HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RDS (1Hour english segment a week)

View Poll Results: Should RDS offer a weekly segment on the habs in english?
yes 27 32.53%
no 56 67.47%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2008, 02:19 PM
Stradale

vCash: 500
If they do, its probably Francois Gagnon and Jacques Demers that will do that segment because the rest sucks big time in english.

Old
12-10-2008, 02:20 PM
BBrowser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
There's already plenty of Habs information in English that RDS doesn't need to do this. This is the information age for crying out loud... Just use the internet to get your fix!

Here's an idea, since a lot of the fans on this board are French, let's have a French section!
I just tried to post in french and I was deleted instantly

Probably gonna get this one deleted twice as fast!!

Old
12-10-2008, 02:24 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

I'm in the West, and bilingual, but I prefer RDS because to me hockey *sounds* better in French. There isn't a right answer here, I think it's mainly personal preference.

I doubt there's a need for an English segment, watch TSN or do your own English video blog - actually I think I may do just that.

There's a big "We Hate RDS" faction here on this board but not many other teams have all 82 games broadcast to them. I pay ~ $5 / month for RDS, it's freakin' gold. Other people have to shell out for Centre Ice and NOT get all the games due to blackouts..... they may be "morons" to some but if it suddenly disappeared they're be plenty of crying.

Great thread couple of the usual clowns totally out to lunch.

Old
12-10-2008, 02:25 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchy29 View Post
Some honest thought out feedback please.

Considering that this Quebec based team probably has more english speaking fans than french, I feel it would be considerate for RDS to provide maybe one english segment, covering the Habs each week so that english viewers could benefit from player interviews, coach interviews, and analyst. I don't think it would be that difficult and it would make thousands of fans happy, including many english speaking fans that live in Montreal. Keeping the whole French-English debate out of your response, would this not make good marketing sense? As a courtesy to the fan base.
Since when a channel is diffusing in two languages? Unless you have a small portion of your show who s in a other language (like a videoclip), I don't think the CRTC will let you do this.

Unless you want to start a new channel like a other RDS with the english as the language...but it already exist and it call TSN, except it Canada wide.

Old
12-10-2008, 02:40 PM
snakeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Have you ever been outside of Montreal? There are habs fans EVERYWHERE across Canada, and many in the US. All you have to do is watch our away games and you'll realize this..
Wow I don't believe 1/3 of the people would actually be in favor of this. It's just a downright stupid idea. If I was French, I'd feel insulted if I watch a French channel and then it suddenly switches to English for an hour, especially if I don't understand the language.

Old
12-10-2008, 02:45 PM
yukoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
If what you are saying were true, you'd have way more Habs games on TSN, which is NOT the case.
Actually Habs have 12 games this year on TSN, tied with Toronto for the team with the most games. So according to your own logic...what he says must be true.

I think you're the one who's deluded, there's no way that the fans in Quebec outnumber all the fans in all the other provinces plus the States.

Quote:
If the fanbase in English was significant out of Quebec, somebody would've tried to cash in on this.
Uhh...they are. See an all-time high for Habs games on both TSN and HNIC for starters. And your logic is faulty, with a split fanbase, it would be much harder for anyone to justify a Habs-only TV station. Just because it doesn't exist doesn't mean there is no interest there, it just means it's not justified fiscally.

The existence of RDS proves nothing. RDS is simply a sports channel that happens to serve a much more niche audience than TSN, thus they can focus alot more on one team, where TSN must cover many. But it's still a sports station. It proves nothing about the ratio of english to french fans. If there were a french-only Habs-TV station, then you would have a point.

Last edited by yukoner: 12-10-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Old
12-10-2008, 02:47 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBrowser View Post
I just tried to post in french and I was deleted instantly

Probably gonna get this one deleted twice as fast!!
28. HFBoards conducts business as an English language site. Just as you must abide by our terms of use, we must abide by our advertisers' terms of service to remain in business. Therefore, other than for the purpose of requesting translation of excerpts, we require posts to be in English.

http://hfboards.com/misc.php?do=cfrules

Old
12-10-2008, 02:54 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoar View Post
I'm in the West, and bilingual, but I prefer RDS because to me hockey *sounds* better in French. There isn't a right answer here, I think it's mainly personal preference.

I doubt there's a need for an English segment, watch TSN or do your own English video blog - actually I think I may do just that.

There's a big "We Hate RDS" faction here on this board but not many other teams have all 82 games broadcast to them. I pay ~ $5 / month for RDS, it's freakin' gold. Other people have to shell out for Centre Ice and NOT get all the games due to blackouts..... they may be "morons" to some but if it suddenly disappeared they're be plenty of crying.

Great thread couple of the usual clowns totally out to lunch.
Same here.

It's funny, I think more anglos like RDS on these boards then francos.

Old
12-10-2008, 02:54 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner View Post
Actually Habs have 12 games this year on TSN, tied with Toronto for the team with the most games. So according to your own logic...what he says must be true.

I think you're the one who's deluded, there's no way that the fans in Quebec outnumber all the fans in all the other provinces plus the States.
Stop twisting things. I was refering to demand. It has nothing to do with who has the most games on TSN, it has to do with ratings. If there is a market for a lot of English people to watch Habs game on English TV, TSN WOULD HAVE MORE GAMES OF THE HABS THAN THEY HAVE ALREADY, but there isn't. Just the fact that you bring the "Leafs have as many games on TSN" shows how poor your reading and text analysis skills are.

Nice try diverting the argument.

Again, if your bolded statement was true, someone among Sportsnet, TSN and CBC would put all the Habs games on their channel, because there would be a demand and a definitive source of TV ratings, yet it is not. Go look at yourself in the mirror before saying other people are deluded.

There is no factual way to quantify the difference in numbers of fans between inside and outside of province. The only thing you can bring are solid arguments related to the boardcasting of it as we are talking about the demand for English broadcasting.

Get off your high horse and try better arguments next time.

Old
12-10-2008, 02:55 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner View Post

OK, then would it be deluded to say that there are more quebec born fans of the habs then non-quebec born habs fans?

Old
12-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Jigger77

Isn't Canada officially bilingual?

Learn French. Problem solved.

There are plenty of ressources out there to do so. Everyone in Canada should at the very least speak and understand both official languages.

My two cents.

Old
12-10-2008, 02:59 PM
Travis Moen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
28. HFBoards conducts business as an English language site. Just as you must abide by our terms of use, we must abide by our advertisers' terms of service to remain in business. Therefore, other than for the purpose of requesting translation of excerpts, we require posts to be in English.

http://hfboards.com/misc.php?do=cfrules
I guess RDS also has rules and obligations towards their advertisers.

Old
12-10-2008, 03:00 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Stop twisting things. I was refering to demand. It has nothing to do with who has the most games on TSN, it has to do with ratings. If there is a market for a lot of English people to watch Habs game on English TV, TSN WOULD HAVE MORE GAMES OF THE HABS THAN THEY HAVE ALREADY, but there isn't. Just the fact that you bring the "Leafs have as many games on TSN" shows how poor your reading and text analysis skills are.

Nice try diverting the argument.

Again, if your bolded statement was true, someone among Sportsnet, TSN and CBC would put all the Habs games on their channel, because there would be a demand and a definitive source of TV ratings, yet it is not. Go look at yourself in the mirror before saying other people are deluded.

There is no factual way to quantify the difference in numbers of fans between inside and outside of province. The only thing you can bring are solid arguments related to the boardcasting of it as we are talking about the demand for English broadcasting.

Get off your high horse and try better arguments next time.
Yeah after all, TV stations are a business and want to make money, the highest amount of money possible, so I am inclined to agree with this statement.

My idea on the subject, give anglos the option to have english subtitles of some kind. It wouldn't that difficult would it? True that it is live, but many of the interviews and pre-game stuff is recorded before hand.

Also for expressvu I find RDS 100x better quality HD then CBC and I'm not 100% positive but if I remember correctly last time we checked TSN it wasn't the best either. I'm talking about on a 50" Panasonic plasma with bell expressvu here. Could be different on videotron or something though, but many people do have an RDS preference who are anglo. I'd be willing to bet that during game times, at least 33% are anglos watching, at LEAST. And if the common thing among francos is to watch TSN/CBC instead because they think the RDS guys are idiots, possibly even a higher % of anglos. So it would be catering to a good portion of their audience to give an OPTIONAL subtitles.

Don't get me wrong though, I can't really see this improving their ratings much regardless, but it would be nice.

Old
12-10-2008, 03:02 PM
Guy Germaine

no, RDS is TSN's french counterpart.It was created for the sole purpose of being the french voice of sports in Canada.
There's plenty of english media Habs coverage to choose from.

Old
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post

There are plenty of ressources out there to do so. Everyone in Canada should at the very least speak and understand both official languages.

My two cents.
end thread/

Old
Travis Moen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 View Post
Since when a channel is diffusing in two languages? Unless you have a small portion of your show who s in a other language (like a videoclip), I don't think the CRTC will let you do this.
E! on position 14, videotron classic cable althought it's not only two languages but multiple.

Old
12-10-2008, 03:04 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenash View Post
This will not end well.

And the answer is no.
LOL that's the exact same thing that went through my mind when I read the title of this thread.

I don't speak a lick of French and I totally agree the answer is "No".

Old
12-10-2008, 03:05 PM
Travis Moen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
end thread/
Quebec is officially a unilingual province.

Old
12-10-2008, 03:08 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
end thread/
How commonly used is french in other parts of Canada? But though English might not be commonly used in QC, it's used a hell of a lot more often then french is in most other provinces I'd be willing to bet. Also, in this country canada, regardless of quebecs stance on things, the official 1st language is English. Not trying to be mean or anything but there is just very little reason for a non-quebecer to actively persue learning french. For a quebecer, if they ever want to leave Quebec/France/Other French Countries and places, they'll need at least basic English to get by. But the same isn't true the other way around, only certain countries have french but English is the world language. So really telling people to learn french, if they're complaining may be a good point, but if not it really isn't.

But yeah.. I guess in terms of this thread you're right.

Old
12-10-2008, 03:20 PM
Russeltown

My answer is as simple as of : No.

They can have one on TSN if they want, and I'll listen to it. But No, not on RDS.

Old
12-10-2008, 03:33 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post

My two cents.
I hear what you are saying but when you work full time, are married with children it is hard to find the time to learn. I try and have picked up quite a bit the last few years. I don't care if RDS does it but it would be great for the Habs to facilitate something specifically for their Anglo fanbase outside Quebec, I'm sorry but TSN and the other English networks are totally out to lunch when it comes to Habs coverage.

Old
12-10-2008, 03:33 PM
yanokovich

Learn french,man and you will have rds 24 hours a day

Old
12-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Haddock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erngueva View Post
Two equations, this is simple : RDS = French, TSN = English.

It seems to me that TSN or Sportsnet, or any other english networks could offer a one hour/week coverage for the Habs if there is that much of a demand from our english speaking supporters.

RDS has enough difficulty to offer something of quality to their french viewers that you cannot ask them to offer something remotly good in english, come on.
QFT.

Seriously, that is one dumb idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
There's already plenty of Habs information in English that RDS doesn't need to do this. This is the information age for crying out loud... Just use the internet to get your fix!

Here's an idea, since a lot of the fans on this board are French, let's have a French section!
Zzzzziinnnnngggg!!!!!!!

Old
12-10-2008, 03:35 PM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kostopoulos View Post
Quebec is officially a unilingual province.
Yeah... that sure is true around here

Old
12-10-2008, 03:38 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
How commonly used is french in other parts of Canada? But though English might not be commonly used in QC, it's used a hell of a lot more often then french is in most other provinces I'd be willing to bet. Also, in this country canada, regardless of quebecs stance on things, the official 1st language is English. Not trying to be mean or anything but there is just very little reason for a non-quebecer to actively persue learning french. For a quebecer, if they ever want to leave Quebec/France/Other French Countries and places, they'll need at least basic English to get by. But the same isn't true the other way around, only certain countries have french but English is the world language. So really telling people to learn french, if they're complaining may be a good point, but if not it really isn't.

But yeah.. I guess in terms of this thread you're right.
you are 100% right, alas, it's exactly this type of thinking that kills me...

people seem to ignore the fact that it's a huge OPPORTUNITY and PRIVILEGE to be able to speak a second (and third, fourth, fifth...) language.

why would anyone, in their right mind, not WANT to take advantage and learn another language is beyond me.

but i doe realize that many people would argue until their blue in the face that it's their right to be able to communicate in only one language, and of course it is... it's just a shame that's all.

as for the RDS thing, if it was "HABS TV" and all in french, then I could certainly buy an argument that they should include english content, but as it is a french language station who, despite being available outside the province, is primarily produced for french speaking SPORTS enthusiast (and NOT only the habs), why on earth would they include an english segment???

if you want english, watch TSN/Sporstnet...

Closed Thread