HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

SI - D'Agostini vs Latendresse

Old
12-13-2008, 07:24 AM
HomaridII

vCash: 500
SI - D'Agostini vs Latendresse

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ini/index.html

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 08:01 AM
le_sean

Wow it's surprising someone in the American media can really sum up both NHL players so well.

Poor Gui, he came in and scored 16 goals and everyone expected him to be the saviour. I still think he will be a very good player, but patience is not the best characteristic of the Montreal fanbase. Immediate results are needed. But we see it time and time again with powerforwards, it just takes time. However for every Neely and Leclair, there are Terry Ryans and Brad Isbisters. What separates Gui from the latter is that he actually seems to have hockey sense.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 08:17 AM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Wow it's surprising someone in the American media can really sum up both NHL players so well.

Poor Gui, he came in and scored 16 goals and everyone expected him to be the saviour. I still think he will be a very good player, but patience is not the best characteristic of the Montreal fanbase. Immediate results are needed. But we see it time and time again with powerforwards, it just takes time. However for every Neely and Leclair, there are Terry Ryans and Brad Isbisters. What separates Gui from the latter is that he actually seems to have hockey sense.
who gives a crap about the fanbase, its not us who make the decisions, its the GM thank goodnesss. BG doesnt give a crap what the whining fanbase thinks about Lats, its what they think. He is going NOWHERE.

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 08:20 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
who gives a crap about the fanbase, its not us who make the decisions, its the GM thank goodnesss. BG doesnt give a crap what the whining fanbase thinks about Lats, its what they think. He is going NOWHERE.
Because people like you are writing him off when he's only 21. Unlike most players on this team he can speak French and can understand exactly what the media says about him, it must be a shock to his confidence. Yes he was a healthy scratch but so was Sergei, I would not say the GM has given up on him.

Old
12-13-2008, 08:41 AM
onice

Quote:
Because people like you are writing him off when he's only 21. Unlike most players on this team he can speak French and can understand exactly what the media says about him, it must be a shock to his confidence. Yes he was a healthy scratch but so was Sergei, I would not say the GM has given up on him.
I think you misunderstood his post. He was defending Lats not tearing him down.

This misunderstanding of a fellow Lats defender, I hope it's not an indication of your misunderstanding of lats' talent and ceiling.

Something tells me it is.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 08:43 AM
Moen in Glory
@MoeninGlory

Quote:
IMHO french media have never been too harmful to Guillaume's confidence...

Moen in Glory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 08:46 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
I think you misunderstood his post. He was defending Lats not tearing him down.

This misunderstanding of a fellow Lats defender, I hope it's not an indication of your misunderstanding of lats' talent and ceiling.

Something tells me it is.
Sorry, I interpreted "going nowhere" as in his career is going nowhere. Thanks for pointing it out.

Lats is a very talented player, he has the hands, he just needs to start playing big. I don't know how to get him to do it though.

Old
12-13-2008, 08:49 AM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
But we see it time and time again with powerforwards, it just takes time.
Latendresse is not and has never been a power forward. It's not his game and trying to be a power forward is what hurts him more than anything.

Montreal Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 08:50 AM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Huh ? I have NOT and will NOT write Lats off.

Old
12-13-2008, 09:04 AM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
You know I'd love for Carbo to play Latendresse on the 4th line for a bit. Basically tell him that what they want from him is to hit and be physical and not worry so much about scoring goals (remove pressure on the kid's shoulders). With Lapierre and Begin he'll get a chance to learn how to play big and once he has gotten that down (say after 10-15 games) then bring him up to 3rd line and tell him to keep playing big. That's how he'll score goals in the long run.

If we look at several of the power forwards, they spent a considerable amount of time playing on checking line duties. I see that Latendresse hasn't done that as a detriment on learning his role.

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 09:17 AM
GoldenForum

SI article spot on. You have to feel for Lats a bit-- some good promise, with obvious weaknesses, and very difficult to have the NHL be your practice ground on the fly. I guess it's easy in retrospect, but you wonder why, with the Habs mantra of patience, Lats was rushed up so quickly.

It's going to be very interesting to see what happens on the Habs next season.

GoldenForum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 09:21 AM
kovalost27

He should play in the AHL if he wants to go anywhere in the NHL.

That way he can polish his game rather than trying to keep up with all of the big leaguers.

kovalost27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 09:22 AM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenForum View Post
SI article spot on. You have to feel for Lats a bit-- some good promise, with obvious weaknesses, and very difficult to have the NHL be your practice ground on the fly. I guess it's easy in retrospect, but you wonder why, with the Habs mantra of patience, Lats was rushed up so quickly.

It's going to be very interesting to see what happens on the Habs next season.

french speaking..you need to know no more.

Old
12-13-2008, 09:26 AM
Maximus Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs425 View Post
IMHO french media have never been too harmful to Guillaume's confidence...
Ronald King was not too nice this week with him.

Maximus Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 09:32 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
french speaking..you need to know no more.
Really? If that was true he would have made the team after his 1st camp, wich was his best.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 09:33 AM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Really? If that was true he would have made the team after his 1st camp, wich was his best.
Really !

Old
12-13-2008, 09:33 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I found that Latendresse's performance vs Tampa was ****ing disgusting and disgraceful. How can a guy play so terribly after being a scratch for a bunch of games, watching Dagger come out of nowhere and rip it up in Gui's former spot, playing the way we've been hoping Lats would play for 3 years now.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 09:40 AM
Pascal

Gee, another Lats thread...

Gui was rushed because people were chanting Gui Gui Gui! all the time and management was fooled into thinking he's ready because he had a lot of energy and was playing hard.

Then Gui realized he's not a superstar and the team realized he needed 2 yrs in the AHL.

Now Gui will be traded within a year and may or may not turn out well.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 09:41 AM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Gee, another Lats thread...

Gui was rushed because people were chanting Gui Gui Gui! all the time and management was fooled into thinking he's ready because he had a lot of energy and was playing hard.

Then Gui realized he's not a superstar and the team realized he needed 2 yrs in the AHL.

Now Gui will be traded within a year and may or may not turn out well.
BG does not get fooled !!!

Old
12-13-2008, 09:45 AM
HockeyF3ind

Well the article pretty much hit the nail on the head...me thinks Lats like all other budding Quebecois talent on the Habs in recent years (Theo, Ribeiro, etc.) has been garnered so much undue attention mainly for the fact that he can speak to the people of the province that he has become complacent with his celebrity and by consequence lost whatever edge he had as a rookie. I don't think its a problem with the coaching, or Lats, or the media for that matter. Its just the natural result of putting young players in so much limelight. It gets to their head and they slack, or atleast lose the fire to be consistent. Ironically, this is the curse of the Quebecois Hab hockey player nowadays and will likely continue to be the case. The media in Quebec simply doesn't have anything else to focus on (aside from the CFL, but aside from the 4 people who watch the CFL nobody cares) sports wise, so they focus all of their attention on the Habs and naturally a lot of that attention goes to the people who can communicate with the French fanbase. Its a sad thing, but seems to be one of the only consistent things Quebecois players can be relied upon: to be over indulged in celebrity and consequently lose their edge.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 09:53 AM
MathMan

I don't think Lats will be traded, unless it's as part of a package. The potential for a Leclair scenario is way too high.

Lats' problem is that the AHL was not an option. He was clearly too good for junior. He was unquestionably good enough for the NHL -- and he has the results to prove it -- but it really wasn't the ideal spot for his development. The question becomes whether letting him waste a year in the Q -- not the most physical of leagues, one he could dominate without much work at all -- so that you could put him in the AHL the year after would have been worth it. Keep in mind we're really wondering whether he'd be much better with ONE year of AHL, not two.

And language really had nothing to do with it. Lats made the team because he was a NHL-caliber player and because he filled a void. He remains, by far, the team's best combination of hitting ability and hands. Though I think it really drives some of the fan whining about him.

The other problem is that he's being held up to completely ludicrous standards. He's from the same draft as D'Agostini and Sergei Kostitsyn, but if either of these players doesn't hit the 16 goals that Lats got in his first and second year... do you think they'll be blasted nearly as much as Lats was last year? I don't think so. Lats was actually a very good scorer in limited icetime last year, but because the results he gets aren't obtained in the manner fans would wish of him, he gets a tough rap. Even if some magical fairy suddenly turned him into Joe Thornton, I bet some fans would blame him for not being Milan Lucic.

Latendresse needs teaching. A contending NHL team may not be the ideal spot for this, but the Habs are young enough that it is an important consideration nonetheless. This isn't Carbo's forte though -- I wonder if some assistant coach dedicated to teaching the kids wouldn't be useful? There's a lot of 24-or-younger players on the team right now, including a ludicrous four from the 2005 draft. A teacher wouldn't hurt Sergei and Ryan O'Byrne, either.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 10:17 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I don't think Lats will be traded, unless it's as part of a package. The potential for a Leclair scenario is way too high.

Lats' problem is that the AHL was not an option. He was clearly too good for junior. He was unquestionably good enough for the NHL -- and he has the results to prove it -- but it really wasn't the ideal spot for his development. The question becomes whether letting him waste a year in the Q -- not the most physical of leagues, one he could dominate without much work at all -- so that you could put him in the AHL the year after would have been worth it. Keep in mind we're really wondering whether he'd be much better with ONE year of AHL, not two.

And language really had nothing to do with it. Lats made the team because he was a NHL-caliber player and because he filled a void. He remains, by far, the team's best combination of hitting ability and hands. Though I think it really drives some of the fan whining about him.

The other problem is that he's being held up to completely ludicrous standards. He's from the same draft as D'Agostini and Sergei Kostitsyn, but if either of these players doesn't hit the 16 goals that Lats got in his first and second year... do you think they'll be blasted nearly as much as Lats was last year? I don't think so. Lats was actually a very good scorer in limited icetime last year, but because the results he gets aren't obtained in the manner fans would wish of him, he gets a tough rap. Even if some magical fairy suddenly turned him into Joe Thornton, I bet some fans would blame him for not being Milan Lucic.

Latendresse needs teaching. A contending NHL team may not be the ideal spot for this, but the Habs are young enough that it is an important consideration nonetheless. This isn't Carbo's forte though -- I wonder if some assistant coach dedicated to teaching the kids wouldn't be useful? There's a lot of 24-or-younger players on the team right now, including a ludicrous four from the 2005 draft. A teacher wouldn't hurt Sergei and Ryan O'Byrne, either.
I agrre with you.

This team needs a guy like Clement Jodoin, a guy who knows NHL and Junior hockey.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 10:34 AM
Taupy

By the way guys, I missed Tampa's game, how was Latendresse?

Taupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 10:51 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulKOMInia View Post
By the way guys, I missed Tampa's game, how was Latendresse?
Much like you, not in attendance.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 10:59 AM
Erik Estrada
Nik Scherbak

Gui has the physical building block to be a PF (big, strong, heavy, hits hard and often, can throw a punch).

Everyone knows his skating sucks (to his credit he's worked on it but, being honest, it still sucks). Large turn radius, difficult acceleration... I don't know many forward non-enforcers in today's new NHL as slow as him. Michael Handzus? Trent Hunter? I can't think of anyone else.

He still has excellent hands but his confidence is shot. I'm convinced he'll start sinking them in around the net when he gets it back.

If meanness can be worked on, that's where i'd try to progress right now. If there's a behavioral psychologist on the board he could enlighten us. Watch A Clockwork Orange in a loop for 20 hours a day?

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote