HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Help: What's a better deal.

Old
12-03-2008, 12:46 AM
Ajax02
Sauce.

vCash: 500
Help: What's a better deal.

K so I'm looking into getting some new goalie equipment, what would you say is a better deal for me?

To save money I'm trading a pair of Canucks Tickets that have about a $400 value.

So do I trade for:

1. USED Nike Bauer Vapor XXX Pads, Glove and Blocker

or

2. NEW Rbk 6k Pads only.

Thoughts?

Ajax02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 01:04 AM
UserName

do you have a glove and blocker already??

UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 01:13 AM
Ajax02
Sauce.

No i dont.

Old
12-03-2008, 01:18 AM
UserName

much more worth it if you get the used pads, gloves and blocker. i think, as long as they are in good condition.

UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 01:27 AM
Ajax02
Sauce.

Last edited by Ajax02: 12-03-2008 at 11:53 AM.
Old
12-03-2008, 03:17 AM
RobertKron

What level are you playing? Do you really need new stuff?

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 03:51 AM
Ajax02
Sauce.

Basically just starting out so no i dont need jew stuff but those are the 2 offers I have so yea

Old
12-03-2008, 08:32 AM
Hounsy

I'd go with the Pro level stuff as if it really is only a year old and not showing any significant wear then it will easily outlast the SR 6k stuff.

Hounsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 08:56 AM
HansonBro

this should be a no brainer

HansonBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 11:10 AM
densetsu

Shouldn't even be a debate.

Getting year-old pro-level pads is a *much* better buy than entry-level Sr. pads. There'll be noticeable wear on the 6K's after a season, after two seasons it'll be way worse. I'd be *very* surprised if the 6Ks lasted through three seasons without falling apart. The pro-level pads will easily last 5 years. Also consider than the pro-level pads are probably lighter and more customizable.

Add in the fact that you're getting the pro-level trapper and blocker too, and it's a steal.

And puck marks are cool, they're battle scars. If you really don't want them, though, there's various ways of getting them off... using the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is the most popular way and gets off all but the heaviest puck marks.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Ajax02
Sauce.

okay cool, thanks for your help guys.

Old
12-03-2008, 01:27 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwan20 View Post
So do I trade for:

1. USED Nike Bauer Vapor XXX Pads, Glove and Blocker

or

2. NEW Rbk 6k Pads only.

Thoughts?
I think I saw 6k pads being cleared out for $250 recently. The shop in Anaheim that I go to offered an extra 20% off this past weekend as well.

And it depends on how used is "USED." If your league doesn't care about 12" pads, you can score some pretty nice deals as well.

But assuming the Bauer pads are still in good shape, they probably are a better value than new 6k pads. I have the 5k pads which I use for ball hockey and (until recently) ice here and there. They've held up well for 3+ years, but most others who have had the entry level pad haven't had the same experience.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 06:50 PM
MikeD

The RBK offers a better product design in several areas. The landing gear is taller, reducing stress on the body. The strapping set up offers a more "custom" feel for the user. RBK Senior Pro is of the same quality level as the baur Vapor XXX senior pro. On the flip side, the total flat face design may cause a novice goalie some problems. The Bauers design will be a better fit for the learning goalie.

Are you sure your going to like the bauer Catcher? The 60 degree palm break can be a radical change if your used to an older Koho, Brians or Bre-2000 Heaton type glove. The glove doesnt have that WIDE OPEN feel of these other models. It will be an adjustment period to get the puck going into the pocket and not having pop-out issues.

Realize that PRO is in reference to measures and size only for the most part. PRO can also indicate that the product is made in the USA or Canada. Many have farmed out their youth, intermediate and senior gear to shops on China, using lower quality materials. Pro level blockers and gloves do normally offer a slightly improved protection level with additional padding or design difference in some models. Most NHL goalies have had thier gear made stripped down to shave as much weight as possible and the gear tends to have a VERY limited lifespan in comparison to stock or custom gear made for the "normal joe". By being labels PRO, your not getting NHL gear other than size spec.

I would go for the deal that offers you the biggest bang for the buck. Having the full set will get you on the ice for less coin and your likely to be able to get the full value on resale next season if you decide to "upgrade". The biggest hitch being, will you like the Vapor Catch Glove. Also, the ultra thin blocker board can be a problem when facing high caliber shooters(75-80 mph and above). The thin board and limited padding can cause some stingers(direct strikes) to the top of the hand just below the wrist. Nothing that you wont be able to deal with but you will feel the occasional shot with that model blocker.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote