HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rejean Tremblay on Benoit Brunet

Old
12-14-2008, 11:37 AM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
I agree that it is annoying to see people on TV that can barely speak french. With the number of games televised and the number of young people watching, it would help a lot of kids learn better french.

But I can't possibly start dissing Brunet for his lack of professionalism.
Tremblay is a damn idiot and he should have blamed RDS in his article, not Brunet. He has an analphabet stuttering oldie that is barely comprehensible that he should have dissed way before Brunet as well.

RDS isn't set as a neutral sport's station like TSN. It is obvious that every single analyst there loves The Habs, so I don't really care if it shows when Brunet talks.
To be honest, I never even realized about ''nos joueurs''..

I do agree that Dany Dubé would have been great, but he's on the radio.
Tremblay isn't looking too professional himself always whining about something and writing about it. We all remember the confrontation he had with Mario Tremblay where he was put on the spot big time.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 11:56 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
Agreed. They are catering to the Montreal and Quebec market with their telecasts so they should be homers just as every other team has their homer crews calling the games. There is no doubt who is calling the games for Sabre games and what side he is on when he yells "he scores" for a full minute!! The CJAD guys are 100% homers but nobody is calling them out.

Brunet has been at this job for a couple of months and Tremblay should never have written this piece. He comes off like a language cop because Brunet doesn't speak French as well as Houde. Did he ever say anything about Demers? Jacques sounds like a typical hick but nobody complains about his "tabarouette" or whatever the correct spelling is.

It was a cheap shot by an eternally complaining egocentric figure that most wish would just go away. Brunet deserves some time to get better and shouldn't get pointed out because his French is not up to Tremblay's standards.
In total agreement with you. I think Tremblay speaking about Brunet's unprofessional demeaner is really the pot calling the kettle black. To me, being unprofessional in the position Brunet's in would be, while the game's ungoing, to start talking about how his mother makes unbelievable pies or how great Lecavalier's new house looks. You know who I'm talking about, we were there not long ago.

Personally I'm one more voice for the Dubé wet dream but as far as I'm concerned, Brunet is earning his wage the same way he did in the NHL. He keeps things simple and doesn't try to be something he's not. I think he does an honest job and although he's far from perfection, I welcome the player mentality he brings to a cast of guys who have very little credibility in terms of hockey knowledge (I think the addition of Joel Bouchard is the same kind of positive reinforcement).

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 11:56 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
c'est diccicile!

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 12:55 PM
la25ecoupe

What happened to Y. Pednault at RDS? I read some of his collumn in the journal Metro and don't really relate to the guy..

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 01:07 PM
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor

What a classless move.
I'm a journalist myself and that's something you don't do. You don't publicly criticize another journalist, especially not in your newspaper. If you have something to say about his work, you give him a call or tell him face to face.

Naoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 01:49 PM

I agree with the article, and I'm not sure what Tremblay's reputation has to do with anything here. Demers and Brunet can be considered 'insiders' because they've been in the business for so long and they know many people that are still involved in hockey, but it's true that they lack profesionalism.

I like Yannick Bouchard, he's a good host and Joel Bouchard knows his stuff and speaks really well, but some of the other guys at RDS are really lacking.

I don't think I'd do a better job, so those guys deserve respect, but still, they should be working on speaking better french, and not be so damn biased, they're on TV in front of almost a million person.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 02:01 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
I agree with the article, and I'm not sure what Tremblay's reputation has to do with anything here. Demers and Brunet can be considered 'insiders' because they've been in the business for so long and they know many people that are still involved in hockey, but it's true that they lack profesionalism.

I like Yannick Bouchard, he's a good host and Joel Bouchard knows his stuff and speaks really well, but some of the other guys at RDS are really lacking.

I don't think I'd do a better job, so those guys deserve respect, but still, they should be working on speaking better french, and not be so damn biased, they're on TV in front of almost a million person.
How is that their fault?..
Teach a 40+ man to speak well. See how easy it is when you reached that age.
It's already hard enough for school teachers to learn to kids how to properly speak. Imagine how hard it'd be for a middle age and a border elderly man..

Blame RDS for hiring people with poor communication skills. Don't blame the ex-hockey player or ex-coach for speaking badly. That's just dumb.

What you don't about Tremblay's reputation, is that he lacks a great deal of professionalism as well (Brunet might be bias for Habs, but RJ has been dissing the habs since I can remember, how's that better?), so calling out someone for it makes him look like a big fat hypocrite.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Uber Coca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naoned View Post
What a classless move.
I'm a journalist myself and that's something you don't do. You don't publicly criticize another journalist, especially not in your newspaper. If you have something to say about his work, you give him a call or tell him face to face.
WTF? The word journalist is being thrown around way too much. Last time I checked, Brunet was an analyst. If he's a journalist, than I'm one too.

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 04:10 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

Tremblay just doesn't know what he's talking about....RDS is on the Habs payroll? Somebody should tell Gaston Therrien that 'cause he doesn't seem to know....and Alain Chantelois....and now Michel Bergeron....

Réjean Tremblay CAN speak about trying to speak a better french, though how much he really is that great, it's tough to say 'cause all of his articles must go through a "correction team".....But a lesson about professionnalism???? After what he did to Mario Tremblay? About his vendetta against him 'cause Mario wouldn't treat him like the superstar he once was but like any other journalists??? Should I refresh yours and everybody else's memories?

http://radioego.com/ego/listen/608

And then, do you or anybody else listens to his HABS bashing EVERY SINGLE DAY on the Michel Villeneuve's show? EVERY SINGLE DAY bashing George Gillett for making money, bashing the org. for not having enough frenchies, and ALWAYS bashing them...I mean he is the worst out there, worst than Michel Villeneuve, could you believe it? He has 1 great work about the org. in so many years and it was when they decided to build rinks for the people. THAT'S IT.

So tell me, even if they decided to be bash, and don't worry I do as well, do they deserve to be bash EVERY SINGLE DAY?

Is that professionnalism or is it more because journalists don't have the same privilege as they once had? Is it because they don't share the same plane now? Because Mr. Tremblay is not the Messiah he once was?

Listen to the Tremblay vs Tremblay tape and you'll see EXACTLY what kind of professionalism Tremblay has.....The guy has NO credibility as far as professionnalism is concerned. He could be a damn good writer, but not a damn good person....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 04:46 PM
SakuKovalev

I for one have a HUGE problem with Brunet. For an aspiring sports journalist, how frustrating can it be to see your dream job held by a guy who doesn't know how to speak french. Tremblay's work aside, I think Brunet belongs with Demers, commenting on the game between periods. Can we not have actual journalists covering the game? Gah I hate joueurnalistes

SakuKovalev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 04:59 PM
rocketlives

I don't mind our TV guys being pro Canadiens and I fully agree with Benoit Brunet regarding that particular penalty to Kovy. It was a BS penalty if I ever saw one and it was seconds before the end of the game, thus a 4 on 3 in OT which proved fatal.

Brunet's French isn't very good but he played the game and has an added dimension. Give him a few years and he'll be as good as Gilles Tremblay.

Rejean Tremblay should stick to women tennis and Formula One, or perhaps he should write another episode of Lance et Compte. That was a professional low blow to Brunet who's doing his best.

rocketlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 05:03 PM
Corky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Tremblay just doesn't know what he's talking about....RDS is on the Habs payroll? Somebody should tell Gaston Therrien that 'cause he doesn't seem to know....and Alain Chantelois....and now Michel Bergeron....

Réjean Tremblay CAN speak about trying to speak a better french, though how much he really is that great, it's tough to say 'cause all of his articles must go through a "correction team".....But a lesson about professionnalism???? After what he did to Mario Tremblay? About his vendetta against him 'cause Mario wouldn't treat him like the superstar he once was but like any other journalists??? Should I refresh yours and everybody else's memories?

http://radioego.com/ego/listen/608

And then, do you or anybody else listens to his HABS bashing EVERY SINGLE DAY on the Michel Villeneuve's show? EVERY SINGLE DAY bashing George Gillett for making money, bashing the org. for not having enough frenchies, and ALWAYS bashing them...I mean he is the worst out there, worst than Michel Villeneuve, could you believe it? He has 1 great work about the org. in so many years and it was when they decided to build rinks for the people. THAT'S IT.

So tell me, even if they decided to be bash, and don't worry I do as well, do they deserve to be bash EVERY SINGLE DAY?

Is that professionnalism or is it more because journalists don't have the same privilege as they once had? Is it because they don't share the same plane now? Because Mr. Tremblay is not the Messiah he once was?

Listen to the Tremblay vs Tremblay tape and you'll see EXACTLY what kind of professionalism Tremblay has.....The guy has NO credibility as far as professionnalism is concerned. He could be a damn good writer, but not a damn good person....
I already knew Tremblay and professionalism really didn't mesh well together and I'm even more convinced now after listening to the radio interview.

This guy has no credibility whatsoever and I think its a shame that Lapresse keeps him on its payroll.

What pains me even more is that us, as hardcore hockey fan (I'm assuming that most people that lurks through these boards are hardcore hockey fan), know that most of what he says is BS. The casual habs followers, on the other hand, assumes that what Tremblay writes is the entire truth.

Tremblay trashing Brunet for a lack of professionnalism is irony at its finest.

Corky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 05:13 PM
C4KOMI

i agree with tremblay but he doesnt get the fact that of the million people that watch canadiens game 99% of them take for montreal and brunet and rds knows that.
doesn't he see how obsess people are with habs from voting for every habs player in an all star game to booying every star player on the other team to filling the stands in every canadien game, even though they haven't won much in over 15 yrs.

C4KOMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 05:35 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Brunet should learn the players' names. There are no André's and Serge's on the team.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 08:44 PM
kyne

This might be the first and likely last time I agree with Tremblay, sort of.

I think more to the point is the fact that RDS as a whole is not very professional when it comes to their game coverage. I do feel some sympathy for Brunet in that there is no one available to provide any guidance whatsoever. Tremblay seems to hint that Brunet got the job because he's pals with a senior executive at RDS. What kind of hiring criteria are in place I wonder? Who here thinks Gelinas, Chantal, Therrien, Chantelois, Bergeron and Demers are the best at their professions? As long as RDS follows the populist approach as CBC does with the Leafs, it's not going to get any better and nor should we expect it.

Meanwhile, get Benny some French lessons and get him to use Gilles Tremblay as a role model. Even better, give the job to Joel Bouchard.

kyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 04:32 AM
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Coca View Post
WTF? The word journalist is being thrown around way too much. Last time I checked, Brunet was an analyst. If he's a journalist, than I'm one too.
Whatever. They both work for medias. That's not something you do.

Naoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 05:25 AM
ReVeuF

Tremblay is a Nordiques fan in heart, the "Lance et Compte" series proved it... and of course the Habs bashing prove it more.

On day he will know that the Nordiques are gone and Habs is the only hockey team in Quebec province...

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 06:18 AM
Corky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post
Tremblay is a Nordiques fan in heart, the "Lance et Compte" series proved it... and of course the Habs bashing prove it more.

On day he will know that the Nordiques are gone and Habs is the only hockey team in Quebec province...

I think for the first serie, they tried to get the Habs right but they were too expensive....

Corky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 07:36 AM
Phailak

What is funny is that clip about the grand prix from this summer and his own 'français correct' that he displayed in there (they played it this morning on CKAC). That whole piece would not have passed my high school's criteria for a french oral exam. It's easy to write for a newspaper and not have any grammar mistakes, quite another when you are live on the radio or TV. The times I heard Tremblay, he massacres the language just as badly as any other (not to mention the great pieces of 'Kébékois' he has in Lance et Compte).
Still, Brunet is bad. I don't personally mind since 90% of my friends and family speak exactly like him, even I do in a social environment, but at work it's different and he should make an effort to correct that (although he might be doing so already)

Phailak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 08:23 AM
kernkraft

Quote:

I agree with you (minus the french thing, I don't really care), but if you think their bias is bad then I have only one name for you: Don Cherry.

Of course, you already know that; however, we have to remember that we're always more critical of the people we know well.

Perhaps Brunet isn't that bad, but I am of course a little sick of his bias for french-canadians. Luckily, Houde usually sticks up for the europeans .

As for the "we" usage, I do the same thing. It's a convention, not to be taken literally.

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 09:26 AM
Joe Cole

point #1 -Consider the source.

A print journalist that is upset at an ex-pro athlete for taking away a job from another print journalist. All the "professional journalists" are upset because there are mroe and more ex-atheletes going into the media and competing for jobs.

The simple truth, they actually know the game.

point #2 -The obsession with language.

Only in Quebec do we lament over the quality of the spoken language on sports broadcasting. It is as if the actual game matters less than how you grammatically well you describe it.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 09:35 AM
kostitsyn1489

I find it odd that Tremblay makes an article about proffesionalism. Just doesnt make any sense to me. It's cheap to call some guy out like that in the newspaper.

The thing i dont understand, Brunet is a french-canadian rookie he should defend him shouldnt he?

It's his first year as a Montreal Canadiens analyst, he'll make mistake, i cant say I'm a big fan of his and yes im a bit tired of his consistent ref bashing even if he's right most of the time. I dont mind his french speaking too much, I'm not reading or listening to a guy to see how goiod he speaks french, but to learn stuff. Benoit sticks to the team which the prior guy couldnt do by any means. His french will improve with time, he's got stuff to learn there's no doubt about that, but excepting perfection from him in the first tier of the season is pretty stupid.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 10:39 AM
Mustafa*

Trembaly isn't good at hiding his jalousy... Clearly it's a cheap shot at a guy who haven't completed half a year as an analyst. I think that it is true that Brunet is a homer, but should i care? He paraises the good players from the other teams, as much as with the Habs. What i dont like is when they show their emotion as fans, like in this game against the Trasher, Benoit said that the Habs were doing pretty fine, and that they should win this game, and then during the famous 59 sec. he said "Je m'excuse Pierre pour ce que j'ai dit, là vraiment je m'excuse" what?

The same thing can be said about Tremblay, whenever the Habs would loose he make personnal attack against the players, the coaches, the DG, the owners... wow please be professionnal, we want annalysis or good insight not a big baby picking at the organisation because his favorite team isn't playing good or because they didn't pick the player he wanted in the draft!

Anyway i must be a Fefan... i just dislike the guy.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 10:48 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I think Tremblay should have just logged onto a message board and posted his little rant there.

Anyway, I like a certain amount of "unprofessionalism" in my RDS broadcasters. We are all Habs fans watching it anyway (except for Tremblay maybe), and I don't know if he's ever watched a regional/local broadcast for any other team if he thinks it's unusual for a member of the broadcast team to clearly identify himself as a fan of the team. I don't think Brunet is amongst the worst transgressors in that respect either. What I don't like is when a broadcaster shows individual player biases. Team bias, great, I already have that anyway, and they're welcome to reinforce it, that helps strengthen the competitive/adversarial aspect of a sporting event, which is part of the entertainment value. Player bias, well, I like to have my own ones there and don't appreciate having somebody voice different ones.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 10:56 AM
Kavliary2000

I think he’s a hypocrite because he sometimes participates in those terrible “110%” debates on TQS. He talks about integrity of the language, but participants on that 110% show use so much slang and regularly mispronounce non-French names in order to be humorous and/or belittle other people. They claim to be cultured and educated but then they do stuff like that.

He’s just on old school separatist. Its guys like him who are at the root of all the euro/English bashing in the French media.

However, as a bilingual Montrealer, I can understand why he is trying to protect the language since many children watch habs games.

That being said, he could of written the exact same article without pointing his finger directly at Brunet. Im sure the radio guys aren’t perfect.

Kavliary2000 is offline   Reply With Quote