HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Change In Leadership Needed: From Renney Down

Old
12-12-2008, 08:41 PM
Balej20*

vCash: 500
Change In Leadership Needed: From Renney Down

I've personally never seen a more passive, quiet, invisible captain than Chris Drury. He doesn't lead by his words, nor does he lead by example. He does't talk to officials at the end of the periods or during the period (Lundqvist does by the way). He doesn't talk on the bench, he doesn't talk during time outs. All he does is clean his visor between every shift. At this point, with the way Gomez has been playing in the past 3, I'd sooner make him the Captain.

It doesn't end at Drury though. There are no leaders on this team. There is no leadership. From the coach down. I know a lot of us have been spoiled by the greatness of Mark Messier, but something must be done. This is a major problem for this team. It must be addressed.

Last edited by Balej20*: 12-12-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 09:05 PM
Balej20*

Just to add, I was hoping Dubinsky would step up and be more of a vocal leader this year. I think this team needs to start promoting leadership from within...not just giving the A's and C to the oldest, highest paid players.

Old
12-12-2008, 09:08 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Just to add, I was hoping Dubinsky would step up and be more of a vocal leader this year. I think this team needs to start promoting leadership from within...not just giving the A's and C to the oldest, highest paid players.
Agreed. I'd leave the A on Scott Gomez though. The C and the other A are up in the air to me. I'm not sure who'd I give it to on this team.

Oh and in my opinion Jaromir Jagr was a solid captain, even though he may have been "depressing" or comical in some of his interviews (which is nice to see some EXPRESSION by a captain) he actually led by example when he had to and turned the tides of games in the Rangers favor.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 09:10 PM
nyrangers23

maybe fire renney and bring in messier to coach or maybe thats the painkillers talking

nyrangers23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Balej20*

I was not a fan of Jarmoir Jagr as a captain. But seeing Chris Drury now makes me miss the days of Jagr captaining this team.

Old
Unk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
Agreed. I'd leave the A on Scott Gomez though. The C and the other A are up in the air to me. I'm not sure who'd I give it to on this team.

Oh and in my opinion Jaromir Jagr was a solid captain, even though he may have been "depressing" or comical in some of his interviews (which is nice to see some EXPRESSION by a captain) he actually led by example when he had to and turned the tides of games in the Rangers favor.
I liked Jagr as a captain. The fact that he didn't play 100% all last season was annoying but understandable that he felt it more important to play his A game when it matters, in the playoffs. Anyway, this team could always go for the 3 A's if there's no true captain, but I don't think Drury's going to be stripped of his captaincy, nor am I sure yet if he should be.

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 09:12 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unk View Post
I liked Jagr as a captain. The fact that he didn't play 100% all last season was annoying but understandable that he felt it more important to play his A game when it matters, in the playoffs. Anyway, this team could always go for the 3 A's if there's no true captain, but I don't think Drury's going to be stripped of his captaincy, nor am I sure yet if he should be.
They should have went with three A's this year. And atleast one of the three A's should have been someone other than an older, overpaid Free Agent.

Old
12-12-2008, 09:16 PM
TheZherdev

hell id even pick zherdev as a captain over drury. At least the kid is showing some passion out there.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 09:19 PM
Balej20*

The problem is this team doesn't HAVE a Captain. So to actually name someone captain is ludicrous. Leaders emerge over time, and thus far, no one has emerged.

Old
12-12-2008, 09:19 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
They should have went with three A's this year. And atleast one of the three A's should have been someone other than an older, overpaid Free Agent.
Probably would have been the best tactic. Who do you propose making the three Alternates this season? It's a tough choice. Maybe someone like... dare I say it... Mara?

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 09:21 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangers23 View Post
maybe fire renney and bring in messier to coach or maybe thats the painkillers talking
Hey why not? The Coyotes are doing it with Gretzky. I'd give him the GM job as well!! Just like Keenan wanted.

I really am trying to find out why exactly Renney was kicked out of Vancouver when he was coached there. Hmmm?

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 09:21 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
Probably would have been the best tactic. Who do you propose making the three Alternates this season? It's a tough choice. Maybe someone like... dare I say it... Mara?
Guys who show emotion aren't allowed to be leaders in Tom Renney's locker room.

Old
12-12-2008, 09:29 PM
In The Flesh

as the team stands right now (without Shanny or Sundin or both for that matter)

Mara - C
Naslund - A
Gomez - A
Lundqvist - A

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 09:41 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
I've personally never seen a more passive, quiet, invisible captain than Chris Drury. He doesn't lead by his words, nor does he lead by example. He does't talk to officials at the end of the periods or during the period (Lundqvist does by the way). He doesn't talk on the bench, he doesn't talk during time outs. All he does is clean his visor between every shift. At this point, with the way Gomez has been playing in the past 3, I'd sooner make him the Captain.

It doesn't end at Drury though. There are no leaders on this team. There is no leadership. From the coach down. I know a lot of us have been spoiled by the greatness of Mark Messier, but something must be done. This is a major problem for this team. It must be addressed.
Agree with a lot of what you say but we had Mess for what 3 years in the early 2000's and we still sucked.

Not to ever take away the fact that he was the greatest leader that the Rangers ever had. What he pulled of in 94 (WE WILL WIN) was stuff fairytales are made of.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 09:44 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
Agree with a lot of what you say but we had Mess for what 3 years in the early 2000's and we still sucked.

Not to ever take away the fact that he was the greatest leader that the Rangers ever had. What he pulled of in 94 (WE WILL WIN) was stuff fairytales are made of.
Different circumstances entirely. 3 years does not make a career. Fact is he was a great leader who played with fire and intensity. He was the rare leader who led by both example and by words.

Old
12-12-2008, 09:49 PM
TylerDurden

Drury still deserves the "C." Z and his not coming out for being one of the three stars bugs me. Mara takes too many penalties trying to be a tough guy and cost us the game at least twice now. Gomez is inconsistent. Dubinsky, i hope it's not a sophomore slump. If anyone, I would say Naslund could take it from Drury, but would be pissed if it did happen.

TylerDurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 09:49 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Different circumstances entirely. 3 years does not make a career. Fact is he was a great leader who played with fire and intensity. He was the rare leader who led by both example and by words.
Nor does 30 games.

A few years ago Lindy Ruff, Daniel Briere, and three quarters of Buffalo were about to put a statue in reverence of Chris Drury's leadership skills.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 09:50 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Nor does 30 games.

A few years ago Lindy Ruff, Daniel Briere, and three quarters of Buffalo were about to put a statue in reverence of Chris Drury's leadership skills.
Yea and for 2 years I have yet to see why Drury gets so much credit for his leadership. Plus he wasn't event he full time captain on that team.

Old
12-12-2008, 09:52 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Nor does 30 games.

they still would.....players still talk about his leadership skills....so much so that when he left there was a HUGE void left where he was.....people may not like the fact that he keeps things behind closed doors....guess what, he doesnt give a flying ****....he has the respect of his teammates and of players around the league....get over it

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 09:52 PM
Unk

Quote:
Nor does 30 games.

I'll admit you've got a point there. Even including last season Drury might have had a hard time establishing that kind of presence with guys like Jagr and Shanny around.

OTOH, the grass is almost always greener on the side. Is it not possible that Drury got too revered in Buffalo?

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 09:53 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Yea and for 2 years I have yet to see why Drury gets so much credit for his leadership. Plus he wasn't event he full time captain on that team.
more like briere didnt do **** when he was the co-captain.....drury was the captain

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 09:54 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unk View Post
I'll admit you've got a point there. Even including last season Drury might have had a hard time establishing that kind of presence with guys like Jagr and Shanny around.

OTOH, the grass is almost always greener on the side. Is it not possible that Drury got too revered in Buffalo?
There is no doubt in my mind that Drury's leadership qualities were and may still be extremely overated.

Old
12-12-2008, 09:55 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Considering you've seen Drury as a captain of this team for less than 35 games, I'm not entirely sure where you're pulling two years from. Was he supposed to take over the team last year while Jagr was captain?

Put the "C" on anyone you want, it's not going to change the fact that this team can't get their act together for 60 minutes.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 10:01 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Considering you've seen Drury as a captain of this team for less than 35 games, I'm not entirely sure where you're pulling two years from. Was he supposed to take over the team last year while Jagr was captain?

Put the "C" on anyone you want, it's not going to change the fact that this team can't get their act together for 60 minutes.
I already stated this team, as a whole, lacks leadership. And I said it starts from the coach, down. Please read my first post. I'm not a fool. I know a letter on a jersey doesn't change a thing.

But the fact remains, quality leadership WOULD help this team get its act together. Absolutely.

Old
12-12-2008, 10:01 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
they still would.....players still talk about his leadership skills....so much so that when he left there was a HUGE void left where he was.....people may not like the fact that he keeps things behind closed doors....guess what, he doesnt give a flying ****....he has the respect of his teammates and of players around the league....get over it
agreed. This is arguement is getting old and the fact that this is what youre complaining about after tonight's loss, is an aboslute and utter joke. The defensemen were the reason we lost the game and NOT drury. It was Drury who drew a penalty with his hard work when they were on the PK in the third for a penalty Kalinin took previously. That's leading by example. Drury and Gomez played great tonight, they played their heart out and that's all they can really do. If they're teammates, especially the defensemen, cant follow in stride, thats not their fault.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote