HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #33 - 12.13.08 | Carolina Hurricanes @ NY Rangers | 7:00 PM - MSG (HD)

Old
12-14-2008, 12:31 AM
danno2530

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Two points is two points. Sure it may mask problems, but I'd rather have problems and get two points then have problems and get zero points. I don't think Renney and Sather are that delusional to think they're actually winning these games. I believe it buys them time to make a move or get better. They ain't that stupid. Of course, if they know the solution is a totally different question.
This is my thinking. One game won't change anything and this team as currently constructed is nothing to write home about, but I'm not going to complain when they are at least obtaining points. Not to mention that so far they have done a decent job of avoiding potentially crippling losing streaks with games like this.

I haven't been around here much lately but I was at the game tonight and it was a decent enough game. Definitely sloppy at times, but it was really good to see Henrik bounce back after that debacle last night. He won us this game tonight and I shudder to think of where we'd be without him.

Also, I have to say that as abysmal as our Power Play has been all season, I really can't complain much about the PK..especially after killing the 2 minute 5 on 3, but they've been very solid so far in my opinion.

So I don't know..I would much rather be winning these games in ways that aren't a skills competition, but at least we're getting points and avoiding crushing losing streaks. And Lundqvist shows that he can have a couple of bad games and bounce back with an excellent performance like tonight, so that's something I can take some comfort in.

Two notes..first of all, does anyone know why the Rangers were wearing white tonight? I assume it's because the Hurricanes wore black against Philly on Thursday and they just packed one uniform for their road trip, but why were they wearing it in the first place? It was strange seeing the Rangers in white at MSG..I think they've only wore white once since they changed it in 2003 - during the post-lockout season against Calgary (I have no idea how I remember that).

Second, I was at the game in 416 with my dad and despite the fact that most of the arena was full, about 6 rows in our section were empty. We were in Row C and just about every row above that was empty..I'm not sure if I've ever seen that at a game..I'm guessing some group had tickets and didn't make it?

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 12:35 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
This is my thinking. One game won't change anything and this team as currently constructed is nothing to write home about, but I'm not going to complain when they are at least obtaining points. Not to mention that so far they have done a decent job of avoiding potentially crippling losing streaks with games like this.

I haven't been around here much lately but I was at the game tonight and it was a decent enough game. Definitely sloppy at times, but it was really good to see Henrik bounce back after that debacle last night. He won us this game tonight and I shudder to think of where we'd be without him.

Also, I have to say that as abysmal as our Power Play has been all season, I really can't complain much about the PK..especially after killing the 2 minute 5 on 3, but they've been very solid so far in my opinion.

So I don't know..I would much rather be winning these games in ways that aren't a skills competition, but at least we're getting points and avoiding crushing losing streaks. And Lundqvist shows that he can have a couple of bad games and bounce back with an excellent performance like tonight, so that's something I can take some comfort in.

Two notes..first of all, does anyone know why the Rangers were wearing white tonight? I assume it's because the Hurricanes wore black against Philly on Thursday and they just packed one uniform for their road trip, but why were they wearing it in the first place? It was strange seeing the Rangers in white at MSG..I think they've only wore white once since they changed it in 2003 - during the post-lockout season against Calgary (I have no idea how I remember that).

Second, I was at the game in 416 with my dad and despite the fact that most of the arena was full, about 6 rows in our section were empty. We were in Row C and just about every row above that was empty..I'm not sure if I've ever seen that at a game..I'm guessing some group had tickets and didn't make it?
im not sure, but i thought they did it because they want to sell both jerseys so they try to mix in a couple of games with the whites...

also, i wouldnt be surprised if those seats were bought by a youth hockey team that was there but might have been elsewhere watching the game in the arena....just a possibility

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 12:45 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
How old was this kid/guy? Just curious
looked 16-ish around there.

FromTheSide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 01:07 AM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalRanger View Post
unless tonging your sister is a tradition in carolina i doubt it
Interesting...I mean hey you never know, they could be from South Carolina

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 02:33 AM
Loffen
Cup mode: ON

Didn't catch the game last night, but just checked out the highlights.

Both a PPG and SHG not against this time. ****ing aye! Lundqvist looked better, nice chances, but again ends up in a SO win... lmao

Just read thru some of the thread. Mad love for Gianonne and Trautwig's sexual references huh? They can't be gone soon enough..

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 02:48 AM
Loffen
Cup mode: ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR6814 View Post
Al Trautwig is extremely annoying and I wish I could punch him square in the face.
this

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 03:40 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers3018 View Post
thats why i never go on the hurricanes board.

FromTheSide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 08:35 AM
bubba5

It was nice to see the Rangers wearing the HOME Whites. Just my opinion though! I go a ways back, late 70's watching this team, so this is what I am used too!!!!

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 09:18 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
I bet Redden or Rozi is dealt the day we get back to NY.
How?

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 09:38 AM
Levitate

I try to be patient with Rozsival, but he's definitely trying my patience at this point. I know he's usually sometimes inconsistent, but this year he's pretty much been consistently bad and I'm starting to get antsy. He needs to pick it up and quick. At least Redden and Kalinin have some good games as well, Rozsival seems stuck between bad and mediocre at all times. He's a better player than that and needs to pick it up.

But really, what can the Rangers do to improve their blueline other than a complete overhaul? They actually have good players, they just need those guys to play up to their normal level of play and stop making dumb mistakes. Calling up Potter and sitting Rozsival/Redden/Kalinin is not going to make the blueline better.

Also, Girardi is starting to piss me off lately. He needs to play the game he's capable of and stop trying to play like an all-star. He's a decent 2nd pairing guy and that's all.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 09:41 AM
Celestial Black

Glad we won but still the reason that was is because Henrik is solid in the shootout.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 09:47 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0rac3 View Post
Glad we won but still the reason that was is because Henrik is solid in the shootout.
On the other hand, we've learned that the Rangers actually do have to play decently in front of Lundqvist. You can't leave any goalie (not even Brodeur or Luongo or whoever) all alone out there, like the Rangers did to Lundqvist against the Devils, and expect them to win games. When the Rangers play decently well in front of him, then Lundqvist gives them a chance to win.

So, at its most basic, I'd say this game is at least an improvement over the embarrassing displays of defense we've seen lately

Old
12-14-2008, 10:04 AM
jniklast

when was the last time we could actually say "great game" about the rangers?

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 10:59 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers3018 View Post
It's not Alabama

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 11:00 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
On the other hand, we've learned that the Rangers actually do have to play decently in front of Lundqvist. You can't leave any goalie (not even Brodeur or Luongo or whoever) all alone out there, like the Rangers did to Lundqvist against the Devils, and expect them to win games. When the Rangers play decently well in front of him, then Lundqvist gives them a chance to win.

So, at its most basic, I'd say this game is at least an improvement over the embarrassing displays of defense we've seen lately
Ehhh, I noticed quite a few wide open chances in front like the past few games. Lundqvist came up huge quite a few times last night. He made a lot of the saves look easier than they were.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 11:36 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
Ehhh, I noticed quite a few wide open chances in front like the past few games. Lundqvist came up huge quite a few times last night. He made a lot of the saves look easier than they were.
No doubt, but there was a big difference between last night and other nights where the Rangers really let him down.

And again, most goalies in the league have to make several high quality saves a night. It's usually not feasible to expect a goalie to not have to face tough shots in every game he plays. Lundqvist is good because he usually stops those tough shots, and when they're playing normally, the Rangers D is usually good enough to limit those chances against instead of allowing them to happen constantly.

Old
12-14-2008, 11:36 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
when was the last time we could actually say "great game" about the rangers?
The 4-1 win against Phoenix was a complete and great game by the Rangers. Also, it's the last time we've had a regulation win, I believe.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 11:42 AM
Maineice11

Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
This game did not seem like it had much passion or heart, just like the devils game and recent games...I don't understand why prucha was sat and keeps being sat, he puts all his heart and passion on the ice every single night, moreso than most of the rest of this team.

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 01:03 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I try to be patient with Rozsival, but he's definitely trying my patience at this point. I know he's usually sometimes inconsistent, but this year he's pretty much been consistently bad and I'm starting to get antsy.
Lev, I'm afraid that Rozsival is exactly what was much debated several years ago. His numbers were a Jagr creation. Aside from a one-time strong playoff run, he has pretty much been masked by Jagr, a defensive partner who had to cover up for his mistakes and if that failed, one of the best goaltenders in the league.

Much of his offensive numbers came from being on the ice and passing the puck to Jagr at every opportunity. His +/- stat (once again just goes to show you how utterly useless that statistic is) came from being on the ice with Jagr at just about every opportunity. What you see with Rozsival is what you get now. THIS is the real him. And now that Sather outbid himself to sign him to $20m, there is no getting rid of him.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 01:28 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Lev, I'm afraid that Rozsival is exactly what was much debated several years ago. His numbers were a Jagr creation. Aside from a one-time strong playoff run, he has pretty much been masked by Jagr, a defensive partner who had to cover up for his mistakes and if that failed, one of the best goaltenders in the league.

Much of his offensive numbers came from being on the ice and passing the puck to Jagr at every opportunity. His +/- stat (once again just goes to show you how utterly useless that statistic is) came from being on the ice with Jagr at just about every opportunity. What you see with Rozsival is what you get now. THIS is the real him. And now that Sather outbid himself to sign him to $20m, there is no getting rid of him.
Unfortunately, you're probably right.

On the other hand, he is probably still not 100% from the surgery he had. The booing has also gotten to him

Even still, he's a 3.5 - 4 million dollar defenseman at best. It's pretty sad that we are overpaying our players about 8-9 million more than they deserve. That's an elite forward or two top 6 forwards we could have signed or traded for in the near future. Unfortunately, we're going to have to live with what we have and envy the offense that teams like Philly and Boston have put together.

It's 95% Sather's fault. I don't see how you can blame a player for taking the contract that was offered to them.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 02:26 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post

Nah I don't really believe this, based on watching his play with my own eyes. He's a better play than how he's playing right now, he's just not playing like he should be. I'm not going to get into a pissing match about player evaluation at the moment, so I'll just leave it at that.

Old
12-14-2008, 02:35 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Gianonne is such an idiot. I was rolling on the floor laughing, when Henke stopped the last shooter, and Gianonne had an orgasm, yelled "He STOPPED IT! LUNDQVIST STOPPED IT! RANGERS WIN!"

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 03:10 PM
Bury Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
Gianonne is such an idiot. I was rolling on the floor laughing, when Henke stopped the last shooter, and Gianonne had an orgasm, yelled "He STOPPED IT! LUNDQVIST STOPPED IT! RANGERS WIN!"
His voice cracked and everything, probably similar to the noises he makes when he brushes up against a fairly attractive woman on the train. What a jackass he is. When he says "Rangers" it sounds like Zordon from the old-school Power Rangers show.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 04:23 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR6814 View Post
His voice cracked and everything, probably similar to the noises he makes when he brushes up against a fairly attractive woman on the train. What a jackass he is. When he says "Rangers" it sounds like Zordon from the old-school Power Rangers show.
Wow, interesting comparison....

Who is gonna be the awkwardly effeminate robot?

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 04:35 PM
Bury Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Wow, interesting comparison....

Who is gonna be the awkwardly effeminate robot?
Trautwig, no doubt.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote