HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Danny Syvret

Old
11-05-2008, 06:02 AM
Dayne

vCash: 500
Danny Syvret

Do you think Syvret has any potential NHL future ? could he be called up this year , we have so much dmen (taling about depth) ?
any infos on how he is playing right now would be much apreciated
thanks

Dayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 06:22 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayne View Post
Do you think Syvret has any potential NHL future ? could he be called up this year , we have so much dmen (taling about depth) ?
any infos on how he is playing right now would be much apreciated
thanks
He's playing well in the AHL. Hes putting up a decent amount of points I believe, but it is the AHL so take it for what it is.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 07:43 AM
Kaktus*

Potulny has 8pts all of them are goals.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 07:58 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
i actually like potulny. i was sad to see him go.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 08:01 AM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
i actually like potulny. i was sad to see him go.
Ditto that. I know in the long run that no one is safe, but I really thought he wouldn't be going anywhere. He was easily my favorite Phantom. It's all good though. I have Giroux and I guess Downie to follow on the Phantoms now.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 08:12 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
Ditto that. I know in the long run that no one is safe, but I really thought he wouldn't be going anywhere. He was easily my favorite Phantom. It's all good though. I have Giroux and I guess Downie to follow on the Phantoms now.
and maybe nodl in the future. poor downie is in limbo between the phantoms and the flyers.

Old
12-11-2008, 04:25 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

As of today, through 26 games with the Phantoms, Syvret leads the team with 25 points. He is tied for the league lead in points by a defenseman along with one other guy, and beyond that the next closest player is 9 points behind. No other d-man on the Phantoms has even half the points Syvret does. And it's not like he's getting it done with some out of this world offense...the Phantoms are above average in goals scored leaguewide, but there are certainly some teams scoring more than them. For instance, the Hershey Bears have scored 32 more goals! The Phantoms have 82 GF and the Bears have 114 GF.

So, the question is...how much longer do you let him pile up points in the AHL before you give him a look? Considering the situation now with Carle, I wonder if the thought of giving him a look is being entertained. At least maybe between now and the time Jones is ready.

I've never seen the guy play, though....who here has? What do you have to say about him? I guess his defense isn't the greatest, otherwise he'd already be playing full-time with the big boys...but is he terrible? Does this guy look like a forward playing defense or what? I'm also assuming he's a puckmover. Is that true? How good is he at it? How's his skating? How fast is he? What are his greatest attributes?

He's a -1, but that's not necessarily much of a concern...the Phantoms goal differential is only +6, and I imagine he's on the top pairing and seeing a lot of ice against the opponent's best players.

On a side note, the +/- of most of the Phantoms seems to be hovering at or near even, aside from a few exceptions...
Ross +7
Bellamy -8
Matsumoto -12...ouch

One other side note...Giroux is now tied for 2nd in the league in points amongst rookies with 24.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 04:28 PM
CharlieGirl

I haven't seen him play in a year or two, but Syvret has great smarts and patience, and is terrific on the PP. His biggest problem (I think) is his size.

I'd love to see him get a shot with the Flyers, but not if he's only going to see 5 minutes of ice time. If that's the case, leave him with the Phantoms.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 05:12 PM
phlocky

Syvret has what ittakes to be a very good AHL dman but he will ALWAYS be over matched at the NHL level. He could MAYBE become a 3rd pairing or 7th dman but he'll never become a guy that you WANT to see out there. He will just never be able to match the speed, skill and reaction time of the NHL forwards. He's about topped out in his potential right now and that's not nearly good enough for the NHL.

Honestly, think Neil Little when you think of Svyret, very good AHL player but clearly not NHL material. There are career AHL players and you need some of them around to add stability to the team with the constant turnover in personel due guys moving on the NHL and such. If Svyret believes he's truly NHL material then he'll probably move on and try and land with a tema that may give him a shot. If he accepts his role then he could stay with the Flyers organization for many years.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 05:15 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Syvret has what ittakes to be a very good AHL dman but he will ALWAYS be over matched at the NHL level. He could MAYBE become a 3rd pairing or 7th dman but he'll never become a guy that you WANT to see out there. He will just never be able to match the speed, skill and reaction time of the NHL forwards. He's about topped out in his potential right now and that's not nearly good enough for the NHL.

Honestly, think Neil Little when you think of Svyret, very good AHL player but clearly not NHL material. There are career AHL players and you need some of them around to add stability to the team with the constant turnover in personel due guys moving on the NHL and such. If Svyret believes he's truly NHL material then he'll probably move on and try and land with a tema that may give him a shot. If he accepts his role then he could stay with the Flyers organization for many years.
Spot on! I had started to reply to this thread, but there's no need. I agree with you, 100%.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 05:22 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
I haven't seen him play in a year or two, but Syvret has great smarts and patience, and is terrific on the PP. His biggest problem (I think) is his size. .
Thanks for the info.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Spot on! I had started to reply to this thread, but there's no need. I agree with you, 100%.
Well, I'm not trying to argue with you guys here...like I said, I've never even seen him play. So, your opinions on the subject are certainly worth far more than mine. But, what makes you guys so sure of all that stuff? I mean, he's only 23 years old. Considering that many defenseman don't even really start hitting their stride 'til their mid to late 20's....how can you feel so confident about his potential already being topped out, and him being a career AHL'er?

Old
12-11-2008, 06:22 PM
phlocky

Svyret is a 4th year AHLer. He's acclimated himself to that type of competition and he realizes how to exploit those younger players just coming out of juniors. He is much like Nate Guenin in this regard. Right now, compared to Ratchuk and Bartilus, Svyret is the better player. However, watching them actually play you can see that both Ratchuk and (to a lesser extent) Bartilus are mosre skilled than Svyret but clearly not as exprerienced. Give Ratchuk and Bartilus another year of experience and they will be better than Svyret. Svyret is much more polished than either of these two but you can see the underlying skill in the other two and the dynamic plays they can make from time to time. With them still being pretty raw all things considered, they still make a lot of mistakes and don't read a play as well as Svyret. However, this is part of the learning process that ALL players coming out of juniors (or college) experience. Some players are skilled enough to get by and learn in the NHL while most need at least 1 year of grooming in the AHL. Sbisa is one such player but even in him you can see that his underlying issue right now is his inexperienced. Only his superb skill prevents him from being a complete failure in the NHL this year. Svyret will NEVER have the skill necessary to play at this level.

Old
12-12-2008, 01:53 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Svyret is a 4th year AHLer. He's acclimated himself to that type of competition and he realizes how to exploit those younger players just coming out of juniors. He is much like Nate Guenin in this regard. Right now, compared to Ratchuk and Bartilus, Svyret is the better player. However, watching them actually play you can see that both Ratchuk and (to a lesser extent) Bartilus are mosre skilled than Svyret but clearly not as exprerienced. Give Ratchuk and Bartilus another year of experience and they will be better than Svyret. Svyret is much more polished than either of these two but you can see the underlying skill in the other two and the dynamic plays they can make from time to time. With them still being pretty raw all things considered, they still make a lot of mistakes and don't read a play as well as Svyret. However, this is part of the learning process that ALL players coming out of juniors (or college) experience. Some players are skilled enough to get by and learn in the NHL while most need at least 1 year of grooming in the AHL. Sbisa is one such player but even in him you can see that his underlying issue right now is his inexperienced. Only his superb skill prevents him from being a complete failure in the NHL this year. Svyret will NEVER have the skill necessary to play at this level.
Fair enough...thanks for offering your perspective. You must go to a lot of Phantoms games. How many you been to so far this season?

Old
12-12-2008, 02:53 PM
phlocky

5, and there has been 3 on TV I think.

Old
12-12-2008, 03:04 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

we have too much depth on D

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 03:08 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
You never have enough depth on D

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 03:29 PM
phlocky

I actually like how we look on defense right now. We have solid young players in Coburn, Carle, Jones and Parent, all capable of playing top 2 pairing (some more so thatn others ut all 4 in reality at worst just a #4). With time Sbisa will be a nice top 4 and he may develope into a solid top 2. Bodrov, Marshall and Ratchuk have a chance to become a 2nd pairing dman and even if they don't reach that status at least 2 should end up being decent bottom pairing guys. Bartilus, Guenin and Svyret could become bottom pairing or 7th dmen. Honestly, just between Sbisa, Bodrov, Marshall, Ratchuk, Bartilus, Guenin and Svyret we can reasonably expect to find a top pairing, 2nd pairing and bottom pairing dmen just from what we have right now in the way of prospects. Add in the quality 4 young dmen I listed in Coburn, Carle, Jones and Parent and that makes for some solid defense for a good 5+ years without any worries about losing guys. We have not looked this balanced on defense in....forever. I mean don't get me wrong, I would love to have dmen of the quality Nash drafted a few years ago when they had Weber, Suter and Parent as prospects but I'll settle for what we have as prospects and current players.

Old
12-12-2008, 03:33 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I wish I could go back in 2-3 years on this board, and show them this. They would slap you.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 04:12 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
You never have enough depth on D
Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
I wish I could go back in 2-3 years on this board, and show them this. They would slap you.
i never meant it in a bad way

i meant it as in if we didnt have so many NHL calibre D-men on the roster (Alberts, Carle, Coburn, Hatcher, Jones, Kukkonen, Parent, Sbisa, Timonen, Vaananen) he would probably get a shot

Right now I'd say our depth chart looks something like this:

Timonen
Coburn
Carle
Vaananen
Sbisa
Alberts
Kukkonen
Syvret

so right now he's 8th on the chart without the injured Jones, Hatcher, and Parent

hypothetically speaking if all 3 of them come back and are healthy Syvret would fall:

Timonen
Coburn
Carle
Vaananen
Jones
Hatcher
Sbisa
Alberts
Parent
Kukkonen
Syvret

putting Syvret 11th on the chart. though i would expect Kukkonen and possbly even Alberts to be traded if thats the case

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 04:55 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

as of this moment, syvret is leading the phantoms for scoring. pretty impressive for a defenseman. maybe he's a career AHLer, but he could get a nod if we have another injury to a puck-mover. i'd have no qualms with giving him a shot at the big-time.

Old
12-13-2008, 11:04 AM
CantSeeColors

Wasn't Alex Picard scoring at the same pace at this point last year? If he couldn't crack the lineup of dinosaurs we threw out there last year...

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 11:20 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Danny Syvret is a carbon copy John Slaney

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 09:28 AM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Danny Syvret is a carbon copy John Slaney
yeah thats who he reminds me of too. though i think he may be good for a couple cups of coffee or maybe be a depth guy for another squad i dont see him making the flyers roster for any prolonged period of time. whereas slaney was a definite ahler syvret is probably more a borderline player who could be a 7 but not on a team with playoff hopes or serious prospect depth at d.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 10:41 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I like how everyone is so damn certain the type of player his is, Yet we havn't seen him in the NHL? So what are you guys basing your opinions on? just the AHL

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote