HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Who do you want to sacrifice when Komi is back.

Old
12-09-2008, 08:28 AM
Iwishihadacup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Hab_Fan View Post
Don't know who called you a clown, Rib is back to what he truly is...Primadonna 20 points minus 7 3 whopping goals to boot.

Hainsey - isn't worth the money his making.

I didn't like the Leclair trade, loved his performance in the playoffs.

Latendresse is no Devin - btw Devin only played 44 games prior to this season.

Edit: My feelings are known, Latendresse is way over blown on this board.

EDit to the edit - Ryan Clowe...16 goals career mark and 11 goals so far this year....and no he isn't a PPG player.

this is one ridiculous argument, If it wasn't the trashers, Hainsey would have got pretty much less on the market, They have to throw ridiculous amounts at players to make sure they don't flee their market

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 08:29 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post
The problem is that the organization has handcuffed itself by keeping Lats in the NHL when he wasn't meeting their exceptions.

They took a chance on a 19yr old on a mediocre team, he didn't play very well outside of a few bright spots with Koivu.

He made the team at 20 on a better team, and still had the same weaknesses than he did his first year.

Now he's 21 and is still essentially the same player that played his first game for us. He's still a slow, soft, forward who can't string more than a few decent games together unless he's playing with Koivu. The problem, is, while Lats has not gotten any better, our team has, players in Hamilton have improved and are now better than him.

Lats is not really to blame for his lack of development, few players grow at the NHL level, when a player is brought up to play a role, it is assumed he's ready to fulfill it, he wasn't. He was a project who never really improved, and just played well enough to stay in the lineup, without taking any risks or building his game, he played the only way he could to stay on the team. Now that we are a better team, his efforts are not good enough anymore, and no one knows what to do with him, if you send him down, you lose him for nothing, and if you keep him in the lineup he hurts your chances of winning because he's not the best man for the job.

From a neutral outlook it would seem trading him would be the best option for the team, and for him.
I couldn't have said it better. Excellent post.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 08:34 AM
onice

Who do you want to sacrifice when Komi is back.

How about an 18 year old virgin? It use to work for the Druids and Mayans.

Old
12-09-2008, 10:08 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

I remember when people were saying that Ribeiro had no trading value.

I'm keeping this thread for future reference. I expect it to generates as much lulz at the 2005 entry draft thread when so many people wanted Timmins fired because he selected a goalie with our 5th overall pick instead of Gilbert Brule.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 10:15 AM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
How about an 18 year old virgin? It use to work for the Druids and Mayans.
Seems to be working so far for the Bruins.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 10:54 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
I remember when people were saying that Ribeiro had no trading value.

I'm keeping this thread for future reference. I expect it to generates as much lulz at the 2005 entry draft thread when so many people wanted Timmins fired because he selected a goalie with our 5th overall pick instead of Gilbert Brule.
What's your point?

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 11:02 AM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

Maybe he is referring to Latendresse as a Franchise Player because the 2005 draftee is a franchise goalie.

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 11:09 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Maybe he is referring to Latendresse as a Franchise Player because the 2005 draftee is a franchise goalie.
It still woudn't make any sence

Old
12-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Not at all. I'm simply refering to the fact that many peoples have made completely ludicrous emotive statements in the past ("Ribeiro has no value", "Gainey/Timmins are stupid to draft an unknown goalie when a guy like Brule is available") the same way that some people here are making completely ludicrous emotive statements ("Latendresse has no value and he wouldn't be picked on waivers") that are going to make them look silly down the line.

Old
12-09-2008, 11:43 AM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

Latendresse does have trade value as a PROJECT - not a prospect. There have been many instances where teams trade PROJECT's...I couldn't care much less right now, this very moment about Latendresse. He has stagnated in my view, there are others coming up the pipe that will deserve a chance next season and if this chap is still here, I believe they won't get that chance.

Old
12-09-2008, 11:49 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem View Post
Seems to be working so far for the Bruins.
Lucic is a virgin but he's not 18.

Old
12-09-2008, 11:53 AM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Latendresse does have trade value as a PROJECT - not a prospect. There have been many instances where teams trade PROJECT's...I couldn't care much less right now, this very moment about Latendresse. He has stagnated in my view, there are others coming up the pipe that will deserve a chance next season and if this chap is still here, I believe they won't get that chance.
Maybe most GMs would share your bleak view of Lat's future in the NHL but others may see some positives :
  • size, that he sometimes uses and maybe could be convinced to use more
  • decent hands and scoring touch
  • somewhat improved skating this year
  • 16 goals in his first two years while averaging 12 minutes a game
  • 16 goals in his first two years with little PP time
  • 16 goals in his first two years while playing on the first to the fourth line

He's not my favourite player but he does have value on the open market. He's paying the price right now for his poor production this year and we'll see what he's got when he returns to the lineup.

He was never as good as he was hyped to be and he isn't as bad as the bashing that's going around here. He was a second round pick who should have spent one more year in junior and at least one year in the minors, just like Chipchura is doing now.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 01:06 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
You don't care because what you have in heart is the team's performances. Who play or doesn't play for this team isn't really significant, as long as we win (and there's nothing wrong with this!)

But a guy like Gainey must see things differently. Of course the team must win, but there are also issues of asset allocation that must be taken care of. Latendresse is an asset. Right now, he's useless for the team's performance. But he's still an asset with a value > 0. And nothing stops Gainey for trading this asset for another one that WILL make a difference for this team. The habs already invested 3 years of developpment in the kid, they won't let him go on the waivers line just because other prospects have taken his spot.

We have a deep team. We can no longer affort to have a guy "learning" in the big club like Latendresse is. But that's not true for every team. Look at Toronto, they are giving a lot of ice time to Grabosky and reaping the benefits. Everybody knows Grabosky wouldn't have played on the habs lineup this season. Does it means that Gainey should have lost Grabo on the waivers instead of trying to trade him? That Grabo had no value because he couldn't make our lineup?

A lot of second rounders (and even more third, fourth, etc. rounders) will never make it as far as Latendresse - that's a statistical fact. Some will never even be signed on the pro level. For a mediocre team looking for some interesting deal, it makes a lot of sense to give, say, a third or fourth round pick for Latendresse knowing that the kid as already two NHL season under his belt, and still could develop into a power forward, and that it is doubtful this 3th or 4th round pick would ever lead to a player with as much potential anyway (something they would not know years after the fact, while Lats is a known commodity).

Old
12-09-2008, 02:22 PM
Maxpac

I just read a very interesting article from eric engels on hockeybuzz that Latendresse CAN be sent to Hamilton, however he can be claimed on re-entry. If by december
18th D'Agostini is still playing really good i see no problem sending Latendresse to Hamilton with 1st line minutes and and send him back up after the trade deadline.

Old
12-09-2008, 03:33 PM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

Just send him down for a conditioning stint 14 days later call him back up

Old
12-09-2008, 03:58 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
I just read a very interesting article from eric engels on hockeybuzz that Latendresse CAN be sent to Hamilton, however he can be claimed on re-entry. If by december
18th D'Agostini is still playing really good i see no problem sending Latendresse to Hamilton with 1st line minutes and and send him back up after the trade deadline.
This is incorrect, we had a thread about all this crap already.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote