HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

T-Bay @ Ottawa - 2008/12/13, 7pm CBC

Old
12-14-2008, 09:59 AM
KingKarlsson

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
Whatever happened to sticking behind your players as fans? Im referring to your bread and butter stars here. So just because our stars are struggling right now all of them should just be shown the door? I have no problems questioning their play and criticising their play, but to actually want them off the team is mind boggling to me. Spezza and Heatley in particular have done nothing to warrant being dealt IMO. They did not pull a Yashin, theyre just in a slump right now. Plus, given these guys age, it would be simply foolish to give up on them.

I can only imagine if some teams gave up on their franchise players if they would have ever won anything.
Spoken like a true fan. Someone pointed out that the culture around here seems to be that it's cool to point our a failure first. When people talk about how they think Brian Lee's a bust, or how they think Murray sucks, they seem proud. Why? If you're a fan of this team, you shouldn't constantly be looking for anything wrong. Spezza seems to get criticized no matter how many great plays he has, and Fisher will never shake off that his cap hit is 4.2 mil. Sure, Fisher hasn't gotten off to a great start, but he's still a great player for us, and instead of seeminingly lining up in support of him, we line up trying to show him the door. I realize it's frustrating when we get scored on, but that's when the team really needs you, as a fan, to stand up and cheer.

KingKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 10:00 AM
mayoradamwest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKarlsson View Post
Spoken like a true fan. Someone pointed out that the culture around here seems to be that it's cool to point our a failure first. When people talk about how they think Brian Lee's a bust, or how they think Murray sucks, they seem proud. Why? If you're a fan of this team, you shouldn't constantly be looking for anything wrong. Spezza seems to get criticized no matter how many great plays he has, and Fisher will never shake off that his cap hit is 4.2 mil. Sure, Fisher hasn't gotten off to a great start, but he's still a great player for us, and instead of seeminingly lining up in support of him, we line up trying to show him the door. I realize it's frustrating when we get scored on, but that's when the team really needs you, as a fan, to stand up and cheer.

the "I'm smart because I can point to/predict somebody failing syndrome"

mayoradamwest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 10:15 AM
pepty

vCash: 492
I don't think its neessary to think the GM or top stars are above criticism, but its true that Sens fans are sometimes ready to turn on a player who was a former fan favourite and rip him to shreds.

Fans of other teams have sometimes painted Sens fans as fairweather ,band wagon fans who only support their team becuase they win a lot. A playoff run of 11 years is pretty unusual, the Sens are the only Canadian team to have a record like that and there are only a couple of teams in the league that have a better record of playoff appearances.

Maybe this year we will see how the Sens support their team if it is a below par team that doesnt make the playoffs.

However, picking apart and analyzing the team and its management is part of being a fan too.

pepty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 10:27 AM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
I don't think its neessary to think the GM or top stars are above criticism, but its true that Sens fans are sometimes ready to turn on a player who was a former fan favourite and rip him to shreds.

Fans of other teams have sometimes painted Sens fans as fairweather ,band wagon fans who only support their team becuase they win a lot. A playoff run of 11 years is pretty unusual, the Sens are the only Canadian team to have a record like that and there are only a couple of teams in the league that have a better record of playoff appearances.

Maybe this year we will see how the Sens support their team if it is a below par team that doesnt make the playoffs.

However, picking apart and analyzing the team and its management is part of being a fan too.

Not sure if you were just making a general statement or referring to my post specifically, but I did say " have no problems questioning their play and criticising their play, but to actually want them off the team is mind boggling to me. "

So I agree totally, but the degrees that our 2 stars specifically get torn up I just dont get. Especially when they represent 45% of our scoring our whatever the number was.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 11:20 AM
pepty

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
Not sure if you were just making a general statement or referring to my post specifically, but I did say " have no problems questioning their play and criticising their play, but to actually want them off the team is mind boggling to me. "

So I agree totally, but the degrees that our 2 stars specifically get torn up I just dont get. Especially when they represent 45% of our scoring our whatever the number was.
No I wasn't directing my remarks at you spcifically, and I don't really disagree with some of your conclusion.

Fans picking at their favourite team is to be expected when they are not doing well, although sometimes Sens fans are all too ready to throw certin players over the sde, witness all the calls for Alfie to be stripped of the C or sent out of town a couple of years ago.

When a player is awarded a large contract the expectations it higher and criticism gets hotter, witness Wade Redden, and that is a large part of what is happening now.

Last edited by pepty: 12-14-2008 at 11:27 AM.
pepty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 02:41 PM
Courty

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Aveuglette View Post
LOL. Sometimes I sort of begin to like Cherry and then he starts talking **** like this. He calls them thugs for wearing tuques? Terrible!
Exactly, if you ask me, calling them thugs for wearing tuques is an even worse example for kids than the players wearing them. Now im sure every kid in Ottawa who saw that thinks they are thugs for wearing tuques.

Courty is offline   Reply With Quote