HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: McKenna: "Kovy's Kids Need to Step Up"

Old
12-11-2008, 12:57 PM
hockeyscribe22
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
OT: McKenna: "Kovy's Kids Need to Step Up"

No, Iím not talking about the sick and underprivileged children that Alex Kovalev helps with his remarkable volunteer initiatives. The underachieving kids in the dressing room are the ones fans should be worried about.

http://insidehockey.com/columns/2521

hockeyscribe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 01:04 PM
Haddock

Kind of stating the obvious but it's nice to see someone talk about the older young players on the team instead of mentionning S.Kostitsyn and Latendresse as people who need to step up. They do too, but this team can't simply rely on twenty-one years old who aren't Carey Price. Even he should be expected to have off nights though. Those three are very young men. Higgins, A.Kost and Plekanec have to give more to the team. They the ones we're expected to carry the team once Kovalev is gone. Good article.

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 01:07 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
I agree with most of the article however I think Andrei is coming on strong and the concussion slowed him down big time at the star of the year.

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 01:08 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyscribe22 View Post
No, Iím not talking about the sick and underprivileged children that Alex Kovalev helps with his remarkable volunteer initiatives. The underachieving kids in the dressing room are the ones fans should be worried about.

http://insidehockey.com/columns/2521
To be honest, a stanley cup they come and go, sick kids, they tend to just go. I'd rather care about the underprivileged kids then the damn underachievers we have who will be traded.

And what's with the kovy blame here? haha dumb article

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 01:09 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

I know the guys are playing more consistently. but I miss the ATAK line. So many good memories from last year...

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 01:11 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
Kind of stating the obvious
It's clearly not obvious enough. I mean, just read the thread. neofury clearly didn't even read the article

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 01:23 PM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
I find that was a very superficial analyse. It basically looked at the stats from last year and said, "well they aren't producing much this year, so they are regressing." What it fails to note is that the Habs had a rocky start last year as well. In December they turned it around and most of the players produced lots of points after November. I wouldn't be surprised to see the same thing this year as many (AK46, Kovalev, even Plekanec) have been playing much better of late.

I also dislike the "well he's on pace for only 40 odd points etc" logic. You can't take such a small sample as 25ish games and apply it to 82 games simply because a player can go on a cold streak during those 25ish games without having a hot streak.

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 01:24 PM
le_sean

Plekanec is the one really worrying me. Most of last year he would go into the corners and fight for pucks, pushing defencemen. Since the playoffs he has avoided confrontation like the plague. It's not just a little slump.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 01:46 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
To be honest, a stanley cup they come and go, sick kids, they tend to just go. I'd rather care about the underprivileged kids then the damn underachievers we have who will be traded.

Talk about taking things a bit too serious..

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 01:49 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post

It's a great article, and you missed the point of it entirely, it's about Higgins, Plekanec, A.Kost & our bad PP moreso than Kovalev himself.

Love how last season was boiled down to its important parts..... good to see someone remembers who things went post Xmas & how that affected our season (and this years expectations!)

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 01:51 PM
Nedved

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Plekanec is the one really worrying me. Most of last year he would go into the corners and fight for pucks, pushing defencemen. Since the playoffs he has avoided confrontation like the plague. It's not just a little slump.
i hate to say this, but his play is reminding me of torontos blake. soft and staying out of heavy traffice areas. its like hes scared to be out there.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 01:56 PM
Crystal Met

yeah i wonder whats the matther with plekanec
its probably the "plkanec is gangsta" thread that jinxed him

.. is he still wearing his turttlle neck? maybe that,s it

Crystal Met is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanwuc View Post
i hate to say this, but his play is reminding me of torontos blake. soft and staying out of heavy traffice areas. its like hes scared to be out there.
Blake is 35. His best season came 2years ago.

Plekanec is still a youngster although 26. He has a lot of time ahead of him and he already tied Blake's career year.

I'm not worried about Plek. The season didn't start as planned when he was paired with Kovalev/A.Kost. So now it was up to Carbo to switch things around, I thought he looked pretty good with Tanguay (like everybody else), they had good chances but having Kosto there didn't really help the finish.

I think with Lats/S.Kost he'll do good. He's not a big physical player, so he needs his linemates to do go battle in the corners.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 02:08 PM
gee

Quote:
It's easy to forget that the Habs remarkable 2007-08 regular season run really got underway during their annual and traditionally disastrous Christmas road trip and Ryan O'Byrne's antics following the team's rookie dinner.

is he suggestiing obyrne steal another purse?

gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 02:25 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
A.K is doing well IMO, coming off strong, giving it his all. Pleks, Higgins need to shape up or ship out. They still have great value, could get us a decent center, however At their Full Potential they would be great, but they just aren't playing. The problem clearly isn't Kovalev, hes a point a game in the last what? 12 games? Sure they aren't goals but he sure as hell knows how to pass the puck at the right time. Kovalev is one of our stars IMO and he will start scoring soon. Higgins and Pleks I can't say the same.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 02:30 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by gee View Post
is he suggestiing obyrne steal another purse?
Dec.29th and 30th the Habs are in Florida and then Tampa,it may very well happen

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 02:37 PM
HabsHockey*
Keep Keeping On

Imagine what the media would say if we were doing better than last year, geeshhh.

HabsHockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 02:49 PM
mikeg

i'm sorry, who is connor mckenna and why should i care what he thinks?

mikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 02:59 PM
DaHabMan

well plecky may not be scoring but it doesnt mean hes trying. Hes having a bad year so what? Hell rebound next year and if he doesnt well, he'll become what he was suppose to be from the start, a third line defensive centerman with a bit of a scoring touch. Ive got no problems with that. Oh btw, connor mckenna is a dude on team 990.

DaHabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 03:03 PM
hockeyscribe22
HFB Partner

Habs beat reporter Team 990

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg View Post
He's a good kid guys. Doesn't mean you should care what he thinks, but then again why should we care what you think? We do, but why? Maybe because this is a forum for people to express their opinions. Lighten up mikeg!

Old
12-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Turboflex*

Conor McKenna is a 25 year old kid who got an internship at team 990 or something and gets to write an internet column there. His writing seems to consist of general observations on what fans think + his own opinion on what they should think. I'm sure he'll be able to land a job at the gazette someday as they seem to love that kind of general white noise passing as "hockey analysis", Red Fisher has been pumping out this sort of tripe for 70 years. I've seen much better writing and hockey commentary from anonymous fans here or sites liek habsworld.net.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 03:42 PM
hockeyscribe22
HFB Partner

Point taken...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
Conor McKenna is a 25 year old kid who got an internship at team 990 or something and gets to write an internet column there. His writing seems to consist of general observations on what fans think + his own opinion on what they should think. I'm sure he'll be able to land a job at the gazette someday as they seem to love that kind of general white noise passing as "hockey analysis", Red Fisher has been pumping out this sort of tripe for 70 years. I've seen much better writing and hockey commentary from anonymous fans here or sites liek habsworld.net.
But let's get back on topic here. I say trade Kovi!

Old
12-11-2008, 03:43 PM
hockeyscribe22
HFB Partner

LOL! Just kidding...

I agree with Conor, the 25-30 year-old players need to step up! Kovi is in a slump but come playoff time you need him on the team!

Old
12-11-2008, 03:43 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg View Post
He's been involved in local media for around a year. Who are you, effin Red Fisher, you don't talk to rookies ? Why read anything or care what anyone thinks ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 03:44 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyscribe22 View Post
He's a good kid guys. Doesn't mean you should care what he thinks, but then again why should we care what you think? We do, but why? Maybe because this is a forum for people to express their opinions. Lighten up mikeg!
Isn't his old man, a well known journalist ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote