HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

RDS (1Hour english segment a week)

View Poll Results: Should RDS offer a weekly segment on the habs in english?
yes 27 32.53%
no 56 67.47%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2008, 10:14 AM
Le Tricolore
Franchise Players

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
I don't think so.

RDS is a French based sports station. Should TSN have French segments once a week? The answer there is also no.

Old
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
I'd settle for English closed captioning on some of the shows.

Habinger

Let's say we meet halfway and they do English subtitles?

Old
12-10-2008, 10:15 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I disagree, you couldn't be more off base with this statement Oz.
Really? There are many Habs fans outside the province (who are either French or English), but you are deluded if you think there more fans outside of the province than in the province. If what you are saying were true, you'd have way more Habs games on TSN, which is NOT the case.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 12-10-2008 at 11:07 AM.
Old
12-10-2008, 10:16 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Nahh that isn't true. I know many channels out of Ontario that have 1 hour a week of spanish, italien, etc programming.

Can't recall which channels mind you, but I've even seen 1 hour of manderan I believe, or some sort of oriental language.

Maybe the Quebec government would be on their butt over that though.
I think one of the channels your talking about is called Omni 1. But I'd have to look it up. It's listed as a multi-cultural station though. So I'm not sure if that makes a difference with the CRTC.

Old
12-10-2008, 10:17 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

I've actually always wondered why they don't have english play-by-play one one of the alternate audio feeds. The intermissions don't need it, but just to service a bilingual market. It certainly wouldn't cost much.

Old
Darz

Great idea...I would love it, and watch....but I doubt it would ever happen.

Great idea though.

Hell, I would watch if they gave us english subtitles.

marc1337

They cannot even hire personnel that that speaks proper english to do interviews.

I can't believe Lavoie and Gélinas, they are so bad…

Lavoie is pretty funny... yesterday he started up is interview with Kovalev with something like: ‘’Even if you are unable to score lately, your line is doing a pretty good job tonight’’

Old
12-10-2008, 10:18 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I think one of the channels your talking about is called Omni 1. But I'd have to look it up. It's listed as a multi-cultural station though. So I'm not sure if that makes a difference with the CRTC.
Omni 1 and 2 do regular Greek, Mandarin and Hindi broadcasts.

Old
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
A Montreal Canadiens fan from/living in Montreal is a more of a fan than a Montreal Canadiens fan living elsewhere. Sorry but that's just the way it goes.
Say that to H10H...

Hey H, I hope you disagree even more on that one.

BigTimer

Old
Kebekoi

Quote:
A Montreal Canadiens fan from/living in Montreal is a more of a fan than a Montreal Canadiens fan living elsewhere. Sorry but that's just the way it goes.
Post of the year... !

Old
12-10-2008, 10:19 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
Ignorance is bliss.

Old
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1 View Post
I have been outside of Montreal and I watch all our games, thanks for asking, and I'm definitely aware the Habs have a lot of fans we have around the continent. However, since they're the only team in Quebec, I just don't think there are as many anglo fans as there are franco fans.

There might be enough Hab fans in the Buffalo area to fill a third of the stands four times a year, but Quebec is 80% french speaking and pretty much everyone here is a Canadiens fan.

My point still stands. If the Canadiens had more anglophone fans than francophone fans, the main broadcaster of the Canadiens would be an english TV station, because that would be the market for the Montreal Canadiens. Money talks...
A large number of francophone hockey fans outside of Montreal and the GMA despise the Canadiens. They are ex-Nords fans who either bitterly cheer against the Habs or cheer for the Bruins instead.

Old
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Really? There are many Habs fans outside the province (who are either French or English), but you are deluded if you think there more fans outside of the province than in the province.
Ok, I'd suggest you do some traveling soon my friend. Getting outside of Quebec might do you some good.

Old
12-10-2008, 10:20 AM
BBrowser

I guess it's impossible for native english speakers to understand how imperialism works, and how it's not always intentional. I'm sure you aren't ill-intentionned, but my answer is a resounding NO.

Old
12-10-2008, 10:20 AM
Habinger

In Toronto we have tons of non English programming on Rogers. You name there's some sort of variety show from what's hot in the charts over in the middle east, the hottest Bollywood dance moves and what the Dalai Lama had for lunch. Now try to get RDS in HD.... now then you're asking for the world =\

Old
12-10-2008, 10:21 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
True, but how many other teams have fan bases consisting of both French and English?
Well, at least one other. But I'm not sure as to the type of coverage Ottawa gets in French (I lived in that craphole for 10 years, you'd think I'd know...)

Old
12-10-2008, 10:22 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Montreal travels as good or better than just about any other NHL team short of perhaps the Leafs and maybe Rangers. The number of Habs fans outside of the Montreal area is staggering, if you want to believe it or not.

However, those outside of RDS' reach don't really matter in this case. RDS does claim to be a national network though, so 1 hour of English broadcasts a week on the Habs might improve national viewership.

Old
12-10-2008, 10:22 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Ok, I'd suggest you do some traveling soon my friend. Getting outside of Quebec might do you some good.
What?? I do travel. It's not because you meet Habs fans elsewhere that it means their numbers are bigger than those in the province. How did you quantify that, really?

And I hope you did notice I know people in Swiss and France who ARE French and are Habs fans as I did mention that.

Maybe people are too tall in Quebec for you to talk to them, so you don't actually how many are French and Habs fans.

Oh and yeah, completely ignore my argument about TSN... let alone ESPN and otehr networks.

Old
12-10-2008, 10:24 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1 View Post
I have been outside of Montreal and I watch all our games, thanks for asking, and I'm definitely aware the Habs have a lot of fans we have around the continent. However, since they're the only team in Quebec, I just don't think there are as many anglo fans as there are franco fans.

There might be enough Hab fans in the Buffalo area to fill a third of the stands four times a year, but Quebec is 80% french speaking and pretty much everyone here is a Canadiens fan.

My point still stands. If the Canadiens had more anglophone fans than francophone fans, the main broadcaster of the Canadiens would be an english TV station, because that would be the market for the Montreal Canadiens. Money talks...
Your point is irrelevant. RDS is a Quebec station, and like you say most people are Francos in Quebec. There would be no need for RDS to do an english segment.

But what i am saying is out of the entire habs fanbase world wide, there are more english speaking then french speaking. So there is a demand for an english network to do habs coverage(i wouldn't expect rds to do it though, seen as how most of the homes they broadcast to are in Quebec).

Old
12-10-2008, 10:27 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
Omni 1 and 2 do regular Greek, Mandarin and Hindi broadcasts.
Thanks RS, I wasn't sure.

Old
12-10-2008, 10:29 AM
Kebekoi

Quote:
A large number of francophone hockey fans outside of Montreal and the GMA despise the Canadiens. They are ex-Nords fans who either bitterly cheer against the Habs or cheer for the Bruins instead.
And what you think of Habs-Nords fans in the "regions" who just want to cheer equally for the pro hockey teams in Quebec? Siding with the most rewarded team in history or the capital team when Montrealers are too much snob?

Old
12-10-2008, 10:30 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
I agree with Habs10, I think its a fantastic Idea that could only benefit them, and a huge chunk i'd say 60-70% of Habs fans are English speaking.

I say yes!

Old
12-10-2008, 10:32 AM
BBrowser

CBC and SRC should buy back hockey, that's the answer.

Old
12-10-2008, 10:32 AM
TheCH*

Wow i just can't believe some of the comments on here from francos. You guys seem offended at the fact that an anglo fan could love the habs just as much as you! Thats so dumb, you'd think you would be proud of that. The more die hard fans the merrier.

Closed Thread