HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Carle

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-01-2008, 12:03 PM
  #51
Super Berg
Registered User
 
Super Berg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 605
vCash: 500
looks like Eminger is playing better for TB too., already has like 10 pts.

Now it sounds like most of you guys are pretty positive on Carle. I would have to take your word for it as I don't get to watch the Flyers too often. He seem okay Sat against the leafs. turned the puck over a couple of times but was good skating with it and making solid outlet passes.

My question is, how come he's worn 3 jerseys now in 1 calendar year? When San Jose signed him to an extension I thought he was there to stay. How come 2 teams have given up on him already?

Super Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 12:50 PM
  #52
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHope07 View Post
looks like Eminger is playing better for TB too., already has like 10 pts.

Now it sounds like most of you guys are pretty positive on Carle. I would have to take your word for it as I don't get to watch the Flyers too often. He seem okay Sat against the leafs. turned the puck over a couple of times but was good skating with it and making solid outlet passes.

My question is, how come he's worn 3 jerseys now in 1 calendar year? When San Jose signed him to an extension I thought he was there to stay. How come 2 teams have given up on him already?
Who said he was given up on? Considering the circumstances of each trade and the demand for young defenders, it looks more like he was in demand by the teams that dealt for him than he was given up on.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 01:27 PM
  #53
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Who said he was given up on? Considering the circumstances of each trade and the demand for young defenders, it looks more like he was in demand by the teams that dealt for him than he was given up on.
I certainly dont think San Jose gave up on him so to speak, they were giving up something to get Boyle, however, I am wondering how high Tampa was on him. I know they were trying to clear some salary, but they are significantly deeper at forward than defense and should have cleared salary that way. I wonder if they "gave up on him"

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 01:32 PM
  #54
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I certainly dont think San Jose gave up on him so to speak, they were giving up something to get Boyle, however, I am wondering how high Tampa was on him. I know they were trying to clear some salary, but they are significantly deeper at forward than defense and should have cleared salary that way. I wonder if they "gave up on him"
Was the Boyle for Carle trade made under the new or old Tampa regime?

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 03:59 PM
  #55
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I certainly dont think San Jose gave up on him so to speak, they were giving up something to get Boyle, however, I am wondering how high Tampa was on him. I know they were trying to clear some salary, but they are significantly deeper at forward than defense and should have cleared salary that way. I wonder if they "gave up on him"
I don't think they ever really wanted him in the first place. There probably weren't many who could fit Boyle under their caps and just took the best piece San Jose could offer. Their new management has also made some suspect decisions in general, to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Was the Boyle for Carle trade made under the new or old Tampa regime?
New one. The old one extended Boyle and the new one didn't want him.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 04:04 PM
  #56
thedjpd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smacklby View Post
i'm not even going to answer your question, since there is no sense to it, at all....

otherwise, i was just pointing out the obvious observation, and not making an issue out of it, just to set things straight.... nor am i disappointed in Carle, at all.... regardless, if he reads and reacts quicker on Samsanov, he would have been capable of preventing him from getting to our crease; that's all i was saying....
No sense?

Not all goals are because of bad defensive zone plays. Sometimes you have to give credit to the offensive player for slipping free, also.

Not every goal is because of a bad defensive play, and as such not eveyr goal is because of a great offensive play.

Samsonov is a slippery player - he got free for a moment and poked one in. It's easy to say he should have been covered - it's not like Carle thought "Nah, screw Samsonov he won't score" and purposely lost him. He's a hard player to keep up with - to his own credit.

thedjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 04:25 PM
  #57
bassassin
Registered User
 
bassassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: England
Country: England
Posts: 5,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I certainly dont think San Jose gave up on him so to speak, they were giving up something to get Boyle, however, I am wondering how high Tampa was on him. I know they were trying to clear some salary, but they are significantly deeper at forward than defense and should have cleared salary that way. I wonder if they "gave up on him"
San Jose were sending back salary and a nice young dman, who was expected to be 2nd/3rd dman and PPQB for the top unit. But Carle couldnt hack it and was playing bottom pairing dman minutes by the end of his time in Tampa, and he was alright, just not worth his salary for what he was doing.

It was a salary clearing move and you say clear forward salary, I ask who? And who do you replace them with? You are forgetting that the prospect depth on the wings is non exsistent and the centres are too important to trade apart from Gratton once Halpern is back.

So yeah that is a Tampa fans input, just was having a look to see what you thought of Carle.

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 04:27 PM
  #58
bassassin
Registered User
 
bassassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: England
Country: England
Posts: 5,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
I don't think they ever really wanted him in the first place. There probably weren't many who could fit Boyle under their caps and just took the best piece San Jose could offer. Their new management has also made some suspect decisions in general, to say the least.



New one. The old one extended Boyle and the new one didn't want him.
The new ownership extended Boyle after pleas from Feaster and Torts, but once those two were canned they had no one to argue getting rid of Boyle so they did.

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 08:53 AM
  #59
Brown21
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 68
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I still don't see where this is coming from.

I mean, we are literally talking about 1 bad play against Samsonov (according to Meltzer Gagne failed the clear on the TO goal by not clearing Carle's pass), and all of a sudden, Carle's defensive zone play is "awful."

Coburn is the much bigger worry right now.
I do like Carle, however Im worried with the way he played the last few games. Specifically the way he played on Saturday night. He was not the reason we lost the game, but was getting very frustrated with the way he was handling the puck, and a few times it seemed like he overextended his shift which made for a few poor decisions.
Coburn hasn't played as solid as he's shown he can play (like the end of last season), but I'm not yet worried about him.

Brown21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 05:30 PM
  #60
Raffl House
Registered User
 
Raffl House's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: South Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,849
vCash: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown21 View Post
I do like Carle, however Im worried with the way he played the last few games. Specifically the way he played on Saturday night. He was not the reason we lost the game, but was getting very frustrated with the way he was handling the puck, and a few times it seemed like he overextended his shift which made for a few poor decisions.
Coburn hasn't played as solid as he's shown he can play (like the end of last season), but I'm not yet worried about him.
Sometimes it is impossible to control a long shift. You can't just change every 50 seconds because you feel like it -- sometimes the play dictates you stay on the ice.

Frankly, he has made some decisions with the puck that aren't the best, but so has every defenseman in the league, including Kimmo. I've seen Kimmo make 2-3 bad decisions a game at times, but we let it slide. His entire body of work is what I look at, and to that end, Carle has been terrific -- great passes out of the zone, solid defensive work, and it appears he plays well in our system.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 06:54 PM
  #61
rusty_nails
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Thorold
Country: Canada
Posts: 204
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to rusty_nails Send a message via Yahoo to rusty_nails Send a message via Skype™ to rusty_nails
Why is he not in the lineup tonight?

rusty_nails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 06:59 PM
  #62
Mike Richards 18
Registered User
 
Mike Richards 18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,516
vCash: 50
lower body injury

Mike Richards 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 09:04 PM
  #63
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Who gets injured in warm-ups?

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 09:50 PM
  #64
Totally Radivojevic
Registered User
 
Totally Radivojevic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 973
vCash: 500
He knew Downie would McAmmond him.

Totally Radivojevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 10:31 PM
  #65
Kambo
 
Kambo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pennsauken, NJ
Country: Ireland
Posts: 5,357
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Who gets injured in warm-ups?
Cote.......

I really wasn't sure why he was a scratch at first. I figured it was an injury, but then it also occured to me that he might have been pulled out because of the whole Downie situation.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 10:56 PM
  #66
Totally Radivojevic
Registered User
 
Totally Radivojevic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 973
vCash: 500
Stevens' press conference:

Q: What is Carle's status?

A: "Yeah he just uh... (pause) ... I'm not sure what we're calling that, but he had something to come up late... an upper body injury that just didn't allow him to play... I don't think he'll be long term, hopefully he'll be ready as early as Thursday"

very weird.

Totally Radivojevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 08:44 AM
  #67
rban*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I certainly dont think San Jose gave up on him so to speak, they were giving up something to get Boyle,
Not to mention that in terms of young developing Dmen, they had two other than Carle: EHRHOFF and VLASIC, to whom they awarded long-term 3.5 mil/yr contracts.. and they look like genius doing so cuz both are really blossoming right now, playing very well under the tutelage of Boyle and Blake.

So point is, SHarks didnt necessarily 'give up on Carle' .. but they had enough young developing hi-potential young D (in the form of the previous two mentioned and to some xtent Murray as well) .. so they decided they needed to add veteran D (Blake, Boyle and Lukowitch).

3 young D and 3 good vets was what they needed, so thye needed to pick three of:
Ehrhoff, Vlasic, Murray, Carle.

I think they made the right choices.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 03:30 AM
  #68
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..
 
HellasLEAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Greece
Posts: 11,042
vCash: 500
are him and Timo the top pp tandem? that's what the minutes reflect...

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 08:30 AM
  #69
captainpaxil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,179
vCash: 500
with smith gone and kukkonnen in the perenial doghouse we havent had a real shotblocker on d til carle. i like what he brings to the team. but its what he does on the power play that is gonna reflect his contract. i think he may need a little more time but so far i like what i see.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 05:32 PM
  #70
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..
 
HellasLEAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Greece
Posts: 11,042
vCash: 500
back Saturday?

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 11:51 AM
  #71
Brophy
Registered User
 
Brophy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Redondo Beach
Country: United States
Posts: 600
vCash: 500
nope still out. "Matt Carle remains sidelined with back spasms."

Brophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 02:15 PM
  #72
chaosof99*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 16,614
vCash: 500
Matt Carle played his 12th game as a Flyer yesterday, which is the same amount of games he played for the Lightning. Stats:
TBL: 1G, 1A, 2P, +1, 6 PIM, 13SH
PHI: 1G, 4A, 5P, 0, 2 PIM, 14 SH

If weren't for the awful game in Toronto (which was directly before he went out on injury, which makes me wonder), he'd be +3 for us. Not a tremendous improvement, but I think he is doing pretty good and after his game yesterday I'm looking forward.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 02:30 PM
  #73
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Never noticed how little number of PIMs he takes.
Opposite of Coburn

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 02:36 PM
  #74
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!
 
DeadPhish5858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: the Shade
Country: United States
Posts: 13,476
vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Everytime i hear his name mentioned, i just think 'Hot Carl.'

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 02:36 PM
  #75
mm6492
Registered User
 
mm6492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,518
vCash: 500
He has really helped us to move teh puck better. he can clear the zone prety good. gets beat from time to time, but I have been pretty happy with him. See him as a great #3 for years to come

Coburn-Sbisa
Carle-Parent

is a good top 4 with others guys getting shots at it

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.