques Martin type of player. Skate, good defensivelly and not bad defensivelly. It will cost us more than him, but he's a good start.

Kaptain Bégin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 09:50 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
No, we don't forget(mind you, our best forward overall was kovalev). It's just, IMO, I never saw him as a first line center, never will. Talented two-way player, but he lacks size, grit and if we can get a player who's just as talented but more gritty, why not? I don't want to see him go, but you gotta give something to get something. We're not prepared to send koivu, tanguay and the kostitsyns. Lang and kovalev don't have value for a rebuilding team. Besides our 4th liners there's only really higgins, plek, latendresse to send there. Personally, I like higgins, so that leaves the other two. Like i said, this is my opinion though, others will say trade higgins or even trade markov for all I know.

Horton lacks grit as much as Plekanec, he just comes in a bigger package.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 10:52 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Then, at the worse, he still has the size and more skill than plek anyway.

Old
12-08-2008, 11:02 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Then, at the worse, he still has the size and more skill than plek anyway.
How so. Maybe overall better potential but Pleakanec has talent.
Also, does Horton play center only?
If not, why so?

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 11:08 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
With Latendresse and Sergei in the stands and Pacioretty probably being ready next season, we don't need Anthony Stewart. Remember that Horton had his goals on a weaker team then the Habs offensively, Plekanec was carried by Kovalev that surpassed his normal standards, Higgins played all season on the pp and the 1st line with Koivu. I thought the point about sheding some salary was about getting the less money back? Stewart (who sucks) is a no go
Stewart sucks? Allllreaddy then...

Plekanec was carried by Kovalev? So why was he our best forward in the second half two seasons ago when Kovalev shat to bed, when he was finally taken off his line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Horton has more grit in his pinky than many or our players have in their entire body!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 11:23 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Stewart sucks? Allllreaddy then... Plekanec was carried by Kovalev? So why was he our best forward in the second half two seasons ago when Kovalev shat to bed, when he was finally taken off his line?

Horton has more grit in his pinky than many or our players have in their entire body!
Yes he does, he was an average OHL player, a very average AHL player and a mediocre NHL player who's playing on the 4th line and not really brigning much to a weak offensive core, he's not that fast, has stone hands and hits like a... well i think you get the picture, no need for Florida to include him in a possible and especially no need on our part, even more so when you think thagt we have Chipchura already waiting for a chance.

I agree 2 years ago towards the very end of the year the CAT line was doing amazing stuff on the ice and Plekanec was definately part of it, but please don't reference Horton's production to Plekanec's, that's unfair for Horton, who by the way did not play with Jokien last season, it was Zednick and Booth i believe.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 01:15 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
How so. Maybe overall better potential but Pleakanec has talent.
Also, does Horton play center only?
If not, why so?
Everyone says he's got untapped potential. His stats don't hurt his case either.

Old
12-09-2008, 02:35 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Everyone says he's got untapped potential. His stats don't hurt his case either.
Especially on a **** team. Pleks has Kovalev etc... Horton has....Stillman? Woa and he still potted 60 points.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 03:42 AM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarfangor View Post
Especially on a **** team. Pleks has Kovalev etc... Horton has....Stillman? Woa and he still potted 60 points.
I would argue that it takes a more intelligent and skilled player to be able to play alongside Kovalev than to not...Kovalev is not an easy player to lineup with. Actually, Horton has Booth, who currently has more goals and shots than Kovalev and Booth has missed the past three games, so it is not like he is playing with scrubs here...you act like Florida can't mustard a single offensive winger to play alongside Horton. Horton may be the better goal scorer of the two, but Pleks scored more points last year and has had a continual upswing in production, while Horton has had 62 points the last two seasons in a row...and yet people like to think that Horton has more potential and that it is untapped.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 06:51 AM
Evil Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I would argue that it takes a more intelligent and skilled player to be able to play alongside Kovalev than to not...Kovalev is not an easy player to lineup with. Actually, Horton has Booth, who currently has more goals and shots than Kovalev and Booth has missed the past three games, so it is not like he is playing with scrubs here...you act like Florida can't mustard a single offensive winger to play alongside Horton. Horton may be the better goal scorer of the two, but Pleks scored more points last year and has had a continual upswing in production, while Horton has had 62 points the last two seasons in a row...and yet people like to think that Horton has more potential and that it is untapped.
Ummm Montreal had the best pp last year and the season prior to that, alot of Kovalevs and Pleks points were results of this, the panthers probably were not that impressive with the man advantage and Horton probably worked harder for the pts he got.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 12:20 PM
Megaforce

I dont think we should get Horton. He was born when the Moon of Pisces was in the House of Sagitarrius. Thats always bad.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 12:57 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
Ummm Montreal had the best pp last year and the season prior to that, alot of Kovalevs and Pleks points were results of this, the panthers probably were not that impressive with the man advantage and Horton probably worked harder for the pts he got.
Wrong. Only 25 of Plekanec's points last year were from the PP compared to Horton's 19. So if you compare, Horton recieved 32% of his points on the PP, while Plekanec only recieved 28% of his points on the PP, therefore if anyones stats were inflating by the PP, it was Hortons. So next time you are going to try to act smug and intelligent, maybe you should know what you are talking about. BTW, Florida had the 6th best PP in the league last year.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote