HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovalev and FA Article

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2004, 04:20 PM
TroyM

vCash: 500
Kovalev and FA Article

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...07&hubName=nhl

Alexei Kovalev, F, 31, $6.6 million US: Some regarded him as the best player in the game two years ago. After some early struggles in Montreal last March, he had a terrific playoff (10 points in 11 games) and was the No. 1 reason for the Habs' upset over Boston.

But he's not close to signing with anyone right now.

``There's just window shopping going on,'' Kovalev's agent Scott Greenspun said Monday from New York.

There have been several reports linking Kovalev to a return to Pittsburgh, but Greenspun said it was premature to count out a return to Montreal.

``Is Pittsburgh a place that he would play again? Yes,'' Greenspun said. ``But he also has an interest in playing in Montreal and there are some other cities and clubs that he would be interested in playing for if he had a wish list.

``So it's not as though he's targeted Pittsburgh as the only place he wanted to play.''

Well that's certainly reassuring, I'd love him back personally. Although almost all of those people would be great on the Habs

Old
07-20-2004, 09:25 AM
montreal25m

Great article to read

Well I believe BG mentioned if he can't sign kovalev, he will look at other options in acquiring a top six forward. Hopefully he comes back, but who knows.

One player that intrigues me on that list is Anson Carter. Good size, speed etc, good in the corners. Had a horrible season last year but he had nagging injuries from a rib injury to wrist problems. Anyway, he has always been a consistent 50-60 point guy that would look pretty good I think along side Ryder and Riberio. I think he can be had for 1.5 million approx...give him a 2 yr 3.5 mil contract.

If we can't sign Kovalev, I think he would be a decent, cheap replacement till one of Perez or Kast develope.

Old
07-20-2004, 10:06 AM
Alouette_19

Yo can forget Kovalev going to Pittsburgh....They have financial problem and they were able to sign only one UFA...this player is Mark Recchi.

So Montreal is again a front runner for Kovalev but he will not get the big huge money...like a lot of NHL players

Old
07-20-2004, 10:26 AM
BigFatPapa

Being patient is all good and understandable for Kovalev, but I just hope he won't wait 'till the end of the summer and sign somewhere else...I'd rather like him to do so now so we can proceed to further negociations with someone else. While we're waiting for Kovalev to make his mind, the other teams are negociating with all the other top line wingers, so if Kovy finally decides to leave us, but do so a little too late, we'd be a step behind in the UFA run and potential good fits for our team could be lone gone. Personnaly, I think that Kovalev is the perfect fit, but we should be realistic and consider the possibility of him signing elsewhere. Hopefully, BG keeps in touch with some agents, just in case.
Or maybe I'm just getting paranoid...nothing wrong with that, isn't it?

Old
07-20-2004, 06:36 PM
ifesfor*

Anson Carter need to prove himself back.What a horrible season he got.Hes not on my top list

Old
07-20-2004, 06:38 PM
EaGLE1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifesfor
Anson Carter need to prove himself back.What a horrible season he got.Hes not on my top list
He could probably play on 2nd or 3rd line however, and without complaining.

Old
07-20-2004, 10:28 PM
KLu

Send a message via MSN to KLu
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatPapa
Being patient is all good and understandable for Kovalev, but I just hope he won't wait 'till the end of the summer and sign somewhere else...I'd rather like him to do so now so we can proceed to further negociations with someone else. While we're waiting for Kovalev to make his mind, the other teams are negociating with all the other top line wingers, so if Kovy finally decides to leave us, but do so a little too late, we'd be a step behind in the UFA run and potential good fits for our team could be lone gone. Personnaly, I think that Kovalev is the perfect fit, but we should be realistic and consider the possibility of him signing elsewhere. Hopefully, BG keeps in touch with some agents, just in case.
If any simple Hab fan like you and me can think about this possibility, don't you think Bob is taking everything you said in consideration?

I mean, he surely thought about that and I'm pretty sure he had talks with other top forwards (Murray, Kariya ... you know the ones I'm talking about anyway).

With the signing of Brendan Shanahan, I think most of the top players are going to be signed during the next week.

Otherwise we'll have to wait and get up every morning to go on your computer, then open our internet browser to TSN or wichever hockey site you prefer, then if Kovalev is not signed, go to SpectorsHockey for the rumors and read that Kovalev is about to sign for the Penguins(then be depressed all day), then on the other rumor sites and then, on HFboard to look up at Jonny John thread saying that his uncle heard the bus driver say that his neighboor is a close relative to Kovalev agent, and that Kovalev's agent told him that his client was going to sign for the Toronto Toros of the WHA, at 1.5 millions for 3 seasons. Finally, starting this over every hour ...

Last edited by KLu: 07-20-2004 at 10:34 PM.
Old
07-20-2004, 10:47 PM
Badruh

Carter is unconsistent. Didn't he get 3 points in 19 games after joining the Kings to help them make the playoffs?

The best gamble would be Ziggy Palffy. He's young, a scary sniper, and would fit well with Zednik and Koivu. Afterall, he's Slovakian like Zednik. He would replace Kovalev nicely if you ask me.

Old
07-20-2004, 10:51 PM
Badruh

Nevermind. Carter got 1 point in 15 games. Sad...

Old
07-20-2004, 10:51 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badruh
Carter is unconsistent. Didn't he get 3 points in 19 games after joining the Kings to help them make the playoffs?

The best gamble would be Ziggy Palffy. He's young, a scary sniper, and would fit well with Zednik and Koivu. Afterall, he's Slovakian like Zednik. He would replace Kovalev nicely if you ask me.
He would, if you had 7 million to spend. Problem is the habs dont.

Old
07-20-2004, 11:14 PM
oli500

You know who I would love to see in a hab uniform if we cant sign kovalev. Brett Hull. We missed out on him two years ago when he went over to detroit. But now that we have Bob Gainey as our GM and that hes work with brett in the past I think it could be realistic. I know hes 39 but I think he could be a great leader for this team and with his past resumer hes a winner and will bring a winning attitude to this team.

Old
07-20-2004, 11:20 PM
AEKaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alouette_19
Yo can forget Kovalev going to Pittsburgh....They have financial problem and they were able to sign only one UFA...this player is Mark Recchi.

So Montreal is again a front runner for Kovalev but he will not get the big huge money...like a lot of NHL players

Actually if you follow the news, the Pens want to sign him and a center (Zhamnov or Stumpel). They have the money now because the slots thing is almost a done deal.

Old
07-21-2004, 08:12 AM
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. kØUkLØs
Actually if you follow the news, the Pens want to sign him and a center (Zhamnov or Stumpel). They have the money now because the slots thing is almost a done deal.
I still don't think they can afford Kovalev. Seems to me they had about 6 million to spend in the offseason, and they decided to get a couple of 3 million dollar players instead of one more expensive player. Good call too, if you ask me. Recchi and Zhamnov are going to be much better for the pens than just Kovalev would be.

Old
07-21-2004, 08:31 AM
ljg65

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatPapa

Nothing wrong at all. Don't forget what happened with Brett Hull a few years ago.
I hope Kovalev is not another Hull.

Old
07-21-2004, 11:02 AM
montreal25m

Anson Carter again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifesfor

I agree he has something to prove..he is a proud individual and i am sure he will do so. From what I read, he had a wrist and rib injury. We all know how wrist injuries can effect a player (ie Souray). Put it this way, you can't shoot the puck without your wrist being healthy. Rib injuries, we all know how painful that can be.

Before last year, he was a solid second line player for edmonton for 3 years. He is still relatively young at 30. If healthy, I expect him to rebound.

Old
07-21-2004, 11:52 AM
bopeep

If they're not a distraction in the dressing room and buy into the system I'm not against signing an UFA as long as the price is right. We just don't need any overpaid prima donnas on this team anymore. It would be a step backwards IMO. I'd be prepared to go into as is.

Old
07-21-2004, 12:22 PM
bopeep

Jason Allison might be a consideration - health issues included in contract

Old
07-21-2004, 05:48 PM
Legolas

I like that Kovalev is not in any serious talks. If the $4.5 million offer that we supposedly made to him is still our offer, we're completely competitive with any other team. I think if we lose on anything it may be his unwillingness to play in Julien's system, but if we promise that he'll play with Koivu and Zednik again then obviously that won't be a concern...I like our chances still...

I think the UFA's will be slow to sign, especially after the meeting between the NHL and NHLPA, depending on what happens there. If it's another doom and gloom meeting, then nobody will be in a hurry to sign anybody in the top tier, and if anything it may force some UFA's to hurry up and sign.

I still haven't heard anything definitive on whether contracts will even be honoured next year so for now, we're looking good.

Closed Thread