HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RDS (1Hour english segment a week)

View Poll Results: Should RDS offer a weekly segment on the habs in english?
yes 27 32.53%
no 56 67.47%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2008, 12:25 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
True.
Were you a moderator 5 minutes ago?

I'm losing track around here...

Old
12-10-2008, 12:27 PM
Habitants

no.

regardless of the language they speak, everyone on RDS is a complete moron. kthxbye

Old
12-10-2008, 12:28 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
I voted no, 350/7.5
because I just don't think it's feasible for many of the reasons listed before.

Those who think the Habs have more fans in Quebec than the rest of the world are out to lunch.

Population of Canada and the US is nearly 350 million, Quebec is 7.5 million.

10% of the population in Quebec is English, 80% is French.

That leaves a differential of 70%. I'm assuming half the people in Quebec are hockey fans (I think it's a pretty generous estimate). Let's assume 80% of those are Habs fans.

That leaves you with just over 2 million more French Habs fans than English Habs fans in Quebec.

In the rest of Canada alone, there are probably nearly 2 million Habs fans.

You might not realize it, but there are a ton of Habs fans everywhere. Northern Ontario is littered with Habs fans as are Saskatchewan and Manitoba. The Toronto region has a large number of Habs fans as well (percentage-wise, maybe not, but Toronto is a huge city).

The US is also HUGE in comparison to Canada and Quebec. There may be a low percentage of hockey fans out there, but the total number of hockey fans is still very significant.

The Habs were the NHL franchise for a number of years, so many hockey fans cheered for them during those years. And although there has been expansion in recent years, people don't just change teams because there's a city nearby that has a hockey team.
Parents pass their favorite team onto their children as well.

The reason RDS is in french and not english is because it would cost too much for them to try and reach all of those Habs fans as they are not as concentrated in the rest of the world as they are in Quebec.

Old
12-10-2008, 12:29 PM
znk

Just listen to the team990...You'll get all the english habs talk you want.

Old
12-10-2008, 12:29 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

Just a point, relying on TSN and Sprotsnet for Habs news is a joke. They are mandated to include them in their coverage but the people on the job obviously don't like the Canadiens and it is quite transparant. I don't care who actually broadcasts it but a weekly Habs show in English would be greatly appreciated by their Anglo fanbase outside of Quebec.

I understand the displeasure at the RDS idea by some of the Quebec natives though.

Old
12-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Erik Estrada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitants View Post
no.

regardless of the language they speak, everyone on RDS is a complete moron. kthxbye
Don't make assumptions. Maybe the English speakers really want to get all the utterances from Le Baron in subtitles...

Old
12-10-2008, 12:32 PM
Erngueva

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
I voted no, 350/7.5

Those who think the Habs have more fans in Quebec than the rest of the world are out to lunch.

That leaves a differential of 70%. I'm assuming half the people in Quebec are hockey fans (I think it's a pretty generous estimate). Let's assume 80% of those are Habs fans.

That leaves you with just over 2 million more French Habs fans than English Habs fans in Quebec.

You might not realize it, but there are a ton of Habs fans everywhere. Northern Ontario is littered with Habs fans as are Saskatchewan and Manitoba. The Toronto region has a large number of Habs fans as well (percentage-wise, maybe not, but Toronto is a huge city).

The US is also HUGE in comparison to Canada and Quebec. There may be a low percentage of hockey fans out there, but the total number of hockey fans is still very significant.

The Habs were the NHL franchise for a number of years, so many hockey fans cheered for them during those years. And although there has been expansion in recent years, people don't just change teams because there's a city nearby that has a hockey team.

The reason RDS is in french and not english is because it would cost too much for them to try and reach all of those Habs fans as they are not as concentrated in the rest of the world as they are in Quebec.
It could be argue that, from a business standpoint, more french speaking folks buy tickets/merchendise etc. In the end, that's what matters. Not that fans from the rest of the world doesn't count, but from a business perspective they "count less".

Old
12-10-2008, 12:32 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchy29 View Post
Some honest thought out feedback please.

Considering that this Quebec based team probably has more english speaking fans than french,
Are you serious??

Old
12-10-2008, 12:34 PM
Batarnac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Well they're called the Montreal Canadiens, not the Quebec Canadiens.

Anyways, I wouldn't want an anglo Habs show associated with RDS' poor production value. TSN should have a half hour show on the Habs every week.
Yeah, that would tarnish your beautiful language, isn't it?...

Old
12-10-2008, 12:34 PM
Erngueva

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Goat11 View Post
Just a point, relying on TSN and Sprotsnet for Habs news is a joke. They are mandated to include them in their coverage but the people on the job obviously don't like the Canadiens and it is quite transparant. I don't care who actually broadcasts it but a weekly Habs show in English would be greatly appreciated by their Anglo fanbase outside of Quebec.

I understand the displeasure at the RDS idea by some of the Quebec natives though.
Then hire some folks who likes the HABS doing the one hour show ?

Old
12-10-2008, 12:36 PM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

simple make a Habs TV.(in english)

Trust me, every true Habs fan (french include) will watch it.

Old
12-10-2008, 12:37 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans View Post
Are you serious??
Don't discount the fact the Habs made a lot of fans in the 60's and 70's across North America, who then bred and spawned a legion of fans with the a single purpose, to annoy Bruins fans

Old
12-10-2008, 12:38 PM
Erik Estrada

Quote:

I didn't know this. If it's the case, they could do a much better job.

Old
12-10-2008, 12:39 PM
BBrowser

I hate hearing anti-french or anti-english comments with a passion.

Assuming that in Quebec we have laws governing french content is because we are a bunch of self-loving morons completely overlooks that 7-8 million francophones in the entire hemisphere, with 90% of them living in québec. Making Quebec TV bilingual sounds really cool, but that means francophones would have a choice between English canadian or american content, or bilingual content. Sad choice.

For most people, it has nothing to do (at least I have to hope) with anglo-phobia or not wanting to stretch out a loving hand to our loving countrymen

Old
12-10-2008, 12:42 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erngueva View Post
Then hire some folks who likes the HABS doing the one hour show ?
If only it were that easy. Look at CBC our supposed "National" broadcaster. They have Don Cherry, Mike Milbury, and PJ Stock commenting on a Habs game after it is done, real fair and unbiased opinions there.

TSN and Sportsnet are private companies and feel they are catering to their biggest market in Toronto. They turn a blind eye to the English Habs fans, even though we give them record numbers for hockey telecasts. I'll say this, the English network that jumps on the Habs bandwagon will be rewarded greatly with fan viewership.

Old
12-10-2008, 12:44 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchy29 View Post
Some honest thought out feedback please.

Considering that this Quebec based team probably has more english speaking fans than french, I feel it would be considerate for RDS to provide maybe one english segment, covering the Habs each week so that english viewers could benefit from player interviews, coach interviews, and analyst. I don't think it would be that difficult and it would make thousands of fans happy, including many english speaking fans that live in Montreal. Keeping the whole French-English debate out of your response, would this not make good marketing sense? As a courtesy to the fan base.
I don't think so, because if this was true their would probably be more coverage of the Habs on English sports channels.

Also, besides the fact that your idea would cause a political uproar and probably give a boost to the separatist cause, I think RDS is mainly viewed in the province of Quebec anyway. It is meant to cater to a the francophone population of Quebec. Most ppl living in Quebec have a basic comprehension of the French-language even if their first language is English.

Maybe you should just do yourself a favour and learn French. It's not a bad asset to have.

Old
12-10-2008, 12:48 PM
Erik Estrada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maitz View Post
If you live in Quebec you have to understand French ... So no , learn french
Most English Quebequers speak French anyways. I think the main beneficiaries would be the solid percentage of Maritimers that are Habs fans. You also still have some in Eastern Ontario (that didn't switch when the Sens showed up).

Old
12-10-2008, 12:51 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

In fairness to TSN, That's Hockey seems pretty evenly spread out throughout Canadian teams, if not the NHL. The Leafs most often lead, but the amount of content is about the same among the Canadian teams I find.

12-10-2008, 12:52 PM
BBrowser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I hope you're joking. You do know at least half of Montreal speaks english right?
I agree his comment was a little hard-edged, but if I lived in Mexico I would quickly learn Spanish... To me, it's a really obvious show of respect. And if Mexicains were 7 million living in Anglophone North america; It would be flat out disrespectful for us to start massively move there and not learn their language... Hard for me to inderstand when and where that gets misunderstood in Canada.

Old
12-10-2008, 12:54 PM
Erngueva

Quote:
I'll say this, the English network that jumps on the Habs bandwagon will be rewarded greatly with fan viewership.
That pretty much my understanding too. As of now, RDS is making a lot of money with the Habs, they don't need to add cost to appeal to english fans around the world, that would be TSN business and it would not need them to add cost only to move their coverage a little bit from Toronto-centric to Montreal.

RDS target market is Quebec province and french in NB, Ontario and ROC.

Old
12-10-2008, 12:55 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
I wasn't debating if there were more English than French fans Oz. My argument is that there are more Hab fans living outside of Quebec. Pointing out that you know Swiss people, or people from France who are Hab fans, only helps support my point.

As for the TSN argument. I know a lot of Hab fans here that watch RDS instead of TSN. Not because they are French, but because they enjoy the RDS broadcast more. Hell if I get fed up with McGuire, I'll flick it over to RDS.

I think we might be debating something totally different.
Still then, how the hell can you quantify that with certainty?

Also, not everybody switches to RDS because they like the quality better. Hell, I'm both French and English and I watch it in English every chance I get and I know a lot of French dudes who do the same because they can't tolerate the morons at RDS. So that argument is useless as it goes both ways.

Old
12-10-2008, 01:00 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Still then, how the hell can you quantify that with certainty?

Also, not everybody switches to RDS because they like the quality better. Hell, I'm both French and English and I watch it in English every chance I get and I know a lot of French dudes who do the same because they can't tolerate the morons at RDS. So that argument is useless as it goes both ways.
True, but not all Hab fans watch TSN or RDS. They listen to the radio, they watch on the net. So by comparing their stats (TSN/RDS), you're still not receiving a true number.

Let's agree to disagree on this one Oz.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 12-10-2008 at 01:06 PM.
Old
12-10-2008, 01:09 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
I voted no, 350/7.5

You are forgetting about Europeen fans of the Habs, who are majorily French and they are quite more significant than what you will find in the States. They do get RDS (redistributed), they do ever since the begining of last season. If the fanbase in English was significant out of Quebec, somebody would've tried to cash in on this.

Old
12-10-2008, 01:11 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
True, but not all Hab fans watch TSN or RDS. They listen to the radio, they watch on the net. So by comparing their stats (TSN/RDS), you're still not receiving a true number.

Let's agree to disagree on this one Oz.
Same with the French, with CKAC radio, still both French stations, radio and TV, get better ratings than the English ones, while the English ones are watched/listened nationwide.

Agreed, or actually disagreed... well whatever.

Old
12-10-2008, 01:45 PM
Fozz

There's already plenty of Habs information in English that RDS doesn't need to do this. This is the information age for crying out loud... Just use the internet to get your fix!

Here's an idea, since a lot of the fans on this board are French, let's have a French section!

Closed Thread