HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT ideas?

Closed Thread

Old
07-20-2004, 08:32 PM
branko_81

vCash: 500
OT ideas?

hey,for those of you who played hockey growing up i am wondering if anyone in the NHL AHL of other wise have thought about using this way of setting tie games in for the regular season... the way i am talking about is each team starts off with 5 players a aside for 5 mins and then if no one scores 4 on 4 for 5 mins and then 3 on 3 until it is just 1 on 1 and then it is just a matrer of time before it ends... i think this would be awesome during the regular season because there is nothing more disappointing than seeing a game end i a tie imo... let me know your thoughts and if you think that:

2pts=win
1pt=OT loss
0pts= regulation loss???

Old
07-20-2004, 09:03 PM
mackdogs*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed-city-hippie
hey,for those of you who played hockey growing up i am wondering if anyone in the NHL AHL of other wise have thought about using this way of setting tie games in for the regular season... the way i am talking about is each team starts off with 5 players a aside for 5 mins and then if no one scores 4 on 4 for 5 mins and then 3 on 3 until it is just 1 on 1 and then it is just a matrer of time before it ends... i think this would be awesome during the regular season because there is nothing more disappointing than seeing a game end i a tie imo... let me know your thoughts and if you think that:

2pts=win
1pt=OT loss
0pts= regulation loss???
I read this same idea in an overtime thread either here or in the main NHL board and several posters suggested this very idea (including myself). I think it's a great way of doing it. As a fan going home after watching a tie (especially 0-0!) can really suck. Goaltending duos are great on occasion but fans want goals and this would at least let fans go seeing A goal. It would be very surprising to see a game last after 5 mins of 3 on 3 too. Another idea is to cap it at 3 on 3 and just play 5 min segments after the 4 on 4 is done until someone scores.

It seems like the discussions you hear about are only about shootouts. I guess because they use them in Europe I have no idea why that seems to be the only answer to a stale OT.

How about a 2 on 0 for shootouts instead of just 1 shooter? There must be something better than the shootout!

Closed Thread