HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

In Praise of DeBoer

Old
12-13-2008, 11:15 AM
SufferingCatFan

vCash: 500
In Praise of DeBoer

Allen is out for the season. Stillman, Horton, Booth and Zednick are injured. Still the team is winning. Let us give the coach some much deserved credit.

One hallmark of a winning team is that players understand their roles. As DeBoer said of Belak, prior to trading him: "Fighters are supposed to fight and he isn't fighting." Another hallmark is that the coach holds each player accountable and plays those that deserve to play based on their performance. That is why Anderson is playing and Vokoun is not. Another hallmark is that, in time, the players hold each other accountable. That is currently a work in progress.

DeBoer has worked wonders...

SufferingCatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 12:04 PM
harv3317

agreed, super job. hopefully the team continues to buy into the system and i couldn't agree more about the belak quote!!!!!!!

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 12:26 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SufferingCatFan View Post
Allen is out for the season. Stillman, Horton, Booth and Zednick are injured. Still the team is winning. Let us give the coach some much deserved credit.

One hallmark of a winning team is that players understand their roles. As DeBoer said of Belak, prior to trading him: "Fighters are supposed to fight and he isn't fighting." Another hallmark is that the coach holds each player accountable and plays those that deserve to play based on their performance. That is why Anderson is playing and Vokoun is not. Another hallmark is that, in time, the players hold each other accountable. That is currently a work in progress.

DeBoer has worked wonders...
um... didn't JM ride andy last year as well? just sayin'...

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 12:50 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
um... didn't JM ride andy last year as well? just sayin'...
Not really. Andy got that seven game winning streak started last season, I believe winning the first three, but Vokoun took care of the rest. If anything, Martin didnt play him enough, even though he wasnt that sharp early in the season.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 01:01 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Not really. Andy got that seven game winning streak started last season, I believe winning the first three, but Vokoun took care of the rest. If anything, Martin didnt play him enough, even though he wasnt that sharp early in the season.
well, remember, vokoun had a solid season (he was an all-star). there wasn't really a need to give andy a ton of starts. he got more starts down the stretch but didn't supplant vokoun because a) he did falter a bit after a few games in a row and b) vokoun wasn't as shaky as he's been this year.

anyhow, point being i don't buy the accountability bit.

Old
12-13-2008, 01:04 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
anyhow, point being i don't buy the accountability bit.
There is an argument with the goaltending, but there is more accountability with the forwards and defense this year in my opinion.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 01:27 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
There is an argument with the goaltending, but there is more accountability with the forwards and defense this year in my opinion.
there is? didn't JM bench olesz last year? people tend to forget all that stuff. to the extent there is more accountability, it's because there are more options, i.e. better depth.

Old
12-13-2008, 01:36 PM
Rattrick

Quote:
there is? didn't JM bench olesz last year? people tend to forget all that stuff. to the extent there is more accountability, it's because there are more options, i.e. better depth.
No, I didn't forget about Olesz. I don't care WHY it has happened (man, you redirect better that a politician), but it has happened and that's what people here are saying.

Old
12-13-2008, 02:12 PM
Pukboy5kroner

Quote:
I think that while JM benched and penalized players last year, the team as a whole just didn't react to it. He cut Olli's minutes toward the end of the season, he benched Olesz for a brief moment, but the team as a whole didn't seem to get the message. I think it is entirely possible that the team simply buys into what Deboer is doing, and have been willing to give him their best. Over the last couple of weeks, Bouwmeester has been playing his best hockey as a Panther, and he actually looks like he is enjoying himself out on the ice. Whatever reasoning people want to attribute to the Panthers' play lately doesn't really matter as much as the results.

Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 02:13 PM
Laus723
Future Now

There's a lot that factors into this team's current success. Not having Olli and whatever went on in the locker room seems to have broghtened things a bit. Look at them after these wins, it's almost like playoff games the way they rally around each other.

The defensemen, while still allowing a ton of shots, they're shots that the goalies are able to see the whole way. The transition game has been huge (I agree with Zero there), McCabe's shot really opens up lanes.

We don't take as many penalties it seems, at least not usually dumb ones late in games. The main penalty-takers have been shown the door.

And yes, DeBoer's agressive system and us not sitting back on leads has greatly helped. On top of that, though, these guys are learning to execute that system.

The stretch where we lost like we did still has me concerned, though, they need to understand why that happened, learn from it, and stay away from it.

12-13-2008, 02:25 PM
39ontheline

I am finally happy we have a winning product down here for however long it lasts. Deboer's system seems to be working but it needs a guy like Jay bo to keep it together IMO. I hope Jay re-signs, because if he doesnt it's back to square 1

39ontheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 02:27 PM
Panthers/Leafs fan

I think he's done a very good job as well. There was a reason he was so heavily pursued last year--one wonders where Ottawa would be now if DeBoer were coaching them instead.

That said, I think his next--very large--challenge will be to integrate the injured players when they return. And that will tell us loads about DeBoer. If Horton comes back lazy, and sits, or gets traded, then you know there's something really good in the works here.

Panthers/Leafs fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 03:01 PM
Rattrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
We don't take as many penalties it seems, at least not usually dumb ones late in games. The main penalty-takers have been shown the door.
I definitely agree that the penalties are down which is great, but the reason I'd like to debate a bit. We have certainly rid ourselves of the stupid penalty guys over the past few years (credit JM here). Guys like Mezei, Gelinas, Salei, Gratton, etc. However, Mezei is the only guy that was on last years team and not this years which should show that PDBs system has really helped more than anything.

Old
12-13-2008, 03:33 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
I definitely agree that the penalties are down which is great, but the reason I'd like to debate a bit. We have certainly rid ourselves of the stupid penalty guys over the past few years (credit JM here). Guys like Mezei, Gelinas, Salei, Gratton, etc. However, Mezei is the only guy that was on last years team and not this years which should show that PDBs system has really helped more than anything.
Salei and Mezei were here, but I agree, DeBoer's system and the transition game has helped a lot. The overall speed has helped and it seems that these guys playing as a cohesive unit who go out and congratulate each other after these games like they has helped them play more responsible.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 04:00 PM
zeroG

Quote:
No, I didn't forget about Olesz. I don't care WHY it has happened (man, you redirect better that a politician), but it has happened and that's what people here are saying.
i'm not redirecting, i'm discussing, debating, trying to understand this phenomenon! i don't disagree that they're playing well. hell, i said after that first ranger game that it was, perhaps, a more important home stand than we could understand. i said last night that i really think this team has turned a corner, that they are learning how to win. i love talking hockey anytime but it's much more enjoyable to talk about winning, rather than the unpleasantness of last year. i'm in agreement about where the team is right now. i just don't think it's because of some obvious thing that PBD's doing that JM didn't.

actually, i'd go further than that, i don't think it's a negative thing at all, i think it's a positive thing. i think the guys (fortunately) got a few bounces and were rewarded for a lot of hard work in that carolina game. as a result, it continued on against NJ and when rewarded, continued on against the rangers. it became a self-perpetuating thing that morphed into the identity that PDB's been trying to forge. they'll probably hit a rough patch or two yet but they've been shown as a group now that hard work will be rewarded and have also demonstrated confidence and a strong desire to win so i have
faith that, provided PDB can manage to keep the team together when it's top line guys come back, they'll pull through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukboy5kroner View Post
I think that while JM benched and penalized players last year, the team as a whole just didn't react to it. He cut Olli's minutes toward the end of the season, he benched Olesz for a brief moment, but the team as a whole didn't seem to get the message. I think it is entirely possible that the team simply buys into what Deboer is doing, and have been willing to give him their best. Over the last couple of weeks, Bouwmeester has been playing his best hockey as a Panther, and he actually looks like he is enjoying himself out on the ice. Whatever reasoning people want to attribute to the Panthers' play lately doesn't really matter as much as the results.
right. i agree. JM pulled the levers available to him as a coach. as a GM, he knew he had to remake the room but he had cohen telling him and the world, he couldn't trade olli. i think you're right about the team buying and i'm really happy they were rewarded for the hard work in those games a couple of weeks ago. i think it cemented a solid work ethic which should carry them through the next rough patch.

Old
12-13-2008, 04:24 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
In all honesty the praise can go anywhere at this point. This streak we're on is a combination of a lot of things. Coaching is a factor, team mentality is a factor, but we can't forget that, despite the fact that we've had pretty terrible luck with drafting prospects, that finally a wave of kids can come in and actually contribute. We're not use to this, but after 5 years of picking up players in the 1st and 2nd round, we may not have too many flashy superstars, but these kids are turning into hockey players. They're the ones who are playing well enough to allow this team to win games. Repik, McCardle, Glass, Campbell, Frolik, Kreps and Stewart are all draft picks from the last 5 years and have all come in and contributed with solid play. Some more then others, but the team is working as a whole. A lot of these kids have character and that's important, and from the sounds of it, all the guys from last year's draft will have the same mentality coming in to play for this franchise.

I like the culture that DeBoer has brought here.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 05:09 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthiasitchy View Post
In all honesty the praise can go anywhere at this point. This streak we're on is a combination of a lot of things. Coaching is a factor, team mentality is a factor, but we can't forget that, despite the fact that we've had pretty terrible luck with drafting prospects, that finally a wave of kids can come in and actually contribute. We're not use to this, but after 5 years of picking up players in the 1st and 2nd round, we may not have too many flashy superstars, but these kids are turning into hockey players. They're the ones who are playing well enough to allow this team to win games. Repik, McCardle, Glass, Campbell, Frolik, Kreps and Stewart are all draft picks from the last 5 years and have all come in and contributed with solid play. Some more then others, but the team is working as a whole. A lot of these kids have character and that's important, and from the sounds of it, all the guys from last year's draft will have the same mentality coming in to play for this franchise.

I like the culture that DeBoer has brought here.
good point. give them credit too. spread it around. interestingly, just read this on billy lindsay's blog:

Quote:
Peter Deboer has said the injuries have been a blessing for this team as it has forced them to come together.
give credit to the injuries too!

and this last point:

Quote:
I love that this franchise record road winning streak has come while the Panthers are making their western Canadian swing. There is no better way to put Florida hockey back on the radar screen than by wooping up on storied Canadian franchises that rarely get a chance to play the Panthers. People are starting to take notice as the Cats are back on the prowl.
this kinda explains the feeling i had last night watching the game and i think everyone in that room feels it too (incl jay); i don't know if they've arrived quite yet but they are raising some eyebrows and when you listen to the pregames, you get a good sense of that.

Old
12-13-2008, 07:06 PM
Rattrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Salei and Mezei were here, but I agree, DeBoer's system and the transition game has helped a lot. The overall speed has helped and it seems that these guys playing as a cohesive unit who go out and congratulate each other after these games like they has helped them play more responsible.
Good point. I forgot about Salei.