HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Briere out of shape?(Edit out 4-5 weeks, post #16)

Old
12-04-2008, 12:20 PM
HoverCarle*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Other than Richards, Carter and Coburn, in my opinion, no one is "untouchable"

What would be a good enough package for him though??? Lets pretend he didnt have a no movement clause, where would you trade him and what would you ask for??

Not being a *******, I am curious....and since so many ridicuolous trade scenarios are posted lets have our own hypothetical trade discussion
I love trade proposals. I posted earlier that something like this:

Gaustad + Enroth + Picks for Briere. We get a 3rd line C and a top Goalie Prospect, while shedding 4 mil. We can then keep Jones and Carle.

Gagne-Richards-Knuble
Hartnell-Carter-Lupul
Nodl-Gaustad-Upshall

Timonen-Coburn
Carle-Vaananen
Jones-Parent/Sbisa

and How could Briere be called a leech when he lead Buffalo in points?

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 02:34 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
I love trade proposals. I posted earlier that something like this:

Gaustad + Enroth + Picks for Briere. We get a 3rd line C and a top Goalie Prospect, while shedding 4 mil. We can then keep Jones and Carle.

Gagne-Richards-Knuble
Hartnell-Carter-Lupul
Nodl-Gaustad-Upshall

Timonen-Coburn
Carle-Vaananen
Jones-Parent/Sbisa

and How could Briere be called a leech when he lead Buffalo in points?
stole those points from people who deserved them more

i'm also among those that dislikes briere, but i appreciate that he can contribute to this team. richards/carter wouldn't be where they are without briere, imo. now that they're on the way up, briere is kind of redundant. i'd do that buffalo deal in a heartbeat, but i don't see danny waiving his nmc for the team that snubbed him.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 04:03 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Richards played with Umberger and Lupul for a good chunk and then with Downie and Hartnell for a good chunk. All guys that complement his style of play. Briere was playing mostly with Knuble on the RW and they tried just about every other winger on the team with him on the left, other than Upshall and Lupul. None of those guys fit his style of play at all, other than Gagne who has worked very well with when together and healthy.

If Briere is a leech than so were LeClair and Renberg, both good players in their own right that were much much better playing with Eric Lindros.
It's pretty sad that people are basically arguing Briere sucks unless he's paired with Gagne. That's not a good argument. They haven't even spent that much time together to know if they just had a good start or if they really have chemistry.

Briere's here for another 6+ years, he better learn how to play with somebody besides Gagne.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 05:06 PM
Hess14

Danny Briere, Randy Jones, Prospect, Draft Pick for Marc Savard and Tuukka Rask. Now that be nice.

Hess14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Heske_44

Quote:
Most of us know that. I was the one that started the "hypothetical" trade discussion since people were bad mouthing him. My goal was to have some moron propose a ridiculous trade so that we could rip into him

I must say I see you have posted a ton in this thread but if I am ever going to read anything you write you have to change that avatar....

Heske_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 05:24 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
I am sick and tired of how quickly people jump on and off the bandwagon on these boards.....GO AWAY!!!
Mike, I loved your entire post, but this says it all. I vividly remember, you, myself and very few others sticking up for Briere all season last year, but then, during the playoffs, he becomes everyone's "favorite." I can't stand that bandwagon jumping crap. I was also one of the very few who wanted Briere here from the previous season. Everyone seems to forget how crummy our PP was in that year from heck, and how great it was last year. People are delusional if they think Danny wasn't a BIG part of that. Without that PP last year, we do not make the playoffs.

Quote:
Well said, I agree. For the record, I dont necessarily like the length of his deal either, but I was and am fine with a 6.5 cap hit for someone of his caliber
I truly understand people's concern about the length of his contract, but without all those years, he doesn't sign here. And for the record, we don't beat Montreal in the playoffs if they're the ones that have Danny on their team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heske_44 View Post
I must say I see you have posted a ton in this thread but if I am ever going to read anything you write you have to change that avatar....
I currently feel the same way about Kambo.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 05:31 PM
Synthetic

Send a message via AIM to Synthetic Send a message via MSN to Synthetic
As long as everyone (and this is me just saying this in general - not toward anyone in particular) says Briere underperforms when he scores 30 some-odd goals last year and then dominates the playoff scoring for us (outside of the Umberger pulling a Claude Lemieux, of course) I'm fine with what that entails.

I don't see why people hate him so much. So he gets payed too much. Who actually gets payed about what they're worth besides young, cheap, non UFA-age players? Every UFA is pretty much overpayed the year they sign.

He performs very well for this team. He does his job. We didn't pay him to play defense or to backcheck or anything like that. If he never played defense before, why would he do it now? We payed him to help our scoring. He did that and does that. People might be mad because he takes up a big amount of the cap that we could maybe use better or that we aren't doing too bad with him out of the lineup. Name another UFA that offseason that we could have better spent the money on for the amount of production? Name a reason why we wouldn't want to add his 30+ goals and 68 points to our already dangerous team?

Don't blame Briere for underperforming. Blame the market or Homer for overpaying. You can't get mad at Danny for accepting the offer that was given to him, especially when he put up a year pretty close to his career averages. His goals are right around what he tends to score, around 30. His assists were off a bit from his crazy 90-point career year. So what. We can't expect that immediately, especially with Gags going out early last year and all the people we tried line switching him with last year. No way he gets 90 points jumping around his linemates from line to line like he did last year. Had he not gotten hurt this year, he was on pace for a very good year.

The simple fact is, with this team, we don't need him to have 90 point season to be successful. Our team has more than enough scoring. We are still a damn scary team when healthy with him there to add to it.

We need him to perform well when it matters most, the playoffs, and I believe he did that last year (and has done so over his career enough for us to be reasonably assured he will contribute during them).

Please, please stop with the hating on Briere for no justifiable reason.

Sorry, just felt a need to get that off my chest.

Go Flyers!

Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 08:54 PM
Claude28Giroux
praiseG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Dank View Post
Briere has been a disappointment.

HUGE.
Yea in when he lead the playoffs in goals. Just huge disappointment.

Claude28Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 12:57 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heske_44 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
Mike, I loved your entire post, but this says it all. I vividly remember, you, myself and very few others sticking up for Briere all season last year, but then, during the playoffs, he becomes everyone's "favorite." I can't stand that bandwagon jumping crap. I was also one of the very few who wanted Briere here from the previous season. Everyone seems to forget how crummy our PP was in that year from heck, and how great it was last year. People are delusional if they think Danny wasn't a BIG part of that. Without that PP last year, we do not make the playoffs.

I truly understand people's concern about the length of his contract, but without all those years, he doesn't sign here. And for the record, we don't beat Montreal in the playoffs if they're the ones that have Danny on their team.

Yeah, as you know, I didnt originally want him, but he won me over last year. And seeing as how Gomez hasnt been any better, I think we made the right choice.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 07:40 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:

Yeah, as you know, I didnt originally want him, but he won me over last year. And seeing as how Gomez hasnt been any better, I think we made the right choice.
I was just reading the Rangers board on a different web-site and they are none to pleased with Gomez these days. There has never been a doubt in my mind that Briere was the right player for what this team needed.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 07:59 PM
sg12lw

i love when i see "we dont need briere on this team, we have richie and carter"

well what happens when carter suddenly isnt the hottest player in the league anymore, or when richards hits a slump, and suddenly we cant score a goal?? wouldnt you rather have briere than metropolit?? i would

Prediction: briere will come back, score a couple gw goals and this thread will drop down off the main page..... until he goes into a little slump and then we will hear the trade proposals again and the "i never wanted briere"comments...then he will dominate the playoffs and this thread will once again disappear....until the summer when all the gms on hfboards are rearranging the roster to make room for all the "superstars" that are coming in next year....like giroux this year right??

all of the fickle fans on this board really irritate me....like someone said, there was nobody saying trade danny when he lead the playoffs in goals.where were the briere haters then??probably celebrating the wins that he lead us too.

when we signed him i will admit that i wanted either gomez or drury over him, but briere was right choice last year, this year, and the next 6 years.

by the way gomez and drury are shi*ting the bed in new york this year, for those of you who still want one of them

sg12lw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 12:30 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Gambini View Post

well what happens when carter suddenly isnt the hottest player in the league anymore, or when richards hits a slump, and suddenly we cant score a goal?? wouldnt you rather have briere than metropolit?? i would

Prediction: briere will come back, score a couple gw goals and this thread will drop down off the main page..... until he goes into a little slump and then we will hear the trade proposals again and the "i never wanted briere"comments...then he will dominate the playoffs and this thread will once again disappear....until the summer when all the gms on hfboards are rearranging the roster to make room for all the "superstars" that are coming in next year....like giroux this year right??

all of the fickle fans on this board really irritate me....like someone said, there was nobody saying trade danny when he lead the playoffs in goals.where were the briere haters then??probably celebrating the wins that he lead us too.

when we signed him i will admit that i wanted either gomez or drury over him, but briere was right choice last year, this year, and the next 6 years.

by the way gomez and drury are shi*ting the bed in new york this year, for those of you who still want one of them
Great post

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 12:47 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
As much as I am interested in trading briere sometimes, Id still rather him than drury or gomez

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 12:49 PM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:

What you said.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 01:53 PM
fandangler*

You should be so lucky to have great talent like you do

Although I must say, he needs to get healthy and get back to having a great season this year!

fandangler* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 02:35 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:

Quality post.

It's kind of funny because I made pretty much the exact same thread in March of this year, predicted the exact same thing, and it happened exactly that way.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 11:03 PM
panayiotis

old ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmi842* View Post
Whats up with dany and all these injuries? I think hes not in great shape, especially with a 52 million dollar contract in the bank, there isnt lots to motivate you to train harder. In buffalo, he was like much faster, and more intense.
Homer has made some bad signings. Briere-Upshall-Lupul. 16 million a year on the cap.

panayiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 11:17 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by panayiotis View Post
Homer has made some bad signings. Briere-Upshall-Lupul. 16 million a year on the cap.
Upshall's a bad signing on the cap? Are you high?

Old
12-09-2008, 11:27 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
You mean Hartnell instead of Upshall?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 11:27 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
what is he, like 1.5M and expiring?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 11:35 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
what is he, like 1.5M and expiring?
$1.225M and expiring - and arbitration eligible.

Old
12-09-2008, 11:51 PM
Viller

Quote:
Briere and Hartnell are not bad signings. Market value on free agents, nothing they could do. The Flyers would not be where they are at this point without those 2 and last year would have never happenned.

Lupul might be a mistake, but it might also work in their favor. Small market teams like those kind of contracts because he'll be around for another 4 years at least... 4.5mil for a young 25 goal scorer is not that bad of a deal if he continues to get better and he might do better elsewhere with the extra ice time and less pressure.

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 11:55 PM
panayiotis

shhz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
sorry scottie .. Hartnell

Old
12-09-2008, 11:56 PM
panayiotis

too long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viller View Post
Briere and Hartnell are not bad signings. Market value on free agents, nothing they could do. The Flyers would not be where they are at this point without those 2 and last year would have never happenned.

Lupul might be a mistake, but it might also work in their favor. Small market teams like those kind of contracts because he'll be around for another 4 years at least... 4.5mil for a young 25 goal scorer is not that bad of a deal if he continues to get better and he might do better elsewhere with the extra ice time and less pressure.
long guarnteed deals with no movement ....urrrrrrrrrrrrThese are not core players.

Old
12-10-2008, 03:14 PM
Heske_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post

The same goes for Kambo as for mikedifr but for the reverse reason.

After seeing the best and worst avatars within two posts of each other my body is quite confused and slightly irritated.

I think this thread was about Briere...I watched him quite a bit in Buffalo and he was awesome. Always creating. I think his work ethic has dwindled slightly after watching a couple Flyers games or he has lost his confidence.

Either way he does look a little chubbier but doesn't surprise me...his wife isn't exactly on the cover of Women's health by any stretch.

Heske_44 is offline   Reply With Quote