HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Thomas Vokoun

Old
12-12-2008, 03:26 PM
BattleGuy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 61
Thomas Vokoun

It looks like Craig Anderson has all but solidified his position as the number 1 guy in Florida. If this is the case, would Florida be looking to move Vokoun and his fairly hefty salary. If so what would it take to get him. I'd love to have him in Edmonton. Would a deal like Garon + Nilsson do it? Florida saves about 2 million in cap space and still gets a decent backup and a 2nd line winger.

thoughts?

BattleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 03:50 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by section8 View Post
It looks like Craig Anderson has all but solidified his position as the number 1 guy in Florida. If this is the case, would Florida be looking to move Vokoun and his fairly hefty salary. If so what would it take to get him. I'd love to have him in Edmonton. Would a deal like Garon + Nilsson do it? Florida saves about 2 million in cap space and still gets a decent backup and a 2nd line winger.

thoughts?
I was thinking about this earlier in the week, but when I looked at Vokoun's salary and the extent to which he's been outplayed by Anderson, I didn't like it much.

Vokoun has a huge salary that his stats don't justify. The excuse that it's hard to put up good numbers behind Florida's defense just doesn't work, because Anderson is putting up spectacular numbers behind the same defense.

oilers_guy_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 03:51 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie View Post
I was thinking about this earlier in the week, but when I looked at Vokoun's salary and the extent to which he's been outplayed by Anderson, I didn't like it much.

Vokoun has a huge salary that his stats don't justify. The excuse that it's hard to put up good numbers behind Florida's defense just doesn't work, because Anderson is putting up spectacular numbers behind the same defense.
Our defense is one of the reasons Andy's playing so well. Sure he faced 40 shots last night but how many of them were really quality chances?

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 03:59 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthiasitchy View Post
Our defense is one of the reasons Andy's playing so well. Sure he faced 40 shots last night but how many of them were really quality chances?
Yeah, I wasn't trying to dump on Florida's defense, just trying to point out that it's a myth that a goalie can't have good stats playing for the Panthers.

Old
12-12-2008, 04:03 PM
Brodeur

The Kings were interested in Vokoun prior to the 2007 Draft, but Nashville wanted something like Jonathan Bernier and a first rounder. Vokoun is signed for 2+ years and Lombardi in the past has let prospect goalies develop in the AHL. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if, hypothetically, the Kings got Vokoun:

2008-09: Vokoun starting in NHL, Bernier starting in AHL
2009-10: Vokoun starting in NHL, Bernier starting in AHL
2010-11: Vokoun starting in NHL, Bernier backing up in NHL
2011-12: Bernier starting in NHL

The question is what the Kings would give up and what the Panthers would want. But I think the Kings have reason to be interested, although they did pass on Khabibulin seemingly for financial reasons. So perhaps adding a 5+ million dollar goalie just isn't something ownership is keen on doing.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 04:03 PM
BattleGuy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 61
Quote:

Name me one goalie in the NHL that hasn't been out played by Anderson in the last few weeks. Can't....didn't think so. Just because Anderson has been playing better the Vokoun doesn't mean that Vokoun couldn't outplay Garon

BattleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 04:15 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by section8 View Post
Name me one goalie in the NHL that hasn't been out played by Anderson in the last few weeks. Can't....didn't think so. Just because Anderson has been playing better the Vokoun doesn't mean that Vokoun couldn't outplay Garon
The difference between the two Florida goalies is stunning:
Tomas Vokoun 17G 5W 10L 3.04 .910
Craig Anderson 15G 8W 2L 1.94 .946

Vokoun might very well be able to outplay Garon... but that's not exactly setting the bar very high... and Vokoun's due $5.7 million for this season and for 2 more seasons afterward. That's a huge financial commitment to a guy who right now doesn't look like a good bet to live up to that salary.

Old
12-12-2008, 04:21 PM
duncanmac12

well with every win Anderson makes takes Vokoun's value down more and more, look at the Huet trade last season, all the Habs got was a 2nd round draft pick, the Habs had 2 goalies that they were ready to give a shot to shine in the NHL(Price, Halak), the Panthers has one good #1 but im not sure if that is good enough for the Panthers, if Anderson gets injured then the Panthers would be in trouble on the goaltending front, with Vokoun and Anderson the Panthers have a good goaltending combination

duncanmac12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 09:07 PM
mstad101

how bout a deal involving the flyers....
Vokoun JBo for Briere Biron and Lupul

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 09:37 PM
Pukboy5kroner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstad101 View Post
how bout a deal involving the flyers....
Vokoun JBo for Briere Biron and Lupul
How much does Biron make? The Panthers don't really have all that much cap room.

Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 09:59 PM
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukboy5kroner View Post
How much does Biron make? The Panthers don't really have all that much cap room.
They have ~2 mil, plus removing Vokoun (5.7) and JBo (4.9)...12.6 mil to fit Briere (6.5) Lupul (2.3) and Biron (3.5)... you'd be able to fit it.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 10:06 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 117
Quote:

How the team played in front of Vokoun and how they've been playing in front of Anderson, lately, is like night and day. When DeBoer was giving Vokoun starts, DeBoer was still fiddling with the team and getting a feel for things. They've really only bought completely into the system relatively recently. Vokoun has not been nearly as bad as some Panthers fans say and he hasn't been as bad as his 3.04 GAA indicates.

StrangeVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 10:46 PM
Pukboy5kroner

Vokoun won tonight, stoning the flames in the shootout, so any deals are off the table.... Call back next week

Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 01:53 AM
Ace36758

Vokoun has had a slow start to this season compared to his usual standards. He has been a top 5 goalie in the league consistently since the lockout and consistently posts very high save % numbers.

The fact that some posters are now calling him "expendable" due to the recent hot play of their backup is simply ridiculous. Even if they did take a chance and deal him, it certainly wouldn't be for some of the paltry returns being mentioned in this thread.

Ace36758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 02:46 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Vokoun's is an interesting case, because Mr. Anderson is earning a number 1 job (provided he keeps this up, could be a Conklin streak you know), and Florida has a certain Swedish prospect who is well and truly capable of being a 1b soon.

Several teams in this league would be better for having Vokoun. As his salary is quite high the return might not be so great as many think it should be, but still the cap impact on Florida would provide room to have good things come from it.

I think Florida are quite underrated really. Taking consecutive wins on their West trip while being without Horton and Booth is not bad. Not bad at all.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 09:19 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
The Kings were interested in Vokoun prior to the 2007 Draft, but Nashville wanted something like Jonathan Bernier and a first rounder. Vokoun is signed for 2+ years and Lombardi in the past has let prospect goalies develop in the AHL. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if, hypothetically, the Kings got Vokoun:

2008-09: Vokoun starting in NHL, Bernier starting in AHL
2009-10: Vokoun starting in NHL, Bernier starting in AHL
2010-11: Vokoun starting in NHL, Bernier backing up in NHL
2011-12: Bernier starting in NHL

The question is what the Kings would give up and what the Panthers would want. But I think the Kings have reason to be interested, although they did pass on Khabibulin seemingly for financial reasons. So perhaps adding a 5+ million dollar goalie just isn't something ownership is keen on doing.
LA makes the most sense to me as well. Obviously one of the 2 goalies the Kings have already would be going back in the deal. If I'm FL, I'd ask for at least Ersberg and Handzus. It gives them a 1a/1b guy to split starts with Anderson and a center for the top 2 lines. And salary-wise, the Kings wouldnt be adding a tremendous amount of cash. Not sure about the value but I think its pretty close.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 09:32 AM
Biggzy*

No need to trade Vokoun. As long as we're winning, I'll hang on to two solid goaltenders.

Biggzy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 11:40 AM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by There's only one 66 View Post
Vokoun's is an interesting case, because Mr. Anderson is earning a number 1 job (provided he keeps this up, could be a Conklin streak you know), and Florida has a certain Swedish prospect who is well and truly capable of being a 1b soon.

Several teams in this league would be better for having Vokoun. As his salary is quite high the return might not be so great as many think it should be, but still the cap impact on Florida would provide room to have good things come from it.

I think Florida are quite underrated really. Taking consecutive wins on their West trip while being without Horton and Booth is not bad. Not bad at all.
Don't forget Stillman, our top scorer before his concussion.

For whatever reason the team plays better in front of Anderson, and you can combine that with Vokoun's notorious slow starts. They did play well last night though which was a good all-around team win. Vokoun was strong.

Does Florida take a chance that Anderson has finally come into his own or is just on a mega-hot streak. Difficult question.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 11:51 AM
LeafsGetTavares*

Anderson is playing like the best in NHL yet he hasen't proved him self.

LeafsGetTavares* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 12:20 PM
RoadDoggFL

Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeVision View Post
How the team played in front of Vokoun and how they've been playing in front of Anderson, lately, is like night and day. When DeBoer was giving Vokoun starts, DeBoer was still fiddling with the team and getting a feel for things. They've really only bought completely into the system relatively recently. Vokoun has not been nearly as bad as some Panthers fans say and he hasn't been as bad as his 3.04 GAA indicates.
No kidding, I was gonna say the same thing. Even when the team plays well enough in front of Tivo, when was the last time a Panther put the puck past Anderson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsGetTavares View Post
Anderson is playing like the best in NHL yet he hasen't proved him self.
Because Florida routinely gives up 40 shots. Andy's not having to stand on his head all night (of course, there are some showstopping saves most nights, but he's not having career nights every night is what I'm saying) to make all these saves, which is what people seem to think when they see his numbers. A lot of low quality shots against is normal for Florida.

So no, he hasn't yet proven himself. If he slumps down the line, all the people saying Florida should trade Vokoun away would be the first in line to bash Florida for foolishly giving away their stability in net for trusting that a hot goalie would stay hot for the rest of the season.

RoadDoggFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 12:43 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthiasitchy View Post
I thought the main reason the oilers didnt have that many quality chances was because of Anderson. I mean the defence just collapsed and their only focus was to stand their and not allow the other team to go back door. When you start doing that, you really see it in the lack of offence. Its almost impossible to transition while constantly collapsing.

Unless you have a great PP or someone like gabby hanging around.. Its usually not a very effective strategy as something usually squeaks through or a penalty gets drawn.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 03:12 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace36758 View Post
Vokoun has had a slow start to this season compared to his usual standards. He has been a top 5 goalie in the league consistently since the lockout and consistently posts very high save % numbers.

The fact that some posters are now calling him "expendable" due to the recent hot play of their backup is simply ridiculous. Even if they did take a chance and deal him, it certainly wouldn't be for some of the paltry returns being mentioned in this thread.
This.

Although, it's nice to see that the Predators aren't the only ones with a disproportionate number of blockheads in their fan base.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 06:15 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

As others have said, the team plays much different(worse) in front of Vokoun for whatever reason. The exception being last night. And Vokoun seems to be a slow starter, and his stats always even out at as the season goes along. But what happened this year is that Anderson came in and played great, so Vokoun never really got a chance to get his stats back up after his slow start. He's not as bad as his stats and not as bad as some Panther fans will say. He was awesome last night, after not playing for like 3 weeks. I can't say what will happen because of whatever financial decisions the owner might think should be made, but IMO there's no way the Panthers should trade Vokoun right now. This is a great problem to have.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote