HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

LIFETIME FAN or LIFETIME BAN?

Closed Thread

Old
07-21-2004, 11:22 PM
KingJarl

vCash: 500
LIFETIME FAN or LIFETIME BAN?

"He (NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman) told us that the lockout could last 18-24 months," said one employee who was given a termination notice on Tuesday. Other employees who listened to Bettman via conference call say the league was preparing for a long shutdown." - From TSN.CA

My question is this: If the NHL shuts down for 1 to 2 years, will you continue to spend the same amount of $$ to support the league once it restarts (Cable, Live games, Memorabilia)?

Old
07-22-2004, 12:49 AM
Go Habs Go

yes....unless they bring Houle back to cut cost

Old
07-22-2004, 12:57 AM
IdiotsPickedMyName*

I'll save as much moneys as possible so when the league starts again i can finally afford season tickets

also i would like to see bet's get 50 lashes for every month i'm without hockey

Old
07-22-2004, 01:18 AM
KingJarl

I just don't know. I certainly can't believe they'd rather have a lockout for up to two years (and lose Billions- as a league) than come to an agreement. The average player salary is somewhere around $1 million a year. It takes the 'average' earning Canadian 20 years (at $40 000/yr) to make the same. I know everyone has to look out for their own, but c'mon people... there has to be a middle ground somewhere.

Well, I'd certainly like to read more opinions on the matter.

Old
07-22-2004, 03:11 AM
J-D

The average salary is more like 1.5 million (maybe more I don't remember). 500k, for an average, is alot!

Old
07-22-2004, 07:24 AM
YEMELIN74

Send a message via MSN to YEMELIN74
the problem is that we dont have hockey.... young kid won't play as much hockey as we did when we were young... and popularity of hockey will drop a lot and other sport like football (wich i love) will take more players.... if the habs dont play next year.... we will only have one major sports team the alouettes...

they need to find a way to come to an arrangement

Old
07-22-2004, 07:49 AM
mcphee

I'm real careful now about spending money on sports. If the sportt doesn't respect the fan and I pay big money to them well it says a bit about me. I spend money on the Als and I've never been disappointed. I'm a fan of the game of hockey at all levels, but spend my time and bell express vu money on the Habs. I follow the rest of the league after the Habs. If they resume in 36 months,I'll follow the Montreal Canadiens and who ever happens to be wearing the sweater. As far as the league goes, I'll follow the Habs. I won't spend $100 on a jersey nor any other high priced memoribilia. This is coming from a guy who works from a home office with walls full of various paraphenalia, from antique sports eqmt., to prints,cards,old photos and actually some quality art. I won't buy a pennant to make the teams richer though. That's just me though. I also won't advertise Nike products on my body and avoid identifiable brands on my clothing. My wife is a little tired of seeing her 49 year old husband in old concert T shirts though. Something about Dylan's face puts her off. What the hell, can't please everybody.

Old
07-22-2004, 08:02 AM
Legolas

I think you can still support hockey and even the NHL without necessarily supporting the lockout or the people associated with the league or the NHLPA. If there's a Habs game on television, I'm not going to stop watching it as a form of protest. I may not go to many games live or buy as much merchandise, but turning your back on the NHL completely is rather extreme. I was upset by the baseball lockout and the NBA and NHL work stoppages to a certain point, but I stop watching sports generally if they're boring or not entertaining, the politics of it all isn't important if you're watching a sport and supporting a team. Dumping your money into the league coffers is a seperate issue.

Old
07-22-2004, 08:49 AM
eddy

I'll still support the Habs and the league.

Old
07-22-2004, 08:59 AM
IcE ColD

Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
I'll probably will support them... but IMO, if the lockout is that long, there's a couple of fans who'll lose their team.. sad but true

Old
07-22-2004, 09:05 AM
markov`

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy
I'll still support the Habs and the league.
Same.

Old
07-22-2004, 09:15 AM
All-Star

After the last strike, it took me about 5 seasons to get back to the level of fanatism I was at before the strike (I missed most of the Houle years! ); not because I was bitter; just because I just got out of the habit of watching hockey on Saturday night. I really don't know how i'd react this time. I now have a wife, and a 2 year old daughter, so I have less options for things to do on Saturday night...

Old
07-22-2004, 09:23 AM
Fla15

Sounds to me like a shoddy excuse given to a large group of people to justify why they wont be receiving a pay check next month.

It seem fiscally irresponsible for Gary to shut the league down for that long. Any inroads he made into the American market and with the major television networks will be instantly erased. Let not forget that everyone is tightening there purse strings right now, including the big networks. So by shutting the league down for two years Gary will essentially be giving his already skeptical TV partners another reason to doubt the investment they've made in the NHL and the game of hockey. Result, instant cost saving measure.

I have a sneaky feeling part of the NHLPA's stance is "hey you cut some budget from your end and well cut some from our end". Maybe these NHL employees who lost there jobs are sacrificial lambs. If so that sucks.

Gary and the boys are to smart, a work stoppage right now would set the league back 20 years.

I think...

Interesting side bar, I was able to attend one day of the Habs prospect camp and had the opportunity to speak with a fairly high ranking exec with the team. Long story short I asked if they're preparing for a lock out - he just smiled and said No. Take it for what it's worth

Old
07-22-2004, 09:34 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I'll probably spend the same amount as always when/if the league comes back online. But that doesn't really amount to much. I already have all the clothing products I want, and there's about a 20-year lifetime on any given piece of clothing in my wardrobe, so there's not much recurring cost there. I don't go to NHL games very often.

All that aside, I'm just getting really increasingly put off by the NHL's position on this issue. Typically, I've been anti-union, and in general, I do still say the players' salaries have to be hammered down. But I just don't like the way the NHL is approaching it now. It's like they want to make a complete 180 from a CBA totally favouring players to a CBA totally favourinig owners overnight. It's impractical. When I look at the financial problems in the NHL, it still mostly seems to me like a relatively small group of "big market" teams is causing most of the trouble for another group of "small market" teams, given the disparity in franchise resources in this league.

Sure, a salary cap and absolute cost certainty would do the trick. But I just don't see it as a very good negotiating stance for the NHL to be so absolutely set on taking the extreme solution. That would be like the players saying they have to maintain the current system, plus get unrestricted free agency at age 25. It's nice to wish for, but it's not really a practical step from the current position.

If I was on the ownership team, I'd be prepared to go with:
- a luxury tax with some serious bite against the big spenders in it
- no easing at all of free agency
- no bonuses on entry level contracts
- cheaper buyout and walkaway options for the teams on player contracts

You can't make everything perfect all at once. Try the above for 5 years, see where that puts you. If it gets things in line by itself, well and good. If it doesn't, then the union has had 5 years in a more restrictive system, and the step from there to a salary cap isn't as big as it currently is.

Old
07-22-2004, 09:47 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
My wife is a little tired of seeing her 49 year old husband in old concert T shirts though. Something about Dylan's face puts her off. What the hell, can't please everybody.
Still, seeing the 49 year old husband in old Dylan shirts can't be half as bad as if it was those early 80's metal shirts, featuring the faces of Rob Halford, Bruce Dickinson, or Ozzy Osbourne! At least Dylan and his music is pretty much ageless. But when you've got an old worn-out, silky thin, hideously-stretched-in-all-the-wrong-places version of Halford staring back at you, then it's a whole new level of off-putting.
(Or at least, um, I imagine it would be... not that I have any first-hand knowledge of it or anything... )

Old
07-22-2004, 09:48 AM
Natural Habs Fan

24 months?

I'm putting my faith in the fact that these guys can work out a deal.

In my opinion the owners and the players are too greedy. Not just in hockey but all sports. Lower the damn ticket prices, cut salary & let the fan enjoy the game.

Now if there is a strike it would take me a while to get back into hockey.

Old
07-22-2004, 10:17 AM
NWT Habs Fan

As you would expect in any high-profile negotiations, each side is using the media to get their key messages and negotiating positions out to the public. The league is saying they are prepared to sit out as long as they have to (deep down do you really think the owners want their revenues cut off, their building empty, their fan and advertising sponsors turned away...I don't think so). The NHLPA is saying that they don't want to have anything to do with a salary cap (deep down do you really think the association and the players want their huge cheques to stop flowing, to have to make plans like a move to Europe to keep playing the only job they have ever known, etc...I don't think so).

It's negotiating in the media, and they both have real interest to get a deal done, so I still consider the sound bytes as just that.

Old
07-22-2004, 10:30 AM
oli500

Im still going to support my team 100%. The one person I wont support thow in Hockey is Garry Beatman. That guy does not now what hes doing. Hes going to Ruin one of the best sports in the world. I dont know if you guys remember when garry was the nba commisinor but when he was, that league was falling apart so badly. I dont remember if hes the one that resign our if they fired him but after he left the nba, it recoverd again. Now garry is doing the same to hockey. Destroying a beautiful sport. That guy has to get out of his commisinor title because if he dosent the nhl well continue to go in a pitfall.

Old
07-22-2004, 10:31 AM
Habs

I really don't believe a labor stoppage would last more than a month, or two. The league, and the players, know they can't afford to do this.

Baseball is still feeling the effects of their last work stoppage, and both the NHL and NHLPA, have this in the back of their minds.

If they did find a way to stop the league for a year, I would probably lose interest in the NHL alltogether. I really don't have a lot of sympathy for a player making 500,000 a year, or 5 million a year. I also don't have much remorse for a league who can't control spending, nor for irresponsible ownership who raise the collective salary structure on player contracts.

My neighbor works 60 hours a week as a plumber to support his family. I'll always be pulling for people like that, and not spoiled athletes and ownership, in todays dream world of sports.

Old
07-22-2004, 11:24 AM
MacDaddy TLC*

This is all still posturing. I doubt the players have the unity to stay out 18-24 months, but they do have other options, at in most cases, lesser money. It is still a paycheque though. The owners definitely don't have the wherewithal to go 18-24 months and are more likely to break. I highly doubt the New yorks, Toronto's, Detroit's, Philly's and dallas' of the world give a rat's ass whether Pittsburgh, Carolina, Florida, Anaheim, etc are still around at the end of the day. Personally I would like to see t6he owners give the players an ass whooping in this CBA and get some controls in place to keep the teams that can't control themselves in line. It is win-win. Unfortunately it'll never be win-win-win because i have a hard time seeing ticket prices not going up, let alone go down. A lot of people blame Bettman, but Goodenow is much worse for the fans of the game.

Old
07-22-2004, 01:34 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
Still, seeing the 49 year old husband in old Dylan shirts can't be half as bad as if it was those early 80's metal shirts, featuring the faces of Rob Halford, Bruce Dickinson, or Ozzy Osbourne! At least Dylan and his music is pretty much ageless. But when you've got an old worn-out, silky thin, hideously-stretched-in-all-the-wrong-places version of Halford staring back at you, then it's a whole new level of off-putting.
(Or at least, um, I imagine it would be... not that I have any first-hand knowledge of it or anything... )
I see you get it. It's more about annoying than about the T shirt. Sometimes I start talking about the Alouettes blitz package just to see her eyes roll back.

Old
07-22-2004, 02:19 PM
NWT Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
I see you get it. It's more about annoying than about the T shirt. Sometimes I start talking about the Alouettes blitz package just to see her eyes roll back.
I may not have a wardrobe full of moth-eaten, oft-washed Dylan tees to draw upon, but my wife eyes do glaze over when the Als are on TV and just has no interest in ever understanding the rules of football. That's okay though, as she is a Habs fan and specifically a huge Saku fan. Pretty good in my books!!

Old
07-22-2004, 03:49 PM
KingJarl

[QUOTE=mcphee]As far as the league goes, I'll follow the Habs. I won't spend $100 on a jersey nor any other high priced memoribilia.QUOTE]

That's about where I stand. I love hockey paraphenalia, but after seeing them argue over millions? I think I'll save the few dollars I have to throw around, and rely on good ol' CBC for my Habs games. After all, it's we the fans who are paying their salaries, right? If there were no fans of the game, it wouldn't be feasable to be paying them up the ying-yang.

Closed Thread