HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Any other trade conservatives?

Old
12-12-2008, 06:29 PM
BerubeBox*

vCash: 500
Any other trade conservatives?

It just occured to me that I'm always really biased in favor of sticking with the players we have and not doing much trading. I'm not really sure why. I notice there are a lot of people who are in favor of tinkering and tweaking and manipulating all the time - armchair GMs so to speak. They seem to think if they were in charge, they could wheel and deal their way to a stanley cup within a few years.

Now I'm not attacking these people. This is about admitting my own bias. This wheel-and-deal your way to victory mentality is almost alien to me. Whenever trade ideas are proposed my natural inclination is to be pessimistic. As a Flyer fan I've obviously seen what good trading can do for a team. But I always have a bad feeling about potential trades. Why is that?

Maybe it's because in my ideal NHL, there wouldn't be any trades at all. Not one. You don't have to tell me how impossible that is. It isn't even remotely feasible. But how great would it be? You draft a player and he belongs to one team for life. Sink or swim. Can you imagine how much more loyalty and passion that would inspire among the fans? Sure you can say, it would suck if your team didn't draft well, but that would only make it better when they finally turned it around.

There's probably a lot more to it. Maybe I'm just not a risk-taker. Maybe I don't like the idea of one business guy I don't know that much about (the GM) having the ability to throw away all our hopes in one deal. Maybe I'm a control freak? I like to think I just want players around longer in general so I can get to know them in a way and root harder for them.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 06:43 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

I'm with you big time...and have always been that way. For me, it's more about the fact that I really take to some of the players. A guy like Knuble for instance...who people were constantly proposing to get rid of last year...or Kapanen, who many people would've been glad to dump for a bag of pucks last year. I'm a big fan of both of those guys, I hated that Sami had to go, and it'll suck to see Knuble go when that time comes.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that I don't think there should be trades at all, but I'll absolutely say that the thing that bothers me most about this age of sports that we live in is the excessive trading. I'm all about a team building through the draft...sticking with what they've got and seeing what they can achieve with it.

I've become a little numb to all the trade proposals at this point, having now been on these boards for almost a year. When I first got here though, I couldn't get over the way people constantly propose trades. Seriously...some people would trade away the entire team if they could get the right studs in return. That's not really what it's about for me.

The funniest part about many of the trades that get proposed on these boards is....the grass is alwayyys greener. It's funny how many trade proposals I see that I think wouldn't even benefit the team. But, for some reason...in many people's eyes, the grass is always greener.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 07:08 PM
Lab Monkey

im only all for a trade if we easily win it. for example: when we got Coburn

teams should definitly build from the draft, that said theres some players I wouldn't mind unloading, example: Jones

Lab Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 07:12 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
I've become a little numb to all the trade proposals at this point, having now been on these boards for almost a year. When I first got here though, I couldn't get over the way people constantly propose trades. Seriously...some people would trade away the entire team if they could get the right studs in return. That's not really what it's about for me.
The Flyers' board is actually pretty tame when it comes to trade proposals.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 07:27 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
I would love to see Jones and Lupul go for Bouwmester (Sp?). Pannacio said something about it today.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 08:44 PM
MountainHawk

The trade proposal are all EA's fault. The trade logic in NHL 200x that let's you get Crosby and Malkin for a bunch of good players makes people think they can do the same in real life.

That and fantasy hockey.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 08:45 PM
slitz

trade deadline day is one of my favorite days of the year... especially since I got nhl network

slitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 10:26 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
The trade proposal are all EA's fault. The trade logic in NHL 200x that let's you get Crosby and Malkin for a bunch of good players makes people think they can do the same in real life.

That and fantasy hockey.
The two worst effects of fantasy sports are:

a) the fact that it takes forever to get a score on ESPN - the scores are always immersed in stupid stats like Seattle's kicker was 3-3 on extra points or Denobius Jones was held to 64 yards on 21 carries or Carlos Beltran went 1-4 with a walk.

b) trade proposals on teh internets.

It probably would end if someone kept track, especially of the trades for picks.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 10:44 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
eh im in the middle here. trades are necessary. but its stupid to implode the team every year. i love a team with original players. like the phillies. a lot of home grown talent, yet some imported help. made that world series feel that much better. but those trades put them over the top. and they werent headline deals either. but when trades happen with hockey i tend to get a little sad (downie) because u fell u know them, but if the return is good (carle) im ok. like forsberg for parent upshall and eventually timonen and hartnell. i idolized foppa as a kid and when he signed i was stoked. i hated seeing him go but parent is a good prospect and upshall quickly became a favorite of mine. then we get timonen and hartnell and i forgot who forsberg was.

do i agree with trade proposals? no. i ignore that part of this site. but i like discussing rumors. like i heard jbo for lupul and jones. seems like a smart proposal since i view jbo as a rental.
the carter richards jvr trades annoy me.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 11:03 PM
sg12lw

the grass is greener reference nailed it

its funny how everyone here thinks that they have the solution

sg12lw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 05:42 AM
rizface

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerubeBox View Post
It just occured to me that I'm always really biased in favor of sticking with the players we have and not doing much trading. I'm not really sure why. I notice there are a lot of people who are in favor of tinkering and tweaking and manipulating all the time - armchair GMs so to speak. They seem to think if they were in charge, they could wheel and deal their way to a stanley cup within a few years.

Now I'm not attacking these people. This is about admitting my own bias. This wheel-and-deal your way to victory mentality is almost alien to me. Whenever trade ideas are proposed my natural inclination is to be pessimistic. As a Flyer fan I've obviously seen what good trading can do for a team. But I always have a bad feeling about potential trades. Why is that?

Maybe it's because in my ideal NHL, there wouldn't be any trades at all. Not one. You don't have to tell me how impossible that is. It isn't even remotely feasible. But how great would it be? You draft a player and he belongs to one team for life. Sink or swim. Can you imagine how much more loyalty and passion that would inspire among the fans? Sure you can say, it would suck if your team didn't draft well, but that would only make it better when they finally turned it around.

There's probably a lot more to it. Maybe I'm just not a risk-taker. Maybe I don't like the idea of one business guy I don't know that much about (the GM) having the ability to throw away all our hopes in one deal. Maybe I'm a control freak? I like to think I just want players around longer in general so I can get to know them in a way and root harder for them.
I'm gonna put my psychologist suit here.....it looks like to me you're a safety player type of person. That's your personality I guess. You don't like to take a lot of risks and would rather stay put. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but If I were to guess that's the type of person you are not only in hockey aspects but all general life aspects.

M

rizface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 01:20 PM
Quellet The Dogs Out

This is a great thread. Finally some coherence and intelligence.

With the way this team is producing now, other than a forced trade due to cap space, why make any moves???

Quellet The Dogs Out is offline   Reply With Quote