HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RDS (1Hour english segment a week)

View Poll Results: Should RDS offer a weekly segment on the habs in english?
yes 27 32.53%
no 56 67.47%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-10-2008, 11:32 AM
  #51
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 9,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Your point is irrelevant. RDS is a Quebec station, and like you say most people are Francos in Quebec. There would be no need for RDS to do an english segment.

But what i am saying is out of the entire habs fanbase world wide, there are more english speaking then french speaking. So there is a demand for an english network to do habs coverage(i wouldn't expect rds to do it though, seen as how most of the homes they broadcast to are in Quebec).
That's actually not true. RDS claims to be a national station for the purposes of having an HD channel. They can no longer claim to be regional. Montreal-centric like TSN is Toronto-centric, sure. But not regional.

I do agree with the 2nd part though. There's definitely demand for English Habs coverage.

__________________
This content is hosted here with the objections of the poster.
coolguy21415 is offline  
Old
12-10-2008, 11:33 AM
  #52
BigTimer*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebekoi View Post
And what you think of Habs-Nords fans in the "regions" who just want to cheer equally for the pro hockey teams in Quebec? Siding with the most rewarded team in history or the capital team when Montrealers are too much snob?
I was just saying, not every Quebecer hockey fan cheers for the good guys.

RDS should keep things the way it is. Does CBC still have their Habs this week segment? Either way, TSN is slowly taking over CBC's hockey coverage and they should increase their Habs content because a day-by-day diary of Brian Burke's bowel movements is getting pathetic.

BigTimer* is offline  
Old
12-10-2008, 11:34 AM
  #53
Etienne
Registered User
 
Etienne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,843
vCash: 500
If it means 1 less hour for Le Baron or Therrien, I say HELL YES.

Etienne is offline  
Old
12-10-2008, 11:35 AM
  #54
BigTimer*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBrowser View Post
CBC and SRC should buy back hockey, that's the answer.
CBC can't even keep their own intro jingle... they'd rather fund garbage like little mosque on the prairie with your tax money.

BigTimer* is offline  
Old
12-10-2008, 11:39 AM
  #55
melies
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 19
vCash: 500
Its not the role of RDS to do that, but maybe it's TSN role. The english public as sportsnet 1-2-3-4, TSN, CBC. If you want an english segment of the Habs make your demand to them.

If theres more english fan of the habs then french. Why theres no real agreement between the habs and a english station?

By the way, just so you know it's not all Qubecers who's understand english. If you do that it's a slap in the face to them.

melies is offline  
Old
12-10-2008, 11:44 AM
  #56
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant
 
VAN-HAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Port Moody BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc1337 View Post
They cannot even hire personnel that that speaks proper english to do interviews.

I can't believe Lavoie and Gélinas, they are so bad…

Lavoie is pretty funny... yesterday he started up is interview with Kovalev with something like: ‘’Even if you are unable to score lately, your line is doing a pretty good job tonight’’
lol

i missed that...lol

VAN-HAB is offline  
Old
12-10-2008, 11:46 AM
  #57
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Your point is irrelevant. RDS is a Quebec station, and like you say most people are Francos in Quebec. There would be no need for RDS to do an english segment.

But what i am saying is out of the entire habs fanbase world wide, there are more english speaking then french speaking. So there is a demand for an english network to do habs coverage(i wouldn't expect rds to do it though, seen as how most of the homes they broadcast to are in Quebec).
How can you effectively know that for a fact?

Do you know how many Swiss French watch the Habs? Did you know they have RDS there to watch the Habs because there were so many fans? Same with France, they have many Habs fans. Saying 60-70% of worldwide fans are English is just an assumption. TV networks are greedy for profit usually, so why is it that RDS shows it in French, why is it that the Swiss and France people can watch the games, yet here in Canada there is no English Channel showing all the games, just some of the games. Maybe because the market is smaller. Why is it that when games are both in French and English, if there are so many English fans, who BTW can have easier access to TSN outside the province, why is it that RDS still has the most TV ratings?

Ozymandias is offline  
Old
12-10-2008, 11:48 AM
  #58
PKtrollban
PK for Norris
 
PKtrollban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Poutine island
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebekoi View Post
There should be a show on the Canadian teams on TSN. Now that would be more fitting.
Yeah I wonder why TSN isn't showing more Habs content, that would be the right channel to present that kind of program. RDS is for french people, that don't give a fuss about english ppl (unfortunately, outside Mtl, there isn't much bilingualism). Personaly I wouldn't mind, but the majority of RDS audience is french only, and they would lose much more than they would gain audience if they'd do that.

PKtrollban is offline  
Old
12-10-2008, 11:52 AM
  #59
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Wow i just can't believe some of the comments on here from francos. You guys seem offended at the fact that an anglo fan could love the habs just as much as you! Thats so dumb, you'd think you would be proud of that. The more die hard fans the merrier.
LOL it really shows what an ignorant and sad world we live in. I mean language doesn't make you any less or more of a fan. I'm an anglo and relatively unilingual and I watch the games in RDS, there simply is no other way to get the level of excitement that the RDS crew gives and the respect they show to our habs is like none other.

To say an anglo fan of the habs isn't as big a fan as a franco one is an absolute joke. My entire family bleeds bleu blanc et rouge and we're all anglos with car flags and jerseys and everything. We probably go to more games in a season and watch more games then the average franco family does of the same or similar financial circumstances. You don't see me calling myself a bigger fan then them cause of it though. I believe if hockey is your favourite sport and the habs are your favourite team, you're every bit as much of a hab fan as the next guy. Some of us spend countless hours a day reading up on hockey info, posting on HF, going to the habs website, talking habs with friends, watching games, going to games, all in the span of one week while others in the same week only watch the games. Does that make them any more or less of a fan? Some guys paint themselves before a game, does that make them bigger fans?

Give me a god damn break it's insulting that a guy like Big Timer can even stay on these forums and makes the dumbest comments ever. I personally believe he's just some leafs or bruins fan trying to make us all look bad and get a rise out of us and imo it's clearly working. Can we get an IP check or something? jeeze....

neofury* is offline  
Old
12-10-2008, 11:52 AM
  #60
BBrowser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 530
vCash: 500
What are the odds TSN would have a french show for Leafs fans?

BBrowser is offline  
Old
12-10-2008, 11:53 AM
  #61
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
How can you effectively know that for a fact?

Do you know how many Swiss French watch the Habs? Did you know they have RDS there to watch the Habs because there were so many fans? Same with France, they have many Habs fans. Saying 60-70% of worldwide fans are English is just an assumption. TV networks are greedy for profit usually, so why is it that RDS shows it in French, why is it that the Swiss and France people can watch the games, yet here in Canada there is no English Channel showing all the games, just some of the games. Maybe because the market is smaller. Why is it that when games are both in French and English, if there are so many English fans, who BTW can have easier access to TSN outside the province, why is it that RDS still has the most TV ratings?
I agree, it's not worth debating because the statistics don't exist and even if they did could hardly be considered accurate.

neofury* is offline  
Old
12-10-2008, 11:56 AM
  #62
PKtrollban
PK for Norris
 
PKtrollban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Poutine island
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,505
vCash: 500
I voted 'no' but I agree that the Habs needs to have more anglo-coverage, I'd be pissed to have to subscribe and watch RDS when not understanding a single word lol

PKtrollban is offline  
Old
12-10-2008, 11:56 AM
  #63
BigTimer*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBrowser View Post
What are the odds TSN would have a french show for Leafs fans?
Uhmm, the Leafs have LeafsTV... TSN has no responsibility to the Leafs but cater to them anyways in order to get ratings. That is, until actual hockey is involved.

BigTimer* is offline  
Old
12-10-2008, 11:59 AM
  #64
11Goat11
Inside her
 
11Goat11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,790
vCash: 500
I am an Anglo from Ontario with French(Acadian) and Italian heritage. Can't speak French well but understand hockey French beautifully, le tir et le but, mise au jeu, mise echec, baton eleve, etc.

I live and die for the Habs like my father, who doesn't speak French, and his father and grandfather before him who both spoke French. 3 of my best friends are die hard Habs fans of Italian heritage who can't speak a word French. The bottom line is there are tonnes of Anglo Habs fans across the country. Why the Leafs pretend to be Canada's team is ridiculous when the CBC poll every year says the Habs are the most popular team in the country.

I have RDS and can't watch shows like L'Antichambre because I just can't understand enough of the conversational French they use, wish I could though. I found this board years ago because I was starved for Habs news and you don't get enough in Ontario, and there is a high demand for it. I know The Score was looking at getting English Habs games but I don't know what happened with that.

Anyways I would welcome an hour a week on RDS with at least sub-titles, with player interviews and in depth coverage to satisfy my television Habs fix. I think the Habs are missing the boat buy not offering some English coverage outside of Quebec because there is definitely a demand.

11Goat11 is offline  
Old
12-10-2008, 12:00 PM
  #65
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant
 
VAN-HAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Port Moody BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
LOL it really shows what an ignorant and sad world we live in. I mean language doesn't make you any less or more of a fan. I'm an anglo and relatively unilingual and I watch the games in RDS, there simply is no other way to get the level of excitement that the RDS crew gives and the respect they show to our habs is like none other.

To say an anglo fan of the habs isn't as big a fan as a franco one is an absolute joke. My entire family bleeds bleu blanc et rouge and we're all anglos with car flags and jerseys and everything. We probably go to more games in a season and watch more games then the average franco family does of the same or similar financial circumstances. You don't see me calling myself a bigger fan then them cause of it though. I believe if hockey is your favourite sport and the habs are your favourite team, you're every bit as much of a hab fan as the next guy. Some of us spend countless hours a day reading up on hockey info, posting on HF, going to the habs website, talking habs with friends, watching games, going to games, all in the span of one week while others in the same week only watch the games. Does that make them any more or less of a fan? Some guys paint themselves before a game, does that make them bigger fans?

Give me a god damn break it's insulting that a guy like Big Timer can even stay on these forums and makes the dumbest comments ever. I personally believe he's just some leafs or bruins fan trying to make us all look bad and get a rise out of us and imo it's clearly working. Can we get an IP check or something? jeeze....
you are right....shame
I am neither an anglo nor a french, I am Canadian who speaks both languages and I bleed bleu blanc et rouge!

VAN-HAB is offline  
Old
12-10-2008, 12:03 PM
  #66
FC SOAP
Registered User
 
FC SOAP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 10
vCash: 500
What's the fuzz all about!?

You want to watch your Habs in english, tune in to Sportsnet East and wait for their Habs segment of the day. TSN often talks about the Habs too, even tho we all know they're Toronto's station.

If you really want to watch your Habs on RDS, well do it, and stop whinning about it. Hey, they do interviews with english players, right? You sure can understand what they're saying. And just like some other posters said, you ain't missing much. Most of all the RDS cast is BS. All they can talk about is Latendresse, and the Habs missing out on the Quebec players.

FC SOAP is offline  
Old
12-10-2008, 12:06 PM
  #67
Pr3Va1L
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 624
vCash: 500
Watch TSN.



While you're at it, you could even watch the leafs

Pr3Va1L is offline  
Old
12-10-2008, 12:08 PM
  #68
Erngueva
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United Nations
Posts: 1,396
vCash: 500
Two equations, this is simple : RDS = French, TSN = English.

It seems to me that TSN or Sportsnet, or any other english networks could offer a one hour/week coverage for the Habs if there is that much of a demand from our english speaking supporters.

RDS has enough difficulty to offer something of quality to their french viewers that you cannot ask them to offer something remotly good in english, come on.

Erngueva is offline  
Old
12-10-2008, 12:09 PM
  #69
Erik Estrada
Registered User
 
Erik Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,701
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr3Va1L View Post
Watch TSN.



While you're at it, you could even watch the leafs
Strictly considering potential viewership, a 1-hour a week news magazine on the Habs in English (out of prime time or late at night (2 AM)), could be interesting for a medium.

I think TSN would benefit from showing more Habs specific content outside of the games. IMO there's a market and no one's tapping into it. Sportsnet, TSN, CBC, RDS, The Discovery Channel, anyone???

Erik Estrada is offline  
Old
12-10-2008, 12:10 PM
  #70
Travis Moen
Registered User
 
Travis Moen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Montréal
Posts: 1,816
vCash: 500
Most absurd idea ever.

Travis Moen is offline  
Old
12-10-2008, 12:11 PM
  #71
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,716
vCash: 500
I was born and raised in Ontario, live here now for only 11ish more days before I go back. I came here to learn French. When I go back, I'm going to be relying heavily on RDS to pick up French pronunciation, so I don't need RDS to have an hour of English. Will CBC ever have an hour of French ?

I say no to this. I hope I didn't just spend like 4 months trying to learn French just to have all of Quebec forget French in 5 years. haha

Analyzer is offline  
Old
12-10-2008, 12:14 PM
  #72
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,361
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
What?? I do travel. It's not because you meet Habs fans elsewhere that it means their numbers are bigger than those in the province. How did you quantify that, really?

And I hope you did notice I know people in Swiss and France who ARE French and are Habs fans as I did mention that.

Maybe people are too tall in Quebec for you to talk to them, so you don't actually how many are French and Habs fans.

Oh and yeah, completely ignore my argument about TSN... let alone ESPN and otehr networks.
I wasn't debating if there were more English than French fans Oz. My argument is that there are more Hab fans living outside of Quebec. Pointing out that you know Swiss people, or people from France who are Hab fans, only helps support my point.

As for the TSN argument. I know a lot of Hab fans here that watch RDS instead of TSN. Not because they are French, but because they enjoy the RDS broadcast more. Hell if I get fed up with McGuire, I'll flick it over to RDS.

I think we might be debating something totally different.

Habs10Habs is offline  
Old
12-10-2008, 12:21 PM
  #73
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!
 
Rscorpio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Santiago, Chile
Country: Chile
Posts: 2,840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
True, but how many other teams have fan bases consisting of both French and English?

Personally I think it's a great idea, since RDS can be seen through out North America. But like others have mentioned, they are a registered French TV station. So the chances of it happening are very close to nil.

we could say the same with this community (HF-Montreal Board)

Rscorpio is offline  
Old
12-10-2008, 12:22 PM
  #74
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,361
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rscorpio View Post
we could say the same with this community (HF-Montreal Board)
True.

Habs10Habs is offline  
Old
12-10-2008, 12:25 PM
  #75
Erik Estrada
Registered User
 
Erik Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,701
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kostopoulos View Post
Most absurd idea ever.
I don't know the specifics of the exclusivity contract between the Habs and RDS but I would imagine that if another channel would want to explore offering some Habs content in English they would have to negotiate with RDS (they likely own those rights).

Erik Estrada is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.