HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penaltypalooza: 12/9/08: Nasvhille vs. Vancouver

Old
12-09-2008, 11:00 PM
Paincakes

vCash: 500
Tell me about it. Anyone have a youtube of the Arnott fight?

Paincakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myshkin View Post
Nashville needs to learn how to work a pp, that was a great opportunity in the third and they did nothing.
We've been saying the same thing for three years now.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
fielding

Quote:
Originally Posted by elriz View Post
Great game guys, you obviously got the worse side of the calls but worked hard throughout the game. Next game will be a killer.
You got that right for sure. Definitely circling that one on the calendar.

fielding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 11:12 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Nashville needs to learn how to work a pp, that was a great opportunity in the third and they did nothing.
AMEN! We have been saying this ever since Steven Sullivan got hurt 3 years ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elriz View Post
Great game guys, you obviously got the worse side of the calls but worked hard throughout the game. Next game will be a killer.
Meh, refs didnt give the game away... We had our chances (see the late PP) and we didnt convert.

I was hoping to see Hordi and Belak get into. THAT would have been fun

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 11:19 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Glad I went to that game ... Our Captain finally showed the **** up ... I really wonder if the refs were paid in Canadian greenbacks tonight ... they were god awful ...

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 11:43 PM
Canucks5551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer View Post
Glad I went to that game ... Our Captain finally showed the **** up ... I really wonder if the refs were paid in Canadian greenbacks tonight ... they were god awful ...
Oh come on! The refs were terrible both ways. Giving Kesler a major for Weber turning his back was a joke.

Canucks5551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 12:06 AM
VanEric

I think the refs were just bad at math. O'Brien should have received a 5 minute instead of a 10 so it would have canceled out the other 5 and Vancouver would have only had a 2 minute PP instead of 7 minutes.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 12:13 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucks5551 View Post
Oh come on! The refs were terrible both ways. Giving Kesler a major for Weber turning his back was a joke.
That was a pretty obvious boarding, though the refs were somewhat to blame in *yet again* calling icing, and then changing their mind. The arm was up at first...which Weber saw, and so he held up when he got to the puck. What he DIDN"T know is that the ref then called it NO icing, and Kesler DID see that, and put the hit on.

The reffing was bad, and it was about 80 percent against the Predators. The only BAD call I saw on the Canucks was the phantom roughing on Burrows in the first period. The Canucks were headhunting out there tonight...you had two leaping hits:

-Burrows on Dumont

end result: SEVEN MINUTE(!) power play for the Canucks

-Davison(6'3) on Nichol(5'9) this one in particular killed me, given that Davison, despite his size advantage, leaped into Nichol with both elbows up. What happens? Power play canucks.

-Kesler on Weber

end result: Kesler gets a five minute boarding...but Weber gets a 4 minute double minor for roughing. Shortly after was the Pihlstrom penalty that lead to the eventual game winning goal.

There was some good stuff in this game...the building was ON FIRE throughout the seven minute PK, really think the crowd played a hand in that...and we really had the chances to have won this game. The markedly BAD, aside from the reffing-- those two power plays in the third, down a goal. We didn't get anything resembling a shot, let alone a scoring chance. The Canucks played it perfectly--stood us up at the blue line, used the size in their PK units to grind us out after forcing the chip in, and clearing it out. In addition, they were very aggressive on the kill...which is going to end badly for most of our forwards.

Frustrating game, all in all, but at least it was a pretty fun one to attend.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 12:29 AM
Canucks5551

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
That was a pretty obvious boarding, though the refs were somewhat to blame in *yet again* calling icing, and then changing their mind. The arm was up at first...which Weber saw, and so he held up when he got to the puck. What he DIDN"T know is that the ref then called it NO icing, and Kesler DID see that, and put the hit on.

The reffing was bad, and it was about 80 percent against the Predators. The only BAD call I saw on the Canucks was the phantom roughing on Burrows in the first period. The Canucks were headhunting out there tonight...you had two leaping hits:

-Burrows on Dumont

end result: SEVEN MINUTE(!) power play for the Canucks

-Davison(6'3) on Nichol(5'9) this one in particular killed me, given that Davison, despite his size advantage, leaped into Nichol with both elbows up. What happens? Power play canucks.

-Kesler on Weber

end result: Kesler gets a five minute boarding...but Weber gets a 4 minute double minor for roughing. Shortly after was the Pihlstrom penalty that lead to the eventual game winning goal.

There was some good stuff in this game...the building was ON FIRE throughout the seven minute PK, really think the crowd played a hand in that...and we really had the chances to have won this game. The markedly BAD, aside from the reffing-- those two power plays in the third, down a goal. We didn't get anything resembling a shot, let alone a scoring chance. The Canucks played it perfectly--stood us up at the blue line, used the size in their PK units to grind us out after forcing the chip in, and clearing it out. In addition, they were very aggressive on the kill...which is going to end badly for most of our forwards.

Frustrating game, all in all, but at least it was a pretty fun one to attend.
Since when do refs make icing calls? I agree that Kesler's hit was boarding, but to make it a five minute major was ridiculous. If you are going to give the major, why was Weber not given five for fighting and two for instigating? Would taking your gloves off and punching someone not count as fighting?

If you think there was anything wrong with the Davison hit I think you need your eyes checked. That hit was unquestionably clean. Davison left his feet only after the hit was made (as is often the case).

Agreed on the Burrows hit, that definitely warranted a penalty.

Also, I didn't like only Kesler going off for diving in the first. A Pred (forget who) had a blatant hold on him for a good couple seconds before Kesler dove. The refs almost always take both players off in that instance, and they should have here.

Canucks5551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 12:48 AM
Edonator
The Mightiest Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by fielding View Post
You got that right for sure. Definitely circling that one on the calendar.
Vancouver had this game circled because of what went down last season. I would expect a similar effort from Vancouver again.

Some of the calls were a little odd. Kesler shouldn't have gotten a major while Burrows should've definitely been penalized for his hit. I thought that Davison's hit was fair. There wasn't a clear elbow or anything else that is considered dirty.

I'm surprised that neither goon got involved in this game.

Edonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 03:40 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Wow, way to completely ignore head shots but make sure to call all the hooking you can.

-Pihlstrom got crosschecked in the back of the head 3 times by a Canuck (#8 I think), right in front of the ref, then we go down the other end and Erat gets a hooking call. It was a hook, but how do they let crosschecks to the head go?

-No call at all for Burrows. He should have been out of the game and wouldn't have been on the ice at all to score the ENG. Dirty ass play, he jumped into Dumont with elbows up.

I'm glad Arnott and our guys finally had enough and started sticking up for each other and themselves.

Beautiful kill of the 7 minute PP. The crowd had another standing O during the TV timeout for that effort! (sometimes I think the people running the tron/music/etc don't pay attention to what's going on during the game and how the crowd is reacting and they just ruin what the crowd is doing on their own- like during this standing ovation, they tried to do the season ticket holder and fan of the game junk.)

I thought the Davison hit was dirty at first. But then the replays you can see his shoulder hit Nichol in the head. My only complaint about this is that with such a mismatch in size, Davison really had to go out of his way to lower himself to hit Nichol in the face with his shoulder. He came across the ice, maybe a little bit of a charge, and had to almost double over for his shoulder to hit Nichol's head.

I'm getting a little tired of Erat. 12 games with no goals. Legwand gets railed for everything he does or doesnt' do, but barely anyone has mentioned Erat's drought.

Klein had a couple of bad giveaways.

Ellis played well. Some good saves on the 7min pk.

Quote:
Hi, our PP hasn't worked since, like, ever. No I take that back, it worked about 3 seasons ago when we had Sullivan and kariya making cross-crease passes that no goalie/defense could stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburton86 View Post
**** whoever picked this game to not be on tv.
Blame Versus and the whole "exclusive window" rule. Basically, when VS has an "exclusive" game, no other US team can show a game at all while VS is on. So since VS game was from 6-8:30 and our game was at 7, we couldn't be shown. But since LA/COL started after the window, they could be shown. Stupid, isn't it?

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 03:40 AM
DL44

vCash: 139
A couple things.. The Kesler hit could be a gm suspension... but i don't think the ref had anything to do with it... I don't even think the puck was ever going cross the endline, so if Weber held up because of a potential icing call, that's on him.. not the refs who have no choice but to waive off icing if the puck doesn't make across the line.
Having said that.... despite Weber being low and bent over, Kesler's forearm looked to be placed at shoulder/neck level... it could lead to a suspension for a continuing the hit on a vulnerable player..

The Burrows hit - when slowed down frame-by-frame, it appears Burrows was on the ice at the time of initial contact... Clean hit.
it was the momentum of the hit and situation that made him airborne, which is allowed.

Anyways, entertaining, tough, physical game... There's definitely going to be a lot of emotion for the next 3 gms...

Hordichuk did a lot of talking on the ice... guaranteed to go next time they mach up...

DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 04:33 AM
booju

Great, physical game to watch. Was close and entertaining till the end. Lots of highlight reels worth watching over and over again.

booju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 04:50 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Also, I'm so sick of Van. fans talking about how the Preds always injure their players so this was some sort of payback, sarcastically or not. It was ONE time that Bieksa got injured, and on a freak play. His own teammate injured him the last time so quit blaming everyone else!

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 07:56 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Burrows clearly leaves his feet before the hit. Then he turtles when he has to answer for it and O'Brien thinks he needs to take up for him. Why, is Burrows not man enough to answer his own call? Tootoo fights his own battles, why can't Burrows?

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 07:58 AM
John Belushi

Quote:
Originally Posted by spank303 View Post
Also, I'm so sick of Van. fans talking about how the Preds always injure their players so this was some sort of payback, sarcastically or not. It was ONE time that Bieksa got injured, and on a freak play. His own teammate injured him the last time so quit blaming everyone else!
Jordin Tootoo injured Aaron Miller with a very suspect hit last year as well.

John Belushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 08:27 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

The Burrows hit looked completely dirty to me. He freaking closelines Dumont with his elbows. Who cares about the feet (although it is absolutely clear that he jumps into the hit)! I do think he deserves a suspension because he deliberately throws his elbow into Dumont's head. If the elbow doesn't come up, I say its charging and a vicious hit. The elbow up was a clear shine he was trying to take Dumont out, and he deserves a suspension for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0sauC3H6zk

12-10-2008, 08:38 AM
RollingPredFan

If Tootoo makes any of these hits he would be tossed from the game and suspended. When Arnott retaliates you know its bad, lol... We got 1 MINUTE of PP after all those dirty hits, unbelievable.

I am glad they all stood up for one another I don't care about the score.

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 10:29 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Couple of points: I found it really ironic how the Vancouver announcers went out of their way to comment on how difficult a comeback would be because of the 'defensive' scheme the Preds play. Hello, pot? And they never seemed to acknowledge a canuck could have been at fault in any situation.

Also, is Freeman and the ownership group getting the shaft on the ice due to the fine balance the franchise is in, trying to drive attendance to solidify the fanbase while the Boots drama continues to play out? How else can you explain the AWFUL officiating they are subject to the last two games? Was it the same crew as in STL? I forgot to check. If I am DP I am on the phone to Walkum (?SP) today about the last two games.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 11:25 AM
DManPreds11

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Peverley got into a fight with Jaffray?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fielding View Post
Believe it or not, it was actually a great scrap.
I thought it was hilarious that both had visors and was trying to punch each other in the face

DManPreds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 11:58 AM
cjerina

Quote:
Originally Posted by DManPreds11 View Post
I thought it was hilarious that both had visors and was trying to punch each other in the face
Youtube of this anywhere?

cjerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 12:03 PM
SaucyNavel
GinoGinoGino

yea interesting game last night ......nuck fan, but i come in peace..

Burrow's hit was dirty plain and simple....this little **** pisses me off......turning into another Matt Cooke...

starting to really like the emotion in these games....see u next time !

SaucyNavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Bad Karma

Quote:
Blame Versus and the whole "exclusive window" rule. Basically, when VS has an "exclusive" game, no other US team can show a game at all while VS is on. So since VS game was from 6-8:30 and our game was at 7, we couldn't be shown. But since LA/COL started after the window, they could be shown. Stupid, isn't it?
Yet Versus showed a game Monday and we were on TV.

Bad Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 01:10 PM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 9000
Missing Offense Report

If anyone has seen Preds offense, please send him to 501 Broadway, he is lost and probably very scared and alone. Cash reward will be offered.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Paincakes

Hockeybuzz.com is now officially the most retarded website in existence

Paincakes is offline   Reply With Quote