HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Murphy's Law: Were the Habs gauging trade value of Komisarek?

Old
12-12-2008, 02:11 PM
hockeyscribe22
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Murphy's Law: Were the Habs gauging trade value of Komisarek?

They also obviously miss the leadership and toughness of defenseman Mike Komisarek and that leads us to ask why a reliable source told Murphy’s Law that talks have still not begun between Bob Gainey and the Komisarek camp on a new contract? Or better yet, and we’re investigating more on this, why Habs management may have sent feelers out on Komisarek’s trade value recently? This scribe finds that very hard to believe, considering they made Komisarek an Assistant Coach for a few games and obviously value his presence. But could it be that Gainey believes he may have difficult time re-signing the rugged rearguard? We will monitor this one closely.

http://insidehockey.com/blog/feeling_lightning

Happy Holidays!

Slainte,

Murph

hockeyscribe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 02:43 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I would probably be inclined to just downgrade the reliability of my source in this instance, and leave it at that.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 02:56 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I'm sure stuff like that happens more than we know. All things being equal I hope Komi is back in a Habs uniform next year and beyond.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 03:00 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I'm sure stuff like that happens more than we know. All things being equal I hope Komi is back in a Habs uniform next year and beyond.
Since we know nothing, I definitely agree with you. And that said, if I was an NHL GM, I'd probably talk about basically all the players on my team all the time anyway, even if I had no real plan or expectation of trading them. I just think Murph is guilty of a bit of rabble-rousing in the way he framed that one.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 03:39 PM
hockeyscribe22
HFB Partner

Agreed with all of you...

Weighed this one a lot, and like I said I still don't think they would trade him but as people point out, they probably always look at different scenarios and trade possibilities.

But based on who this source is, I think it has legs and if I sat on it, then someone else grabbed it or he actually was traded, well then I'm not doing a good job am I?

hockeyscribe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 03:56 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

I like Komisareks chances of resigning with the Habs at the end of the year. Koivu has been injured before, how many times have we seen him behind the bench? I think Komisarek wants to stay with the habs and will hopefully be easy to resign...at least that's what I tell myself every night before bed

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 04:08 PM
Miller Time

From a fans POV, obviously I want to see Komi resigned at almost any cost... almost...

but from a management pov, if they have had preliminary talks with Komi's agent and it looks like he's going to ask for the sun the moon and the stars, then it would definitely be a smart move to find out what kind of return you could get for him AND revisit just how important he is to your organization.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 04:55 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Ek is that you?

Just kidding, I think Bob sees that Komi is at his high-water mark and may be curious what that's worth... we've won without him on the ice and other D are coming up the ranks. Signing him at 5 mils is probably not an option for BG, which it might be for other GMs. This isn't as crazy as it sounds.

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 04:59 PM
Corey

COnsidering how solid the Habs' D has been without Komi, Gainey could easily trade him without hurting the team. O'Byrne is more than ready to take his place, and besides, they still have the Breezer.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 05:04 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I would probably be inclined to just downgrade the reliability of my source in this instance, and leave it at that.
I would definitely agree with this...

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 05:11 PM
Lebeau47

gainey has said over and over and over he doesnt do extensions during the season

Lebeau47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 05:22 PM
Kriss E

Komi isn't going anywhere.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 05:33 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Komi isn't going anywhere.
Unless your him or his agent I wouldn't say that so matter of fact. Frankly I can't wait until Gainey gets this out of the way, freaking sign him already, we can't lose him cause there's no one to replace him on the farm. But who knows what will happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyscribe22 View Post
They also obviously miss the leadership and toughness of defenseman Mike Komisarek and that leads us to ask why a reliable source told Murphy’s Law that talks have still not begun between Bob Gainey and the Komisarek camp on a new contract? Or better yet, and we’re investigating more on this, why Habs management may have sent feelers out on Komisarek’s trade value recently? This scribe finds that very hard to believe, considering they made Komisarek an Assistant Coach for a few games and obviously value his presence. But could it be that Gainey believes he may have difficult time re-signing the rugged rearguard? We will monitor this one closely.

http://insidehockey.com/blog/feeling_lightning

Happy Holidays!

Slainte,

Murph
As for trade rumors, I call total Bull ****. The Habs would need to find someone like Komisarek for the playoff run, so I'd be flat out shock if Gainey was even considering trading him, even if he knew for sure Komisarek would be gone in the off season imo, unless the Habs totally fall apart between now and the trade deadline.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 05:44 PM
Mue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebeau47 View Post
gainey has said over and over and over he doesnt do extensions during the season
I don't think he has actually ever said that.

Case by case basis is the impression I was under.

Mue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 05:59 PM
Lebeau47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post
I don't think he has actually ever said that.

Case by case basis is the impression I was under.
he has actually..... more then once

Lebeau47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 06:01 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebeau47 View Post
he has actually..... more then once
You're wrong, mue is right on that one. Case by case.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 06:33 PM
Brisk-Illusion

I never quite understood why Komi is a "must re-sign at any price" kind of player to most fans.

IMO, he's a decent, physical player who contributes to our team, but he's not a critical piece of our success. He's been injured twice for an extended period in the last 2 seasons and we have managed to play fine without him. He's the 3rd best defenseman on the team, quite far behind Hamrlik. If our top two Ds are paid 5.5m a year, Komi is worth around 4-4.5 mil for what he brings.

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 06:39 PM
Habs8517

i heard Komisarek will test the market if he is not signed by the habs before july 1st
we need to have him signed before that because he will sign with the islanders

Habs8517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 06:45 PM
mcphee

Pierre McGuire feels that every day he isn't signed makes him more likely to test the market. His agent is known to be very agressive in placing his players. I think Komo wants to play in Mtl and they want him to as well.

I also think that they have to put a realistic number on what he brings to the table. While they're deciding this, they also have to know if what he would bring in a deal makes more sense than what they would have to pay.

From my own point of view, I'd overpay for him as he seems to have all that you want in terms of how he plays the game, carries himself, etc.

I hate to bring Euro/NA ratios into play as they're losing any real significance but they can't afford to play less of the style Komo plays, they have to subtly find ways to play more of it.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 07:21 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post
I never quite understood why Komi is a "must re-sign at any price" kind of player to most fans.

IMO, he's a decent, physical player who contributes to our team, but he's not a critical piece of our success. He's been injured twice for an extended period in the last 2 seasons and we have managed to play fine without him. He's the 3rd best defenseman on the team, quite far behind Hamrlik. If our top two Ds are paid 5.5m a year, Komi is worth around 4-4.5 mil for what he brings.
Tops in Shot blocking and hitting for d-men last year, if he wasn't injured he would've been likely to do the same this year. Yes, he brings very little offense but the defensive numbers speak for themselves. I don't think he's a 'decent' physical player, I think he's one of the best defensive d-men's available. The only problem is, I'm not a fan of giving defensive players huge contracts. If he signs 5 year 20 mil deal, I wouldn't complain, anything higher per year and I don't really like it. It's pushing it, even though he can get more than 4 mil a year in the open market.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 07:23 PM
Next Best Thing*

Where is that source ima kill it, yes this is a death threat.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 07:26 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

The question is, what is he worth?

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 07:27 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
The question is, what is he worth?
A whole lot more to us than ANY other team. We're butter cups, without the cup.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 07:28 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Pierre McGuire feels that every day he isn't signed makes him more likely to test the market. His agent is known to be very agressive in placing his players. I think Komo wants to play in Mtl and they want him to as well.

I also think that they have to put a realistic number on what he brings to the table. While they're deciding this, they also have to know if what he would bring in a deal makes more sense than what they would have to pay.

From my own point of view, I'd overpay for him as he seems to have all that you want in terms of how he plays the game, carries himself, etc.

I hate to bring Euro/NA ratios into play as they're losing any real significance but they can't afford to play less of the style Komo plays, they have to subtly find ways to play more of it.
I think you can apply what Pierre is saying to pretty much every single player out there.
Technically, every day that passes, he's closer to UFA. It's logical.

That being said, Komi seems to like it here a lot and one can assume the Habs sees their future Captain in him. So I have a hard time believing they would either trade or let him walk.
They will give as much money required to keep him here. I don't think he'll be asking for an exaggerated amount, nor do I think they'll get him for cheap. Something along the lines of 4-4.5M/ 5M if he's greedy.

I agree with your point about his type of player even if we're still playing well without him.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 07:36 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
A whole lot more to us than ANY other team. We're butter cups, without the cup.
Sure. But what would you give him?

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote