HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If you could redo our free agent signings over the past 5 offseasons

Old
12-10-2008, 03:09 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Teemu Selanne, Brett Favre, and Barry Bonds say hi.
Super stars all. You really want to put Nylander in that class? You gave my three names. And Bonds is dubious to say the least.

And Selanne hasn't played a full season in two years.

Are you really debating the fact that a players' production will decrease as they get older?

12-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Super stars all. You really want to put Nylander in that class? You gave my three names. And Bonds is dubious to say the least.

And Selanne hasn't played a full season in two years.

Are you really debating the fact that a players' production will decrease as they get older?
No i'm just trying to show you it's not all cut and dry like you make it out to be. I don't think anyone can say how good or bad he woulda been if we kept him, or what would have happened to Jagr last year if we kept Nylander as his center. Now lets take another player who is aging but we haven't seen a drop. Sundin, what is he 37 now? He had a pretty nice season last year.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 03:56 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
No i'm just trying to show you it's not all cut and dry like you make it out to be. I don't think anyone can say how good or bad he woulda been if we kept him, or what would have happened to Jagr last year if we kept Nylander as his center. Now lets take another player who is aging but we haven't seen a drop. Sundin, what is he 37 now? He had a pretty nice season last year.
We don't know what could have been. We do know did happen — he played in less than half a season.

Again, you're comparing Nylander to a legit superstar in Sundin. There not in the same category.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 04:00 PM
Radek27

Quote:
We don't know what could have been. We do know did happen he played in less than half a season.

Again, you're comparing Nylander to a legit superstar in Sundin. There not in the same category.
i'm not comparing anybody, i'm responding to your rather broad statement that players production drops as they age. That isn't always the case.

Old
12-10-2008, 04:03 PM
TheHotRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalRanger View Post
yeah and nylander put up what 70? 80? assists as a ranger his last season , a team dosen't necesserly need 2 playmaking centers.
as far as i'm concerned, we have zero playmaking centers at the moment. gomez doesn't make plays. he carries the puck from our zone into the offensive zone...that's the one skill he has going for him.

i think nylander is still a 60-70 pt guy in this league, i think he will be at that level next year too. i'd rather take him and his cap hit and pray for the best during his contract year than have gomez and his 7.3 hit for the next 5 years.
nylander is also a lot more fun to watch with the puck.

there's only one guy on this team who deserves to be making over 6 mil a year. if slats could somehow dump the rest of the 6mil plus gang i'd be thrilled. i'm sure plenty will disagree, but i know i'm not alone in thinking that.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 04:08 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalRanger View Post
yeah and nylander put up what 70? 80? assists as a ranger his last season , a team dosen't necesserly need 2 playmaking centers.
He put up 57 his last season in NY.

Old
12-10-2008, 04:10 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
i'm not comparing anybody, i'm responding to your rather broad statement that players production drops as they age. That isn't always the case.
You picked two hockey, players both superstars, one who has not played a full season in two years. Is it always the case? No. But it's the norm.

Old
12-10-2008, 04:11 PM
TheHotRock

Quote:
You picked two hockey, players both superstars, one who has not played a full season in two years. Is it always the case? No. But it's the norm.
is it also the norm to assume that once a guy hits age 35 he's gonna miss half his games due to an injury?

Old
12-10-2008, 04:12 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
is it also the norm to assume that once a guy hits age 35 he's gonna miss half his games due to an injury?
It's right to assume the likelihood increases.

Old
12-10-2008, 04:14 PM
Radek27

Quote:
He put up 57 his last season in NY.
And the much younger Gomez put up 70. Thats 13 more points.......how bad did Nylander really do if you think Gomez is so great? Also didn't Nylander miss a few games when his child was born while Gomer played in every game?

Why you picking on Nylander so much Singin, I thought he was a good player when he was here. Much better shot than Gomez thats for sure.

Old
12-10-2008, 04:17 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
And the much younger Gomez put up 70. Thats 13 more points.......how bad did Nylander really do if you think Gomez is so great? Also didn't Nylander miss a few games when his child was born while Gomer played in every game?

Why you picking on Nylander so much Singin, I thought he was a good player when he was here. Much better shot than Gomez thats for sure.
First of all, Immortal Ranger asked how many assists Nylander had his last season in NY.

I'm not picking on Nylander. He was a good Ranger. But to pine for him with the contract he got is silly. Anyone giving a guy who's 35 a four year deal is nuts.

Old
12-10-2008, 04:22 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:

Nylander put up 57 assists. He put up 83 points. so he actually beat Gomez by 13 points.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 04:38 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post
Nylander put up 57 assists. He put up 83 points. so he actually beat Gomez by 13 points.
Sry bout that, thats what I get for skimming the thread and not looking up numbers.

Old
12-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Bury Your Head

Signing both Gomez AND Drury was a mistake. A very expensive mistake.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 05:15 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Sry bout that, thats what I get for skimming the thread and not looking up numbers.
Hey i'd prefer Nylander over "I can't find chemistry with anyone" Gomez

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 05:31 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Ah, Marc Savard. The one that got away.

I followed his career while he was with Oshawa. And then i was thoroughly pissed off when we traded him... what did we trade him for? Jan Hlavac and Jamie Lundmark.

Hind sight is 20/20.

If only we had just KEPT some of our budding young studs. Something this organization never understood.

Kovalev, Savard, Amonte, Weight.

And, 3 of them are still playing in the league. And doing well.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 10:16 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Ah, Marc Savard. The one that got away.

I followed his career while he was with Oshawa. And then i was thoroughly pissed off when we traded him... what did we trade him for? Jan Hlavac and Jamie Lundmark.

Hind sight is 20/20.

If only we had just KEPT some of our budding young studs. Something this organization never understood.

And, 3 of them are still playing in the league. And doing well.
You missed the biggest one of all. Zubov!! Why in the world did we let him go??? A few other names that come to mind are Domi, Norstrom, Mike Ridley, Knuble, and even Malholtra isn't too bad a player and is currently with the Jackets I believe.

It could be worse I think. We could've gave up too early on Luongo, not picked up and signed Spezza, or kept Jokkinen, and traded Chara and Tim Connelly.

I know what you're saying. The Devils are the one team that doesn't give up on young talent. And we must of had some bad scouting to draft Lundmark and Brendyl in the first round.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 10:21 PM
TheHotRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post
Hey i'd prefer Nylander over "I can't find chemistry with anyone" Gomez
i prefer to call him "7.3 for the next 5 years" gomez....but your nickname works too

Old
12-10-2008, 10:28 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

While we should've gotten more for the first two, I don't regret them being traded, they underachieved here. Amonte and Weight on the other hand were necessities in getting the assets needed for '94. Neil Smith has also said he really didn't want to trade Amonte, but had to and it paid off.. can't fault him for that.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 10:30 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey2000nyr View Post
and plus we had savard and got rid of him, why would he want to come back?
Because it was a mistake. Neil thought Lundmark was gonna be great. He turned into a minor leaguer.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 10:48 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
Because it was a mistake. Neil thought Lundmark was gonna be great. He turned into a minor leaguer.
Well I do remember reading that Savard was a very unpopular player in the Rangers dressing room. Very full of himself, did a lot of complaining about ice time, ect. PART of the reason he got moved i'm sure.