HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RDS (1Hour english segment a week)

View Poll Results: Should RDS offer a weekly segment on the habs in english?
yes 27 32.53%
no 56 67.47%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2008, 02:48 PM
BigTimer*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
you are 100% right, alas, it's exactly this type of thinking that kills me...

people seem to ignore the fact that it's a huge OPPORTUNITY and PRIVILEGE to be able to speak a second (and third, fourth, fifth...) language.

why would anyone, in their right mind, not WANT to take advantage and learn another language is beyond me.

but i doe realize that many people would argue until their blue in the face that it's their right to be able to communicate in only one language, and of course it is... it's just a shame that's all.

as for the RDS thing, if it was "HABS TV" and all in french, then I could certainly buy an argument that they should include english content, but as it is a french language station who, despite being available outside the province, is primarily produced for french speaking SPORTS enthusiast (and NOT only the habs), why on earth would they include an english segment???

if you want english, watch TSN/Sporstnet...
They end up paying the price. If you were to poll all those south-western Ontario assembly line workers that have lost their jobs the past 3 months, I guarantee you that less than 1% can speak fluent French or even Spanish for that matter. Sure, some people will say "hey, they live in Ontario, why would they need to know another language?" and to those people I say "Wake Up". One of the best things parents can do for their kids is to make them learn a second language. The results speak for themselves.

Old
12-10-2008, 02:55 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
How commonly used is french in other parts of Canada? But though English might not be commonly used in QC, it's used a hell of a lot more often then french is in most other provinces I'd be willing to bet. Also, in this country canada, regardless of quebecs stance on things, the official 1st language is English. Not trying to be mean or anything but there is just very little reason for a non-quebecer to actively persue learning french. For a quebecer, if they ever want to leave Quebec/France/Other French Countries and places, they'll need at least basic English to get by. But the same isn't true the other way around, only certain countries have french but English is the world language. So really telling people to learn french, if they're complaining may be a good point, but if not it really isn't.

But yeah.. I guess in terms of this thread you're right.
Wrong.
From the Charter of Rights.

16. (1) English and French are the official languages of Canada and have equality of status and equal rights and privileges as to their use in all institutions of the Parliament and government of Canada.
20. (1) Any member of the public in Canada has the right to communicate with, and to receive available services from, any head or central office of an institution of the Parliament or government of Canada in English or French, and has the same right with respect to any other office of any such institution where

(a) there is a significant demand for communications with and services from that office in such language; or
(b) due to the nature of the office, it is reasonable that communications with and services from that office be available in both English and French.

Quote:

people seem to ignore the fact that it's a huge OPPORTUNITY and PRIVILEGE to be able to speak a second (and third, fourth, fifth...) language.

why would anyone, in their right mind, not WANT to take advantage and learn another language is beyond me.

but i doe realize that many people would argue until their blue in the face that it's their right to be able to communicate in only one language, and of course it is... it's just a shame that's all.

as for the RDS thing, if it was "HABS TV" and all in french, then I could certainly buy an argument that they should include english content, but as it is a french language station who, despite being available outside the province, is primarily produced for french speaking SPORTS enthusiast (and NOT only the habs), why on earth would they include an english segment???

Yup. And those are the same people who end up complaining they don't understand. And I assume vote for people like Galganov and join the movement for the preservation of the English Language.

Old
12-10-2008, 02:55 PM
MM425

It`s a neat idea because I know Habs fans all across the country subscribe to RDS just for Habs games.

But RDS in no way should feel obligated to do such a thing. It`s a french station for french-Canadian sports fans.

Old
12-10-2008, 02:57 PM
TonyTinglebone

Don't want to be involved in this argument, but isn't RDS and TSN owned by the same company? Therefore said company owns the rights to the Habs games and Sportsnet can't broadcast them? If you think about it Sportsnet West does Oilers and Flames while Sportsnet East only does Sens. I would bet that Sportsnet East would carry Habs games if they could.

Old
12-10-2008, 03:09 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorman03 View Post
Don't want to be involved in this argument, but isn't RDS and TSN owned by the same company? Therefore said company owns the rights to the Habs games and Sportsnet can't broadcast them? If you think about it Sportsnet West does Oilers and Flames while Sportsnet East only does Sens. I would bet that Sportsnet East would carry Habs games if they could.
They are two different companies "owned" by the same parent company, there is a difference. The NHL and Canadiens org sell the rights to the registered company known as RDS. TSN would have to pay for their own rights, or the parent company could buy the rights for both of them. I remember that it was Jerry Frappier and his team who got the contract with the Habs, TSN and the parent company were never involved.

Old
12-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
They end up paying the price. If you were to poll all those south-western Ontario assembly line workers that have lost their jobs the past 3 months, I guarantee you that less than 1% can speak fluent French or even Spanish for that matter. Sure, some people will say "hey, they live in Ontario, why would they need to know another language?" and to those people I say "Wake Up". One of the best things parents can do for their kids is to make them learn a second language. The results speak for themselves.
This is silly. It's not like speaking French or Spanish will help those workers, it's not like jobs are moving, its that factories are CLOSING EVERYWHERE.

There's a conveniently forgotten point here: all of the folks in Quebec who stubbornly refuse to learn English, and won't allow their kids to learn it..... which certainly can hurt them by limiting their opportunities in Canada.

I definitely do agree with your last 2 sentences, every person I know that speaks more than one language has their life enriched by it. It sure makes watching RDS that much better for me.

The other thing that ought to be pointed out is the aversion and "scare tactics" people use around French immersion programs. I don't know how many parents have told me that they are afraid to put their kids in immersion because "it will make it harder to learn in University where everything is in English and they won't know the vocabulary." It's 100% B.S. but one or two stories get passed around, blown out of proportion, and right away entire neighbourhoods get stupid ideas in their heads.

I don't buy the "you gotta learn French in Quebec cos it's polite" argument but FFS most of the First World is *not* unilingual..... at least give your kids a chance to learn another language.

Wow in before the lock!

Old
12-10-2008, 03:51 PM
Vinceee
Go Foreurs Go!

Send a message via MSN to Vinceee
Quote:

wow, i was about to write the same thing!

Old
12-10-2008, 03:51 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoar View Post
This is silly. It's not like speaking French or Spanish will help those workers, it's not like jobs are moving, its that factories are CLOSING EVERYWHERE.

There's a conveniently forgotten point here: all of the folks in Quebec who stubbornly refuse to learn English, and won't allow their kids to learn it..... which certainly can hurt them by limiting their opportunities in Canada.

I definitely do agree with your last 2 sentences, every person I know that speaks more than one language has their life enriched by it. It sure makes watching RDS that much better for me.

The other thing that ought to be pointed out is the aversion and "scare tactics" people use around French immersion programs. I don't know how many parents have told me that they are afraid to put their kids in immersion because "it will make it harder to learn in University where everything is in English and they won't know the vocabulary." It's 100% B.S. but one or two stories get passed around, blown out of proportion, and right away entire neighbourhoods get stupid ideas in their heads.

I don't buy the "you gotta learn French in Quebec cos it's polite" argument but FFS most of the First World is *not* unilingual..... at least give your kids a chance to learn another language.

Wow in before the lock!
That's the thing, with factories closing everywhere they will need to diversify their skills. There's obviously the initial problem of these people getting paid too much in the first place, but the amount of bilingual openings in North-America is astounding and completely untapped. Why hire two unilingual employees and pay them each 20$ an hour when you can hire one bilingual one at 30$ an hour? For certain sectors it's a no-brainer.

As for the immersion programs, the fact that the top private English schools in Montreal have mandatory immersion is proof that it won't hinder your academic future if you wish to continue on to an English post-secondary institution. If parents want to believe the contrary, so be it, but it's unfortunate because it's not as though I expect 10 year old kids to stand up for learning through immersion.

Old
12-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Ok this is going way off topic...time to shut it down.

Closed Thread