HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Hollywood

Old
12-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
And, I don't find many "a-holes" on the Kings board. Just a great bunch of posters - many of whom I consider to be good friends.
Yeah Belmont Shore is fine.. first murder since 1993. I was just shocked because I go there every once in a while.

Most of the people around here felt bad (about the guy who got shot). There were only a couple of people on here that were questioning his story. I don't even know the guy but I just thought it was extremely callous to be asking for proof. If you don't believe the guy, is it necessary to even respond? I ended up going on lapdcrimemaps.org and found that an aggravated assault took place at the date, time and area he said he was in (case number as well). Kinda funny how nobody ever responded to that post.

This doesn't corroborate his story but it certainly proves that this type of think isn't uncommon for that area. With the economy turning, it is only a matter of time before crime rates start creeping up again. Murders have steadily decreased since the 90's. Last year was the first time in over 30 years that there were less than 400 murders in a year. This year LA is on pace to have less than 300 murders. That is a dramatic difference from the 80's and 90's. We still need more police officers and better trained ones as well.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 11:47 AM
Omni Owl

I'll only venture to Hollywood if there's a good show at the Troubador, but that's West Hollywood, so you mostly have to watch your butt. Hope your friend recover's Darth.

Omni Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 01:35 PM
nikolai19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Riseandfall was shot in Hollywood. I've been in 5+ fights down there. Not only are the people who frequent down there douches, but so are the cops.
Ever been to Huntington Beach? The cops are great down there.

nikolai19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 01:36 PM
nikolai19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
A good buddy of mine was coming back from an Improv night in Hollywood and he got attacked from behind. Somebody came up and hit him in the head. And, then when he was down on the ground they robbed him. My friend is going to be OK, but his face is all cut up and his eye is hemorrhaging.

This is the second terrible incident to happen to a friend in that part of town during the last few weeks.

My advice to all of you - stay the freak out of Hollywood. That part of town was always dicey but it is just going downhill in a hurry lately.
Hope your friend is okay Darth.

I dread having to go to LA at all anymore.

nikolai19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 02:16 AM
ExplosionsintheGine

You know—there are some good areas in Hollywood.

My brother lives there and I visit him all the time.

ExplosionsintheGine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 09:44 AM
Defgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadieJr78 View Post
You know—there are some good areas in Hollywood.

My brother lives there and I visit him all the time.
Really? Where?

I used to have Hollywood as part of my work area. It was neat to see movies being filmed and some of the costumed characters, but there was a lot of places I hated going. Not a place I'd like to live in at all.

Hope your friend is ok (OP).

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 09:49 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolai19 View Post
Ever been to Huntington Beach? The cops are great down there.
I like cops. And usually they like me, but the Nazi's in Huntington are ridiculous.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 12:20 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I like cops. And usually they like me, but the Nazi's in Huntington are ridiculous.
+1

They go way overboard in HB

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 12:25 PM
Johnny Utah

The problem with Hollywood is that more and more clubs open and they don't really card. You get tons of tourists and people from inland places like the 909 (no offense)....add to that the crackheads, homeless, and paparazzi and you have a big mess.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 01:16 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
The problem with Hollywood is that more and more clubs open and they don't really card. You get tons of tourists and people from inland places like the 909 (no offense)....add to that the crackheads, homeless, and paparazzi and you have a big mess.
You forgot all the cholos and other gangbangers that still try and cruise in Hollywood.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 02:37 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFanInRI View Post
First off, Darth, I hope your friend is okay.

My favorite story about Hollywood whenever anyone out here says "Oh, Hollywood must be so glamorous..." is about the time in 1990 when I worked at this 11-watt radio station on Sunset. I parked out on the street and noticed this dude leaning on the building. I didn't think much of it until I noticed him wincing and seeming to be in a bit of pain. You wanna know why? Dude was dropping a doogan right there on the sidewalk. The capper was the fact that there was no Charmin handy so he grabbed the next best thing... the Times. At least he got something right.
That reminds me, when I went to the Game 3 against the Wings in that great series just before the Stunner at Staples, my dad and I were waiting for the light at the Wilshire exit off the 118 fwy. We look over to our right, and a homeless guy grabs a free newspaper, drops his shorts and takes a dump right there, 5 feet from our car. My dad looked to me and said, "You know what the worse part about this is? If the Kings win tonight, a homeless guy ******** on the curb is good luck!"... turns out homeless guys ******** on the curb is good luck, who'da thunk it?

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 03:08 PM
The Hegemony Consul
Serial Ruminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
+1

It's odd; I hear this all the time, but I lived in/bordering HB for a sum-total of nearly 7 years, and I never once had a problem with the cops there (nor did any of my freinds/close acquaitences from the area). Now, IRVINE is a different story altogether...

Darth, best wishes to your friend!

The Hegemony Consul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 03:16 PM
Johnny Utah

Cops in San Diego are the worst. I got a ticket once and I wanted to choke the guy he was such a dick. Then when I was in school I worked as a door man in the Gas Lamp and even though they were on our side, they were still dicks.

I think the cops in Irvine are fine....as long as you are white or asian....anything else and you are probably in trouble sad to say...but that's probably the same case for most of the OC....

Old
12-12-2008, 03:25 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Santa Barbera cops are the worst I've experienced in the west. Nothing to do. L.A. cops aren't that bad most of the time because they generally know there is a violent crime going on somewhere else and piddly stuff isn't always worth their time. SB cops are out to hassle anything that moves. It also doesn't help that their streets are layed out like crap and there many of the one-way signs are behind bushes/trees or in pitch black at night. God I hate that place.

Old
12-12-2008, 03:51 PM
ciccarelli80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
+1

They're ok with you if you're a local, Costa Mesa PD on the other hand...

ciccarelli80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 03:57 PM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Quote:
Cops in San Diego are the worst. I got a ticket once and I wanted to choke the guy he was such a dick. Then when I was in school I worked as a door man in the Gas Lamp and even though they were on our side, they were still dicks.

I think the cops in Irvine are fine....as long as you are white or asian....anything else and you are probably in trouble sad to say...but that's probably the same case for most of the OC....
"Don't call it that."

I tried to resist making the reference, especially since it has nothing to do with the thread, but I couldn't, apparently I'm weak willed. Continue with the thread.

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 03:58 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
L.A. cops aren't that bad most of the time because they generally know there is a violent crime going on somewhere else and piddly stuff isn't always worth their time.
I work in Downtown LA and cops down here regularly give out j-walking tickets. I've yet to see it at Staples but I see it all the time on 7th and Fig by the 7th Street metro center (other places too). If the little red hand has shown up, don't walk across the street or they'll give you a ticket. I've literally seen cops on all four corners of an intersection all handing out multiple tickets at the same time. Unbelievable. I'd advise people to be careful crossing the street in downtown.

Old
12-12-2008, 04:00 PM
Johnny Utah

It's good to know cops are giving out pedestrian tickets while USC kids are getting sexually assaulted, stabbed and occasionally shot downtown. I hate cops.

Old
12-12-2008, 04:02 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

I hate jaywalking tickets the most. I only know one person whose gotten one in L.A. and it happened in downtown. The end of the month is always a bad time to be, well, anywhere in L.A. No quotas my foot.

Old
12-12-2008, 04:10 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
It's good to know cops are giving out pedestrian tickets while USC kids are getting sexually assaulted, stabbed and occasionally shot downtown. I hate cops.
I don't hate cops but I hate the way the system is set up. Cops are doing a job like anyone else. It is the people above them that usually dictate what they do on a given day. The more tickets they write, the more people they put in jail, the more it looks like the are making the streets safer and it helps politicians get elected and all the other bureaucrats as well. The state depends of revenue from traffic fines and I wouldn't doubt if there is an order right now try and write more tickets given the financial problems the state government is having.

If you haven't heard Adam Corolla's rant on cops and "chicken 's' tickets", you should because it is dead on and hilarious.

Old
12-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Matt13

I got pulled over by a CHP motorcop once.

At the time my truck was rolling "KINGS22" on the plate (huge Conroy fan )

As the Chippy handed me the ticket I said, "You must be a Ducks fan".

My girlfriend looked at me like, what the hell are you doing.

The Chippy looked at me and said "I am just not a fan of speeders".

Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 05:07 PM
hans

Send a message via AIM to hans

hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 05:28 PM
ciccarelli80

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans View Post
I saw someone at the game yesterday with the same style shirt as that Kings hat in the photo. Are those still available?

ciccarelli80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 05:38 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciccarelli80 View Post
I saw someone at the game yesterday with the same style shirt as that Kings hat in the photo. Are those still available?
I'd say that is from about 1990-93. I've seen stuff on ebay from that era and actually bought a huge banner for like 4 bucks on there. That is your best chance to find something like that.

Old
12-12-2008, 05:59 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Going back to the COPS references, I deal with cops from all over, and they will lie and act like jerks in all jurisdictions, because they know they can get away with it, for the most part. But, quite recently two LA cops got taken to task for lying in their report saying that they observed a certain defendant commit a crime and that he then admitted to it upon aprehension. His public defender believed him and subpoenaed the security tapes from the Dodger game that night proving that the defendant couldn't have been at the crime scene as he was at Dodger stadium, as he claimed. Just like dogs will sniff, COPS LIE.

Now are there areas wherre the Cops are worse than others, you bet. Most of Orange County Cops are racist, but the Temple City sheriffs are as close to a gang as you could find, but this gang has badges and legally carries guns.

As for the Chicken S*** violations like J-walking or traffic cops who hide to catch violators, once I know I am getting a ticket for sure I let them have it. Once, a motorcycle cop who tried to get me for speeding (I saw him first before he could pace me) wrote me up for having no front plate and then said "have a nice day. I told him as he was tearing my copy of the ticket off "I hope you fall off your motorcycle."
His jaw almost hit the ground.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote