HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

D'Agostini Question

Old
12-10-2008, 11:45 AM
Pascal

vCash: 500
usually they give the calder to whoever got the most points.. this year it will be Versteeg or Brassard imo. there might also be some darkhorses who creep up from behind near the end like last year with Backstrom.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 12:20 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
D'ago

Dags is a young vet. He plays a two way game with some determination and hockey sense, and he has good skills, so I dont believe that he will peter out as much as we may think. He is an all round good player.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
If he keeps scoring a goal every game for the rest of the season, he'll win it.

Will that happen? NO!!!.

I fixed it for you.

Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 03:34 PM
goman

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarfangor View Post
That is the last on our list of things to think about. Stanley Cup first, Calder 2nd.
So is it last or second?

goman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 03:37 PM
goman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
Sure he has a chance. Waaaaay to early to start discussing it though.

Heck remember when Gilbert Dionne was called up by the habs and only played 39 games with the team. He finished like 5th or something in Calder voting, so ya never know.
He had 21 goals and 34 pts in those 39 games though. If he had played the entire season that would have been 40+ goals...

But then again, he played an entire season the next season and still scored 20 or so goals.

goman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 03:50 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by goman View Post
He had 21 goals and 34 pts in those 39 games though. If he had played the entire season that would have been 40+ goals...

But then again, he played an entire season the next season and still scored 20 or so goals.
Agree with you. My point is if a guy can get into the top 5, only playing 39 games, D'Ago would get consdiered in he plays 60 games, and produces at a close to 'so far' pace.

12-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Erika

D'Agostini sure looks like a future star at this moment. He's better than Ryder was when he first came. If Ryder can put around 50 points per year, I don't see how D'Agostini can't top that.

He reminds me of a faster Jonathan Cheechoo.

Funny how according to many people, Matt wasn't even NHL material. (Before his call-up) ...euhh humm Teufelsdreck euuhh humm Corey euuhh hummm...

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 05:07 PM
CPrice

Way too early to call him a superstar or a candidate for the Calder. I think hes playing over his head right now, hes giving 110% out there which is awesome but you have to remember he is fighting for his life to stay up with the big club.

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 05:17 PM
Stradale

He wont probably keep his pace but he can put 25 goals and 60 pts. He could be consider. People around the league are starting to notice him. The D'ago-Koivu-AKost line is doing very well, if they keep playing great, everything is possible.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 05:30 PM
habfaninvictoria

Ah leave it to hab fans to rush to anoint a rookie with 5 games under his belt as a superstar, calder worthy. Talk about unneeded pressure. Holy Crap what if he had scored 3 goals in his first outing like Fabien Brunnsrum.

Take a pill, let him play for a while. It might be fun to speculate, but if I can borrow from golf: There are 18 holes, you can't project your score based on 1 or 2 good holes, it's the entire package. As soon as you project you expectations over the hole round, you lose focus on the moment and boom your on a bogey train.

If after 30 games he's still producing like this then talk calder, until then let him enjoy the moment before we ruin it with our insatiable desire for the next Guy Lafleur.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 05:35 PM
ti-vite

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
Dags is a young vet. He plays a two way game with some determination and hockey sense, and he has good skills, so I dont believe that he will peter out as much as we may think. He is an all round good player.
Agreed, but he has yet to play an away game in the NHL.

But for the calder, right now, its anyones to take.

ti-vite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 05:51 PM
JrHockeyFan

D' Agostini never set the world on fire scoring wise in Jr hockey. Guelph (was coached by Dave Barr) pretty much stressed the defensive end of things.

He scored in the mid twenties. With about 80 points in his last year.

Oddly his first year at Hamilton his plus minus was not too great and he seemed to turn into more of a scorer. Don't know if that means he was hampered in Jr or grew in a different direction

He is doing well. Why over-burden the kid with excessive expectations. All to often when they come up short the knives come out. Fickle lot the forum is sometimes

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 06:09 PM
kalessin

If you're talking about Calder candidates you might be quick to name Brassard, Versteeg, Doughty, etc. but a lot of people are forgetting Patrik Berglund who has 18 points in 21 games and has been on an absolute tear in St. Louis now that he's getting a chance to play some more minutes. 15 points in his last 13 games now and three straight with two points.

kalessin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by starglider View Post
If you're talking about Calder candidates you might be quick to name Brassard, Versteeg, Doughty, etc. but a lot of people are forgetting Patrik Berglund who has 18 points in 21 games and has been on an absolute tear in St. Louis now that he's getting a chance to play some more minutes. 15 points in his last 13 games now and three straight with two points.
Good choice, a lot of people are forgetting him. But he's been slowly climbing up the list after a slow start. I've watched a few St.Louis games this year and I've been impressed with his play.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 06:13 PM
JAVO16

Yeah, people must remember he played two years in the AHL, travelling on the bus with the hard schedule and all. Taking the plane and staying in big hotels must feel incredible to that guy and he knows what it is to play 90+ games a year with the Calder cup run and all. He will slow down but I definitely think he could put Skost number this year maybe a little bit more if he stays with Akost and Koivu all year.

JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 07:20 PM
Boulette Cannon

The thing that I find D'agostini does better than any player on this team right now is how he makes simple but effective plays.

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote