HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So I Met Mats Sundin

Old
12-14-2008, 12:52 AM
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE

vCash: 500
So I Met Mats Sundin

Like the title says, I won an online poker tournament at PokerStars where the top few runners won a package to go to New York City for a few days at a hotel in midtown, hang out, and have dinner and see a game in a suite in the Garden with Mats Sundin. I have to say he was just great, gracious, engaging, and well spoken. I had a great time.

Before anyone reads further, he was noncomittal to start about his decision on whether or not to play and where he might go. I didn't want to be rude and press the issue, so I left it at that. He did say he would make up his mind before the New Year.

We met Mats at Blue Fin in Midtown at around 3 PM. Several of the other winners were from Sweden, so it was like meeting their national icon/hero. He's big over there. So that was kinda funny to see their reactions to him.

We started talking about various things and as the dinner went on, I started to talk more and more hockey. A lot was spoken and I'd like to think he was impressed with me (even said I should write a column, haha) and my knowledge of the game. I'll try to separate off some of the more interesting tidbits that stick in my mind. This stuff is of course largely paraphrased.

Mats didn't even really know he was a big deal until he was about 17 years old. Said he knew of some concept of the NHL draft but not really, he also played soccer, some sport I can't remember he compared to field hockey on ice, and other sports. Then of course he was #1 but it's kind of interesting that in his own mind he was just a kid playing until relatively late.

I asked him about his time in Quebec and he said he loved it there, that they were very passionate. He had a low opinion of Eric Lindros for what he did at the time around when he was drafted, but came to know him later (on the Leafs) and thought he was a great guy. Just got some bad advice/parents. Nothing new there. Said he was a monster to play and difficult to handle, and brought up the head down stuff. Commented on him having a hard time in New York and when I mentioned concussions and hand/eye coordination loss he seemed to agree.

We spoke about some general hockey ideas. He thought the Bertuzzi incident was more a bad/dumb reaction than premeditated malice. He noted Bertuzzi was fantastic up to about that point and his career went downhill after, though he's picking it up again. We talked about far worse plays that happen in the speed of the game, the Cam Janssen elbow to Tomas Kaberle, some Michael Peca late hits and how karma ends up getting you (remember Darcy Tucker took out his knees).

I asked him about Ed Belfour and his habits. Mats thought he was a great competitor and a great goalie. Thought he went too far off-ice but didn't think that stuff affected him in games or in practice. Nothing like showing up drunk or anything. Lots of respect.

We of course spoke about Lundqvist in the most glowing terms. He had some stat that Henrik gave up 2 goals or fewer in 46? games last year and he thought it was incredible. Thinks he's league MVP.

He asked me about my thoughts on the Rangers lately. We joked a bit about the 8-5 loss and that not impacting his decision! I got across that I thought the Rangers were very tired from their compressed early season schedule and hadn't gotten nearly enough practice time to hone their defensive play and in the last 10 games it had caught up with them. But I said I didn't think they could play any worse and they were still 19-11 so they would only improve on that.

He asked me interesting who I was impressed with and not so much on the Rangers. I offered up Naslund, Orr, Mara, and of course Lundqvist. On the disappointed side I brought up Redden and the strange saga of Prucha and Dawes. I gave reasons for each but was optimistic about Prucha (no playing time, 30 goal scorer, they stopped putting him on the off wing which was curious). He seemed sufficiently impressed.

During the game he was of course busy with his agent, people he met with in the box, his blackberry (?), and of course the game. In between periods I got him to sign a Rangers jersey I bought at the Garden that I got personalized with Sundin on the back and the number 13 (Zherdev who?). Maybe plant a seed in his mind?

He did note to me a few game flow things, was critical of Sergei Samsonov cherry picking and sitting by the goal on the PP doing nothing. Also pointed out how Henke had intimidated Carolina into not shooting on their power plays and especially that 5 on 3. For my part I stole Rodent's idea about the Carolina point men being too close in and making it easy to defend (didn't give credit then obviously, but here it is now!). The tension ebbed and flowed during the game, some of the guys in the box got a kick out of me yelling at Girardi for not diving to keep the puck in or something, I went a little nuts.

Once the middle of the 3rd period hit, he was confident because Lundqvist is of course God in shootouts. He had little worry and we soon parted company after Drury had that incredible hesitation in round 5.

All in all it was an awesome experience. I've recalled all I can but if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask them. Mats has a personal fan for life.

Last edited by Evil Sather: 12-14-2008 at 01:20 AM.
Evil Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 12:59 AM
NYR Viper

wow.....sounds like a great night, you are very lucky. Sounds like a great guy and from everything i have heard that is him to a "T". Hopefully we will see him soon with the rangers.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 01:01 AM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
We really couldn't get past one response without a configuration of lines could we?

Jarkko Immonen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 01:02 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen View Post
We really couldn't get past one response without a configuration of lines could we?
yea, i think im gonna delete those.....i realized that this isnt the thread to do so after i posted them

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE

That reminds me, we talked about the Leafs and how they seemed to gravitate towards him playing with larger players and making offense off the end boards (Ponikarovski, Antropov, Renberg, Roberts, LOL Jonas Hoglund). So I might suggest Voros on his left would be the most natural fit perhaps.

He did say that he reminds Hoglund when they speak that he kept him in the league another few years and he owes him .

Old
Bury Your Head

Sounds awesome dude, and I apologize about before. I've just had a really bad night, and the whole fiasco was just a case of my misplaced anger.

I'm really sorry.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 01:03 AM
GoNikolaiZherdevGo

As my man Ali G would say, Boo ya kasha.

I wonder if the garden has all the mats merch ready to go.

GoNikolaiZherdevGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 01:04 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

That's awesome, Evil. Congrats. I've got a few questions for ya:

1) Mats always seems like such a commanding figure on the ice and even in interviews, like a viking, like Thor, with less hair or something. Is he like that in person?

2) How many of you guys were there, meaning the prize-winners? And when he pointed things out to you during the game, was it one-on-one stuff, or to the group or what?

I met Adam Graves at Bryant Park a few years ago, it wasn't as long or as cool as your experience, but it's one I'll never forget either. Those kinds of things, when as an adult you can meet your childhood idols, are always kind of surreal.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 01:04 AM
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR6814 View Post
Sounds awesome dude, and I apologize about before. I've just had a really bad night, and the whole fiasco was just a case of my misplaced anger.

I'm really sorry.
Forgotten. We won, let's rejoice!

Old
12-14-2008, 01:07 AM
Bury Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
1) Mats always seems like such a commanding figure on the ice and even in interviews, like a viking, like Thor, with less hair or something. Is he like that in person?
You know, I thought the same. He always reminded me of Pinhead from the "Hellraiser" movie.

Old
12-14-2008, 01:09 AM
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
That's awesome, Evil. Congrats. I've got a few questions for ya:

2) How many of you guys were there, meaning the prize-winners? And when he pointed things out to you during the game, was it one-on-one stuff, or to the group or what?

I met Adam Graves at Bryant Park a few years ago, it wasn't as long or as cool as your experience, but it's one I'll never forget either. Those kinds of things, when as an adult you can meet your childhood idols, are always kind of surreal.
1) He's certainly big (6'4) and could crush most mortals easily but no, he was so friendly and engaging I never felt physically intimidated.

2) I think there were 8 other prize winners. Some came for the trip from Sweden, one guy flew out from Portland who only got there today?, one worked in the city and was in and out all weekend. The stuff he pointed out were directed to me, I don't think he could have spoken over the noise to the whole box. He's not a particularly loud guy, but that seems characteristics of Swedes from my exp.

Also, funny story. I was hauling ass back to the suite in the middle of the 2nd period (missed hte 2nd Carolina goal) because I was doing the jersey stuff and it took forever, and ran past Adam Graves in the hall without recognizing him. Smiled and said hello. Once I got in the box I said "I missed Adam Graves didn't I" and they said yes. Whoops!

Old
12-14-2008, 01:12 AM
Bury Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Sather View Post
1) He's certainly big (6'4) and could crush most mortals easily but no, he was so friendly and engaging I never felt physically intimidated.

2) I think there were 8 other prize winners. Some came for the trip from Sweden, one guy flew out from Portland who only got there today?, one worked in the city and was in and out all weekend. The stuff he pointed out were directed to me, I don't think he could have spoken over the noise to the whole box. He's not a particularly loud guy, but that seems characteristics of Swedes from my exp.

Also, funny story. I was hauling ass back to the suite in the middle of the 2nd period (missed hte 2nd Carolina goal) because I was doing the jersey stuff and it took forever, and ran past Adam Graves in the hall without recognizing him. Smiled and said hello. Once I got in the box I said "I missed Adam Graves didn't I" and they said yes. Whoops!
I met Adam Graves by accident while leaving the Garden after that awful game against Calgary. He is an amazing human being.

Old
12-14-2008, 01:16 AM
levski87

Evil : Were you the guy with glasses and sort of spikey hair, they showed one guy like that on MSG talking to Sundin. BTW, thanks for replying to my message about this whole thread.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 01:19 AM
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
Evil : Were you the guy with glasses and sort of spikey hair, they showed one guy like that on MSG talking to Sundin. BTW, thanks for replying to my message about this whole thread.
I believe that was Henrik, one of the PR guys from PokerStars for our trip. We joked about the crowd chanting his name (HEN-RIK) and he remarked that he didn't think they knew he was coming (Scandis have this wonderful dry wit, maybe its the English conversion but it's srsly great).

Old
12-14-2008, 01:26 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Let's do this. The guy is a name that will pop up when talking about hockey legends. One of the best the game of hockey has ever seen. He is what Lindros could have been, if Lindros had stayed healthy. They are similar players. Players that can change a team BY THEMSELVES. His signing by the Rangers could very well be a turning point for this franchise, in terms of the short-term.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 01:28 AM
squishy

Great story, thanks for sharing!

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 01:30 AM
Bury Your Head

I know this is really nerdy, but I bought a pack of hockey cards during the summer and I pulled a Sundin nameplate card, with the letter "I" from a game-used jersey of his. It's serial numbered 5/6 (there are 6 letters in "Sundin"). I posted it up on a hockey card forum because I was so excited and some Maple Leafs fan offered me $800 for it but I turned him down. The only way I'd ever let go of this card is if I were to trade it for a Jagr one. Otherwise, my kids are getting it.

Old
12-14-2008, 01:37 AM
Pogo

Sound like a hell of an experience man!
If the positive things you said about the Rangers influences his decision directly (i.e him saying at the press conference that he was on the fence until he met Evil Sather, who made the decision into a no brainer) then HF->Rangers board should pony up and send you one beer a day for the duration of Sundin's Ranger career.

Pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 01:38 AM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR6814 View Post
You know, I thought the same. He always reminded me of Pinhead from the "Hellraiser" movie.
LMAO.

Anyway, that's awesome Evil. Sign up Sundin!

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 01:42 AM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

What was his reaction to the Sundin Rangers Jerseys. Like kind of laugh it off or what? I know you've said he was very noncommittal, but was there any point where he might have slipped up a bit. Sounds to me when he's talking about Henke, that the odds could look good for us.

MrEctions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 01:45 AM
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
Sound like a hell of an experience man!
If the positive things you said about the Rangers influences his decision directly (i.e him saying at the press conference that he was on the fence until he met Evil Sather, who made the decision into a no brainer) then HF->Rangers board should pony up and send you one beer a day for the duration of Sundin's Ranger career.
LOL thanks. I'd accept.

I was positive but very realistic. I didn't tell him Betts could score 30 with better linemates or anything. I talked about some of our defensive struggles. I gave him a detailed, honest, sober assessment of our team because what, I'm gonna blow smoke up Mats Sundin's rear end? I think because I was the way I was, he may have even taken some of my opinions seriously. One can hope!

And FWIW, people are way overly negative sky is falling about this team. And I mean TEAM. Because for all the stuff we hate about it, Henrik erases a staggering amount of mistakes and if we iron those out, this is an ELITE team. Sundin as a sorely needed top 6 forward, goes a long way toward that.

Old
12-14-2008, 01:49 AM
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykedout66 View Post
What was his reaction to the Sundin Rangers Jerseys. Like kind of laugh it off or what? I know you've said he was very noncommittal, but was there any point where he might have slipped up a bit. Sounds to me when he's talking about Henke, that the odds could look good for us.
He liked them? I don't know. He didn't slip because he didn't speak of it except to start dinner. I frequently said things letting him know he was really wanted (Zherdev went down for something, I looked at him and said "hey, quick, we need another 13!"), about another top 6 guy, but he never really responded, maybe a smile but that was it.

Lundqvist is a huge point in our favor, probably the biggest one. But he plays with him on their National Team, so I don't know if you can put a ton of stock into it. I personally still think he ends up in Vancouver. But I hope I'm wrong.

Old
12-14-2008, 01:52 AM
Bury Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Sather View Post
He liked them? I don't know. He didn't slip because he didn't speak of it except to start dinner. I frequently said things letting him know he was really wanted (Zherdev went down for something, I looked at him and said "hey, quick, we need another 13!"), about another top 6 guy, but he never really responded, maybe a smile but that was it.

Lundqvist is a huge point in our favor, probably the biggest one. But he plays with him on their National Team, so I don't know if you can put a ton of stock into it. I personally still think he ends up in Vancouver. But I hope I'm wrong.
I really don't think he's going to sign with us. Just sort of have a feeling.

Old
12-14-2008, 01:52 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
That's an awesome story, sounds like a hell of a night. I always thought Sundin was a good guy..honestly, I'd love to have him here, but I don't know how feasible it would be. Nevertheless, good stuff.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 02:00 AM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Were u the guy with the NYR Sundin jersey?

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote