HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eklund: EDM / NYR deal

Old
12-10-2008, 01:01 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers32185 View Post
A Ranger/Edmonton "major deal". I wonder if it's as big as last year's Jagr trade to Edmonton
Why the Sarcasm? Jagr thanked Daryl Katz and the Oilers publiclly for their offer saying it was a very good one. He wanted a longer term deal than we were offering.

He would not have mentioned the Oilers unless we were a legitmate option for him. The allure of playing with Hemsky was something he considered very seriously.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 01:04 PM
nevesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Because it's been done.

Talk about the rumor, not the source.

And if you feel they should not exist, ignore them and they don't exist.
You're quick to lock threads by other members who propose certain ideas, situations, rumors about the team and individual players.

But when the thread title has "Eklund" in it you give it full immunity just because he has a name for himself around the web for being wrong, with no facts to back up his statements 99% of the time.

I'd like to see a little consistency here, thats all.

nevesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 01:09 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZherdeV View Post
If the thread is about the a rumor from a hack source, why shouldn't people be allowed to discuss the source of the rumor?

Eklund threads shouldn't exist. It's no different than someone making a random thread here about what they think might happen.
I agree, not being able to discuss the source as part of the rumor makes no sense.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 01:14 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZherdeV View Post
You're quick to lock threads by other members who propose certain ideas, situations, rumors about the team and individual players.

But when the thread title has "Eklund" in it you give it full immunity just because he has a name for himself around the web for being wrong, with no facts to back up his statements 99% of the time.

I'd like to see a little consistency here, thats all.
The threads that are locked or closed have nothing to do with "certain ideas, situations, rumors about the team and individual players." They are locked or closed because there is existing threads where a similar topic is being discussed.

And Eklund does not get "immunity." His threads are treated the same as any trade proposal.

The source and history are well known. What's the point of discussing them? It adds nothing to the content in the board.

Any other questions I will be happy to answer via PM.

12-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
I agree, not being able to discuss the source as part of the rumor makes no sense.
"Well hey, it's Eklund" tagged on the end of a legitimate response is perfectly acceptable.

"Eklund is garbage" while contributing nothing worthwhile is not.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 01:17 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Wow. Edmonton. Hmmm, you think by any chance Alex Hemsky could be who we are after? A good young winger that fits the fast paced temp we are supposed to have. He's fast, can score and might do well with Gomez.
It would be more likely to be Prucha going to Edmonton to play with his former linemate Hemsky.

(Not that I believe anything Eklund writes.)

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 01:23 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Wow. Edmonton. Hmmm, you think by any chance Alex Hemsky could be who we are after? A good young winger that fits the fast paced temp we are supposed to have. He's fast, can score and might do well with Gomez.
Ales Hemsky would not do well with Gomez, unless the two of them figured out a way to pass the puck into the net. Those two are very similar players (speedy, pass-first playmakers) who would not compliment each other well at all in my opinion.

Back to the rumor as a whole, though. The fact that Eklund ties it to Sundin pretty much tells me that it's complete BS. The Rangers are going to have to clear cap space if they want to sign Sundin. That means that they are going to have to send salary to a team with space and get back less, if any. The last time I checked, the Rangers actually have MORE cap space than the Oilers, so how does Edmonton become a potential salary dumping target?

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 01:24 PM
asparkoflife

Oh dear. If Eklund says it...it must be true...in all honesty..Id like to see an Erik Cole. Hemsky is not gonna happen.

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 01:24 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
I really don't get why people get so bent about this guy. I like to read rumors and make up my own mind how true or untrue they are. Eklund's been wrong? WOW so has every rumor monger on the net. Guys remember the word RUMOR.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 01:25 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

I don't know how "major" the deal could be. Both teams have underachieving 2nd year players, both teams have trouble putting up numbers on the board and both teams have several high priced defensemen that are skewing their cap numbers.

Seems to me like both teams need scoring wingers, but neither has any to give. Gomez going to Edmonton makes no sense either as they already have Horcoff and Gagner, though Gagner is struggling.

They're also right against the cap and aren't in a position to take on salary which would allow us to clear space for Sundin.

Old
12-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by playstationline View Post
Oh dear. If Eklund says it...it must be true...in all honesty..Id like to see an Erik Cole. Hemsky is not gonna happen.
I like Cole don't get me wrong, but the style of game he plays gets him injured a lot.

Old
12-10-2008, 01:29 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I don't know how "major" the deal could be. Both teams have underachieving 2nd year players, both teams have trouble putting up numbers on the board and both teams have several high priced defensemen that are skewing their cap numbers.

Seems to me like both teams need scoring wingers, but neither has any to give. Gomez going to Edmonton makes no sense either as they already have Horcoff and Gagner, though Gagner is struggling.

They're also right against the cap and aren't in a position to take on salary which would allow us to clear space for Sundin.
Don't you think EDM would want some D from us? They have a lot of depth up front to trade for back end help. Rozy or Redden for a winger?

Old
12-10-2008, 01:33 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Don't you think EDM would want some D from us? They have a lot of depth up front to trade for back end help. Rozy or Redden for a winger?
Not likely considering they have 3 d-men with 4+ million dollar contracts already (Souray [5.4], Visnovsky [5.6] and Gilbert[4]). Plus, they don't really have any wingers to spare. You aren't getting Hemsky unless Hank is going the other way.

Unless it's something absurd like Gomez + Rozsival for Penner, Cole and Gilbert, then I don't see any solutions to the cap issue here.

Old
12-10-2008, 01:34 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
I don't think they would. Their D is not that bad.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 01:36 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
I want Erik Cole.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 01:44 PM
zaius

would love to get a number of players on edmonton but i don't think they are giving up any of their youth (cogliano,schremp,neilsen,gagner). I dont know if i want to overpay for penner/horcoff/etc.

zaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 01:49 PM
ThisYearsModel

I don't see a match unless the Oil want Redden. I wouldn't mind Penner back for some much-needed size up front.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 01:53 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I want Erik Cole.
Not a bad idea.

He's been struggling this year, so we might be able to get him for cheap.

The only problem is his salary. 4 million is a bit much.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 01:55 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Not a bad idea.

He's been struggling this year, so we might be able to get him for cheap.

The only problem is his salary. 4 million is a bit much.
Cole makes sense. FA at the end of the season I believe.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 02:06 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I want Erik Cole.
gotta believe hed love to be back east, hes from oswego ny about 30 miles north of syr and played at clarkson for 2 years so im sure playing for the rangers would be cool.

having said that, the edm board seems to be in agreement that hes in a major scoring slump and has lost confidence and the consensus is they want him gone.

sounds like a perfect fit for the renny "system".

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 02:09 PM
Richter35

Horcoff's extension kicks in next year where he'll be making 5.5, he's at 3.6 for this year so possibly

gomez, prucha, fritsche (9.8MM)

for

horcoff, staios schremp (7.2MM)

(edmonton is squeeking under the cap here im not 100% sure)

waive kalinin - 2.1MM
cap savings - 4.7MM

we have 700k free or so with potter up, 1.25 with him back down gives us about 6 million free, aka more than enough to sign mats.

Horcoff isnt as good as Gomez, but im guessing staios is still a bruiser on the backend and schremp looks to be finally coming into his own as an nhler. might be worthwhile.

Richter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 02:25 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Get Rob Schremp IMO.

Jarkko Immonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 02:28 PM
jniklast

maybe that's why prucha sits out yet again. i think he would've earned to play more games, so maybe he sits because he will be traded. but then this is tom renney...

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 02:35 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen View Post
Get Rob Schremp IMO.
if we were to somehow aquire both cole and schremp it would make for a cool line.

shremp (fulton ny) cole (oswego ny) and callahan (roch ny) all within an hours drive of each other

all we would need is tim connolly (bville ny) and dustin brown from the kings (ithaca ny) and wed have all the cny guys.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 02:43 PM
DutchShamrock

Edmonton has a history of acquiring our struggling forwards for veteran depth, and unpopular players. I would imagine that they are looking at Dawes, Fritsche or Prucha, hoping that the speed and sniping skills thrive on the quick ice, uptempo game in Edmonton. So I'm thinking in the case of "No Sundin", the trade is 1 of those 3 for someone who is unpopular there, maybe Penner... a salary discrepency there, but maybe Prucha and Rissmiller/Voros/Fritsche is $2.6m. I know that still not close to Penner's salary so maybe we unload another bad contract or we aren't getting Penner. I don't know the Oilers enough to say who they are unhappy with, but I'd bet that this trade would involve such a player. If Sundin is coming to us I have to believe Roszival and Prucha are going for Penner.

I'll throw out Cole and Penner for Gomez and Roszival, not so much as a possibility but as something that could benefit us. Lose two bad contracts, clear space for Sundin, then we have 2 UFA contracts coming off the books at the end of the year.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote