HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Assumtion on Flyer forwards.. am I totally wrong?

Old
12-07-2008, 10:10 AM
rban*

vCash: 500
Assumtion on Flyer forwards.. am I totally wrong?

Watched a fee games and viewed the stats, and this is my impression: correct me if I'm wrong:

Seems to me that 3 stars (Gagne, Richards, Carter) are doing very well and the rest are sitting back a bit and leaving it all up to that trio. (xcept for KNUBLE who is performing as expected... I like Knuble, cheap contract very reliable)

Seems to me that Flyers this year have lost some of last year's 'balance'.

Briere is injured a lot, but leaving aside him: I am focussing on the performance specifically of LUPUL and HARTNELL.

Are LUPUL and HARTNELL disappointments this year?

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Selanne08*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
Watched a fee games and viewed the stats, and this is my impression: correct me if I'm wrong:

Seems to me that 3 stars (Gagne, Richards, Carter) are doing very well and the rest are sitting back a bit and leaving it all up to that trio. (xcept for KNUBLE who is performing as expected... I like Knuble, cheap contract very reliable)

Briere is injured a lot, but leaving aside him: I am focussing on the performance specifically of LUPUL and HARTNELL.

you are totally wrong on the spelling of assumption.

Selanne08* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 10:14 AM
Jester

We have 6 players on pace for 20+ goals, and assuming Briere plays enough games he'll certainly get there, too.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 10:20 AM
BerubeBox*

No I think he's probably right. It's a big hit not to have gagne or your team. It was as emotional not having gagne last year as it was when we didn't have forsberg. The team had to work hard and rally for the missing top goal scorer.

Briere's been missing for most of this year and there hasn't been the same type of rallying. I attribute it to the fact we don't need it so desperately. We're doing pretty good and not coming off a bad year this time.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 10:23 AM
turkinaa

Moving from a 3 line team to a 2 line team (due to the loss of Briere - I don't think Metro can create the same production Briere can as a center) hurts and even if production isn't always there, the players themselves are doing fine (as long as no one starts throwing gloves).

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 10:26 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerubeBox View Post
No I think he's probably right. It's a big hit not to have gagne or your team. It was as emotional not having gagne last year as it was when we didn't have forsberg. The team had to work hard and rally for the missing top goal scorer.

Briere's been missing for most of this year and there hasn't been the same type of rallying. I attribute it to the fact we don't need it so desperately. We're doing pretty good and not coming off a bad year this time.
Briere has only been in the lineup for two of this teams wins, and only played 10:39, and 7:41 in those games.

With Briere: 2-4-3
Without Briere: 11-3-3

I think the rallying theory is weak regardless, as they need to go out and play with who they got. But it's pretty much impossible they haven't "rallied" without Briere this year.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 10:37 AM
BerubeBox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
But it's pretty much impossible they haven't "rallied" without Briere this year.
We're in agreement. I meant they haven't rallied specifically because of danny's being out. I think last year, long term, that definitely weighed on their minds. It was a forsberg effect where gags kept almost coming back.

Put another way, I guess, they're not dependent on danny this year at all, because as the OP indirectly mentioned, they don't need to be.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Kaktus*

I think Hartnell picked up his game and plays well especially after he threw his glove. He skates well, he is physical but scoring is not there.

Lupul is a bit of a floater. Plays every other game.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 05:04 PM
27roenick97

hartnell's game has been very good for most of the season. i remember reading up that he was one of the leaders in scoring chances--they'll start going in for him. hartnell also brings a lot else to the table when he isn't scoring...

lupul needs to be scoring to be an "effective" player.

27roenick97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 05:32 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post

What game did you watch? If it was one of the last two, the sitting back aspect was blatantly obvious, but that's out of the norm of the team.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 02:07 PM
redman

I think Hartnell has had a fairly decent season. He gets noticed most games, but just is not scoring. Lupul has disappeared!

redman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 02:11 PM
decadentia

I'd really like to see the Lupul we briefly witnessed last year. He was throwing his body around some, and scoring timely goals.

Honestly, at this point, if he can't bring multiple things to the table...I'd rather he just become a complete cherry picker and net some goals.

He's always been streaky though, so i'm just waiting for it.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 07:26 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I think Lupul's playing scared this year. It's eerily similar to what happened with Umberger. Umberger had the good rookie season, was rocked by Brian Campbell in the playoffs and then his play in the next season really tallied off. Yes, the entire team was terrible in Umberger's second season, but none the less, you could tell he was playing scared after that hit. Same with Lupul. After getting rocked by that big useless oaf who's on injured reserve, Lupul was never the same player. He's been playing guarded and reserved.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 07:45 PM
dawkins121

Hartnell couldn't get onto the scoring sheet at the beginning of last season either. I remember it took him forever to get his first goal. He provides a lot of hard work and stuff that doesn't show up on the board, but once he gets it going he can put up points too.

Lupul seems to live for streaks. Two or three big hot streaks and he'll be a 25 goal guy.

Can't really say we'd be more balanced if Briere wasn't injured because Gagne was injured last year.

So unless Umberger happened to be the key to a balanced offense (doubtful), I think things will balance out at the end of the year. That is unless Richards, Carter, and Gagne keep it up at the pace they are going in which case no it won't be balanced because they will be having 3 fantastic seasons.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 07:50 AM
rban*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
So unless Umberger happened to be the key to a balanced offense (doubtful), I think things will balance out at the end of the year. .

Dont forget Prospal. I aso think Upshall scored more last year than he will this year.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 08:34 AM
Sundevil9

I find the Hartnell criticism puzzling. He did start slow, and got benched, but he's picked his game up in response and played very well of late. He's on Carter's line, and does the dirty work to get him the puck. Carter can't be playing well without Hartnell playing well.

Lupul was demoted/punished at the same time as Hartnell. As stated before, he tends to just come and go. Part of his problem is not having linemates that he 'clicks' with.

Sundevil9 is offline   Reply With Quote