HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carle "Intercostal" Tear - 90% chance he will play Saturday (Dec. 13)

Old
12-11-2008, 06:31 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Nah, it worked fine. Biron was just sucking arse at the time, and our D blew. Briere on the wing was working perfectly well.
Granted, the experiment was held during that early stretch when the team was pretty much a mess altogether...but, there's no denying that Gagne-Richards-Briere is the only line that was excelling during that stretch. Our offense was seriously looking like the Sens there for a bit.

I think the teamwide results could be better if the experiment were to take place again, but at this juncture I still prefer the balanced scoring attack we can achieve without it.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 06:35 PM
phlocky

This is not good news. It explains a little as to why we saw a decline in Carles play towards the end there before he was taken out of the lineup. Worst case, Carle is shut down for the remainder of the season, maybe back for the playoffs. Jones comes back and plays 2nd pairing puck-mover. We have a top 4 of Timonen & Vannanen and Jones and Coburn with Alberts and Sbisa on the 3rd pairing and Kukkonen as the 7th. That's not terrible, it would be better with Carle but it's still not terrible. It might not be enough to win the cup but honestly, I've said it for 2 years now, THIS isn't our year for the cup, we are still too young. NEXT YEAR we will be in line for a serious cup run, mark my words.

So what have we honestly gained or lost with the Carle trade. Well, most significantly we are without Eminger but with Jones back and the play of Sbisa, eminger was expendable. Would we be better with Eminger than without him, yes, but NOT having him doesn't cripple us. We don't have Downie any more but honestly, he wasn't going to get a fair shake here ever. We really aren't down too much. Even if Carle is out for the season we get a very good dman for a number of years AFTER this season. So basically we traded away a little bit of depth players today for a stronger player TOMORROW. Even with Carle being out now it was still a good trade for us.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 07:08 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
Granted, the experiment was held during that early stretch when the team was pretty much a mess altogether...but, there's no denying that Gagne-Richards-Briere is the only line that was excelling during that stretch. Our offense was seriously looking like the Sens there for a bit.

I think the teamwide results could be better if the experiment were to take place again, but at this juncture I still prefer the balanced scoring attack we can achieve without it.
Well, the team has been demonstrably better without Briere...and our scoring has been fine. It isn't like this team was a good even strength team last year either.

Him playing center is clearly not a necessity.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 08:18 PM
TheKingPin

since carle went down we havec been playing at a lesser level. no secret that we started winning when he go here.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 09:26 PM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
We lost Downie for nothing.
Just think. If we still had him, he would have scored that one goal he's had this season for us!!

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 10:31 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Carle dressed for warmups tonight, and he was in very visible pain whenever he shot.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 10:34 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Carle dressed for warmups tonight, and he was in very visible pain whenever he shot.
I think its more of a nagging pain.

Hope Carle and Jones are back soon. Sbisa as much as I love him, needs to go back down to the WHL for now.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 09:25 AM
Raffl House

Quote:
The dude didn't die....he'll be back at some point and will be just fine for us.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 09:32 AM
Claude28Giroux
praiseG

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
we can afford to lack a little on the back end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carle Winslow View Post
The dude didn't die....he'll be back at some point and will be just fine for us.

Claude28Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 10:46 AM
dawkins121

I think Briere at wing could work, but Metropolit just doesn't seem to be able to generate offense and whoever has played on his wing thus far seems to struggle. I say we keep Briere at center for now, pair him with Lupul and Upshall/Nodl and hope that they can generate enough offense to offset their defensive liabilities. If their struggles in our own zone get out of hand, then consider moving Briere to wing (although I'm not sure where he would go, I just don't see Carter and Briere together and breaking up the Gagne-Richards-Knuble line seems stupid at this point).

As for Matt Carle, I think he will be a solid second pairing guy for the next few years and I am very glad we got him. Even though he has struggled a little bit to get on the score sheet, his outlet passes have been exactly what this team needed and he plays pretty solid D.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 10:55 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1200
According to Anthony S., there is a possibility Carle could play against Pittsburgh.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 11:31 AM
BerubeBox*

That would be unreal. But even if he was out for a stretch, holy freakin overreaction in this thread.

The main thing that would suck about it is he was doing SO well, he represented a net improvement on the D, and it was exciting to think what this team would be capable of with actual defensive quality plus depth. But that's not what he was traded for, that was just bonus. He was mainly gotten because Jones and Parent were hurt. Those guys aren't far off from coming back, so it was really perfect timing. No need to go forcing trades when we're 15-4-3 in the last 22.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 11:42 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Beach View Post
As much as I think Sundin is a great player, I think Carter would regress becoming a third center.
Why, he was a third last year?? As long as though shots keep going in it doesnt matter who he plays with and where.

Quote:
Nah, it worked fine. Biron was just sucking arse at the time, and our D blew. Briere on the wing was working perfectly well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post

Quote:
Well, the team has been demonstrably better without Briere...and our scoring has been fine. It isn't like this team was a good even strength team last year either.

Him playing center is clearly not a necessity.
I am not sure the team has been playing better as a result of him being out, but more because they finally got their act together. They still are not good at even strength. I do agree that he worked at wing, the problem was like said above, we became like the Sens. Center, wing or whatever, I never like the philosophy of putting your top 3 offensive players on the same line.

Plus, Briere was still like a -3 or something in those first seveal games at wing if I remember correctly and he was getting burnt in the defensive zone.

He just will never be a good defensive player, its as simple as that. I still think that once this team improves at even strength, his deficiences will not be so glaring.....It isnt like he is the sole reason

Plus, as the post below states, I dont think Metro is good enough to be a 3rd line center for the entire year on a team competing for the cup.....but hey, maybe that is just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
I think Briere at wing could work, but Metropolit just doesn't seem to be able to generate offense and whoever has played on his wing thus far seems to struggle. I say we keep Briere at center for now, pair him with Lupul and Upshall/Nodl and hope that they can generate enough offense to offset their defensive liabilities. If their struggles in our own zone get out of hand, then consider moving Briere to wing (although I'm not sure where he would go, I just don't see Carter and Briere together and breaking up the Gagne-Richards-Knuble line seems stupid at this point).

As for Matt Carle, I think he will be a solid second pairing guy for the next few years and I am very glad we got him. Even though he has struggled a little bit to get on the score sheet, his outlet passes have been exactly what this team needed and he plays pretty solid D.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 11:50 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I am not sure the team has been playing better as a result of him being out, but more because they finally got their act together. They still are not good at even strength. I do agree that he worked at wing, the problem was like said above, we became like the Sens. Center, wing or whatever, I never like the philosophy of putting your top 3 offensive players on the same line.

Plus, Briere was still like a -3 or something in those first seveal games at wing if I remember correctly and he was getting burnt in the defensive zone.

He just will never be a good defensive player, its as simple as that. I still think that once this team improves at even strength, his deficiences will not be so glaring.....It isnt like he is the sole reason

Plus, as the post below states, I dont think Metro is good enough to be a 3rd line center for the entire year on a team competing for the cup.....but hey, maybe that is just me
I forget when they switched it back, but Briere gets exposed far more when he's playing Center and actually responsible for the slot and behind the net defensively. You're setting him up to fail defensively MORE when you put him down there.

Metro has been fine as a 3rd line center, and it isn't like you're creating one super line and nothing else with this team. You're getting our best forwards on the ice as much as possible. Note the line of Gagne-Richards-Briere does not include the guy that is leading this team in goals right now. I also would rather see Briere on Carter's wing...which distributes that even more. Quite honestly, the lines I'd like to see are Gagne-Richards-Lupul (he seems to thrive with Richards), and Knuble/Hartnell-Carter-Briere. Those are two VERY strong lines, and the third line is going to have two good wings to go along with Metro.

Old
12-12-2008, 12:02 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

I never liked the idea of one stacked line. Never did and never will. It just doesnt work. You take off the deph we had, and we are like a sitting duck. Great, we have one super line, but if that line has an off night or nights, then we are screwed. Never put your eggs in one basket.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 12:30 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I never liked the idea of one stacked line. Never did and never will. It just doesnt work. You take off the deph we had, and we are like a sitting duck. Great, we have one super line, but if that line has an off night or nights, then we are screwed. Never put your eggs in one basket.
Super Line: Gagne-Richards-Briere

Best Goal Scorer (who hasn't played with those three all year): Jeff Carter

This "Super Line Theory" is a complete myth when talking about this roster and that line.

Old
12-12-2008, 12:40 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
I forget when they switched it back, but Briere gets exposed far more when he's playing Center and actually responsible for the slot and behind the net defensively. You're setting him up to fail defensively MORE when you put him down there.

Metro has been fine as a 3rd line center, and it isn't like you're creating one super line and nothing else with this team. You're getting our best forwards on the ice as much as possible. Note the line of Gagne-Richards-Briere does not include the guy that is leading this team in goals right now. I also would rather see Briere on Carter's wing...which distributes that even more. Quite honestly, the lines I'd like to see are Gagne-Richards-Lupul (he seems to thrive with Richards), and Knuble/Hartnell-Carter-Briere. Those are two VERY strong lines, and the third line is going to have two good wings to go along with Metro.
If you are putting him on Carter's wing I would be fine with that....still dont like Metro as a 3rd though

But hey, you MUST be right, after all, you are my hero

Old
12-12-2008, 01:19 PM
cechman87*

i went to the practice today and carle looked really well like he wasnt bothered by anything and was shooting the puck hard, him and jones were involved in a scrum drill along the boards for like 10 minutes they both looked good

cechman87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 01:28 PM
Jester

Quote:
If you are putting him on Carter's wing I would be fine with that....still dont like Metro as a 3rd though

But hey, you MUST be right, after all, you are my hero
I mean, you figure we're going to be running Carter and Richards' lines out there for 20+ minutes in close/tight games right now. That doesn't leave a ton of time for Metro and whomever is centering the 4th line that day.

Old
12-12-2008, 01:41 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 0
Quote:
Its too bad Downie is helping to save that Tampa Bay franchise.
oh wait.... nevermind

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 01:44 PM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cechman87 View Post
i went to the practice today and carle looked really well like he wasnt bothered by anything and was shooting the puck hard, him and jones were involved in a scrum drill along the boards for like 10 minutes they both looked good
That is very good news if one or both could make it back soon. I knew Jones was getting closer, but Carle to go from almost on the IR to a game time decision is very good (as long as he doesn't force himself back and gets hurt again).

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 02:17 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
Its too bad Downie is helping to save that Tampa Bay franchise.
oh wait.... nevermind
#99 in his prime couldnt save that franchise right now.....

Old
12-12-2008, 02:26 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
gagne-richards-lupul is a line ive been dying to see all year

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 02:32 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 0
Quote:
#99 in his prime couldnt save that franchise right now.....
and now they are trying to screw Melrose over by not paying him owed money.
all because he spoke his mind and told what alot of us know about Stamkos.
He is not ready for the NHL.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 02:56 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1200
Carle update...
Quote:

http://flyers.nhl.com/team/app/?serv...LPage&id=18891

Carle ready? - Flyers defenseman Matt Carle took part in the team skate today, and declared himself "90 percent" sure he will lace up his skates for Saturday's game.

"Unless there's a huge setback between now and tomorrow morning, and I don't see anything like that happening," he said when asked about the game. "I'll be coming to the rink ready to play tomorrow."

"He felt good, and if all things stay the same, there's a good chance he could play tomorrow," said Stevens.

Carle, who was acquired from the Tampa Bay Lightning on November 8, has a goal and two assists for three points in 12 games with the team since his arrival.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote