HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Petr Vrana

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-12-2008, 05:36 PM
  #26
Titan124
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,683
vCash: 500
Hm, he has more goals than Jeff Tambellini...

Titan124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 05:46 PM
  #27
danishh
Dat Stache
 
danishh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: mtl/ott/somewhere
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,654
vCash: 50
question: does he have the ability to score a goal? Our team could really use that. You said he was bad on right wing...would that still apply if it was heatley-spezza's right wing?

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 07:09 PM
  #28
Snipeshow
Registered User
 
Snipeshow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newmarket, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,667
vCash: 500
I could see somebody giving him a chance.

Dallas would make sense at this point to try anything. Maybe the Islanders or Sens.

Snipeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 09:32 PM
  #29
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!
 
Mike Farkas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
question: does he have the ability to score a goal? Our team could really use that. You said he was bad on right wing...would that still apply if it was heatley-spezza's right wing?
Nah, Vrana is not really that type of player...he doesn't really have a strong niche yet, but I'm pretty confident he won't be a wandering top-sixer...his highest potential is that of the aforementioned Sergei Brylin...

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 09:33 PM
  #30
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988
 
Classic Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 33,369
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
Nah, Vrana is not really that type of player...he doesn't really have a strong niche yet, but I'm pretty confident he won't be a wandering top-sixer...his highest potential is that of the aforementioned Sergei Brylin...
Brylin's best years were spent as a 20 goal top-6 winger. Left wing, mostly, but some right, some center.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 09:42 PM
  #31
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!
 
Mike Farkas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
Brylin's best years were spent as a 20 goal top-6 winger. Left wing, mostly, but some right, some center.
Hmm...upon further (or, I guess initial) review of Brylin's career numbers, he has accumulated a couple more points than I thought...I still liken him to Brylin, maybe he won't put up quite as many unless he finds a really good situation...you see another Brylin in him, Classic?

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 10:36 PM
  #32
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988
 
Classic Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 33,369
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
Hmm...upon further (or, I guess initial) review of Brylin's career numbers, he has accumulated a couple more points than I thought...I still liken him to Brylin, maybe he won't put up quite as many unless he finds a really good situation...you see another Brylin in him, Classic?
Vrana has all the tools Brylin had, and I think he's as smart at the game as Brylin was, so I do. The thing is Vrana hasn't been able to play quality defense at the NHL level yet, forwards run around or through him. His icetime was consequently cut, not giving him a chance to show his offensive skills. He's got the tools, he just needs to work on his defensive game.

At his age, though, Brylin was a better forward and far better defensively, so Vrana has some catching up to do.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 01:24 AM
  #33
Niedermayer21
Registered User
 
Niedermayer21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Limbo
Country: United States
Posts: 2,306
vCash: 500
Sergei Brylin was a very underrated player. He was small but he was tough as nails and could play in any situation on any line. Petr Vrana may have the potential to put up more points than Sarge, but he will never be the all-around player Brylin was. The more he played, the more I appreciated Sergei. Not a goal scorer but if you needed one, he would give his all. Worked his little butt off. Very intense. A real leader. "Baby Face" Brylin was a killer. Unless you watched him game in and game out, you could not discern how important he was to the team by his stats.

If Vrana isn't claimed I would be amazed. I could see him going to the Islanders or Thrashers. Another waste of a pick. I think the kid has potential but wasn't really given a shot. I could have seen him platooning with Mike Rupp at left wing on the Devils' fourth line.

Very disappointing and a little upsetting. Bergfors is looking more and more like a bust. I don't know about Mike Hoeffel. I think Nick Palmieri and Matt Halischuk will be very good NHL players. Vasyunov should make the Devils in the next year or so. The same goes for Corrente and Eckford. Jeff Frazee is playing well in Lowell but he is not the next "King Martin" Brodeur.

I think we just lucked out by drafting Zach Parise. Paul Martin was a nice find. So was Zajac. Madden was a free agent, as was Johnny Willdoya and David Clarkson. So was Andy Greene. Salmela looks like a nice FA pickup. But it seems we have more "Adrian Fosters" than "Zach Parises." Too many "David Hales," "Suglobovs." etc.

Bleeping Bleep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck Petr!!!

Niedermayer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 06:09 AM
  #34
fIREnIcE
Registered User
 
fIREnIcE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 2,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niedermayer27 View Post
Sergei Brylin was a very underrated player. He was small but he was tough as nails and could play in any situation on any line. Petr Vrana may have the potential to put up more points than Sarge, but he will never be the all-around player Brylin was. The more he played, the more I appreciated Sergei. Not a goal scorer but if you needed one, he would give his all. Worked his little butt off. Very intense. A real leader. "Baby Face" Brylin was a killer. Unless you watched him game in and game out, you could not discern how important he was to the team by his stats.

If Vrana isn't claimed I would be amazed. I could see him going to the Islanders or Thrashers. Another waste of a pick. I think the kid has potential but wasn't really given a shot. I could have seen him platooning with Mike Rupp at left wing on the Devils' fourth line.

Very disappointing and a little upsetting. Bergfors is looking more and more like a bust. I don't know about Mike Hoeffel. I think Nick Palmieri and Matt Halischuk will be very good NHL players. Vasyunov should make the Devils in the next year or so. The same goes for Corrente and Eckford. Jeff Frazee is playing well in Lowell but he is not the next "King Martin" Brodeur.

I think we just lucked out by drafting Zach Parise. Paul Martin was a nice find. So was Zajac. Madden was a free agent, as was Johnny Willdoya and David Clarkson. So was Andy Greene. Salmela looks like a nice FA pickup. But it seems we have more "Adrian Fosters" than "Zach Parises." Too many "David Hales," "Suglobovs." etc.Bleeping Bleep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck Petr!!!
Very well said I agree with everything...I just dont think it was wise to to put him through now, as you said platoon him, Rupp has played well and he has become a very good fighter, much better than he was and his game is more dynamic(playin better d, hitting, creating 4th linne chances which we havent had in a long time although they cant finish) scorinng has just vanished and there was very little to begin with.

Having Vrana there in games when you can carry Clarkson or Slavador to handle middleweights(yes we need Rupp against the Flyers/Rangers) but sometimes it would pay off to have a skilled player on the 4th line but thats just me, im no Lou or Sutter and were winning so In Them I Trust.

I hope he amkes it through, most have but he is young, has skilll and make min so I think a team will pick him up.

fIREnIcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 06:11 AM
  #35
fIREnIcE
Registered User
 
fIREnIcE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 2,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
question: does he have the ability to score a goal? Our team could really use that. You said he was bad on right wing...would that still apply if it was heatley-spezza's right wing?
Yeah hes just not there yet...it would work with them he needs to work his way up...I really think it will be on a team likethe isles columbus trashers or bolts

fIREnIcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 12:24 PM
  #36
ChicoEats
Formerly Ziggyluc
 
ChicoEats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,498
vCash: 500
He cleared.

http://njmg.typepad.com/devilsblog/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG

Devils rookie center Petr Vrana cleared waivers today and was officially assigned to Lowell.

Teams had until noon today to claim Vrana, but none did, so he remains Devils' property.

Vrana, 23, has been in Lowell on a conditioning assignment. Now, he is officially off the Devils' NHL roster, but can be recalled without clearing re-entry waivers because the AHL salary on his two-way contract is below the $100,000 limit.

ChicoEats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 09:32 PM
  #37
Niedermayer21
Registered User
 
Niedermayer21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Limbo
Country: United States
Posts: 2,306
vCash: 500
I really believe that the GMs cut deals with each other not to pick up certain players. You may see Lou send someone a "gift" for not taking Vrana.

I remember hearing that the Rangers waived Eddie Giacomin back in the mid-1970s so that the Red Wings could pick him up for a "favor" Detroit did for New York a few years earlier. What that "favor" was, I don't remember. But I believe that these things happen. In fact, it would be naive to believe they don't!

BTW, fIREnIcE, thanks for the kind words!!!

Niedermayer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.