HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT: Flames @ Red Wings, Game 29

View Poll Results: Who/What was the Flames' MVP tonight?
Curtis McElhinney 28 96.55%
Craig Conroy 1 3.45%
David Moss 0 0%
The PK 0 0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-10-2008, 10:12 PM
Hyde

vCash: 500
PGT: Flames @ Red Wings, Game 29

Fire Away.....

Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 10:18 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

The result was a heartbreaker, but the Flames played a good road game and were at least able to steal a point. Not bad for a team that got into Detroit at 4:00am and played the previous night.

MVP is Curtis McElhinney.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 10:20 PM
sonetlumiere

that hurt.. mcE plays an amazing game and our d lets him down in the final 25.. not much more can be said, although i was surprised at how resilient we were after taking a tough loss in mtl, not but 24 hours prior..

sonetlumiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 10:22 PM
GoFlames

I agree with that, McElhinny got my vote. What an outstanding game by him and it was a total heart breaker... wish he got the win. But besides that we did get a point and had a good road trip and the team played great tonight.

Kudos for a great PK

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 10:26 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
it obviously matters, because i cant recall a time an under-achieving player was awarded a start on the first line.. sure the guy can play great d and lead our youngsters out there, but he hasn't shown any type of offensive skill since '05. its pretty clear keenan wanted to grind out the win, but sooner or later an offensively talented team like detroit is gonna make you pay..

now PLEASE tell me what im "completely oblivious" too?
you showed that you are completely in this post alone...

you don't seem to understand the value of having a center who is good on faceoffs and better defnsively on the ice with Iginla when he is matched up with Lidstrom... you don't seem to get that Conroy is not underachieving... he is not a goal scoring forward he has never been there to score goals... he is on pace for 40ish points in a 3rd line role... that is good production from your 3rd line center... but again I must reiterate... CONROY WAS CENTERING THE TOP LINE BECAUSE OF HIS DEFENSE AND FACEOFFS... that is why Conroy was the center tonight and not in other games recently... is it that hard for you to grasp?...

would simple math make it easier?

better defense = less scoring chances
less scoring chances = less goals against
less goals against = better chance at winning

against Detroit sometimes you are better off playing a defense first system... that is why he was there with Iginla and Cammalleri... not because of his ability to score goals...

all this ^^^^^^^^^^^ is what you are oblivious to

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 10:30 PM
Hyde

The Flames played with a ton of heart tonight and man did they look tired at the end...just gassed.

Who here thought before this road trip the Flames would finish +.500?

Old
12-10-2008, 10:30 PM
Lanny'sDaMan

Third Period
The third period was bit worse for the Flames. The fatigue of the games last night and the late travel was starting to show. The Flames stopped playing their solid defensive game and opened up a bit, and Detroit took advantage of it. The period started great as the Flames were playing smart and patient defense. Then it slowly unraveled as the Flames got tired and starting making bad decisions. Not a horrible period, but certainly the worst of the night.
The power play was much much improved that period with solid pressure and great battles to keep the puck in the offensive zone. The ever maligned Aucoin in particular deserves a large amount of credit for the success of the PP unit that period with his amazing play to keep the play alive and get the puck to Dion who sent it in on net for Moss to bang home the rebound. The PK was, as we have come to expect absolutely flawless. The puck support was solid and everyone was making excellent dump shots to clear the zone.
One bad rebound and a bad shift where everyone got caught running around in their own zone and Detroit tuies the game up and sends it to overtime. McElhinney can only be blamed for one goal tonight and that was the Zetterburg goal. Heholds that puck and this game never gets to extra time. Other than that this was an amazing performance by our back up. Moss again had a fantastic period and is ever the solid player. I expect many great things from him yet

Overtime
Good flow, but it was all Detroit, with a couple Flames chances. Tobasco was again the story as he simply stood on his head for the greater pert of the extra frame. And that shot by Lidstrom was a howitzer and no Fault of McE’s that it went it.

Overall Impressions
Well everyone expected the Flames to get their buttocks handed to them on a silver platter. The Flames certainly did not feel that way and really made a solid statement about what kind of a team they are. They took one point here tonight and deserved two in my opinion. This was a fantastic game, and if the Flames had of been able to maintain their energy though out the entire game they would have taken it. I am getting more and more excited about this team as they continue to play good solid hockey game in and game out. Consistent efforts and in my opinion this team can win against anyone in the league right now.
I cannot extol the play of McElhinney highly enough. He was absolutely brilliant tonight. He made saves that were Vezina worthy!! Now I’m not suggesting he should receive any nominations, but it’s easy to see who our next number one will be after Miikka retires. Bertuzzi’s play was much improved tonight and he actually shot on net!! Granted they didn’t go in, but he was making the smart shots and that’s a step in the right direction.

Three Stars By Me
1. Nicklas Lidstrom
2. Curtis McElhinney
3. Adrian Aucoin

Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 10:44 PM
serratedmuffin

Lanny, McE is on a one year contract and we are still grooming irving in the minors for another two years, with Kipper's contract being 5 years....I'd love for him to stay and prove himself to take more games for himself. The fact remains he's 25 and in his physical prime. I dont see him staying in calgary past this year, although I'd be happy to be wrong.
Feel free to comment, criticize or correct me.

serratedmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 10:50 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Tough loss for the boys tonight. They played great and showed a lot of heart. Just simply ran out of gas in the third period.

McElhinney was amazing. Really unfortunate we couldn't hold the lead and get him his first win. Should give Keenan more confidence to play him a bit more and give Kipper more breaks during the season.

Good roadtrip for the flames and hopefully they can come back home and continue to play well.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 10:53 PM
Lanny'sDaMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by serratedmuffin View Post
Lanny, McE is on a one year contract and we are still grooming irving in the minors for another two years, with Kipper's contract being 5 years....I'd love for him to stay and prove himself to take more games for himself. The fact remains he's 25 and in his physical prime. I dont see him staying in calgary past this year, although I'd be happy to be wrong.
Feel free to comment, criticize or correct me.
Well him being on a one year contract not withstanding, I think he made one hell of a case for himself to receive an extension. Granted it's only one game, but if this is the level of tending we can expect from him, my hope is that Sutter locks him up for 4 years at a nice reasonable rate.

Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 10:58 PM
Hyde

I just want to reiterate that I am not disappointed with tonights game so much as I feel bad for the players. Really one should only look at the positive results ().

The Flames were a tired team that came close to being a very well rested Red Wings Team.

Really, the more I think about it, I do believe it was maybe their best game of the season!

Old
12-10-2008, 11:02 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
Really, the more I think about it even though the Flames I think it was maybe their best game of the season!

I disagree with that, but it was a good effort.

Last edited by StreakingRed: 12-11-2008 at 02:07 AM.
StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 11:14 PM
Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
I disagree with that, but it was a good effort.
Which is your right SR, though let me state why I think this was the Flame best game yet of this season.

The Wings are the second best team in the NHL and the Flames won the battles tonight. I give the Wings full credit they played through it and got the goals at the end of the game.

Yet one should mention the the Flames were playing their fourth game in six nights with their backup in net. One should also mention they were getting chances throughout. They came pretty close to getting the winner once in OT and a couple times towards the end of regulation (though gassed). They could have just have easily won tonight.

They showed a ton of heart and not once did they give up...that why I am calling this game. Their best of the Season (so far).

Old
12-10-2008, 11:18 PM
Grannys

Not much of a contest here even thought the team played well, MVP goes to Mc!!

I only caught the last period but it seemed like he kept the Flames in it many many times and they showed some early game saves by him and that was definitely the case.

Ill definitely also take 1 point againts the Wings. Even though we should of beat them... the team was just getting tired in the 3rd and the Wings put on some intense pressure.

3 points from play 3 very very tough teams... I say thats darn good. Good especially when I was worried the Flames might not come out of this road trip with any points.

The team looks awesome and Im actually really enjoying watching Flames games. Well I always enjoy watching my team but usually its a very worrysome event...

Grannys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 11:25 PM
Chileiceman

I just got back from the game. You guys played very, especially in the first wher the Flames were clearly the better team. After that the Wings woke up a bit. Calgary was probably fatigued and it showed a bit. Mcelhiny (sp?) was unbelievable out there. Phanef also played a very good game I thought.

Even though I don't like the Flames very much, I was cheering for you guys, just because I hate the Wings. Plus where I was sitting the people were mostly cheering for the Flames so it kind of rubbed off.

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 11:33 PM
Phaneufed
Thrashers Fly 4ever

The type of loss that you can handle. Flames played incredible the first two periods, but fatigue got to them in the third, I guess that's what playing back to back games, arriving at Detroit at 4:00 am and playing the 2nd best team in the league does to you.

MVP obviously goes to Fort Mac (anyone else like this nickname?), I never knew he was so good.

Phaneufed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 11:43 PM
sonetlumiere

fort mac's actually pretty ill..

lol why's his nickname tobasco anyways?

sonetlumiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 11:46 PM
GoFlames

Cause McElhinney or something like that is a brand of tobasco sauce

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 12:10 AM
Grub
First Line Troll

I thought the flames had it when Moss scored. Flames always seem to put a lot of pucks on net but they let up after Moss scored.

Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 01:08 AM
Pomeranian

wow. woulda liked the win of course. But. I thought for 2nd game in a row, getting in at 4 a.m. they were damn impressive! I enjoyed the game, loved our Mac backup! Thought our team gave it their all! Loved Moss. But I give love to Connie cause so many don't. and he gave it his all.......

Pomeranian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 01:32 AM
Noori

vCash: 1638
Fort Mac ha, that's clever. Tobasco...eh- not so much.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 02:31 AM
fetalposition

Great game tonight, the flames are my second fav. team (born and raised in calgary) so it was a perfect game for me (teams splitting 3 points with the wings getting 2). Curtis played outstanding and the whole team playing far better than a team who gets into the city at 4AM has a right to play, Very good night for the flames and the pvr will be set for me to watch the flames beat the panthers on friday after I watch the wings beat the stars!!

fetalposition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 03:26 AM
Oblivion

Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 07:27 AM
AndersEriksson*

How can you vote McElhinney for MVP when he cost us the game? What a sieve.

AndersEriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote