HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Potential of Halak

Old
12-11-2008, 07:19 PM
Dark Knight
ScorchedEarthRebuild

vCash: 500
Potential of Halak

Just asking Habs fans what the potential of Halak is in their eyes?

Can he be a legit number 1 in the league or is he just a 1B in your mind ?

His high end potential ?

Anyone, please and thank you !

Dark Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Magic33

Personally, when I see him play, he sometimes looks rusty/shaky. However, I attribute that entirely to his lack of playing time. I think if he were a teams number 1 goalie, and was able to get into a good rhythm, and easily become a good number 1.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 07:31 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
He is without a doubt a Legit #1 goalie. A huge threat if playing on the right team. He tore up the AHL, and now hes playing really well considering he spends most of his time on the bench. Hes definately a 1a Goalie.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

He's a legit #1 goalie. He left in a softy (but Price's last game, his first goal against was a softy as well).

He's a great goalie, who looks shaky sometimes at the beginning of games because of his lack of playing time.

Every league he's ever played in, he's been a great goalie. Including the NHL so far.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 07:40 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Still gives wayyyyy too many rebounds.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 07:43 PM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Agreed. Alot of his save in the last game were second chance saves because of poor rebound control. We get spoiled with a guy like Price because he makes it look so easy.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 11:13 PM
Travis Moen

Habs fans have a tendancy to overrate goalies. Some were even convinced once that Aebisher was a good goalie.

Travis Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 11:32 PM
Next Best Thing*

I can only compare him to Carey Price, and it's night... 'n day..

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 11:34 PM
TheGoalJudge

Too small to be a top tier goalie. His potential is a middle of the round starting goalie IMO.

TheGoalJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 11:35 PM
Pr3Va1L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I don't see what you're talking about?

Pr3Va1L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 11:40 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

He's had more bad and "okay" games then great ones this season, still has many "?" all over him. He's playing well as an NHL backup, but the potential to be a starter is up in the air and saying that he's a legit #1 at this point is like picking a needle in a haystack because there are so many variables that aren't clear about Halak, yet.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 11:49 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kostopoulos View Post
Habs fans have a tendancy to overrate goalies. Some were even convinced once that Aebisher was a good goalie.
Kinda hard not to. I mean, just in the last 10 years, we've gone through Theodore, Vokoun, Huet, Garon and Price. In between that, Hackett, Danis (now in Long Island) and Aebischer. Not bad I'd say. I wonder how many other teams have gone through good-to-great goalies like we have.

Anyway, Jaroslav. Jaroslav has the potential to be a number one goaltender, but in today's volatile market for goalies, I wouldn't say he could nail down a job anywhere he'd go. I wouldn't say he is Ilya Bryzgalov or Vesa Toskala potential, but maybe in the middle like Tim Thomas, Mathieu Garon and Alex Auld, where he could be waiting a long time for a team to finally rely on him, and when they do, they could see some great things out of it. So yeah, the potential is certainly there.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 12:46 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Kinda hard not to. I mean, just in the last 10 years, we've gone through Theodore, Vokoun, Huet, Garon and Price. In between that, Hackett, Danis (now in Long Island) and Aebischer. Not bad I'd say. I wonder how many other teams have gone through good-to-great goalies like we have.

Anyway, Jaroslav. Jaroslav has the potential to be a number one goaltender, but in today's volatile market for goalies, I wouldn't say he could nail down a job anywhere he'd go. I wouldn't say he is Ilya Bryzgalov or Vesa Toskala potential, but maybe in the middle like Tim Thomas, Mathieu Garon and Alex Auld, where he could be waiting a long time for a team to finally rely on him, and when they do, they could see some great things out of it. So yeah, the potential is certainly there.
Tim Thomas is leading or close to leading the NHL in several categories.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 12:50 PM
m00ks

Awesome reflexes but gives too many rebounds and finds himself scrambling to find or cover that lose puck. Still a very young goalie and has bright years ahead of him but has to address this issue. He has to look bigger in his crease, seems like he leaves a lot of open net top shelf.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 12:53 PM
Roulin

IMO, Halak is already is a #1 quality goalie as far as his performance, he just happens to be stuck behind a better one. It would be pretty easy to name 5-10 teams where he could step in and be their #1 right away.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 12:55 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

IMHO, Halak biggest question mark regarding his ability to become a #1, is that he hasn't played more than 28 games during a season since he turned pro. That's not a lot.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 01:05 PM
Riverboat Gambler

Wednesday, I'd have said he could project to a #1 guy. Today, I'd say he's a solid back-up or a serviceable tandem guy.

With young players, goalies especially, consistency is the issue. Halak has the ability to play at a high level. At this point he doesn't do that consistently (played well Tuesday, not so much Thursday). He was able to play well consistetnly in lower-levels of hockey, including the AHL level, and has show spurts in the NHL.

Realistically, its' too early/he's too inexperienced to tell with any degree of certainty. He's got some proving to do.

Riverboat Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 06:14 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Tim Thomas is leading or close to leading the NHL in several categories.
My point was that it took forever for Boston to finally rely on the guy. I've actually been a fan of Thomas for a while now, been calling him "Gump" for a few years. Fat goalies are awesome. Anyway, my point was, even last season when Boston should have been confident with giving Thomas the starting role, they went out and got Fernandez.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote