HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

#27 -- Islanders @ Flyers -- Tuesday, December 9, 2008 -- 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
12-10-2008, 01:48 AM
FlyHigh

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I really enjoy the double standards on here, Kimmo and Biron were both directly responsible for goals against, but Kimmo is lauded as a "stud" while Biron is vilified.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 08:00 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
Coburn sucked again.
It's becoming a serious concern. He'll need to be a big piece of any playoff run.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 08:03 AM
kicksave27

I was at the game last night. Lupul looked like garbage, and carter was actually trying to feed him the puck. Get lupul away from carter. You can't have two trigger guys on the same line. You need carter with someone who's only job is to feed him the puck like upshal or nodl and hartnell in front for the rebound. It worked well so far, if it isn't broke, don't fix it. You could put lupul with danny when he gets back but that would be the worst defensive line in history. It's not the same lupul from last season.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 08:59 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

I love reading these the next day especially for comments like these:
Quote:
oh yeah, the fourth line will really start the comeback

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 09:00 AM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
I love reading these the next day especially for comments like these:
that happened less than a minute before they scored too

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 09:08 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I really enjoy the double standards on here, Kimmo and Biron were both directly responsible for goals against, but Kimmo is lauded as a "stud" while Biron is vilified.
Its great isnt it??? I am beginning to think it is some anti-Buffalo mentality or something....the same thing happens with Briere

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 09:14 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
that happened less than a minute before they scored too
yup. As I saw that, I thought "I think this is the shift where they score."
Too funny

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 10:39 AM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
As ever, can someone explain to me when the lead pass isn't icing is actually not icing?
I'm really glad someone else sees this. It drives me nuts. There was one play where it was a break out pass that just missed the stick....icing. Rediculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
As of late that 4th line has impressed me a lot. Im happy they got rewarded with 2 goals. Wish i was online to drop this gen when powe scored:

POWE RIGHT IN THE KISSER. hahahahaha im lame.
I have felt the same way and glad thyey got rewarded. I would've loved to see Cote score, but he strikes me as the type of guy that recognizes his contribution...and is happy with that just as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
I still haven't seen any punch that could have cut that guy. But that was fun.
I was wondering this as well.

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 12:34 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1118
Optional practice Wednesday (today).

http://flyers.nhl.com/team/app/?serv...LPage&id=18891

Sounds like Carle isn't ready.

Quote:
Carle still hurting - Defenseman Matt Carle skated with his teammates after having missed the last four games, and is still struggling from the effects of his upper body injury. Carle was visibly frustrated after leaving the ice, and spoke with the media.

"I can't seem to get over it," he said. "We were just kind of taking it slow and doing things that don't bother me, today I figured I'd give it a good go today and it's still pretty sore.

"That was the first time I really kind of did any drills or anything. It seemed that when I tried to skate with the puck, or even defending two-on-one, anytime I extended myself I would feel a little pull in there."

Carle was set to see another doctor later today, he said. He had an MRI earlier in the week, which came up negative.
Also, the team had a meeting after the debacle in Colorado:
Quote:

Simon Gagne also was among the players who spoke with the attending media today at the Virtua Center Flyers Skate Zone. He was asked about a team meeting that was held at the hotel in Colorado on October 16 following what was probably the Flyers' worst effort of the season; a 5-2 loss at the hands of the Avalanche.

It was their fourth of six losses to start the season, but since then, Philadelphia is an impressive 14-4-3 including a 10-1-3 run in its last 14 games overall.

"We had a [meeting] with all the guys together, and a couple things came out," said Gagne. "From there, we started to play a lot better and it showed in our game.

"Kimmo [Timonen] was pretty vocal, and [Mike Richards] kind of closed the meeting at the end. A couple guys spoke up, and the guys that had to speak up, did it."

After trailing the New York Rangers by as many as 12 points in the standings, the Flyers are now just four points behind the Atlantic Division leaders with three games in hand.

"Sometimes you just focus on the process, and the results will take care of themselves. Now, we've put ourselves back in the hunt," said Stevens.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 01:28 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Interesting that the two guys who seem to be quiet leaders in Kimmo and Mike led the meeting that might've turned our season around. Hopefully people end the speculation that they don't say anything. They have also been dynamite on the ice. The three captains and Carter are pretty much single-handedly responsible for being right there in the division.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 01:45 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Interesting that the two guys who seem to be quiet leaders in Kimmo and Mike led the meeting that might've turned our season around. Hopefully people end the speculation that they don't say anything. They have also been dynamite on the ice. The three captains and Carter are pretty much single-handedly responsible for being right there in the division.
I'm a little surprised that it was Kimmo and Mike who were mentioned as the guys who led that meeting. Glad to hear they did, though.

Some notes on the game last night:

- Happy to see Powe net his first career goal; his interview with Chris Simpson was a nice touch by Versus.

- I'll take the blame for Blake Comeau's goal. Just seconds before the goal I commented that Kukkonen was really struggling, but hadn't made an error that cost the Flyers a goal. Not that the goal was his fault, but I had to shake my head at my stupid comment.

- Carter's confidence is sky high. He's taking the puck to the net more often, instead of shooting from outside 30 feet every time.

- Upshall had a great game and I was very pleased to see his hard work result in a goal (Carter's).

- Asham/Cote played a great game. Both were physical and, as a result, had several shifts where they pinned the Isles in their own zone. Of course, that physicality also resulted in Asham's goal.

- Biron made better choices with regards to playing the puck last night, but every time he leaves the net to do so my heart skips a beat.

- I noticed Sbisa was very vocal on the ice last night, so I paid a little more attention to communication amongst the defense. I think Sbisa might be the most vocal defenseman on the Flyers. I'll keep my eye on that.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 02:50 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1118
Islanders waived Jon Sim today.
Quote:

http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2...er-re-shaping/

3:20 pm - Point Blank has learned that the Islanders have placed grinding forward Jon Sim on waivers.

The 31-year old Sim is now available to the rest of the league for the next 48 hours. In 28 games with the Islanders this season, he has 5 goals and 2 assists for 7 points.

An NHL source tells Point Blank the Islanders are not making this transaction to clear Sim to be sent to the minors. Instead, it could be viewed as the first (of potentially many) decisions to move some veterans to clear roster space over the next three months. If Sim is not picked up on waivers, he will likely stay with the Islanders.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 02:53 PM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Islanders waived Jon Sim today.
I guess the Isle's didn't like how Riles smeared him into the boards yesterday.
Sim was on the Phantoms when they won the Calder Cup in 04-05.
He's also been pretty much hopping through the League ever since he started. Eight Clubs in ten years.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 02:54 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
They should put Carle on IR and let him work it out without the pressure to play.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote