HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Hamilton/Waivers thread

Old
12-10-2008, 07:18 AM
BadHabit

vCash: 500
Official Hamilton/Waivers thread

Ok, so we all hear people saying "send down O'Byrne", etc, but what I want to know is:

1) Who are we able to send down without having to clear waivers
2) Who has a 2-way contract that would have to clear waivers
3) Who can we bring up and for how long (contract, roster numbers, etc)

Sorry - I don't know much about this subject and would like to learn. Who's got the ins and outs? Please no speculation, just post correct information for all of us. I know there's someone on here who knows.

Thanks!

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 07:31 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Seriously man.. I just posted this like a day or two ago.. and it's only on the second page..

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=580996

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 07:52 AM
BadHabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Seriously man.. I just posted this like a day or two ago.. and it's only on the second page..

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=580996
Seriously man - it doesn't answer my questions, so how about you read? First of all, you posted that you THINK you have it figured out so who knows if you are right or not. I want proof. And second of all, you don't mention anything about 2 way contracts (Hamilton and Habs players) or roster limits.

If you don't have anything constructive to post, go away.

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 09:37 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
Ok, so we all hear people saying "send down O'Byrne", etc, but what I want to know is:

1) Who are we able to send down without having to clear waivers
2) Who has a 2-way contract that would have to clear waivers
3) Who can we bring up and for how long (contract, roster numbers, etc)

Sorry - I don't know much about this subject and would like to learn. Who's got the ins and outs? Please no speculation, just post correct information for all of us. I know there's someone on here who knows.

Thanks!
I guess you weren't there last week when it was heavily talked about.

http://www.nhlscap.com/waivers.htm

Note that a player's status regarding waivers only changes in the offseason, no matter if the player reaches a game limit in the season itself.

1) O'Byrne (two-way contract, signed his first contract at 22, so has a limit of 3 seasons or 70 NHL games before having to go through waivers), D'Agostini, Price, S Kostitsyn. (they are all two-way contracts and under the limits for years and games)

2) Latendresse (played more than 160 NHL games)

I'm uncertain about Lapierre, I am not sure he has a two-way anymore.

#3 is way too long to answer, check the AHL roster, verify their status (signed contract at what age and number of NHL games)

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 01:57 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Two way contracts and waiver eligibility have nothing to do with each other...

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 02:00 PM
Dripper

O'Byrne, D'Agostini, Kosty Junior, Price and Halak are the only one who can be sent down without having to clear waivers.

On the other hand, O'Byrne has to clear waivers if we want to bring him back.

Dripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 02:02 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Two way contracts and waiver eligibility have nothing to do with each other...
Yes they do. For callback waivers. Players on two-way contracts (even if elligible for call down waivers) who have a salary lower than 100k in the AHL are exempt from recall waivers.

http://www.nhlscap.com/waivers.htm

Old
12-10-2008, 02:03 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dripper View Post
O'Byrne, D'Agostini, Kosty Junior, Price and Halak are the only one who can be sent down without having to clear waivers.

On the other hand, O'Byrne has to clear waivers if we want to bring him back.
Im not sure about Halak... I think he "might" have a one-way contract. The Habs maybe agreed to that so he wouldn't go play in the KHL.

Old
12-10-2008, 02:26 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
Seriously man - it doesn't answer my questions, so how about you read? First of all, you posted that you THINK you have it figured out so who knows if you are right or not. I want proof. And second of all, you don't mention anything about 2 way contracts (Hamilton and Habs players) or roster limits.

If you don't have anything constructive to post, go away.
It was constructive.. I wasn't trying to be a dick, but all you had to do was read my post and then read the source I gave, it gives you all the details.

BTW, my post was right after I noticed that RDS went over it as well.

Old
12-10-2008, 02:27 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Im not sure about Halak... I think he "might" have a one-way contract. The Habs maybe agreed to that so he wouldn't go play in the KHL.
Halak does have a 1-way contract, but he can still be sent down to Hamilton.

Old
12-10-2008, 02:31 PM
Dripper

O'Byrne has a one-way deal, so if he is sent to Hamilton, we still pay him full price, but it doesn't count against the cap. This is the case until he reaches 70 games or next season.

Halak and Price can both be sent down, under the same rule, which is the 80 games limit. Price is a few games away from that mark while Halak still has fortysomething games to go. Next year, he will have to go through waivers though. And to answer your question, he does have a one-way deal.

Source: http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/...e-9d56738533e3

Halak, who said he wanted to stay in Montreal, signed a two-year contract with the Canadiens yesterday. The one-way deal will pay him an average of $775,000, a raise from the $500,000 he earned on the NHL portion of a two-way contract last season.

Dripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Habinger

Quote:
O'Byrne has a one-way deal, so if he is sent to Hamilton, we still pay him full price, but it doesn't count against the cap. This is the case until he reaches 70 games or next season.

Halak and Price can both be sent down, under the same rule, which is the 80 games limit. Price is a few games away from that mark while Halak still has fortysomething games to go. Next year, he will have to go through waivers though. And to answer your question, he does have a one-way deal.

Halak, who said he wanted to stay in Montreal, signed a two-year contract with the Canadiens yesterday. The one-way deal will pay him an average of $775,000, a raise from the $500,000 he earned on the NHL portion of a two-way contract last season.
Glad Halak wants to stay with the Habs though I have to admit I'm a bit surprised. He's a good young netminder and you would think he'd want a starters job and more money elsewhere. Must be that he doesn't want to leave such a high class organization as the Habs. That and the new practice facility

Habinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:

Thanks for the info.

Just a specification, for recall waivers, it doesn't matter if he reaches the 70 games this season, because their status only changes in the off-season. If a player was exempt at the begining of the season, he will remain so until the next season even if he reaches the max number of games allowed. The limit of games is just a marker to reduce the number of years in the limit of years. That's why they only change the status in the offseason. So they can send him down before he reaches 70 games, and afterwards, even if he did reach his limit, he won't have to go through recall waivers.

From NHLscap.com :

"The recall waiver status of a player does not change during the season – so players currently exempt from recall waivers remain exempt for the entire season, and players who are subject to recall waivers remain subject for the entire season."

Old
12-10-2008, 03:57 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Note that a player's status regarding waivers only changes in the offseason, no matter if the player reaches a game limit in the season itself.
No, as soon as a player meet the number of NHL games played, he will immediately become eligible for waivers.

habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 04:06 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50 View Post
No, as soon as a player meet the number of NHL games played, he will immediately become eligible for waivers.
Not for recall waivers.... read the damn site.

From NHLscap.com :

"The recall waiver status of a player does not change during the season – so players currently exempt from recall waivers remain exempt for the entire season, and players who are subject to recall waivers remain subject for the entire season."

Old
12-10-2008, 04:17 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50 View Post
Pretty sure this is true.

What's posted above is for recall waivers, which I think has more to do with players in the minors who are no longer exempt from waivers.

I think guys like Michel Ouellet & Kyle Wellwood were subject to recall waivers because they are no longer exempt from waivers and they make over a minimum amount of money.

O'Byrne is not subject to recall waivers until after he becomes exempt from waivers, I believe.

Old
12-10-2008, 04:52 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Not for recall waivers.... read the damn site.
Read the damn CBA:

13.4 Exempt Players. Players who meet the criteria set forth below are exempt from Regular and Re-Entry Waivers:

As used above, NHL Games include NHL Regular Season and NHL Playoff Games.

The exemption form Regular and Re-Entry Waivers ends immediately upon a Player playing in the number of NHL Games set forth in the applicable column above.

Last edited by habsprospects: 12-10-2008 at 05:09 PM.
habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 04:53 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Pretty sure this is true.

What's posted above is for recall waivers, which I think has more to do with players in the minors who are no longer exempt from waivers.

I think guys like Michel Ouellet & Kyle Wellwood were subject to recall waivers because they are no longer exempt from waivers and they make over a minimum amount of money.

O'Byrne is not subject to recall waivers until after he becomes exempt from waivers, I believe.
Yes, but Ozymandias and Thief50 are speaking past each other.

The WAIVER status changes as soon as the number of games required is hit.

The RE-ENTRY WAIVER status changes only after the end of the year.

O'Byrne will become subject to waivers to go down IF (as soon as) he hits 70 NHL games, including playoffs.

EDIT: O'Byrne will be subject to re-entry waivers once he is subject to waivers. The exception for re-entry waivers for anyone who has played one or more games in either the NHL or a pro minor league is ONLY for players 25 years of age and older.

Last edited by BaseballCoach: 12-10-2008 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Correction
BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 06:49 PM
Chomsky

Quote:

Do you have a source?

http://habsinsideout.com/main/8731

Doesn't say if it's a one-way or two-way.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote