HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RDS (1Hour english segment a week)

View Poll Results: Should RDS offer a weekly segment on the habs in english?
yes 27 32.53%
no 56 67.47%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2008, 09:54 AM
dutchy29

vCash: 500
RDS (1Hour english segment a week)

Some honest thought out feedback please.

Considering that this Quebec based team probably has more english speaking fans than french, I feel it would be considerate for RDS to provide maybe one english segment, covering the Habs each week so that english viewers could benefit from player interviews, coach interviews, and analyst. I don't think it would be that difficult and it would make thousands of fans happy, including many english speaking fans that live in Montreal. Keeping the whole French-English debate out of your response, would this not make good marketing sense? As a courtesy to the fan base.

Old
12-10-2008, 09:56 AM
davenash

This will not end well.

And the answer is no.

Old
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchy29 View Post

Considering that this Quebec based team probably has more english speaking fans than french, I feel it would be considerate for RDS to provide maybe one english segment, covering the Habs each week so that english viewers could benefit from player interviews, coach interviews, and analyst. I don't think it would be that difficult and it would make thousands of fans happy, including many english speaking fans that live in Montreal. Keeping the whole French-English debate out of your response, would this not make good marketing sense? As a courtesy to the fan base.
I HIGHLY doubt that.

Old
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

I answered YES... but it would never happen. The Quebec communications board would never let it happen as it is a French channel.

Also, I'm not sure about the whole "there are more English Habs fans than French"... maybe in Montreal, but in the province, I highly doubt it.

Old
12-10-2008, 09:58 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Personally I think it's a great idea. I know for sure I would tune in to check it out.

Old
12-10-2008, 09:59 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
I HIGHLY doubt that.
You'd be surprised how many English speaking Habs fans there are spread out through out Canada and the US.

Old
12-10-2008, 10:01 AM
MoonlightGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchy29 View Post

What?? If the Habs had more anglo fans than franco fans, don't you think RDS would be an english speaking station, seeing as english would then be the dominant market? The Canadiens are pretty much the only thing RDS actually broadcasts seriously. If the Habs weren't there, RDS wouldn't exist.

And by the way, I don't think RDS would be allowed to do this. I'm pretty sure the CRTC forces channels to broadcast in one language only.

Old
HotPie

No, it's a french network. Do you ever have french segments on english networks?

Old
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

RDS is a French TV station and is listed as that with the CRTC. It will never happen.

Old
12-10-2008, 10:03 AM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I answered YES... but it would never happen. The Quebec communications board would never let it happen as it is a French channel.

Also, I'm not sure about the whole "there are more English Habs fans than French"... maybe in Montreal, but in the province, I highly doubt it.
Well they're called the Montreal Canadiens, not the Quebec Canadiens.

Anyways, I wouldn't want an anglo Habs show associated with RDS' poor production value. TSN should have a half hour show on the Habs every week.

Old
12-10-2008, 10:04 AM
Dripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
RDS is a French TV station and is listed as that with the CRTC. It will never happen.
And this is prolly why there will never be a HabsTV, because it could not broadcast both in English and French, hence they would need two feeds, and it would cost too much.

Old
12-10-2008, 10:05 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
No, it's a french network. Do you ever have french segments on english networks?
True, but how many other teams have fan bases consisting of both French and English?

Personally I think it's a great idea, since RDS can be seen through out North America. But like others have mentioned, they are a registered French TV station. So the chances of it happening are very close to nil.

Old
12-10-2008, 10:06 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1 View Post
What?? If the Habs had more anglo fans than franco fans, don't you think RDS would be an english speaking station, seeing as english would then be the dominant market? The Canadiens are pretty much the only thing RDS actually broadcasts seriously. If the Habs weren't there, RDS wouldn't exist.

And by the way, I don't think RDS would be allowed to do this. I'm pretty sure the CRTC forces channels to broadcast in one language only.
Have you ever been outside of Montreal? There are habs fans EVERYWHERE across Canada, and many in the US. All you have to do is watch our away games and you'll realize this..

Old
12-10-2008, 10:08 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post

Anyways, I wouldn't want an anglo Habs show associated with RDS' poor production value. TSN should have a half hour show on the Habs every week.

The name has nothing to do with it. Most Habs fans are from the province of Quebec, which is predominantly French. Get a clue.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 12-10-2008 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Keep the personal stuff out.
Old
12-10-2008, 10:09 AM
Kebekoi

Quote:

Ahem, the Quebec is not Quebec City.

In regards to the subject, it'll never work (CRTC).

Old
12-10-2008, 10:09 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
How surprising that such a stupid statement comes from you. We all know you aren't the brightest bulb in the bunch, but you don't need to constantly have to prove that fact.

The name has nothing to do with it. Most Habs fans are from the province of Quebec, which is predominantly French. Get a clue.
I disagree, you couldn't be more off base with this statement Oz.

Old
12-10-2008, 10:10 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
This is exactly what should happen.

Old
limelight

Instead of having a one hour segment on RDS tv, how about a one hour segment on rds.ca.

They managed to translate the order form for Zone du Match: http://www.rds.ca/zonedematch/index_en.html

I think a one hour segment on their website could be possible.

Old
HotPie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
True, but how many other teams have fan bases consisting of both French and English?

Personally I think it's a great idea, since RDS can be seen through out North America. But like others have mentioned, they are a registered French TV station. So the chances of it happening are very close to nil.
Again, I think it's still pretty irrelevant. I don't see why a french network should make an exception because there's a decent amount of english Habs fans. RDS target audience is french quebecers.

Not to mention the political fiasco this would cause in Quebec. And if you start doing that for RDS, where do you start drawing the line? Do English networks start doing french segments?

Either way, this is never going to happen.

Old
12-10-2008, 10:12 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1 View Post

Nahh that isn't true. I know many channels out of Ontario that have 1 hour a week of spanish, italien, etc programming.

Can't recall which channels mind you, but I've even seen 1 hour of manderan I believe, or some sort of oriental language.

Maybe the Quebec government would be on their butt over that though.

Old
Kebekoi

There should be a show on the Canadian teams on TSN. Now that would be more fitting.

Old
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
They should make an alternate audio feed, i don't know if it's possible tho.

The Sens should have a 1 hour segment in french too...even if most of them are back on the Habs wagon.

Old
12-10-2008, 10:13 AM
BigTimer*

Quote:
How surprising that such a stupid statement comes from you. We all know you aren't the brightest bulb in the bunch, but you don't need to constantly have to prove that fact.

A Montreal Canadiens fan from/living in Montreal is a more of a fan than a Montreal Canadiens fan living elsewhere. Sorry but that's just the way it goes.

Old
12-10-2008, 10:14 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
Again, I think it's still pretty irrelevant. I don't see why a french network should make an exception because there's a decent amount of english Habs fans. RDS target audience is french quebecers.

Not to mention the political fiasco this would cause in Quebec. And if you start doing that for RDS, where do you start drawing the line? Do English networks start doing french segments?

Either way, this is never going to happen.
We're on the same page HP. Just because I personally think it would be a good idea. Doesn't mean I believe it will happen.

The reason I think it would be a good idea is for selfish reasons. I love watching/reading/listening to any information I can about the Habs. Adding another English speaking program about the Habs would be great IMO, since I'm much better in English than I am in French.

Old
12-10-2008, 10:14 AM
MoonlightGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Have you ever been outside of Montreal? There are habs fans EVERYWHERE across Canada, and many in the US. All you have to do is watch our away games and you'll realize this..
I have been outside of Montreal and I watch all our games, thanks for asking, and I'm definitely aware the Habs have a lot of fans we have around the continent. However, since they're the only team in Quebec, I just don't think there are as many anglo fans as there are franco fans.

There might be enough Hab fans in the Buffalo area to fill a third of the stands four times a year, but Quebec is 80% french speaking and pretty much everyone here is a Canadiens fan.

My point still stands. If the Canadiens had more anglophone fans than francophone fans, the main broadcaster of the Canadiens would be an english TV station, because that would be the market for the Montreal Canadiens. Money talks...

Closed Thread