HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12/13/08: Nashville vs. Dallas

Old
12-13-2008, 11:38 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

vCash: 500
12/13/08: Nashville vs. Dallas

vs.

@

Previous Meetings:
10/11/08: Nashville 3 vs. Dallas 1: Jason Arnott scored a pair of goals to propel the Predators to their first victory of the season.
10/15/08: Dallas 6 vs. Nashville 4: Patric Hörnqvist, Ryan Jones, and Fabian Brunnström all recorded their first NHL goals, with Brunnström getting a hat trick in this offensive slugfest.

Nashville Predators (14-12-3, 31pts, 3rd Central, 8th West)
Last Game: Last Game: Vancouver 3 vs. Nashville 1
Last Ten Games: 5-3-2
Away Record: 7-8-2
OT/Shootout Record: 5-3
Record vs. Dallas: 1-1-0
Goals For: 79
Goals Against: 90
Power Play Ranking: 13.9%, 25th
Away Power Play Ranking: 14.8%, 21st
Penalty Kill Ranking: 80.5%, 19th
Away Penalty Kill Ranking: 82.3%, 17th

Nashville Team Leaders
Goals: Jason Arnott, 13
Assists: Jean-Pierre Dumont, 21
Power Play Goals: Shea Weber, Arnott, 4
Power Play Scoring: Dumont, 10 (1g+9a)
Short-Handed Goals: Five Tied at 1
Short-Handed Scoring: Scott Nichol, 3 (0g+3a)
Shots: Weber, 93
Shooting Percentage: Arnott, 17.8%
Plus-Minus: Weber, +11
Penalty Minutes: Jordin Tootoo, 56
Hits: Weber, 61
Blocked Shots: Greg Zanon, 84
Giveaways: Dumont, 21
Takeaways: Dan Hamhuis, 22
Turnover Differential: Joel Ward, +13
Faceoffs Won: Arnott, 186-107
Faceoff Percentage: Radek Bonk, 63.2%
Time On Ice: Weber, 23:57
Wins: Dan Ellis, 8-11-2
Minutes Played: Ellis, 1302
Goals Against Average: Pekka Rinne, 2.60
Save Percentage: Rinne, .903
Shutouts: Rinne, 2

Nashville Fun Fact: Today is a special day for defensemen Dan Hamhuis and Kevin Klein- Hammer turns 26, and Klein turns 24. Happy birthday, guys!

Nashville Player to Watch: None of them, if they play like they did against Columbus.

Nashville Reason to Worry: The Predators defense has been riven by offenses of all sorts as of late, conceding 10 goals in its last 3 games.

Nashville Injury Report
Jordin Tootoo (Lower Body, Probable)
Scott Nichol (Concussion, Out)

Nashville Projected Lineup
Ward-Arnott-Dumont
Pihlström-Legwand-Erat
Tootoo-Bonk-Smithson
Fiddler-Peverley-Belak

Weber-Suter
Hamhuis-Zanon
De Vries-Klein

Ellis

Dallas Stars (11-13-4, 26pts, 5th Pacific, 15th West)

Last Game: Dallas 3 vs. Detroit 1
Last Ten Games: 5-4-1
Away Record: 6-8-1
OT/Shootout Record: 1-4
Record vs. Nashville: 1-1-0
Goals For: 78
Goals Against: 99
Power Play Ranking: 13.4%, 29th
Away Power Play Ranking: 9.2%, 30th
Penalty Kill Ranking: 76.5%, 28th
Away Penalty Ranking: 79.0%, 24th

Dallas Team Leaders
Goals: Loui Eriksson, 12
Assists: Mike Ribeiro, 18
Power Play Goals: Ribeiro, 3
Power Play Scoring: Ribeiro (3g+5a), Brad Richards (1g+7a)
Short-Handed Goals: None Recorded
Shots: Richards, 74
Shooting Percentage: Fabian Brunnström, 24.3%
Plus-Minus: Stephane Robidas, +5
Penalty Minutes: Sean Avery, 77
Hits: Robidas, 79
Blocked Shots: Robidas, 42
Giveaways: Ribeiro, 29
Takeaways: Ribeiro, 28
Turnover Differential: Eriksson, +20
Faceoffs Won: Richards, 242-231
Faceoff Percentage: Mike Modano, 52.1%
Time On Ice: Sergei Zubov, 24:17
Wins: Marty Turco, 10-12-4
Minutes Played: Turco, 1501
Goals Against Average: Turco, 3.32
Save Percentage: Turco, .881
Shutouts: None Recorded

Dallas Fun Fact: The Stars are the only NHL team with a bottom-five power play AND a bottom-five penalty kill.

Dallas Player to Watch: Centerman Mike Modano has 6 points (3g+3a) in his last 6 contests.

Dallas Reason to Worry: The Stars face a Predators team that is strong against the Pacific Division, going 5-2 against that division this year. The Predators have an identical record in the last 7 meetings between the two teams.

Dallas Injuries
Sergei Zubov (Lower Body, Out)
Steve Ott (Broken Hand, Out)
Joel Lundqvist (Shoulder, Out)
Jere Lehtinen (Upper Body, Out)
Mark Fistric (Knee, Out)

Dallas Projected Lineup
Eriksson-Richards-Conner
Neal-Ribeiro-Brunnström
Petersen-Modano-Parrish
Barch-Wandell-Wilson

Daley-Grossman
Sydor-Niskanen
Hutchinson-Jancevski

Turco

Media Coverage: Tonight's game will be televised in both markets, on FSN-Southwest and FSN-South (in HD). The game will be broadcast on 104.5 "The Zone" in Nashville.

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 12-13-2008 at 04:57 PM.
worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 01:20 PM
predfan24

Win or Lose they need to put in a good effort for 60 minutes tonight.

Has anybody ever been to the message boards on the team's offical website? I just went there and Holy Crap!!!!!!! I admire everybody's passion there and we are all apart of the same small but hardcore fanbase but those guys explode after every little losing streak and poor game talking about blowing the team up, giving up on the team and blaming the owners etc. Pretty sure if I signed up I would probaly be banned within a week for responding to all the idiotic banter.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 02:02 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Win or Lose they need to put in a good effort for 60 minutes tonight.

Has anybody ever been to the message boards on the team's offical website? I just went there and Holy Crap!!!!!!! I admire everybody's passion there and we are all apart of the same small but hardcore fanbase but those guys explode after every little losing streak and poor game talking about blowing the team up, giving up on the team and blaming the owners etc. Pretty sure if I signed up I would probaly be banned within a week for responding to all the idiotic banter.
You can't imagine how many times I start writing a post over there and simply don't post it because it's not worth it...

As for your comment, definitely. The Preds face a team coming in off a high of beating the Wings last night. A solid sixty-minute effort is a must tonight which includes a fast start, discipline to keep us out of the penalty box, and special, special teams.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 02:48 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

The Stars winger situation reminds me of ours.....Its fugly to the extreme. Without Morrow and Ott, I expect the physical play to be toned down a bit that what we are used to.

12-13-2008, 03:44 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
The Stars winger situation reminds me of ours.....Its fugly to the extreme. Without Morrow and Ott, I expect the physical play to be toned down a bit that what we are used to.
... which means we need to go right at them.

Old
12-13-2008, 04:27 PM
Hanson Brothers

I really don't understand why Rinne is not the number one goalie already. He is and will be much better than Ellis. Okay, Ellis has played well the last couple of games, but Rinne was on fire just a few days ago. You only need to watch the winning percentage of each goalie to know who is the better one. Ellis has not convinced me one bit this season.

Hanson Brothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 04:27 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Just fyi, Fistric is out recovering from knee surgery. Robidas is also out with a broken jaw. Either Janik or Jancevski will play on the bottom pair.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 04:44 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanson Brothers View Post
I really don't understand why Rinne is not the number one goalie already. He is and will be much better than Ellis. Okay, Ellis has played well the last couple of games, but Rinne was on fire just a few days ago. You only need to watch the winning percentage of each goalie to know who is the better one. Ellis has not convinced me one bit this season.
Because we've got Ellis for another year or two, and we are confident in him, Rinne will have plenty of time to be starter, but for right now Ellis is in net.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 04:58 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
Just fyi, Fistric is out recovering from knee surgery. Robidas is also out with a broken jaw. Either Janik or Jancevski will play on the bottom pair.
Thanks. I wondered why there was no mention of him in any reports I found, so I just assumed him a healthy scratch that would play with Robidas now out.

Lineup is updated accordingly.

Old
12-13-2008, 04:59 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Because we've got Ellis for another year or two, and we are confident in him, Rinne will have plenty of time to be starter, but for right now Ellis is in net.
That, and he gave up 3 goals in under 15 minutes to Columbus and 4 goals in 20 minutes to Calgary. Rinne is still establishing himself at this level, and Ellis is a competent starter at the very least, so we can afford to be patient with Rinne's development and ease him into the NHL.

Old
12-13-2008, 05:11 PM
DLo

Does anyone know if Ellis is starting for sure?

DLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 05:59 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLo View Post
Does anyone know if Ellis is starting for sure?
Nope. We'll know who's starting when he comes out of the tunnel for warm-ups.

Old
12-13-2008, 06:24 PM
DLo

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Nope. We'll know who's starting when he comes out of the tunnel for warm-ups.
well thanks, so your saying that only the starter warms up. Nice one man, great joke

DLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 06:35 PM
________

vCash: 100
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Tobias Stephan will start in goal for Dallas.
http://startelegramsports.typepad.co..._for_fighting/

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 08:16 PM
Soundgarden

Oh, killer goal by Ward.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 10:05 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Ward's goal was pretty amazing. Tobias Stephen's save on Zanon was even better.

I loved the Legwand goal because we NEED players to go to the net.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 12:33 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Only four real complaints from tonight's game:

1.) Dumont's penalty was flat-out stupid on his part. He cost us a power play.
2.) Between the two of them, Erat and Legwand fart around with the puck entirely too much.
3.) This is pretty minor, but it still bothers me. We have to work on getting the puck back up high when we have it down low. Twice in the first period, Klein was sitting dead center in the high slot (very high slot, near the blue line) waiting for the puck to be kicked back out to him. The first time, nobody saw him. The second time, De Vries tries to take the shot himself and ends up turning the puck over. If that was Weber, the team would be doing everything they could to get him the puck, but not with Klein. The guy isn't freaking Zanon, let him take the shot!
4.) Near the end of the first period, we just led Dallas cycle and control the puck down in the corner and never forced them off the puck. This is where we need that one punishing physical presence on the blue line, like a Witt or a Boynton, that isn't afraid to lay the body on somebody to knock them off the puck, follow through on a hit, and break that cycle. Hamhuis and Zanon sure didn't do it very effectively.

Other than that, a few observations:

- Dallas' power play is absolutely atrocious. Easily worse than ours. Puck movement is subpar and they don't go to the net nearly as much as they should. Morrow's absence from the lineup really hurts them in this regard.
- Ellis played an excellent game tonight. He saw almost every shot he faced, and did a tremendous job head-manning a few rushes with his play on the puck, something Callahan pointed out in the post-game.
- Over the last eight games or so, I haven't really been all that impressed with Ward's play, but tonight he brought the whole package. He's really becoming a fan favorite, and I certainly wouldn't be opposed to signing him to a two-year extension (nudge, nudge).
- Ward's goal was an excellent example of his high hockey-IQ. He sees Stephan coming out to play the angle, thinking he'll take the slap shot. Ward pulls back, skates around him with some nice stick work and flips the puck into the net. Ward has some of the best vision on the team, and that was a big reason why he scored this goal, one which Smithson or Tootoo would likely have just shot into Stephan's stomach.
- I liked the game Tootoo played tonight. He played with energy, tenacity, hit when it was prudent and I liked his willingness to play down low. If he keeps playing like that, he's going to earn the trust of the staff and get himself some more ice time.
- Stephan's Vokoun impression is uncanny. He was flopping all over the place tonight. He came out of his net and played the angles even when it wasn't really prudent or necessary, something I see in the Euro elite league games and highlights I watch. He makes the style work pretty well, though, and he's certainly got some potential at only 24.
- Legwand with a really nice goal on the second tally. Smithson and Tootoo do a great job of controlling the puck along the boards, and Legwand takes it out of the corner, driving the net with Tootoo running a screen. He flips it in under the five-hole, but it's hard to say Stephan ever saw the original shot with a pair of bodies (Tootoo and the Dallas defenseman) in front of the net. Legwand played a solid game tonight and he deserved a goal.
- That Tootoo-Bonk-Smithson line is really coming together. I wish we could pick up another scorer and bump Smithson off of that line in favor of Ward so it could be that much better of a third line.
- I thought Peverley had a decent game. He seems to be playing a bit more aggressively and is getting his confidence back.
- If Pihlström can ever find his finish consistently at this level, he's going to be one hell of a hockey player. He's an absolute firecracker out there and is also effective on the penalty kill.
- Didn't think Arnott had that great of a game. His timing just seemed a touch off, but that's all it takes.
- I wanted to bring up something that Grimson brought up in post-game: Zanon's shot blocking ability. Stu talked about how some guys are just hard-wired for shot-blocking or open-ice hitting. It's something you can't really teach. I think that's what makes Zanon such an effective defenseman, and it's why the coaching staff (and myself, as well) trust him on the ice when we need to hold a lead in a tight game.

I didn't think we played extremely well, but we played well and certainly played better than Dallas. This was a great way to close out a week of frustrating hockey. We still need a forward with more skill, preferably one who can play the boards and corners as effectively as Ward (the main reason he's on the first line).

Old
12-14-2008, 12:43 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
I didn't think we played extremely well, but we played well and certainly played better than Dallas.
Story of Dallas's season thus far, constantly getting outplayed. A plethora of injuries to several key players certainly doesn't help, but results like tonight are just totally disheartening. And lately, quite predictable. I was practically livid watching the game tonight, the way the Stars produced almost nothing offensively, even on the PP. Wasted a great effort by Stephan, a rookie goalie who's barely used thanks to overconfidence in a very shaky starter.

Things aren't right in Dallas at the moment, kudos on getting the 2 points against what is right now a far weaker team.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 12:55 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Story of Dallas's season thus far, constantly getting outplayed. A plethora of injuries to several key players certainly doesn't help, but results like tonight are just totally disheartening. And lately, quite predictable. I was practically livid watching the game tonight, the way the Stars produced almost nothing offensively, even on the PP. Wasted a great effort by Stephan, a rookie goalie who's barely used thanks to overconfidence in a very shaky starter.

Things aren't right in Dallas at the moment, kudos on getting the 2 points against what is right now a far weaker team.
Well you can start with your defense, a patchwork of fringe players, a has-been, some inexperienced kids, and Matt Niskanen. But at least you're not cornering the market on them like Tampa.

Goaltending-wise, I like Stephan as a medium-term option while Beskorowany and Bachman develop.

Up front, you guys are solid up the middle in the short-term, and can fill that hole at #3C when Modano retires in a few years' time (does Ott still play center at all?). On the wings, you guys have Brunnström, Eriksson, and Morrow, all solid top six wingers, with Neal on the upswing, but there isn't a lot of immediate-term talent or depth on the wings.

Dallas have a good team in the long-term, though, with a couple of key players to build around, but the Stars seem more geared towards winning now, something they aren't likely to do. This could be a good year to make some trades and get some returns on players you don't expect to have in the organization much longer.

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 12-14-2008 at 01:16 AM.