HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Carle "Intercostal" Tear - 90% chance he will play Saturday (Dec. 13)

Old
12-11-2008, 01:24 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
So whats the time frame on this injury? Guesses?

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 01:26 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
i'm gonna say, 4-6 months. this is a huge guess i have no idea what i'm talking about.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 01:31 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
To all you people sad and beside yourselves that we lost Steve Downie -- get over it. If the Flyers *need* Steve Downie to the point to be a contender, they'll be contending for the lottery.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 01:35 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
To all you people sad and beside yourselves that we lost Steve Downie -- get over it. If the Flyers *need* Steve Downie to the point to be a contender, they'll be contending for the lottery.
I may just start ignore listing these people. They're the same ones who get up on Steve Downie and who slag off Martin Biron.

Who's done more for this team in the last 12 months, Downie or Biron? Judging by the comments by a lot of the morons here, it's apparently Downie.

I miss the 04 version of this board more and more every day tbh and I wasn't even here when the board started.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 01:39 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
flamed by Johnsson. Man, I miss Johnsson.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 01:41 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Ouch, nasty injury. I had a badly, badly bruised intercostal a while back. It put me out of commission for a while. I can't imagine what tearing it would feel like. Sheesh.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 01:45 PM
Norm MacDonald

I fail to see the logic behind saying this makes room for Sundin. We take a hit on defense... so we add another forward?

Our forward group is the least of the Flyers' problems.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 02:06 PM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
So whats the time frame on this injury? Guesses?
I would have to think it depends on how bad it is and on the person. The article made it seem like the drugs weren't working. It might be realistic to say 1-4 months? Someone who actually had the injury should know a better time frame.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 02:15 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
If you move Lupul, there is still too many centers. Briere at RW didn't work. The Carter to RW ship has obviously sailed by now. Richards is not an RW. No less than two of those guys would have to move to wing to get them the proper playing time.

The Flyers also just can't sign Sundin because of injuries. All these guys are going to come back at some point.
Actually it did work. It just did not work for the rest of the team. Gagne, Richards, Briere line looked great.

but trying to change everything on our team including our D and forwards did not work at the beginning of the season.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 02:35 PM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
From http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/b...f/1045099?open

1 to 6 weeks. I've got a feeling it'll be a lot closer to 6, if not over that. Depends on how bad the tear is, I'm guessing.

L-train* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 02:44 PM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-train View Post
From http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/b...f/1045099?open

1 to 6 weeks. I've got a feeling it'll be a lot closer to 6, if not over that. Depends on how bad the tear is, I'm guessing.
It's been about a week (4 games) so he might be able to come back soon ... or go on the IR for a long time.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 02:53 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Actually it did work. It just did not work for the rest of the team. Gagne, Richards, Briere line looked great.

but trying to change everything on our team including our D and forwards did not work at the beginning of the season.
Therefore, it did not work.

I'm glad they figured it out with Carle, this game-to-game thing wasn't going to work. I had suggested that they put him on IR even before this so that there wasn't pressure on him to fix it, but as it seems with the Flyers, a 2-game injury turns into a 2-month injury.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 03:08 PM
sg12lw

everyone is saying we dont need forwards, but if im not mistaken all our production comes from 12, 17, 18, 22.....thats only four guys producing...and we cant score even strength...so sundin would be a huge boost to our team....he could also help guys like lupul and hartnell, which would make our team better, bc we would have three scoring lines, not one and a third

that being said i still dont see sundin coming here, and i would rather swing a deal for bouwmeester

by the way...randy jones can play, and he will help this team

sg12lw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 03:08 PM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyMac View Post
The problem is that we don't really save money when players are on the LTIR. It's just that the Flyers can go over the cap equivalent to the salaries on LTIR. But they can't bank the $ saved on the salaries of the players on LTIR. So as soon as Briere (and likely Carle) come off of LTIR, we would be back in cap hell.

At least that is my interpretation of it.
its weird i the cap is configured on payroll to date. and then your allowed an injury cushin to go over the cap. you have to be compliant through projected salaries for players on the active roster and then on actual salaries at the end of the year.

so yes you can save money but not untill the player actually comes back or if they arent expected back entirely.

take briere. the flyers reciever a cushion for his salary from the time he went on ir to the time he comes back. they can then spend that money on a player whose total cost for the year is less then that salary for the amount of games he missed (if its the minimum 10 games and 20 days off its 1.04 mil) or a higher priced player or collection of players for a limited number of games whose salries add up to that total. but when briere returns the total projected payroll cant exceed the the cap plus money allowed for in the cushion divided by the number of days remaining in the season.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 03:24 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Gambini View Post
everyone is saying we dont need forwards, but if im not mistaken all our production comes from 12, 17, 18, 22.....thats only four guys producing...and we cant score even strength...so sundin would be a huge boost to our team....he could also help guys like lupul and hartnell, which would make our team better, bc we would have three scoring lines, not one and a third

that being said i still dont see sundin coming here, and i would rather swing a deal for bouwmeester

Sundin obvously would help if he came here...Sundin is also very good at playing with subpar or young wingers and making them better, he did it in Toronto for years....I just dont see how they could do it without getting rid of too much.....Jones is needed now that Carle will be out for a while.....

If lets say trading Lupul would be enough, maybe, cause he most likely needs to be moved next year anyway, you can just move Briere back to the wing for this year, but we cant afford to give up Lupul, Jones + right now, especially with Carle out.

This would be an amazing group of forwards though....

Gagne Richards Briere
Hartnell Sundin Nodl
Upshall Carter Knuble

or

Gagne Richards Knuble
Hartnell Sundin Briere
Upshall Carter Nodl

It doesnt really seem to matter who Carter plays with these days, as soon as he touches the puck he shoots and scores anyway....

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 03:30 PM
South Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
A good indicator of how good he is: if the Flyers were to sign him, Jeff Carter would be the third line center.
As much as I think Sundin is a great player, I think Carter would regress becoming a third center.

South Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 04:02 PM
Miss Mess

Freakin figures. How did this injury even happen?!

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 04:34 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Beach View Post
As much as I think Sundin is a great player, I think Carter would regress becoming a third center.
Given the moves they'd need to make to clear cap for him, yeah, Carter might wind up skating with Asham and Cote.

Then again, perhaps then it'd be time to bring up Giroux.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 04:36 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

This is the year of the LTIR
Ryan Parent
Randy Jones
Danny Briere
Matt Carle

all before new years

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 04:38 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
This is the year of the LTIR
Ryan Parent
Randy Jones
Danny Briere
Matt Carle

all before new years

Derian Hatcher
Mike Rathje

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 04:52 PM
Terence Peterman

this can be summed up in two words: Ah, balls!

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 05:03 PM
Kaktus*

It only took 5 games to find out whats wrong.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 05:07 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
well this sucks.......... i hope hes back sooner than later. I guess playing defense for the Flyers is like the kiss of death....

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 05:16 PM
Jester

Quote:
Therefore, it did not work.
Nah, it worked fine. Biron was just sucking arse at the time, and our D blew. Briere on the wing was working perfectly well.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 05:17 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Gambini View Post

The even strength problems are a secondary issue. As of now we have something like 7 forwards who should get to 20 goals. That's pretty good distribution. You're not going to have 5 or 6 30 goal scorers.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote