HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Montreal isn't all that bad

Old
12-12-2008, 10:23 AM
HotHabsFan*

vCash: 500
Montreal isn't all that bad

Imagine how you guys would react if, say we were Dallas fans ? Last in the Western conference with the great expectations they had this year. Let's just think that our team will peak when it counts April May June.

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Mcfly11

Of course Montreal isn't that bad. We have the second best record in the conference when you take games played into account.

Mcfly11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 10:31 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
Imagine how you guys would react if, say we were Dallas fans ? Last in the Western conference with the great expectations they had this year. Let's just think that our team will peak when it counts April May June.
Who said they were bad?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 10:33 AM
gusfring

Quote:
What makes you think we will peak in April?

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 10:35 AM
evilstanley

theyre not playing BAD-- theyre just not playing GOOD either---

if anything they're playing inconsistently.... even more frustrating... never know what team is going to show up the next period.

evilstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 10:49 AM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Who said they were bad?
LOL at least 95% of yours and others posts.

Old
Le Tricolore
Franchise Players

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcfly11 View Post
Of course Montreal isn't that bad. We have the second best record in the conference when you take games played into account.
Which is why putting up a performance like last night's is so frustrating.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I just want cohesion, chemistry, pride and warrior like mentality.

We've been getting by on great goaltending and individual efforts and skill.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post

confidence in my team. a real fan through thick and thin. not a bandwaggoner.

Old
12-12-2008, 10:50 AM
Jakomyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilstanley View Post
theyre not playing BAD-- theyre just not playing GOOD either---
What do you define as 'GOOD'? Any one game can be an ugly win, but when a team consistently finds a way to win games, and the Habs are what, 5th out of 30 teams right now, then they are playing good overall. Just because they aren't scoring 2-3 pretty goals a game and aren't dominating every possible statistical category, doesn't mean they are playing 'BAD'.

Its like some people don't realize just how much better we would have to be to consistently dominate every team we play, which often seems to be the expectation. There is a lot of parity in this league, so the fact that we seem to be able to consistently put away teams like Detroit, Calgary, etc. is actually pretty damn impressive, even if we do have some off games.

I echo the OP on this one... Imagine if this team pulled a Dallas this year? We'd have people racing each other to jump off the roof of the BigO.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 10:53 AM
HabsHockey

I love my Habs, i think we're pretty damn good.

HabsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 10:58 AM
Kosikarzzz

Send a message via MSN to Kosikarzzz Send a message via Skype™ to Kosikarzzz
Habs are a real good team IMO and there will be ups & downs in every season.

East is wide open with Bos, MTL, Wash, Pitts and Philly a fight to the finish for 1st place.

I projected Washington #1 at the start of the season and they could have been there if it wasn't for all those injuries.

Kosikarzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 11:14 AM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Montreal isn't bad , they are just playing badly !

Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 11:16 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Habs have too much class to kick teams when they're down.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 11:21 AM
MTL-rules

Well, it depends of the day, last night they were horrible and against the Rags or Detroit, the best team in the league... and that's the problem...

You are not one of the best team in the league if you can't have some stability.

The good news is that this team is highly talented and there's still a lot of hockey to be played before the playoffs... but, right now, this team can't even think about winning the cup... well, depending of the night...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 11:22 AM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead View Post
I love my Habs, i think we're pretty damn good.
+1 here.

Also - this year the habs are playing against adversity on many levels:

1. Our goalies, though generally reliable, did not steal more then one-two games. Remember Huet last season and the season before, the number of first stars he got. It's easy to be on the top of the conference when your goalie has a .96%

2. Injuries - man, are we paying for last year too or what? Komisarek, Koivu, Higgins, Dandenault, Markov and his teeth, Tanguay, AKost, Laraque etc.

3. Sheer bad luck. Yes we had it and I trust Carbonneau when he says - "we have just as many chances to score - but the puck does not go in". We had very few breaks (as in "lucky goals"). Our PP is playng well, but they just can't score. That's bad luck in my book, part of the game anyway.

So - even through all this adversity, we still found a way to gathe more points then last year at the same time. Thie bad luckis bound to stop at some point and imagine what will happen then.

I don't want the Habs to storm the regular season - I want them to be clear minded and prepared for adversity in the PO. No better way to build character then go through this kind of experiences.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 11:22 AM
Andy

Habs can go 81-1-0 and for that one game people will ***** and say they suck. The problem isn't consistency, every team struggles with consistency every year besides 2 or 3 teams. The real problem is the expectations of the fans and the fact that they want to show their hockey knowledge by complaining about every facet of a game even if we win 8-2, they'll find something wrong about those two goals.

Pittsburgh had consistency problems last year until Fleury and Crosby got hurt in late December and they made it to the finals. Ottawa was terrible from october to early december two years ago, they had two five game losing streaks in that span and still got it together for a great cup run.

The fans are expecting too much from the team that hasn't found their identity yet. We're a better team at this time than we were last year and it wasn't until January where they took off. Komesarek, Koivu and Higgins are out, if people are still expecting wins every game, then you might as well stop watching the games.

Habs are a good team and they haven't found their identity yet, just wait until that happens.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 11:25 AM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFly View Post
Habs can go 81-1-0 and for that one game people will ***** and say they suck. The problem isn't consistency, every team struggles with consistency every year besides 2 or 3 teams. The real problem is the expectations of the fans and the fact that they want to show their hockey knowledge by complaining about every facet of a game even if we win 8-2, they'll find something wrong about those two goals.

Pittsburgh had consistency problems last year until Fleury and Crosby got hurt in late December and they made it to the finals. Ottawa was terrible from october to early december two years ago, they had two five game losing streaks in that span and still got it together for a great cup run.

The fans are expecting too much from the team that hasn't found their identity yet. We're a better team at this time than we were last year and it wasn't until January where they took off. Komesarek, Koivu and Higgins are out, if people are still expecting wins every game, then you might as well stop watching the games.

Habs are a good team and they haven't found their identity yet, just wait until that happens.
this is my point.

Old
12-12-2008, 11:33 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
+1 here.

2. Injuries - man, are we paying for last year too or what? Komisarek, Koivu, Higgins, Dandenault, Markov and his teeth, Tanguay, AKost, Laraque etc.
I'm sick of hearing that excuse... We don't have any problem with injuries...

Except Komisarek, we didn't have any significant injury... it's always a game or two, never on a long period of time... (who cares about Dandy injury?)

You want to see a team with injury concern? Go see Pittsburg losing their 2 best defencemen for several months,

or Washington losing out Green and Semin for 10 games, while injuries to other important pieces like Federov, Clark, etc.

How about St-Louis? Kariya, McDonald, Johnson...

This is such a piss poor excuse... just like the Bruins last year... they miss Bergeron long time, that's all, after that it was only minor injuries there and than...

You'll see the day (and I hope it never comes) that we lose Markov, Price and Koivu for a month, how really the injury bug can bite you in the ass...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 11:39 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
I'm sick of hearing that excuse... We don't have any problem with injuries...

Except Komisarek, we didn't have any significant injury... it's always a game or two, never on a long period of time... (who cares about Dandy injury?)
Dandy as much as I hate to say it has been playing well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
You'll see the day (and I hope it never comes) that we lose Markov, Price and Koivu for a month, how really the injury bug can bite you in the ass...
*Knock on wood*

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 11:42 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Which is why putting up a performance like last night's is so frustrating.
Bingo. With the way the team played the last couple of weeks vs good teams like Detroit, NYR and Calgary, losing the way they did to the worst team in the league who played the night before and arrived in MTL in the morning is unacceptable. However, the season is young and the last 3 seasons showed us that it's not how you play in November-December that counts but how you play in Feb-Mar-Apr.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 11:45 AM
la25ecoupe

lOOK AT HOW pENGUINS KILLED iSLANDERS WITH 9-2 . hABS CAN'T DO THAT..

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 11:47 AM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanylapep View Post
lOOK AT HOW pENGUINS KILLED iSLANDERS WITH 9-2 . hABS CAN'T DO THAT..

Cap locks huh ? and to respond to your post, yes they can and yes they will.

Old
12-12-2008, 11:56 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
History.

Seems to be a recurring theme for a few years now, the Habs to struggle mid-season and go on a tear in the end.

In general though, much as we like to rant about how bad the Habs have been (or, often, merely about how bad they've looked)... there are 20+ teams in the league who'd love to have their problems.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 11:59 AM
neofury*

u guys wud complain if the habs went 81-0-1, u'd complain about the one SOL if it happened no joke.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote